Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Looks like Prior is far from blameless.

Terrelle Pryor facing assault charge, in stable condition after being stabbed in Pittsburgh
A scary situation involving the former NFL player

Former NFL wide receiver Terrelle Pryor has been arrested after an altercation at a Pittsburgh apartment, according to the Allegheny County District Attorney's Office, and is facing charges of simple assault. Pryor is in stable condition after being stabbed in the dispute, per NFL Media, which also left a female victim with injuries, according to the police report.

Shalaya Briston, the woman allegedly involved in the incident, has been arrested as well and is being charged with criminal attempt homicide and aggravated assault.

Police responded to UPMC Mercy Hospital after Prior arrived there in critical condition just after 4:30 a.m. After further investigation by detectives regarding the incident, the two arrests were made of Pryor and Briston. The police report indicates the pair are believed to be mutual combatants in the incident.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Rookie QB Drew Lock will be activated and will start for the Broncos today. He was placed on IR after he sustained a wrist injury in an August preseason game. He will be the 7th Broncos QB since Manning retired.

Omerta

Waterboy
I think the Ravens got too hot too soon. They could be upset in the playoffs.
It's possible. I don't think so though. I don't think it is that we got too hot. I think it is we played well and we just play somewhat complete games. When you look at we do, other than a few oooohhh and aaaaah runs by Jackson we do basic things. We just do them very well. It is not like we are having other worldly performances.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
It's possible. I don't think so though. I don't think it is that we got too hot. I think it is we played well and we just play somewhat complete games. When you look at we do, other than a few oooohhh and aaaaah runs by Jackson we do basic things. We just do them very well. It is not like we are having other worldly performances.
Ravens are playing perhaps the best complimentary football in the NFL

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The Chiefs' RB Daryl Williams left the game with the report of a right hamstring injury. I was paying attention to his left leg.........specifically his left knee which seemed to be twisted with his foot stuck in the turf...........I would be worried about a noncontact left ACL.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Y’all do look unstoppable. It just reminds of teams in the past that looked unstoppable and then just had one bad game and couldn’t put it together because they were due, and it comes at the wrong time. Mental errors, refs making poor calls, the ball not bouncing your way, lucky breaks from an inferior team you are playing, perfect storm type of stuff.

The AFC does go through Baltimore.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Josh Shaw's gambling suspension taps into one of NFL's biggest fears

Frank Schwab
Yahoo SportsNov 29, 2019, 6:01 PM

With the NFL going after money............supporting the Supreme Court decision to reverse the state ban on sports gambling, moving a team to Las Vegas with its Caesar's partnership, Fantasy Football............it's only the beginning of further destroying what little "integrity" of the game is left.
I will bet $50 he will say he was sorry for embarrassing himself, team, nfl and all gamblers everywhere!

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Cam Newton's Lisfranc has not gotten better................as I've posted in the past, was not properly rehabbed from Aug 22 injury............then re-injured............predicted 6-8 week rehab from re-injury (nowhere close yet)............now because of all of this, he may no longer be able to conservatively rehab, and surgery is likely in his future...............his season is probably over either way.
After all this time, Newton is finally going to have surgery. His injury has been mismanaged from the beginning. In the present Rapoport report, the postoperative rehab period is grossly underestimated [highlighted in bolded red below], and the outcome grossly overestimated.

Panthers' Cam Newton (foot) now considering surgery
  • Ian Rapoport
  • NFL Network Insider
  • Published: Nov. 10, 2019 at 06:59 a.m.
  • Updated: Nov. 10, 2019 at 12:38 p.m.

Before Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton was placed on injured reserve, he sought several opinions from various experts. The visit to Dr. Robert Anderson in Green Bay sealed it -- he would put off surgery and try to rehab and heal over a matter of weeks.

This week, however, that situation may have changed.

Almost certainly out for the season, Newton is now considering surgery to repair the Lisfranc injury in his foot, sources say. The procedure, which would come in the next week or two, has a recovery time of eight-to-10 weeks -- three months at the most.

Conceivably, Newton's ligaments in his foot would be healthy and repaired by March, when his future will be decided. The original plan was to wait and rehab, with the hope being that in a matter of weeks he could return. When he was placed on injured reserve, which he understood, the focus shifted to the future.

This season, Newton has been supportive of starter Kyle Allen, which has been clear in social media comments by both players. Theoretically, he could come off IR if the Panthers make the playoffs, but that's a longshot. Most likely, he's done for 2019.

But in the spring, his future will come to light.

Newton wants to continue playing, a source said, despite the various injuries that have severely limited him the last two seasons. While the team won't publicly or privately address what happens next with Newton, it remains highly unlikely that he'll be with the Panthers in 2020.

Here is the latest review of Lisfranc repair with return to play and performance outcome results in NFL players.:

Orthopedics. 2018 Jul 1;41(4):e479-e482. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20180424-03. Epub 2018 Apr 30.
Performance-Based Outcomes Following Lisfranc Injury Among Professional American Football and Rugby Athletes.
Singh SK, George A, Kadakia AR, Hsu WK.

Abstract
Professional National Football League (NFL) and rugby athletes have high rates of Lisfranc injuries. Although favorable return-to-play rates have been previously reported, a thorough assessment of postinjury performance is lacking. Professional NFL and rugby athletes who sustained a Lisfranc injury were identified using a well-established protocol confirmed by multiple sources of the public record. Return-to-play rate and time to return were determined for each athlete. League participation and game performance were collected 1 season prior to injury and up to 3 seasons after injury. Statistical analysis was performed, with P≤.05 being significant. A total of 47 athletes (NFL=35, rugby=12) with Lisfranc injuries were identified, having 23 ligamentous injuries and 24 fractures.

Thirty-five (75%) were treated operatively. Among NFL players, 29 (83%) returned to play, taking 10.0±2.9 months to do so. Overall, NFL players started fewer games 2 and 3 seasons following surgery (P=.002 and .035, respectively) and showed a significant decline in performance 1 season after return compared with preinjury levels (21%; P=.05). Offensive players had a significantly greater decline in statistical performance compared with defensive counterparts (P=.02).

Although professional NFL athletes return to play at a high rate (83%) following Lisfranc injury, their league participation and performance is significantly decreased on return. Ligamentous and bony injuries have similar prognoses; however, offensive players show greater declines in performance compared with defensive players. To best guide therapy, players, coaches, and team physicians should be aware of the impact of Lisfranc injuries on career performance and longevity. [Orthopedics. 2018; 41(4):e479-e482.].

Last edited:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
There will be some QBs in the move next year with some QB spots open:

Chicago and Carolina will be looking for QBs. Possibly Tampa too. It is possible that Phillip Rivers and Andy Dalton will both be on the move.

I could see Chicago bring in Phillips and let Truibsky study behind and work out his kinks.

Dalton in Carolina would be an immediate fix. He could also bring AJ Greene who is also a free agent.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
There will be some QBs in the move next year with some QB spots open:

Chicago and Carolina will be looking for QBs. Possibly Tampa too. It is possible that Phillip Rivers and Andy Dalton will both be on the move.

I could see Chicago bring in Phillips and let Truibsky study behind and work out his kinks.

Dalton in Carolina would be an immediate fix. He could also bring AJ Greene who is also a free agent.
Carolina seems to be happy with the job Kyle Allen has done this yr. Who knows how the next Panthers HC will feel about Allen.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
This could very well be a message to our own QB.

***********************************************************************************
Earl Thomas: Defenses are targeting Lamar Jackson’s legs

As Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson continues to wreak havoc as a running back, the Ravens are concerned about teams trying to wreak havoc on him, personally.

Via Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com, safety Earl Thomas said Tuesday that he believes teams are targeting Jackson’s legs, and that the officials need to afford Jackson greater protection.

(Jackson wasn’t willing to go that far; “They’re trying to make a tackle and I’m trying to make them miss,” he said, via Hensley.)

Quarterbacks have extension protections when behind the line of scrimmage. Once they become runners, all protections unique to quarterbacks evaporate. At that point, a running quarterback literally becomes a running back, with any and all types of hits fair game — except an opponent lowering his helmet to initiate contact, a protection that all applies to all players.

It’s a fine line, a delicate balance. But until the rules are changed to provide greater protections for running backs or quarterbacks who choose to run, they are fair game for legal hits to the legs, or any other body part. And if the quarterback wants to avoid that type of hit, the quarterback needs to stay behind the line of scrimmage, where he enjoys maximum protection.

For defenses, the message is obvious, albeit largely unspoken in the post-Bountygate NFL: If the most important player on the field chooses to abandon the special protections given to the most important player on the field, he does so at his own risk.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson continues to wreak havoc as a running back, the Ravens are concerned about teams trying to wreak havoc on him, personally.
They can only protect them so much which is why I wonder about over the long-term the viability of an NFL offense featuring a running QB ?

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
This could very well be a message to our own QB.

***********************************************************************************
Earl Thomas: Defenses are targeting Lamar Jackson’s legs

As Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson continues to wreak havoc as a running back, the Ravens are concerned about teams trying to wreak havoc on him, personally.

Via Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com, safety Earl Thomas said Tuesday that he believes teams are targeting Jackson’s legs, and that the officials need to afford Jackson greater protection.

(Jackson wasn’t willing to go that far; “They’re trying to make a tackle and I’m trying to make them miss,” he said, via Hensley.)

Quarterbacks have extension protections when behind the line of scrimmage. Once they become runners, all protections unique to quarterbacks evaporate. At that point, a running quarterback literally becomes a running back, with any and all types of hits fair game — except an opponent lowering his helmet to initiate contact, a protection that all applies to all players.

It’s a fine line, a delicate balance. But until the rules are changed to provide greater protections for running backs or quarterbacks who choose to run, they are fair game for legal hits to the legs, or any other body part. And if the quarterback wants to avoid that type of hit, the quarterback needs to stay behind the line of scrimmage, where he enjoys maximum protection.

For defenses, the message is obvious, albeit largely unspoken in the post-Bountygate NFL: If the most important player on the field chooses to abandon the special protections given to the most important player on the field, he does so at his own risk.
With LJ being so dangerous, it is conceivable that some team may seek to take him out.
I would like to see something put in place whereby if it is found that a "dirty" tackle was used in successfully removing a player in any position, then the penalty and fine would be so severe, that no other team would ever attempt it again.
A loss of all draft picks in the next 2 drafts might do it.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Lamar Jackson keeps saying that his leg (thigh) is 100%. Yet Monday and Tuesday, he was limited in practices.............in walk-throughs. He was seen limping during and after his practices.................walk-through practices. Now he plays again tomorrow..............these Thursday games are killers when it comes to injuries and re-injuries........especially after the inadequate time for "recovery." I have a strong feeling that Thursday night football is going to be a significant focus in the upcoming CBA..........possibly through by subtracting a preseason game, adding a regular season game, adding an extra Bye week..........scheduled just before a Thursday night game.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The Jags are on a 5 game losing streak. All 5 losses in their current streak have come by at least 17 points, which hasn’t happened to any NFL team since 1986.

Max

Veteran

I am a fairly PC type and think this is too much...more to the story
Agreed that there is probably more to the story. But they're the one's who took the posture that using the r word in a tweet and not being apologetic was the motivation for cutting him.

Obviously, what happened this week, and the refusal to acknowledge the inappropriate and offensive language, was the determining factor.
I don't think Giants fans are going to embrace the rationale behind the move as well as The View panel would though. Another example of cancel culture overstepping it's bounds IMO.

badboy

Hall of Fame

I am a fairly PC type and think this is too much...more to the story
Unless there is more to the story, If he gets to us on the waiver list I would definitely kick the tires. He is in the fourth year of NFL career, so he has to go through the waivers unlike Terrell Suggs Who should be an automatic unrestricted free agent. I would like to see both of them in for a tryout

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Unless there is more to the story, If he gets to us on the waiver list I would definitely kick the tires. He is in the fourth year of NFL career, so he has to go through the waivers unlike Terrell Suggs Who should be an automatic unrestricted free agent. I would like to see both of them in for a tryout
The 31-year-old had started 13 games for the Giants this season and led the team with four interceptions and 14 pass break-ups. A second-round pick of the St. Louis Rams in 2012, he signed a five-year, $62.5 million free-agent contract with New York in 2016.