Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

What did he say?

Owner Shad Khan made the announcement Wednesday night.

"Within the past hour I informed Tom Coughlin that he was being relieved of his duties as Executive Vice President of Football Operations of the Jacksonville Jaguars, effective this evening," Khan said in statement. "I determined earlier this fall that making this move at the conclusion of the 2019 season would be in everyone's best interests but, in recent days, I reconsidered and decided to make this change immediately.

link

I don't think it was tied to just Bortles

Jacksonville Jaguars fire Tom Coughlin after NFLPA criticism
By Nick Givas | Fox News

The Jacksonville Jaguars fired Tom Coughlin as executive vice president of football operations on Wednesday, after arbiters sided with the NFL Players Association player association (NFLPA) in a dispute over how he was running the team.

The player's association took on Coughlin, 73, over exorbitant fines and disciplinary measures he enacted, dating back to 2018.

One incident involved him trying to fine former defensive end Dante Fowler more than $700,000 for missing a “mandatory” appointment with the team's trainer.

After the fines were negated, the player's union released a statement on Tuesday that was critical of the Jaguar organization.

“This is just one of the many grievances we had to file to protect our players from the Jaguars’ actions,” the union said. “The decision puts a stop to the blatant overreach by the Jaguars and emphasizes the voluntary nature of almost all football activities during the offseason.”

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS LOSE GRIEVANCE OVER FINING FORMER PLAYERS $700g FOR MISSED TEAM DOCTOR VISIT

This incident, coupled with the team's poor record of 5-9, led to Coughlin's dismissal.

Team owner Shad Khan's statement thanked Coughlin for his years of service to the organization but also hinted that his spat with the player's association had something to do with the timing of his termination.
"I determined earlier this fall that making this move at the conclusion of the 2019 season would be in everyone’s best interests but, in recent days, I reconsidered and decided to make this change immediately," the statement read.

"I thank Tom for his efforts, not only over the past three years but for all he did from our very first season, 25 years ago, to put the Jacksonville Jaguars on the map. General Manager Dave Caldwell and Head Coach Doug Marrone will each report directly to me on an interim basis. My expectations, and those of our fans, for our final two games and the 2020 season are high."

Weren't you lauding Jacksonville for hiring him? Didn't you say he was going to turn that franchise around & we should follow their lead?

Is this another instance where you were way dafuh wrong but won't admit?

Exactly, they didn't find their QB and he ended up being to old school to be successful.

He's the one who brought in Ramsey and Fournettw. They turned on him and he's gone. He got let go because they lost a grevviance to the NFLPA.

For what it is worth I heard on 610 Radio that 25% of all grievances filed in the last 2 years have been against the Jaguars.

They said that the NFLPA supposedly urged players to take that in consideration when deciding which team to play for.

Titans playing good football.
AJ Brown is going to be a thorn in the side of AFC south teams for years to come.
Looks like Tannehill has finally "got it".
Looks like Vrabel knows what he is doing over there.

Titans playing good football.
AJ Brown is going to be a thorn in the side of AFC south teams for years to come.
Looks like Tannehill has finally "got it".

Did Brown have a catch today? But yeah, he's a beast

On the subject of pro bowl voting: the public has access to sources about fan voting for PB participants but does anyone know where
there's info for vote totals by coachs and players for the PB participants ?

The talking heads have already written off the Texans in the postseason.
They may well be right, but if that doesn't sting Texans then nothing will.

The talking heads have already written off the Texans in the postseason.
They may well be right, but if that doesn't sting Texans then nothing will.

What more do they need?

Asswhupings ought to be enough to make a man want to punch back. People talking about them asswhupings should only stoke an already hot as5 fire.

Oh my, how sad it is seeing the Cowpies knocked out of the playoffs. :lol:

giphy.gif

Really? Just as their offense begins to turn the corner, the defense spits the bit. Looks like the same ol' Titans, to me.

Just about every year, the AFC South has teams poised to make the big jump over the Texans (and I usually bite). And just about every year, O'Brien and his inconsistent squad lands on top. Say more about the rest of the AFC South than the Texans, honestly. Whatever situation the Texans are in, the Titans, Jags, and Colts are in worse.

So Marshawn Lynch is 33 years old and coming back to run the ball for the Seahawks in the playoffs. It makes you think doesn't it? Arian Foster is also 33 years old and he's been retired since 2016. Not to imply we're desperate at RB like Seattle is. Carlos Hyde and Duke Johnson have been a fine 1-2 punch!

Also why are people saying the Dallas Cowboys are eliminated from the playoffs? Is that true? I can totally see the Giants beating the Eagles. If that happens aren't the Cowboys in the playoffs if they beat the Redskins?

Really? Just as their offense begins to turn the corner, the defense spits the bit. Looks like the same ol' Titans, to me.

Just about every year, the AFC South has teams poised to make the big jump over the Texans (and I usually bite). And just about every year, O'Brien and his inconsistent squad lands on top. Say more about the rest of the AFC South than the Texans, honestly. Whatever situation the Texans are in, the Titans, Jags, and Colts are in worse.

Y'all didn't believe me when I said I'm resorting to voodoo.

tenor.gif

I do this every year. I was hoping I could wait until after WC weekend... but it is what it is.

So Marshawn Lynch is 33 years old and coming back to run the ball for the Seahawks in the playoffs. It makes you think doesn't it? Arian Foster is also 33 years old and he's been retired since 2016. Not to imply we're desperate at RB like Seattle is. Carlos Hyde and Duke Johnson have been a fine 1-2 punch!

Also why are people saying the Dallas Cowboys are eliminated from the playoffs? Is that true? I can totally see the Giants beating the Eagles. If that happens aren't the Cowboys in the playoffs if they beat the Redskins?
Dude, where have you been? Did someone finally pay the ransom?

Free agent wide receiver Antonio Brown is working out for the New Orleans Saints on Friday morning, according to multiple media reports.

The Saints are said to be doing their due diligence on the controversial player who is being investigated by the NFL after being accused of sexual assault by one woman and sexual misconduct by another. He could end up on the Commissioner’s Exempt List if he signs with a team before the investigation is complete.

Brown hasn’t played since Week 2 in what was his only game as a member of the New England Patriots. After nine seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers, making the Pro Bowl seven times, Brown was traded to the Oakland Raiders in March. He was released two days before the start of the Raiders’ season.
&&&
https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-12-27/antonio-brown-saints-workout

Are you actually suggesting that the Texans should reach out to Arian Foster who hasn't played in like 5 years to run the ball all because Lynch who just played last season and clearly could this season if he wanted to has decided to come back?

Free agent wide receiver Antonio Brown is working out for the New Orleans Saints on Friday morning, according to multiple media reports.
Just what the Saints need. A cancer in the locker room right before the playoffs.

Texans should give Antonio Brown a call for the final game and playoffs......b/c Fuller ain't coming back in time to matter. Brown.....Brown would create some interest being paired up with Hopkins, Stills and Coutee.

Set aside all the BS screaming and realize the Texans may not get past round one without a better weapon opposite Hopkins. Brown wouldn't have time to be a cancer...he'd be far too busy learning the offense.

Texans wouldn't entertain this idea but that's what makes the Saints different.

I'll be surprised if the NFL let's him play. If the Saints don't sign him I bet it'll be because the NFL called them up & said, "WTF!!!!!"

Yeah...Saints have submitted a request to see if the NFL would allow him to be eligible this season. A wait and see game at the moment.

Brown's agent Rosenhaus mentioned the meeting and tryout went good. Saints players mentioned, when asked, that their lock room demeanor could handle Brown's personality. That's what they mentioned at the moment, that to could be a wait and see.

Unfortunately the NFL hold all the cards which I find a tad bit BS'eeee. The NFL should have simply notified Brown and all NFL teams that Brown is prohibited from playing the 2019 season or until the investigation is completed. Everybody would know what to do in that situation. They could even prohibit try-outs and meetings with teams until the results of the investigation are made known. I don't like the fact that the NFL could somehow play a roll as to which team Brown could sign with.

For those who were so upset with the Texans not picking Solder up for our LT.........and then saying that he was a great loss to us since he was performing so well for the Giants (something that I've posted that I saw just the opposite):
Giants left tackle Nate Solder is wrapping up the second year of a four-year, $62 million contract. So far, he hasn’t lived up to expectations. And that raises questions about whether the Giants will move on from him this offseason.

For his part, Solder says he wants to stay with the team and will do whatever’s asked of him, which could include changing positions.
link

Here's an update re. ACLs suffered in 2019 through week 16 continues to be a stark contrast to:

2019 = 28

2018 = 52
2017 = 51
2016 = 49
2015 = 50
2014 = 45
2013 = 63

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
Here's an update re. ACLs suffered in 2019 through week 16 continues to be a stark contrast to:

2019 = 28

2018 = 52
2017 = 51
2016 = 49
2015 = 50
2014 = 45
2013 = 63
So we are now well below the average for ACLs in recent years and, I dunno what conclusions if any do you draw from that C&D ?

Mahomes off to a good start. Two offsides caused by his snap count.

Also, hate watching him. The Chiefs do such a good job of changing his launch point. Making it harder for the defense to sack him. Helps him make quicker, simpler reads.

If I were bringing along a young QB who moved a lot during college, that's what I would do.

The team doctor was checking the knee on the Chiefs #22...............looked like a positive drawer test where the tibia is moving abnormally forward from the femur while the knee is bent..............consistent with ACL.

Back