Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

While there have been hundreds of references out there that the NFL doesn't hold the owners and the players responsible enough for their misconduct, how many times have you heard the NFLPA pushing for their members to be held fully accountable.

Lions 1st round Lions WR Jameson Williams tore his ACL Jan of this year. His surgeon Dr. Cain made an unrealistic return prediction.

Cain also called Williams’ ACL injury “straight forward”, which insinuates there was little or no residual damage in or around the knee. It will also obviously make his recovery easier.
Five to seven months is regarded as the timeline to make a full ACL recovery, according to Cain. Williams is about four months from his injury now, and has mentioned evidence suggests he’s recovering nicely. Being fully cleared at or near the start of training camp looks realistic, with Week 1 (approximately eight months removed from the injury at that point) then a realistic possibility too.
MARCH 2022 Surgeon's Prediction

Although the exceptions get the press, 10 months, the surgeon's ego notwithstanding, in general is a more realistic prediction after an ACL.........as reinforced by the updated report by Pelissero.

• WR Jameson Williams (knee) remains shelved on the non-football injury list as he recovers from the ACL tear he sustained in college. NFL Network Insider Tom Pelissero reported on Inside Training Camp Live Tuesday that the first-rounder probably starts his rookie season on the NFI list and "the likely timeline for his return is around November."

Mathew Stafford is still not throwing following "minor" offseason elbow surgery. Any elbow surgery on a QB's throwing arm is not truly minor, because it usually reflects a more concerning significant underlying condition.

Matthew Stafford won’t be participating in team drills, for now
As it turns out, Stafford did not undergo surgery as previously reported. He actually underwent an injection to his elbow. My statement regarding an underlying concerning condition remains unchanged. He has been reported now to have "bad elbow tendonitis." Rest for a typical case resolves the issue in a couple of weeks. He has been been experiencing problems since the beginning of the year, and prolonged rest has been entirely ineffective. His elbow injection earlier in the offseason was of platelet rich plasma (PRP) growth factors. The target would have been the ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) of the elbow. This treatment is usually used for chronic elbow tendonitis which usually involves damage (commonly partial tears) to the UCL.

1659643161083.png1659643081659.png

He has not evidently had any dramatic response to the treatment. The Rams are extending his "rest" period from throwing, with the possibility that an additional PRP treatment is entertained. Again, this problem whether he underwent a "minor" offseason surgery (which he did not) or a PRP injection is still quite concerning in that he is stiil unable to throw a football normally. Improvement following PRP usually occurs over a 3-6 week period. It can can be expected to improve the condition in only ~70% of cases...........over a period of 24 weeks [His injection occurred right after the SB]. And this improvement is not guaranteed to get the player back to repetitive overuse motions.........nor is it a guarantee that the condition does not progress as soon as the the player tries to return to throwing. If this goes on for much longer, the Rams and Stafford may have to seriously consider Tommy John surgery, which is not a guarantee of a return, or even with return that it is a return to previous level of performance

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
On July 26, Joe Burrow underwent a routine appendectomy. Something must have gone wrong, as he ended up with a PICC line (a special intravenous line placed for the purpose of delivering serious antibiotic treatment). Antibiotics today are hardly ever used in routine appendectomies. Cases like this are typically a result of the surgical technique. Aggressive handling of the appendix or when the appendix was tied off and cut, it was done in such a way to allow leakage of bacterial-ladenbowel contents. Hopefully, he does not experience a delayed postoperative intra-abdominal abscess.

Last edited:
On July 26, Joe Burrow underwent a routine appendectomy. Something must have gone wrong, as he ended up with a PICC line (a special intravenous line placed for the purpose of delivering serious antibiotic treatment). Antibiotics today are hardly ever used in routine appendectomies. Cases like this are typically a result of the surgical technique. Aggressive handling of the appendix or when the appendix was tied off and cut, it was done in such a way to allow leakage of bacterial-ladenbowel contents. Hopefully, he does not experience a delayed postoperative intra-abdominal abscess.

This is exactly what happened to me when I was in the 6th grade I went to Bayshore emergency hospital to have an emergency appendectomy. They sent me home after a couple of days and I guess they didn't cut all the diseased tissue out. Long story short I had to be rushed to Texas children's with a deadly infection and I was in the hospital on I.V. antibiotics for a couple of weeks. Worst pain I ever felt in my life. I haven't been back to Bayshore since.. don't even know if it's still Bashore (in Pasadena).

Last edited:
This is exactly what happened to me when I was in the 6th grade I went to Bayshore emergency hospital to have an emergency appendectomy. They sent me home after a couple of days and I guess they didn't cut all the diseased tissue out. Long story short I had to be rushed to Texas children's with a deadly infection and I was in the hospital on I.V. antibiotics for a couple of weeks. Worst pain I ever felt in my life. I haven't been back to Bashore since.. don't even know if it's still Bashore (in Pasadena).
Same hospital, but because of continued questionable reputation, HCA chose to drop "Bayshore," changing the name to HCA Houston Healthcare Southeast.

If you have money, the law looks the other way. He pled down from a felony involuntary manslaughter to misdemeanor reckless driving..............racing against another car at ~100 mph, jumping the curb, hitting some trees, rolling over and killing his passengerlong-time girlfriend.

The maximum penalty for a reckless driving conviction In Virginia Usually, a Class I misdemeanor, punishable by up to 12 months in jail and/or up to a $2,500 fine.

Like voluntary manslaughter, if you are convicted of involuntary manslaughter, you will face a maximum of 10 years in state prison and a maximum fine of 2500 dollars. This is in line with VA Code section 18.2-36.1.
******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Former Washington safety Deshazor Everett pleads guilty to reduced charge of reckless driving in fatal crash
Jul 20, 2022
  • i

John KeimESPN Staff Writer

• Sad
Panthers won’t decide on starting quarterback until after second preseason game
by Mike Florio on August 6, 2022, 2:08 PM EDT

When the Panthers traded for quarterback Baker Mayfield, many assumed he’d be the Week One starter, when the Browns come to town. And he quite possibly will. But it’s not a decision that will be made for a couple of weeks, at least.

“I’m not putting a timetable on the quarterback position until after we get back from the Patriots week,” coach Matt Rhule said after Saturday’s scrimmage, via David Newton of ESPN.com. “The Patriots week is a true litmus test for us. That will really show us where guys are.”

The Panthers face the Patriots in New England on Friday, August 19. Next Saturday, the Panthers play the Commanders in Washington.

Newton writes that neither Mayfield nor Sam Darnold had a clear advantage during Saturday’s scrimmage, so the competition continues.

The longer this lasts, the fewer the opportunities both quarterbacks will have to get properly prepared for Week One. Even if it’s ultimately Mayfield, the sooner the Panthers go all in with him, the sooner he can go all in to get ready to face the Browns.

Still, it’s up to Mayfield to seize the job. Once the locker room knows he’s the better choice, he’ll have the job. And if he doesn’t, things could get very awkward for the Panthers.

This is how a "loser" team makes decisions. Darnold has truly shown himself to be an interception machine.......throughout his career. The Panthers are needlessly splitting QB 1st team reps.......essentially stealing precious experience with his new team system from Mayfield prior to week 1.

This is how a "loser" team makes decisions. Darnold has truly shown himself to be an interception machine.......throughout his career. The Panthers are needlessly splitting QB 1st team reps.......essentially stealing precious experience with his new team system from Mayfield prior to week 1.

This goes back to what we were talking about earlier in the offseason with bringing in competition for Mills. Sometimes competition sets you back. Especially at the QB position.

It also goes back to the old saying that if you have a couple of guys who could be the guy, you don't have the guy. Mayfield has to be able to separate himself from Darnold or he really is crap.

Well, we had a HC who didn’t make up his mind until halftime week 1. So…

Mayfield may have too big a chip on his shoulder & needs more humbling opportunities than team 1 bonding opportunities.

I like Mayfield, I really do. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s making too much of the bad situation he just got out of

"After [Mathew] Stafford took limited snaps during full-team drills Monday, McVay said the 14th-year pro’s workload would be lessened. Following Tuesday’s off day, Stafford did not throw a pass on Wednesday, and McVay said the quarterback would be held out of team drills until at least when the Rams return to their Thousand Oaks facility late next week.

But Stafford participated in individual drills Thursday.

“He’s doing rehab every single day,” McVay said, “and then, hopefully, I’ll have some clarity on, ‘All right, it’s getting the results that we want, he’s feeling better and we’ll go see our guy do his thing on Sept. 8.’ ” ' LINK

UCL (ulnar collateral ligament) elbow tendonitis is usually an overuse injury of a baseball pitcher. Stafford only pitched baseball in HS for 2 years. But it is unlikely that this is mostly responsible for the problem.

In baseball, it's the pronation you see in the throwing of the slider that creates most of a pitcher's problems with the UCL. Watch the video below starting at 1:26 to see the responsible slider motion.

As a QB, this ligament will be stressed most severely throwing hard to the right outside. When he does try to return, we will probably see him minimize his throws to the right side of the field. He can try to turn his entire body to the right in an exagerated manner to lessen the stress on his elbow. But this would make his motions quite inefficient in order to accomplish this. If he is still having significant difficulties with his UCL, expect him to be throwing mostly down the center or to the left side of the field, especially as the season goes on.

As it turns out, Stafford did not undergo surgery as previously reported. He actually underwent an injection to his elbow. My statement regarding an underlying concerning condition remains unchanged. He has been reported now to have "bad elbow tendonitis." Rest for a typical case resolves the issue in a couple of weeks. He has been been experiencing problems since the beginning of the year, and prolonged rest has been entirely ineffective. His elbow injection earlier in the offseason was of platelet rich plasma (PRP) growth factors. The target would have been the ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) of the elbow. This treatment is usually used for chronic elbow tendonitis which usually involves damage (commonly partial tears) to the UCL.

View attachment 10466View attachment 10465

He has not evidently had any dramatic response to the treatment. The Rams are extending his "rest" period from throwing, with the possibility that an additional PRP treatment is entertained. Again, this problem whether he underwent a "minor" offseason surgery (which he did not) or a PRP injection is still quite concerning in that he is stiil unable to throw a football normally. Improvement following PRP usually occurs over a 3-6 week period. It can can be expected to improve the condition in only ~70% of cases...........over a period of 24 weeks [His injection occurred right after the SB]. And this improvement is not guaranteed to get the player back to repetitive overuse motions.........nor is it a guarantee that the condition does not progress as soon as the the player tries to return to throwing. If this goes on for much longer, the Rams and Stafford may have to seriously consider Tommy John surgery, which is not a guarantee of a return, or even with return that it is a return to previous level of performance
There is another condition that can be considered with the information that is accessible.........and that is flexor/pronator tendinosis..............a degenerative rather than an inflammatory condition (not a tendinitis). It presents with much the same symptoms as UCL tear.....as the attachments of the UCL and the flexor/pronator tendons are very close to each other.

1659900043988.png

It probably be a little more common in a QB (but certainly not common). It can take more than 6 months of conservative therapy (including PRP injections), and can commonly be recurrent. If conservative treatment fails, the flexor/pronator tendons must be reconstructed and reattached, much like Tommy John surgery. The only fairly recent example of this that I can think of is Roethlisberger, who eventually during rehab tore 3 of 4 of his flexor tendons off the bone. He was originally incorrectly reported as having Tommy John surgery was performed and he was out essentially for the entire 2019 season.

Roethlisberger was not the first. I remember Marino while playing for the 49ers actually had this condition and during his rehab, the flexor/pronator tendons tore away from the bone. He had surgery and missed the whole 1991 season including the playoffs.

NFL wants officials to emphasize illegal contact fouls this season
Posted by Josh Alper on August 8, 2022, 8:57 AM EDT

The NFL often instructs on-field officials to focus on particular points of emphasis ahead of the season and this year’s focus is going to be on illegal contact fouls by defensive players.

A league spokesperson told Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com that they have asked officials to pay closer attention to those fouls. Defensive players are prohibited from contacting receivers more than five yards off the line of scrimmage while the quarterback has the ball and is in the pocket.

The change in focus comes after a sharp drop in illegal contact fouls. There were an average of 97 penalties for illegal contact between 2002 and 2020, but there were only 36 fouls called last season.

The league has made illegal contact fouls a point of emphasis two other times in the last 20 years. Both of those instances saw a sharp rise in the calls, so the early weeks of the regular season should send a hint about if the same thing will happen this time around.

Who would that be?

Belichick isn't announcing his coordinators.....maybe he's going to wear both hats. Probably spent too much sauna time with OB, b/c there's only one coach on his current staff that tried and failed on that front. Might set Jones back a season.

Last year, Becton lost his season to an MCL rupture and dislocated patella (knee cap). He chose not to have his patella surgically stabilized, while he did have his MCL repaired. Once dislocated, there is an increased risk for repeated dislocation. That is exactly what happened yesterday, taking with it a chip of bone. After a second dislocation, he will undoubtedly undergo stabilization surgery along with the removal of the bone chip........another season-ending surgery for Becton.

Last year, Becton lost his season to an MCL rupture and dislocated patella (knee cap). He chose not to have his patella surgically stabilized, while he did have his MCL repaired. Once dislocated, there is an increased risk for repeated dislocation. That is exactly what happened yesterday, taking with it a chip of bone. After a second dislocation, he will undoubtedly undergo stabilization surgery along with the removal of the bone chip........another season-ending surgery for Becton.
Wonder if the Texans can make a trade for picks?

The NFL owners have approved the sale of the Broncos to Rob Walton, the former Wal-Mart CEO and the son of Wal-Mart founder Sam Walton.
Looks familiar. Country Club at its finest. Pro sports do a great job of non inclusion. Not critical of your post, but they let Jerry Jones use charge cards to purchase the Cowboys and the wealthiest black man in america who would be the 4th wealthiest owner in the nfl can't get a sniff.

It seems he's too big. He's a great athlete for a man his size, but a big man having lower leg injuries is a serious concerns.

Just SMH.....

Roger Goodell says tanking “clearly did not happen” in Miami; the facts show Stephen Ross clearly tried to do it
Posted by Mike Florio on August 9, 2022, 7:33 PM EDT

The NFL will never, ever, ever admit that one of its teams intentionally lost a game. Ever. The complications and implications in a world of legalized gambling would be too severe. From lawsuits to perp walks to the potential creation of a federal agency that regulates the NFL, nothing good ever would come from the league announcing to the world that one of its teams prioritizing losing over winning — and acted on it.

Three years ago, the Miami Dolphins prioritized losing over winning. At least, the owner did. The NFL’s investigation of Stephen Ross found that, on a number of occasions during the 2019 season, Ross “expressed his belief that the Dolphins’ position in the upcoming 2020 draft should take priority over the team’s win-loss record.” Although the league found that the Dolphins never deliberately lost any games in 2019 (the team’s performance early in the season would suggest otherwise), it wasn’t because Ross told them to ignore his stated preference. It was because coach Brian Flores did.

The end result has caused some in the media to naively assume that Ross was exonerated. It also has allowed the NFL to declare that there was no tanking — while glossing over the fact that Ross definitely tried to tank.

“The integrity of the game is critically important,” Goodell told reporters on Tuesday, via Ed Werder of ESPN.com. “I think the findings are very clear . . . and while tanking clearly did not happen here, we all have to understand our words, our actions have implications and we have to be careful.”

Tanking didn’t happen only because Flores refused to go through with it. Ross clearly wanted Flores to do it. Flores felt sufficiently pressured to do it to sound the alarm internally. The NFL has not disclosed the communication Flores distributed to key team executives. That document would go a long way toward showing how aggressive the tanking effort was.

Don’t count on the league ever doing it. Tanking can never be acknowledged by the league. Even when it happens. As it did in Week 17 of the 2014 season, when the Bucs clearly blew a game against the Saints in order to get the first pick in the next draft.

The temptation will linger until the league changes its procedure for determining draft order. The best way to do it would be to have a lottery that gives all non-playoff teams an equal shot at getting the first pick, and so on. No one is going to blow a playoff berth for a one-in-18 chance to get the top spot in the draft. And there would be no reason for the worst of the non-playoff teams to try to lose a late-season game, since it wouldn’t improve their draft status.

NFL plans Black Friday game in 2023
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 10, 2022, 8:03 AM EDT

Thanksgiving has long been one of the biggest days on the NFL calendar, but soon the day after Thanksgiving will get in on the action as well.
The NFL is planning to play a Black Friday game in 2023, John Ourand of Sports Business Journal reports. It would presumably become part of the regular NFL schedule after that.

Amazon Prime Video will stream the game. Amazon already has the Thursday Night Football package, but that package does not include any of the three Thanksgiving games, which are televised by Fox, CBS and NBC. Amazon is expected to pay something approaching $100 million for the rights to stream that single game on a Friday.

The game will likely be played during the afternoon, as the league can’t televise prime time games on Friday nights in November as part of its antitrust exemption.

Back