Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo
Aaron Rodgers has 2 TD passes this year on plays in which the defense was offside – the rest of the NFL has 0

CQFM8EQWUAAqvYr.jpg

Taking those free shots is pretty big. Take advantage when you can.

It appears the Bears are selling the farm. We need to get in on that. Bennett? Long?
Is offensive guard Matt Slauson available?
We should acquire him just for you know what...
Brian Cushing would destroy him in practice.
Also former Longhorn LB Sam Acho. I'd take him

Luck limited today with a shoulder injury. He's been getting beat up this year more than I've seen in the past.
Yep. A much more worrisome problem with your throwing arm than what Mallet is dealing with. I'm not sure that Luck was not injured before the last game. His OL has not and, as it stands, is unlikely to afford him any more protection from the multiple sacks and hits than he sustained against Tennessee.

Colts quarterback Andrew Luck day-to-day with shoulder injury
2h -
  • Mike Wells, ESPN Staff Writer

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck is day-to-day with a right shoulder injury, coach Chuck Pagano said Wednesday.

Pagano said he has "supreme confidence" that Luck will play in Sunday's game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Luck took part in warm-ups but only handed the ball off to running backs during individual drills. His right shoulder is his throwing shoulder. Backup quarterback Matt Hasselbeck took the majority of the throws to receivers T.Y. Hilton and Donte Moncrief. Quarterback Alex Tanney, signed to the practice squad Tuesday, also threw in practice.

There's never a good time for a player to get injured, but this is definitely the wrong time for the Colts to be worried about Andrew Luck's shoulder.

"It didn't feel as good as I would have liked it to after the game [Sunday]," Luck said. "Take it day by day. I expect to play. Hope to know more [Thursday]."

Missing practice time is not normal for Luck. Earlier this season, Hasselbeck called him a "human Jugs machine," referring to the automatic football-throwing device, because Luck likes to take the majority, if not all, of the snaps in practice.

Luck has not missed a snap in a game because of injury during his NFL career despite many offensive line problems. He was sacked three times and hit four times in Sunday's victory over the Tennessee Titans despite Pagano shuffling the starting offensive line. Luck has been sacked 105 times in his career.

He gave a vague answer when asked earlier this week whether he was injured.

"Football is a physical game, right, we all know that," he said Monday. "You wake up Monday morning or Sunday night after the game on the plane ride home, you feel bumps and bruises. Some games are less physical than others, and that's sort of the nature of it. This past one certainly was physical. There are a bunch of guys, I'm sure, in both training rooms recovering from stuff, but for me it's sort of business as usual. Go out there, get over those bumps and bruises, those sort of nicks, and get out there and play."

The Colts (1-2) play two games in a five-day stretch starting Sunday against the Jaguars (1-2). Indianapolis plays at Houston on Thursday, Oct. 8.

Saints restructure Drew Brees deal, push more cap hit to future
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/30/saints-restructure-drew-brees-deal-push-more-cap-hit-to-future/

This is a desperate season for the Saints, making it inconvenient for them to be off to an 0-3 start. But they’ve added to their 2016 salary cap issues with their latest bid to create some short-term room. According to Field Yates of ESPN, the Saints turned $5.2 million of Brees’ base salary into a signing bonus, which created $2.6 million in cap space now. That pushes his 2016 cap value to $30 million.

I wonder if Josh Scobee and the Fat Aggie will be hunting together anytime soon?? Scobee missed two FGs tonight that would have buried BMore.

What in the world were the Steelers doing in OT?

4th & 2.....QB sweep to short side of field.

4th & 1.....throw a 5 yard out.

Le'Veon Bell had 130 rush yards in this game and they don't even give them a shot? Not only that but he averaged 5.9 yards a pop tonight and had 22 carries to 26 Vick pass attempts (at 4.8 yards per attempt). They deserved to lose.

What in the world were the Steelers doing in OT?

4th & 2.....QB sweep to short side of field.

4th & 1.....throw a 5 yard out.

Le'Veon Bell had 130 rush yards in this game and they don't even give them a shot? Not only that but he averaged 5.9 yards a pop tonight and had 22 carries to 26 Vick pass attempts (at 4.8 yards per attempt). They deserved to lose.

Tomlin has been making many questionable decisions the last few yrs.

Adding Haley, firing Arians would be at the top of the list.

Tomlin got a little too cute. Should have punted on the 1st possession of OT.
Also should have kicked a field goal on that 4th down they failed to convert. I don't care if your guy misses two field goals prior. You trust him to win the game. If the Steelers are desperate maybe they'll sign Randy Bullock to replace Josh Scobee.

Snoop Dogg, dropping it like it's hot. HAHA. Click the video. He's a big Steelers fan.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rs-k-josh-scobee-after-crucial-miss-vs-ravens

There should be some fallout over the officials putting 5 seconds back on the clock when they did. Instead of the two minute warning at 1:59, it went back to 2:04, essentially giving the Ravens an extra time out.

There should be some fallout over the officials putting 5 seconds back on the clock when they did. Instead of the two minute warning at 1:59, it went back to 2:04, essentially giving the Ravens an extra time out.
I haven't watched any of the replays but I thought it was the correct call at the time. I thought the Ravens completed the tackle before the clock went to 2:00. Since it was 4th down and there was a change of possession the clock would have automatically stopped as soon as the play ended.

Edit: After watching the replay Flacco was definitely on the ground at the 2:04 mark. It was the correct call.

Last edited:
That shoulder injury of Luck as I've posted before have to have the Colts at least a little worried.............they've just signed another QB, Josh Johnson. Make me suspicious there are preparations being made for a Luckless Colts team.

Last edited:
That shoulder injury of Luck as I've posted before have to have the Colts at least a little worried.............they've just signed another QB, Josh Johnson. Make me suspicious there are preparations being made for a Luckless Colts team.

You know how you do that thing where we start off talking about something as minor as a hangnail but end up talking about amputation & "done for the season"?

Is there any way you could put something like that for Luck's shoulder?

trey wingo @wingoz
Here's a fun fact: Every one of Colin Kaepernick's TDs this season (rushing and passing) have come when the Niners are down at least 25 pts.​

At this rate, what's another $2.6 million to next year's salary cap for the New Orleans Saints?

That's what the team added by converting $5.2 million of Drew Brees' 2015 base salary into a signing bonus and turning Brees' already gargantuan $27.4 million cap figure for 2016, the last year of the quarterback's contract, into a $30 million hit -- which would be tops in the NFL.

Read bottom to top........all within the last 2.5 hours

Zak Keefer ‏@zkeefer 49m49 minutes ago

Andrew Luck did take part in Colts practice today. Saw him in facility, wasn't wearing a sling/cast/brace or anything. Colts fans: Exhale.

Andrew Luck did take part in Colts practice today. Saw him in facility, wasn't wearing a sling/cast/brace or anything. Colts fans: Exhale.

According to a couple of players, Andrew Luck was at practice today. Not sure how much he did, but he was out there.

From my seat, Pagano is saying holding Luck mostly out of practice this week is due to rest, not because his shoulder injury is severe.

Chuck Pagano says Luck was limited today at practice. Asked if he remains supremely confident Luck plays Sunday, Pagano says "absolutely."

Chuck Pagano says Andrew Luck is questionable for Sunday's game.

After limited practices the past few days, Andrew Luck nowhere to be seen Friday

............and he's not scheduled for surgery.......real encouraging for a QB with a shoulder problem on his throwing side? Colts fans don't need to learn how to exhale. Better time would be lent to practicing holding their breaths..........for a long time.

Despite the enthusiastic tweets of the beat writer for the Colts (above), things don't look so good for the home boy.

Colts QB Andrew Luck limited in practice, questionable for Sunday
by SI Wire

Posted: Fri Oct. 2, 2015

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck was limited in practice on Thursday with soreness in his throwing shoulder, and is considered questionable for Sunday’s game against the Jacksonville Jaguars, coach Chuck Pagano said Friday.

Pagano said he remains confident that Luck would suit up.

Luck was officially listed as questionable on the Colts’ injury report Thursday. During practice, he took snaps but did not make a throw during the portion of the workout open to the media, reports Zak Keefer of the Indianapolis Star.

Thursday marked the second consecutive day Luck was limited in practice. Backups Matt Hasselbeck and Alex Tanney have filled in for him.

Colts head coach Chuck Pagano said Wednesday that he expected the quarterback to be ready by Sunday, but Schefter reported Thursday that it was unlikely Luck would throw much, if he throws at all, before Sunday.

In four years as the Colts’ quarterback, Luck has not missed a start. The last time he watched a game from the sidelines was in 2009, his freshman year at Stanford, according to Keefer.

Luck was again Limited today, and officially "Questionable" for Sunday. From what I have been able to gather, the injury probably occurred last game when it appears during one of his sacks, he fell on the ball (in the shoulder area). If so, he may have suffered a Grade I AC joint sprain (shoulder separation) [a lesser form of the Savage injury], and, even with the mildest case, if he tries to play, he will be unlikely to play Sunday with any decent or consistent performance.

Andrew Luck is scared, eh? I bet he doesn't play on Thursday Night against the Texans. He should play against the Jaguars on Sunday though. Get dinged up a little more. I'm only kidding but I can't wait until we smash the Colts!!!! We'll be in first place at 3-2 after we beat the Falcons and Colts in less than a week. That's picking up some quick wins against good teams.

dog-farts-funny-pictures3-e1443823161321.jpg

At a time when the football-following world is trying to figure out what’s wrong with the 49ers, a separate issue has arisen.

The audio says it all. A sound is made during a press conference. That sound sounds a lot like the sound made when air escapes from the body in a quick, violent burst. Of sound.

Many believe that coach Jim Tomsula, who may or may not have smelt it, is the one who dealt it.

Fartgate?

Chick Hernandez @CHICKatCSN
Per team source Ravens WR Steve Smith Sr. has 4 broken bones in his back. They will put him in wait & see mode (day 2 day)

Sounds like these fractures are lumbar stress fractures (spondylolysis). Significant pain and stiffness is likely to stick around for at least ~6 weeks and many times for ~12 weeks. Most players do not safely return to play until ~10-12 weeks, and sometimes longer.

lumbar_spondylolysis_intro01.jpg

Sounds like these fractures are lumbar stress fractures (spondylolysis). Significant pain and stiffness is likely to stick around for at least ~6 weeks and many times for ~12 weeks. Most players do not safely return to play until ~10-12 weeks, and sometimes longer.

lumbar_spondylolysis_intro01.jpg

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
On #Ravens WR Steve Smith: I'm told it's actually 4 broken ribs, which is considered a short-term injury because... Well because Steve Smith​

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
On #Ravens WR Steve Smith: I'm told it's actually 4 broken ribs, which is considered a short-term injury because... Well because Steve Smith​

Demonstrates the importance of accurate information........who do you trust?

This was the Ravens statement submitted 1 hour after Rapoport's tweet.
CQZwSJUWEAABHCs.png

Follow
Baltimore Ravens @Ravens

We want to dispel rumors and stories currently being reported about Steve Smith Sr.'s injury.

10:24 AM - 3 Oct 2015

Both vertebral stress fractures (spondylolysis) and posterior rib fractures are non-surgical conditions. Rib fractures emperically reveal higher level (thoracic) back injury. Ribs don't attach to lumbar vertebrae. On the other hand, spondylolysis can also occur at the thoracic vertebral level as well as the lumbar region.

Last edited:
I noticed that I didn't include the prognosis for a posterior rib fracture if that is what it turns out to be.........anywhere from 3-6 weeks depending on Smith's pain tolerance. Since he suffered 4 fractures, it may not be 3 weeks.

Keep in mind, that as of now between the somewhat contradictory Rapoport's tweet and the Raven's statement, there is still left some uncertainty as to what his exact injuries are.

Ravens wide receiver Steve Smith will not play Week 5 against the Browns due to small fractures in his back, coach John Harbaugh confirmed Saturday.

“I think he’s going to be OK in the long run,” Harbaugh said during a sideline interview with CSN's Lou Holder at Saturday’s Maryland-Michigan game. “He’s got some small microfractures in his back (from) what I’ve been told. They ruled him out for the Cleveland game. But after that, hopefully he’s going to be back.”
link

"Small microfractures".......Code for stress fractures.

Ruled out for the Cleveland game "But after that, hopefully he's going to be back"............Fuzzy statement that can be interpreted as referring to the following game............or the season.........

link

"Small microfractures".......Code for stress fractures.

Ruled out for the Cleveland game "But after that, hopefully he's going to be back"............Fuzzy statement that can be interpreted as referring to the following game............or the season.........
So is "Small Microfracture" redundant as it would seem to be, or is it a jumbo shrimp kind of thing?

With the news of Luck sitting, Matt Hasselbeck joins the 40 and over club, specifically becoming the 11th QB to start an NFL game at the age of 40. He shares that honor with Johnny Unitas and Len Dawson.

Also Brad Johnson. :spin:

With the news of Luck sitting, Matt Hasselbeck joins the 40 and over club, specifically becoming the 11th QB to start an NFL game at the age of 40. He shares that honor with Johnny Unitas and Len Dawson.

Also Brad Johnson. :spin:

I've always liked Hasselbeck. Dude's a gamer.

I strongly suspected that we would not see Luck this Sunday. With Luck being out today, his pathology, be it AC Grade I joint separation or even Grade I rotator/ Type I labrum tear, is likely to keep him off the field for at least several more games.

Ryan Tannehill Took Out His Frustration on Miami's Practice Squad Players

On Saturday during practice, Tannehill, after a couple of practice squad players forced turnovers, Tannehill made negative comments toward them, including saying: “Enjoy your practice squad paycheck, enjoy your practice squad trophy.”

Sources say this has been going on for the past few weeks as the practice squad players have been intercepting Tannehill and frustrating the former Texas A&M wide receiver turned quarterback.

Philbin told the practice squad players to take it easy on Tannehill to not affect the young quarterback’s confidence.

Dumpster ... fire ...

Back