Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

As things stand now, there are more communities desperate for a pro sports team than there are pro sports teams. As long as that is the case, and the American sports system stays the way it is (vs for example the European system, which also isn't perfect, where any town can have a pro team competing on some level with promotion/relegation), the taxpayers will continue to fund these cathedrals of greed.

Those cities can have those teams.

I'm fundamentally against taxpayer funded stadiums.

It's the reason I'm glad the Astrodome is still standing. Despite doing everything possible to kill possible projects for use of the dome and have it razed, the old girl is still standing and Bob McNair had to look at it every day he went to work for the rest of his life.

As things stand now, there are more communities desperate for a pro sports team than there are pro sports teams. As long as that is the case, and the American sports system stays the way it is (vs for example the European system, which also isn't perfect, where any town can have a pro team competing on some level with promotion/relegation), the taxpayers will continue to fund these cathedrals of greed.

I believe the San Antonio / Austin area would be a perfect home for an NFL franchise. Duck Jerry Jones and Cal…..Texas could easily support a 3rd NFL team.

Gambling has a been a part of every sport in the world for who knows how long, and it hasn't brought any of them down yet. Nothing lasts forever, so eventually all of this will crumble, but not any time soon. Gambling is just another revenue stream, and it will work just fine.

Legalized gambling being embraced by professional sports leagues is a recent phenomenon.

Don't overlook the Black Sox Scandal in 1919 that has been the historical red line for all pro sports teams and why it is only recently that pro sports has started to embrace the gambling revenue.

Billionaire owners do not want congressional involvement with their leagues, and that's where this will ultimately lead once the inevitable scandal happens.

And acting like any league is too big to fail is just naive. Sports fans often ignore real world implications out of misguided delusions.

Texas Drillers (San Antonio/Austin)
Name & 4th Team Location???
I dunno, that's a good question ?
What about this - the state of Oklahoma gets their own NFL football team and we invite them to join the Texas division ?
And you know the Okies would support their own NFL franchise, and it would sellout every Sunday.

If Bates is on the trading block I hope Caserio is on the phone. Would be an excellent fit and make the Texans secondary one to watch.

I really liked the thought of Bates as the Texans deep safety / coverage safety and I remembered this discussion from a few weeks back. Let’s just say I doubt he will be in Steel Blue regardless of the outcome with Cincinnati.

He’s always been business-savvy and with an eye on playing perfectly a system that’s more often than not set up against the NFL player. Bates even rose to be the Bengals’ team NFLPA rep and expressed frustration with the collectively bargained negotiation of the franchise tag element of the CBA earlier this year.……

He made $4.9 million in the four years of his slotted rookie contract before receiving the franchise tag this past March.

After doing that deal and beginning his career with a hometown agent in Fort Wayne, Bates eventually switched to super-agent David Mulugheta. He’s among the most powerful in sports and has done as many recent large contracts as anybody in the NFL.

I really liked the thought of Bates as the Texans deep safety / coverage safety and I remembered this discussion from a few weeks back. Let’s just say I doubt he will be in Steel Blue regardless of the outcome with Cincinnati.

Ew, MuluGhetto is his agent? No thanks!

I dunno, that's a good question ?
What about this - the state of Oklahoma gets their own NFL football team and we invite them to join the Texas division ?
And you know the Okies would support their own NFL franchise, and it would sellout every Sunday.

Oklahoma Dusters.....sort of dig that even though it references the Dust Bowl that began a severe drought in 1930.

Guess NFL coaches sign away their right to freedom of speech.

Wonder if this will pass censorship?

:coffee:

True, in the January 6th incident only 1 person was shot and killed. In the BLM riots many people were shot and killed. There were many people shot and killed. Rivera got this right, there really are no comparisons.

Exclusive: Star RB Chris Carson Breaks Silence on Future With Seahawks

• Updated Jun 10, 2022 at 7:36pm

There has been plenty of speculation about Chris Carson’s future with the Seattle Seahawks, but the star running back made it clear he wants to play next season. During an exclusive interview with Heavy.com, Carson discussed his future, the new-look Seahawks and how he is helping tight end Noah Fant get to know the city of Seattle through their shared partnership with USAA movers.

“Oh, we still going right now,” Carson told Heavy regarding his future during a June 10, 2022 interview. “I see myself playing until I feel like stopping. My mindset is never to give up. So, I’m staying positive like I said, and continue to fight and get back onto the field.”
THE REST OF THE STORY

********************************************************************************************************

If the Seahawks medical staff consider clearing him after a fusion of C4-C5-C6, they ought to be shot. Two level fusions are only entertained for return to play for non-head contact sports like basketball and baseball. These players have significant deficient ability to flex the neck......for a running back that would be especially irresponsible. Even without the trauma of football, the stress on the adjacent cervical level is immense and commonly leads to additional fusion(s). With the subsequent trauma of football, you think in terms of adjacent cervical fractures and high risk for spinal cord injury.

Last edited:
Legalized gambling being embraced by professional sports leagues is a recent phenomenon.

Don't overlook the Black Sox Scandal in 1919 that has been the historical red line for all pro sports teams and why it is only recently that pro sports has started to embrace the gambling revenue.

Billionaire owners do not want congressional involvement with their leagues, and that's where this will ultimately lead once the inevitable scandal happens.

And acting like any league is too big to fail is just naive. Sports fans often ignore real world implications out of misguided delusions.

In the UK, for example, you can place your bet at the stadium (maybe not all of them), before the game starts. And it's been the case for decades. Yes, it's a recent development in the US, but we have elsewhere in the world to look at to see how it may develop. Yes, there have been scandals, but honestly I don't remember one involving a prominent player since the 80's. With players salaries going up, it's less likely to happen. Not saying it won't, but I don't see it as a huge incentive to a player that is already making a ton of money. And bottom of the roster players, not making a whole lot, are not going to be able to make enough of a impact to guarantee a game result.

And I'm not acting like anything is too big to fail. Like I said, nothing lasts forever.

Titans are a likely regression candidate this season:

At some point, should GM Jon Robinson be catching some heat? This pick, the 2020 first round pick on Isaiah Wilson who is already out of the league. He also spent pick the 7th pick in the 2018 draft on Jake Conklin, the 5th pick in 2017 on Corey Davis and the 2nd pick in 2016 on Marcus Mariota. With all that draft capital, those players are not even on the roster.

@steelbtexan, you still think Robinson is a good GM?

Last edited:
At some point, should GM Jon Robinson be catching some heat? This pick, the 2020 first round pick on Isaiah Wilson who is out of the league. He also spent pick the 7th pick in the 2018 draft on Jake Conklin and the 5th pick in 2017 on Corey Davis. Neither player is on the roster.

@steelbtexan, you still think Robinson is a good GM?

His teams seem to make the playoffs regularly. He drafted Conklin who played at a high level. He rightly let him walk after his 1st contract and made a bad pick in Wilson trying to replace him.

He missed on Davis although Davis is a NFL quality wr. He made up for this pick with the Brown pick and rightfully let him walk after his 1st contract. He replaced Brown by drafting Burks and it remains to be seen if he hit on Burks. He's hit on great players like Henry in the 2nd and Simmons, so overall I would say he's done a solid job.

His teams seem to make the playoffs regularly. He drafted Conklin who played at a high level. He rightly let him walk after his 1st contract and made a bad pick in Wilson trying to replace him.

He missed on Davis although Davis is a NFL quality wr. He made up for this pick with the Brown pick and rightfully let him walk after his 1st contract. He replaced Brown by drafting Burks and it remains to be seen if he hit on Burks. He's hit on great players like Henry in the 2nd and Simmons, so overall I would say he's done a solid job.
Isiah Wilson was huge embarrassing miss. You forgot about the disastrous Julio Jones trade. Vrabel said only a few weeks before AJ Brown was traded he would never trade Brown as long as he was HC. Burks showed up fat and could not finish the conditioning drills. Word on the street is Burks has a lazy streak. When you look at Robinson's overall performance he gets a C- at best. When your 1st RD draft picks don't get a 2nd contract that's not a good thing. That's what they call negative yardage.

Pretty sure Rick Smith's teams made the playoffs regularly, too....

Pretty sure Rick Smith's teams made the playoffs regularly, too....

Not regularly, they missed several yrs, including 2010 when he should've been fired. Difference is when did you think the Texans were true contenders? I felt the Titans were true contenders with the #1 seed last yr. Did you feel this way and if you didn't why didn't you feel this way?

Isiah Wilson was huge embarrassing miss. You forgot about the disastrous Julio Jones trade. Vrabel said only a few weeks before AJ Brown was traded he would never trade Brown as long as he was HC. Burks showed up fat and could not finish the conditioning drills. Word on the street is Burks has a lazy streak. When you look at Robinson's overall performance he gets a C- at best. When your 1st RD draft picks don't get a 2nd contract that's not a good thing. That's what they call negative yardage.

Conklin hurt his knee.

Agreed about Wilson

We'll see about Burks. He looked pretty good at Arkansas. I dont expect him to be as good as Brown. A #1 seed usually doesn't have a C- GM.

Is he the best GM? Nope, is he a C- GM? Nope. IMHO

Not regularly, they missed several yrs, including 2010 when he should've been fired. Difference is when did you think the Texans were true contenders? I felt the Titans were true contenders with the #1 seed last yr. Did you feel this way and if you didn't why didn't you feel this way?
I don't trust the Titans the same way I don't trust the Texans. They'll just find a way to f'k it up.

My point was you hated Rick Smith even though the Texans regularly made the playoffs.

I don't trust the Titans the same way I don't trust the Texans. They'll just find a way to f'k it up.

My point was you hated Rick Smith even though the Texans regularly made the playoffs.

I didn't hate RS.

I just (Rightfully) thought he wasn't very good at his job. He was more of a politician than a talent evaluator. Zero AFCCG's while he was GM.

Back