Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Former Texan dead at 33.

1639155200491.png

Police say they found Thomas deceased in his Roswell, GA home Thursday night, with preliminary reports suggest the death stemmed from a medical issue stemming from a February 2019 rollover car crash. This link is questionable. He had been suffering from recurrent seizures for the past year, and it appears that he had one in the shower where he was found.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Vikings LB Ryan Connelly was knocked out of yesterday's night game with a "knee injury." Although not officially reported, the injury appeared to be a classic ACL.

Boris

All Pro

In the past two weeks alone, sources say:

- Receiver Marvin Jones -- one of the locker room's most respected and mild-mannered veterans -- became so angry with Meyer's public and private criticism of the receiver group that he left the facility until other staff members convinced him to come back and had a heated argument with Meyer during practice.

- During a staff meeting, Meyer delivered a biting message that he's a winner and his assistant coaches are losers, according to several people informed of the contents of the meeting, challenging each coach individually to explain when they've ever won and forcing them to defend their résumés.

- Contrary to his public statements that it was injury-related, Meyer ordered Robinson's benching after an opening-drive fumble in last week's 37-7 road loss to the Rams, then had running backs coach Bernie Parmalee stop Robinson from re-entering the game, insisting Carlos Hyde (who played for Meyer at Ohio State) stay in. Only after Lawrence questioned Meyer on the sideline about Robinson's absence was Robinson allowed to return late in the second quarter. (Speaking to reporters this week, Lawrence said: "Bottom line is James is one of our best players and he's got to be on the field and we addressed it, and I feel like we're in a good spot and the whole team, we're good.")

Several Jaguars players vented their frustration to Rams players after that game, sources say, reiterating a common complaint that Meyer -- who had no prior NFL experience -- doesn't treat them like adults. And

badboy

Hall of Fame

- Receiver Marvin Jones -- one of the locker room's most respected and mild-mannered veterans -- became so angry with Meyer's public and private criticism of the receiver group that he left the facility until other staff members convinced him to come back and had a heated argument with Meyer during practice.

- During a staff meeting, Meyer delivered a biting message that he's a winner and his assistant coaches are losers, according to several people informed of the contents of the meeting, challenging each coach individually to explain when they've ever won and forcing them to defend their résumés.

- Contrary to his public statements that it was injury-related, Meyer ordered Robinson's benching after an opening-drive fumble in last week's 37-7 road loss to the Rams, then had running backs coach Bernie Parmalee stop Robinson from re-entering the game, insisting Carlos Hyde (who played for Meyer at Ohio State) stay in. Only after Lawrence questioned Meyer on the sideline about Robinson's absence was Robinson allowed to return late in the second quarter. (Speaking to reporters this week, Lawrence said: "Bottom line is James is one of our best players and he's got to be on the field and we addressed it, and I feel like we're in a good spot and the whole team, we're good.")

Several Jaguars players vented their frustration to Rams players after that game, sources say, reiterating a common complaint that Meyer -- who had no prior NFL experience -- doesn't treat them like adults. And
The Urban Meyer Situation
Recently, Meyer decided not to fly home with his team from their Thursday night loss in Cincinnati (an unusual move for an NFL head coach). Instead, Meyer claims he was spending the weekend with family in Ohio. Footage from the weekend showed Meyer in a bar with what appears to be a young woman dancing on/near Meyer at an Ohio restaurant. Another video appears to show Meyer touching the woman’s backside. All this may not sound like a big deal, but for the fact that Meyer claimed he didn’t fly back with the team to be with his family. Additionally, as an NFL head coach, he was already engaging in unusual behavior by not being with the team after a loss. Making matters even more unusual, Jaguars owner Shad Kahn issued a strong statement regarding Meyer’s behavior, essentially blasting the head coach.

All this begs the question, if the Jaguars fire Meyer, do they have to pay him? The answer will largely depend on the specific language in Meyer’s contract (of which I am not privy).

Most NFL head coaches have guaranteed salaries in the event of termination for “performance.” Said another way, if the owner doesn’t like the direction of the team, he can fire the head coach, but he’ll likely have to pay the coach the balance of the salary due on the head coach’s contract. NFL coaches’ contracts also have a termination “for cause” provision. If a coach is terminated “for cause” the team would not have to pay the coach the balance due under the contract.

If I’m Jacksonville’s counsel I would take the following positions:

1. Meyer’s termination is “for cause” based on his intentional deception. Specifically, I would argue that Meyer intentionally deceived the team when he claimed he was staying in Ohio to visit family. I’d argue that video evidence shows Meyer doing anything but visiting family. I’d further argue that by not being with the team during this period to engage in the activities shown on the video is a severe performance deficiency which justifies a termination for cause.
  2. I’d also argue that Meyer’s termination is “for cause” because in addition to his deception, he further violated the “morals clause” in his contract. Specifically, I would take the position that the video evidence shows Meyer, a married man, in a compromising position with a woman that is not his wife.
Regardless of the language in Meyer’s contract, the standard for establishing a “for cause” termination is generally very high. The same holds for violating a contractual “morals clause.” Without knowing the specific contractual language in Meyer’s deal, it’s hard to tell if either of the above arguments would prevail. That said, Jacksonville likely has a better case arguing that the termination is “for cause” based on Meyer’s deception. The bottom line is, absent serious personal issues, NFL head coaches are expected to be with the team at all times. Whatever Meyer was doing in Ohio, the video appears to establish he wasn’t with his family the entire time. Intentional deception is likely Jacksonville’s best argument that Meyer committed a “for cause” violation.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

To continue your link goes on...

And the staff meeting follows a pattern of tense interactions between Meyer and his assistants dating back to the offseason. After opening the preseason with consecutive losses, for instance, sources say Meyer informed assistants that he was sick of being embarrassed and if the team didn't start winning immediately, some of them wouldn't be around for a second year.

There has been staff turnover since Meyer arrived in January, for a variety of reasons. Meyer's hand-picked strength and conditioning coach, Chris Doyle, resigned under pressure in February after renewed focus on the allegations of racial remarks that had led to Doyle's separation agreement at the University of Iowa in 2020. Special teams coordinator Brian Schneider took a leave of absence in May for personal reasons and did not return. Meyer's chief of staff, Fernando Lovo, left the team last month to return to the University of Texas. Tight ends coach Tyler Bowen is expected to become offensive coordinator at Virginia Tech, according to college sports and recruiting site On3.com. And more staff changes are expected after the season, even assuming Meyer stays.

Story continues with more damning facts

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
To continue your link goes on...

And the staff meeting follows a pattern of tense interactions between Meyer and his assistants dating back to the offseason. After opening the preseason with consecutive losses, for instance, sources say Meyer informed assistants that he was sick of being embarrassed and if the team didn't start winning immediately, some of them wouldn't be around for a second year.

There has been staff turnover since Meyer arrived in January, for a variety of reasons. Meyer's hand-picked strength and conditioning coach, Chris Doyle, resigned under pressure in February after renewed focus on the allegations of racial remarks that had led to Doyle's separation agreement at the University of Iowa in 2020. Special teams coordinator Brian Schneider took a leave of absence in May for personal reasons and did not return. Meyer's chief of staff, Fernando Lovo, left the team last month to return to the University of Texas. Tight ends coach Tyler Bowen is expected to become offensive coordinator at Virginia Tech, according to college sports and recruiting site On3.com. And more staff changes are expected after the season, even assuming Meyer stays.

Story continues with more damning facts
It’s a tough pill to swallow when your team sucks and has little to no resources to instantly get better. The Texans are going to take years to get better. It is miserable.

Misery loves company though. And I see the Jags thought they were going to leave the room of “Suckatude” but were told not so fast.

They had a break out star last year at RB, a genuine first round QB talent, and a one of the most accomplished college coaches added this year.

And yet they still suck.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
It’s a tough pill to swallow when your team sucks and has little to no resources to instantly get better. The Texans are going to take years to get better. It is miserable.

Misery loves company though. And I see the Jags thought they were going to leave the room of “Suckatude” but were told not so fast.

They had a break out star last year at RB, a genuine first round QB talent, and a one of the most accomplished college coaches added this year.

And yet they still suck.
Right. There are teams that can turn it around quickly, hell, several have gone from 4 wins to the SB in one or 2 seasons. But you also have teams like the Jags and Lions who keep on sucking year after year no matter what they do. I fear the Texans are about to enter the latter.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Right. There are teams that can turn it around quickly, hell, several have gone from 4 wins to the SB in one or 2 seasons. But you also have teams like the Jags and Lions who keep on sucking year after year no matter what they do. I fear the Texans are about to enter the latter.
I don't think we need to fear any longer .... we are there ! Long before halftime, I was excited to see the calm, focus, decision making, and accuracy of Davis. At halftime, much of his poise began to wane. I chalked it up to the fact that he had only started about 25 games since high school. As the bloom continued pale, I chalked it up to no running game. Not until after the game, did it occur to me that Seattle had made halftime adjustments and we hadn't ! I went in to get a drink and the radio was on .... with the game discussion still on the radio. Sat down and listened to them question David Culley about why it seems like we never change anything, when it has become clear that what we were doing isn't successful. He said a lot of words, each time a little differently, but never answered .... finally ending with "I don't know .... we'll just have to watch the film ! We've got more than just a lack of talent .... our inadequacy densifies as we near the top !

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Bad owner article ...of course Cal gets in few lines

lol

I'd say they nailed it with regards to both Kyle and Jack:

Cal McNair inherited the Houston Texans upon his father's death and promptly handed over the keys to the franchise to a
team chaplain with no discernible history in coaching, player evaluation, or contracts and the salary cap.
-----------------------------------------
Some have written that Easterby has followed an “unconventional” path. That’s putting it kindly and doesn’t tell the full story. He has no relevant experience with contract negotiation, salary cap intricacies, talent evaluation or on-field football coaching, and if you do even a little bit of digging into his resumé, you’ll find even the experience he has isn’t what he purports it to be.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I am thinking we are closer to being like a Cincinnati Bengals or San Diego Chargers. More mediocrity with short periods of being terrible than just being straight terrible for long stretches.

Like the Jags. They have sucked for long periods of time.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What would you think if they awarded the first five draft picks to the worst five teams, based on point differential over the last 4 games?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What differential gets what pick?
The highest differential gets the higher pick.

If a team lost the last for games by an avg of 3 points they're -12.

If another team loses by an avg of 10, they're -40.

The first team gets the higher pick.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
The highest differential gets the higher pick.

If a team lost the last for games by an avg of 3 points they're -12.

If another team loses by an avg of 10, they're -40.

The first team gets the higher pick.
Ok, I thought maybe you were going for an approach to curb tanking.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Ok, I thought maybe you were going for an approach to curb tanking.
I think this approach does curb tanking.

If a team wins, it raises their point differential. If a team wins by an average of 1 point, they'll be +4 over the last four games & will get the higher pick.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
The Jags strategically fired Urban Meyer right before the game vs their main rival for draft position. Not sure if this helps or hurts their short term cause.... Urban was pretty solid losing to the Texans in week 1.

pirbroke

Veteran
The Jags strategically fired Urban Meyer right before the game vs their main rival for draft position. Not sure if this helps or hurts their short term cause.... Urban was pretty solid losing to the Texans in week 1.
I think it will only motivate the jag players to win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
The Chargers just lost a hard fought game in OT to the Chiefs.
Their next game will be against the Texans.
”The Chargers wrath will be terrible, their retribution swift” - Gandalf The White
It'd be surprised if the Chargers don't shut out the Texans. They're offense is light years ahead of ours, and their D isn't bad either.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
The Chargers just lost a hard fought game in OT to the Chiefs.
Their next game will be against the Texans.
”The Chargers wrath will be terrible, their retribution swift” - Gandalf The White
Passed up two short field goals which may have kept from needing overtime. but yeah Chargers should lap the Texans otherwise

76Texan

Hall of Fame