Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Moulds Trade Official

hollywood_texan said:
Yeah, and we pushed on the Buchanon trade last year because Washington was interested, at least that is what we thought.

We were wrong about that and we overpriced ourselves.

Let's understand, they were going to cut the guy. The Panthers got Keyshawn for the same money without giving up a draft pick.

The deal seems okay for a 5th round pick, but not the first pick in the 4th round.

Moulds >>> Me-shawn.

Keyshawn is slow. Maurice Clarrett slow. We have our guy to catch the tough ball in the middle already ( Kevin Walter ).

Moulds gives the Texans their first ever legit #2 (#1A if you please).

Also, keep in mind, the Texans were reported to be seeking a #2 receiver with the 1st pick of the 2nd round. Would you rather have a top notch OL or CB + Moulds or a 2nd round WR + a 5th rounder?

If they had waited until Moulds was cut, they may have been forced to take a receiver with one of their early picks. Not any more.

Iroquois Joe said:
If Moulds was cut, at his age he might of gone to the Eagles or another contender for less money to get a shot at the Championship.

Other than the QB, the Eagles may have a talented tight end........ maybe..... if it weren't for their QB, no one, and I mean no one, would think they even had a chance at a championship.

yes, I said it....... everyone else on offense is chopped liver........ we have more talent than they do, and have for quite some time now.

Look at it this way. You have the following picks:

6th rounder
7th rounder (compensatory)

So you have seven picks in the draft. You could've had nine, but you turned two of your picks, which were within the last three rounds, into legit #2 and #3 receivers, guys who can play in the NFL and produce...now. Sure, all things being equal, it would've been nice not to give up the 5th rounder to land Moulds. But that was a necessity given the situation.

el toro said:
Geez, the team just turned their 5th and 7th rounders into legitimate #2 and #3 receivers.

el toro, that is an excellent perspective of these transactions. I mean excellent.
we completely revamped our reciever corps and only gave a 5th and 7th to do it...

It's like a tornado swept us all to OZ... I'd like to get a look behind the curtain... there's a mad genius back there pulling all the right levers...

BTW... you can tell that I'm excited when I start making silly statements like the above...

Updated depth chart from kffl :)

First Team Primary Backup Backups
QB David Carr Dave Ragone Sage Rosenfels
RB Domanick Davis Vernand Morency
FB Jameel Cook Moran Norris
LWR Eric Moulds /
Andre Johnson Donovan Morgan Kendrick Starling
RWR Kevin Walter Derick Armstrong Jerome Mathis
TE Mark Bruener Jeb Putzier Bennie Joppru
ORT Todd Wade
ORG Zach Wiegert Fred Weary
C Mike Flanagan / Steve McKinney Drew Hodgdon
OLG Steve McKinney Todd Washington
OLT Chester Pitts Seth Wand

LDE Anthony Weaver Jason Davis
LDT Travis Johnson Seth Payne Jerry Deloach
RDT Robaire Smith Junior Ioane Alfred Malone
RDE Antwan Peek Jason Babin Elliott Harris
SSL Kailee Wong Shantee Orr Charlie Anderson | Troy Evans
ML Wali Rainer /
Sam Cowart DaShon Polk Frank Chamberlin | Zeke Moreno
WSL Morlon Greenwood Kenneth Pettway Quinn Dorsey | Andre Torrey

LCB Dunta Robinson Lewis Sanders Chris McKenzie
RCB Phillip Buchanon Demarcus Faggins Mark Estelle
SS Glenn Earl Ramon Walker Jammal Lord | Kevin Curtis
FS C.C. Brown Jason Simmons Anthony Floyd /
Anthony Floyd

PK Kris Brown Hayden Epstein
P Chad Stanley

This thread has now gone over 1900 posts. Don't know what the longest was or if this is it, but I do know that the most users ever on this site was about 3 hrs. ago and that was 925. There are 805 on right now. :wow:

Moulds has certainly gotten our attention.

Iroquois Joe said:
If Moulds was cut, at his age he might of gone to the Eagles or another contender for less money to get a shot at the Championship.

Other than the QB, the Eagles may have a talented tight end........ maybe..... if it weren't for their QB, no one, and I mean no one, would think they even had a chance at a championship.

yes, I said it....... everyone else on offense is chopped liver........ we have more talent than they do, and have for quite some time now.

hollywood_texan said:
If Moulds wanted more money or wanted to play somewhere else, he wouldn't have signed a reduced contract.

The Bills would have cut him and he would have been a free agent.

So that tells me he wants to be in Houston because he preferred that than testing the free agent market.

I am not looking for a dark lining.

It's like playing poker or buying a car/house.

We paid a little extra. I don't see a problem with that here with a 5th round pick. He will probably make up for it.

But, you have to understand when you do overpay. Generally, in these situations, the guy gets cut.

You paid for a reason. You paid because otherwise you couldn't land the player. Is it an excessive price to pay for a #2 receiver in general? I don't think so.

The Texans did what they had to do. They entered the trade picture because that limited the competition for him. Is it 'overpaying' when you pay the price necessary to get a player you wouldn't otherwise be able to get?

I think we are all the same page. I like the deal even though we overpaid a bit.

It was something that had to be done.

Besides, some people are selling the orangization short that Moulds wants to play for a winner.

The Texans have a first rate facility, huge market, loyal fan base, #1 pick quarterback, #1 pick running back, and #4 pick wide receiver.

He agreed to this new deal and he could have forced Buffalo to cut him to go into free agent mode.

I think he wants to play in Houston!

Good. He will probably be worth the premium.

el toro said:
If Moulds hit the open market then he'd be less likely to be a Texan and he'd end up costing a little bit more, IMO.

Geez, the team just turned their 5th and 7th rounders into legitimate #2 and #3 receivers. Why are we looking for the dark lining on the silver cloud?

I agree.

I have not read all 40K posts but weren't we all excited about Moulds for a 5th?

I think it is a great deal. We finaly, for the first time in our history, have a #2 and #3. Actualy we now have 2 #1's. Not to many teams can say that. I'll ask the question this way. What chance did we have to pick a reciever in the 5th round that would catch 80 passes for about 1000 yards? ENOUGH SAID.

In-addition this will help our line aswell. They can't double AJ or send the kitchen sink. We have made some great moves this offseason. WOW!!!

For those that are so upset I believe that you would complain about winning the Lottery.

Anyone who does not like us getting Moulds needs to go back and watch Carr getting sacked because he had no one open. When Andre is the only real option you may end up on your back a lot. He gives us a true #2 WR, and will help develope our younger kids.

Now if we take bush which seems to be the overall opinion of most experts we could have a lot of talent. I just hope we fix the line too. Then we just have to fix the defense :)

:stirpot:

The 'overpaid' thing doesn't fly with this deal. We signed a former pro-bowler for a contract with only 5 mil guaranteed, averaging 3.6 mil a year for four years. And the low low cost of a 5th round draft pick.

Look over our previous 5th rounders. Also look at some of the high dollar guys we've brought in that haven't panned out.

This deal has all the makings of a steal. Moulds will make both Andre and Carr better, and he should have at least a few years of productivity left. He also fills another need that will allow the texans' to take BPA throughout the entire draft.

hollywood_texan said:
I think we are all the same page. I like the deal even though we overpaid a bit.

It was something that had to be done.

Besides, some people are selling the orangization short that Moulds wants to play for a winner.

The Texans have a first rate facility, huge market, loyal fan base, #1 pick quarterback, #1 pick running back, and #4 pick wide receiver.

He agreed to this new deal and he could have forced Buffalo to cut him to go into free agent mode.

I think he wants to play in Houston!

Good. He will probably be worth the premium.

AJ was taken #3 ovrl behind the Great Charles Rodgers, I bet Detroit would like to have that pick back.

Speaking of the Lions they are trying to move Joey H. for a 6 rounder....Ouch.

Oh yeah....where do you think we overpaid, you keep saying we overpaid, but thats all.

Do you think we overpaid on the contract or the 5th round pick.

JAXwithanX said:
Please....someone go check on what th Eagles boards are talking about right now.

.....and Buffalo

The Eagles are probably saying they hate Houston and it's too hot and there's so much humidity and the mosquitos and McNabb is better than Carr and then someone says, "But what about the babes?" and he gets suspended from the board temporarilly and it goes on and on...

It's bound to be something like that. :rolleyes:

Yes, we overpaid, but I am not too worried about.

Buffalo was going to cut him. We paid the premium due to the 5th round pick. My point is we paid premium, that is it. I think it will pay for it's self.

Buffalo got a great deal though, they basically turned a situation that the were going to get nothing into something. If this was in our division, we probably wouldn't have done it. Maybe this explains my point a little further?

As for Joey Harrington, I believe teams are going to wait till he gets cut.

Look, most of these guys get cut. Probably some of the time is due to the guy wants to test the free agent market.

Moulds didn't do that here, he wants to play in Houston.

It is possible we could have gotten him after he was cut.

Also, we could have shown we mean a little more business in negotiations.

However, we can do that with another deal.

Still a good deal but really helped out Buffalo, they got a freebe.

It was reported that the Bills wanted a fourth round pick originally but when there was little intrest in trading for him the Texans were able to haggle with the Bills to get them to come down to a 5th.

hollywood_texan said:

Buffalo was going to cut him. We paid the premium due to the 5th round pick. My point is we paid premium, that is it. I think it will pay for it's self.

Buffalo got a great deal though, they basically turned a situation that the were going to get nothing into something. If this was in our division, we probably wouldn't have done it. Maybe this explains my point a little further?

Look, most of these guys get cut. Probably some of the time is due to the guy wants to test the free agent market.

How would you feel if the whole thing went bust, Moulds became a FA, and he went straight to the Eagles? "I wanna play wit McNabb. I wanna play wit McNabb." I think they did the right thing.

JAXwithanX said:
Please....someone go check on what th Eagles boards are talking about right now.

.....and Buffalo
Some posters are going on about Mularkey (ex head coach) and ex GM Tom Donahoe, who for the most part gutted a top 5 Defense by sending away Williams and Peeing off Sam Adams and Moulds among other unforgiveable sins, such as neglecting the O line until it was a sieve.

I would'nt wish thoes two fools on say...the Dolphins, Oh wait... they did hire one. Mularkey as OC. He'll call trick passing plays three times in a row at 1st and goal for them.

Other than that, it's the same as here, comming to terms with a deal that went down for better or worse that no one has any control over anyway.

I'm going to paddle my canoe up the ice floes in the river and look for settlements to burn now. :stirpot: and chidren to cook.

I'll be back to keep tabs on my boy Moulds from time to time.

hollywood_texan said:

that doesn't really make sense. id like to point out the word 'possible'. sure it was possible we could have got him after he was cut....but its much more beneficial going into the draft knowing we have him....not including the fact is highly 'probable' that someone after the draft would have really overspent on him after coming to terms they don't have a #1 or #2 reciever....and weren't able to pick up a guy in the draft. we made out like bandits....period. and buffalo....they did not....a 5th is crap....unless they really need a punter....or some special teams players....the 5th is pretty much pot luck.

John Clayton reported that the Bills really wanted to make the deal because if they released him they thought he would go to New England. So I say it was important for both teams to get the trade done. Because he wasn't coming here if he were released.

Bronco Texan said:
John Clayton reported that the Bills really wanted to make the deal because if they released him they thought he would go to New England. So I say it was important for both teams to get the trade done. Because he wasn't coming here if he were released.

Figures. Those Patriot people are sneaky smart.

JAXwithanX said:
that doesn't really make sense. id like to point out the word 'possible'. sure it was possible we could have got him after he was cut....but its much more beneficial going into the draft knowing we have him....not including the fact is highly 'probable' that someone after the draft would have really overspent on him after coming to terms they don't have a #1 or #2 reciever....and weren't able to pick up a guy in the draft. we made out like bandits....period. and buffalo....they did not....a 5th is crap....unless they really need a punter....or some special teams players....the 5th is pretty much pot luck.

I think that is our problem. The 5th round and after are crucial. The most successful teams find contributing players in the later rounds.

Walters from Cincinnati was a 7th round pick and we signed him just recently. If Cincinnati didn't have the glut of WRs, they would have kept him. But, they get an extra 7th round pick due to the compensatory rules and have twice the pot luck you just described this year in the 7th round.

A team that continues to do that year in and year out, is going to accumulate a lot of extra picks if they just tender their players and they get signed somewhere else.

Hopefully people see my point on how valuable this pick is, even though it is the 5th round pick.

The poor to medicore teams have pot luck in the 5th and after.

Fantastic news! :redtowel:

I don't get this "overpaid" statement I keep hearing. A 5th rounder for a proven talent like Moulds, with a good contract to boot is somehow overpaying? If he hits the open market, many more teams would enter the bidding, and you have much less chance of landing him. Not only that, they would probably release him around July, post-draft. So, you end up being forced to take a WR high in the draft, as you cannot count on landing Moulds. Overpaying? Totally prepostourous. What, are we worried we might be passing on the next Vontez Duff?

This was a FANTASTIC deal for the Texans, and the Bills at least saved face by getting the 5th, and it worked out for all involved.

Welcome to Houston Eric. I am feeling warm and mouldy all over. :yahoo:

hollywood_texan said:
I think that is our problem. The 5th round and after are crucial. The most successful teams find contributing players in the later rounds.

Walters from Cincinnati was a 7th round pick and we signed him just recently. If Cincinnati didn't have the glut of WRs, they would have kept him. But, they get an extra 7th round pick due to the compensatory rules and have twice the pot luck you just described this year in the 7th round.

A team that continues to do that year in and year out, is going to accumulate a lot of extra picks if they just tender their players and they get signed somewhere else.

Hopefully people see my point on how valuable this pick is, even though it is the 5th round pick.

The poor to medicore teams have pot luck in the 5th and after.

what better can we get for that 5th round pick
ur an idiot man come on, POT LUCK? a 5th round pick may be of some value, but not nearly worth what having Moulds for 3-4 years does.

Porky said:
Fantastic news! :redtowel:

I don't get this "overpaid" statement I keep hearing. A 5th rounder for a proven talent like Moulds, with a good contract to boot is somehow overpaying? If he hits the open market, many more teams would enter the bidding, and you have much less chance of landing him. Not only that, they would probably release him around July, post-draft. So, you end up being forced to take a WR high in the draft, as you cannot count on landing Moulds. Overpaying? Totally prepostourous. What, are we worried we might be passing on the next Vontez Duff?

This was a FANTASTIC deal for the Texans, and the Bills at least saved face by getting the 5th, and it worked out for all involved.

Welcome to Houston Eric. I am feeling warm and mouldy all over. :yahoo:

I think you are missing my point.

We overpaid because of either previously poor drafting or coaching. We let two of our receivers go in free agency with zero compensation.

Buffalo on the other hand gets a freebe. Now that makes it we have given up our 5th and 7th round picks for because of WR vacancy left from free agency.

We need to be on the other side of the deal.

Cincinnati can draft well in the 7th round and now they have an extra pick this year in the 7th.

Do you see my point?

I like the deal but we paid a premium. Let's understand why and not do it again!

If we start making a habit of this, it's going to point to a bigger problem and it isn't going to matter who is on the roster.

Mightymike said:
what better can we get for that 5th round pick
ur an idiot man come on, POT LUCK? a 5th round pick may be of some value, but not nearly worth what having Moulds for 3-4 years does.

Again, missing my point, the successful teams don't look at the later rounds as pot luck.

They turn those guys into compensatory picks.

Think of Walters and Cincinnati.

We need to start working that side of the equation.

brilliant. I ask you people this..on day 2 of the draft, be on this message board, and tell me what reciever you want to draft when our (buffalo's) pick is up. If you have one better than eric moulds, we can talk. If not...be happy!

hollywood_texan said:
Again, missing my point, the successful teams don't look at the later rounds as pot luck.

They turn those guys into compensatory picks.

Think of Walters and Cincinnati.

We need to start working that side of the equation.

so you are telling me that successfull teams look to draft late rounders just so they can get compensation, but the bad teams look at them as good additions to their team. WOW

aj. said:
The notion of overpay in this case is ridicuous. Great job Texans.

If that is the case, why wasn't anyone else interested? If it was such a steal, why wasn't any team trying to outbid us?

The Eagles appear to have been interested in Moulds as much as the Redskins were interested in Buchanon last year.

I still think it is a good deal but we paid a premium. We established the market price, not the market.

We were in jam because we didn't produce WRs in the first 4 years and we lost them in free agency and we have to make up for it right now before the draft. We saw opportunity and paid a little extra.

Let's get things set so it doesn't happen again!

Does that make sense?

That is my underlying point.

Moulds agrees to contract with Houston

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12102608/

BUFFALO, N.Y. - Eric Moulds agreed to a contract with Houston on Tuesday and said the Texans have worked out a trade to acquire him from the Buffalo Bills.

“Yeah, it’s done,” said Greg Johnson, Moulds’ personal adviser. “I’m ecstatic. I’m relieved, happy and thankful that all parties came to an agreement.”

Moulds said he met with Texans receiver Andre Johnson, and he believes he can both complement and tutor the emerging star. He’s also excited about the possibility of Houston bolstering its offense by selecting USC running back and Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick in this month’s draft.

“I would tell them to get their tickets ready. You are going to see a show,” Moulds said, when asked what message he had for Texans fans. “It’s not going to be the same Texans you’ve seen before. It’s going to be an exciting time.”

Mightymike said:
so you are telling me that successfull teams look to draft late rounders just so they can get compensation, but the bad teams look at them as good additions to their team. WOW

No, not necessarily, but it just gives them options. It is worth to keep the player within their current talent pool or take compensation in more draft picks.

hollywood_texan said:
If that is the case, why wasn't anyone else interested? If it was such a steal, why wasn't any team trying to outbid us?

The Eagles appear to have been interested in Moulds as much as the Redskins were interested in Buchanon last year.

I still think it is a good deal but we paid a premium. We established the market price, not the market.

We were in jam because we didn't produce WRs in the first 4 years and we lost them in free agency and we have to make up for it right now before the draft. We saw opportunity and paid a little extra.

Does that make sense?

That is my underlying point.

Compare what we just gave Moulds to what the Seahawks and Titans gave Burleson and Givens, then get back to me at the end of the '07 season and we'll talk.

hollywood_texan said:

Does that make sense?

That is my underlying point

how much should we have payed him then?

we didn't make a mistake, why do you keep acting like we did something wrong here? we had to get him before they cut him or else he would have gone to Eagles or Patriots(teams he preferred being on over Houston cuz of ring possibilities and QB talent). 4 yr 15 mil isn't a lot for a Pro Bowl WR, even under the circumstances of his situation with the bills

hollywood_texan said:
No, not necessarily, but it just gives them options. It is worth to keep the player within their current talent pool or take compensation in more draft picks.

thats not the mindset of any team when they draft. they draft players to improve their team, not to gain picks for the players in the long run

We just got a great player to fix a huge problem we've had for awhile. We've got the cap room, would you rather have air filling it or Eric Moulds?

MightyTExan said:
“I would tell them to get their tickets ready. You are going to see a show,” Moulds said, when asked what message he had for Texans fans. “It’s not going to be the same Texans you’ve seen before. It’s going to be an exciting time.”

I'm ready for the show :yahoo:
:tv::popcorn::party:

hollywood_texan said:

you don't really 'get' football and especially off season free-agency and acquisitions do you? the stuff you are saying is just like....well its backwards. the way of thinking about this is....would we have got an eric moulds next year in the draft in the 5th round....the answer....plain and simple is no. no chance. and kevin walters drafted in the 7th is no damn moulds.

Statistically, picks from the fifth round onwards are no more likely to pan out than undrafted rookie free agents. A fifth round pick is very nearly worthless.

Mr Shush said:
Statistically, picks from the fifth round onwards are no more likely to pan out than undrafted rookie free agents. A fifth round pick is very nearly worthless.

Drew Hodgen and C.C. Brown were 5th and 6th round picks and they started for us. That either shows how good we are at picking or how horrible our oline and safeties were...

Back