Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Moulds Trade Official

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
texanfan2002114 said:
All I'm trying to say if the NFL has it on their site it would be safe to say the deal is done.
This is a very stangely worded statement. Something appears to be fishy. On one hand they are saying yes, but no one will confirm other than the agent. If you also read it it looks like the cat is out of the bag on Bush. This whole transaction has been pretty strange....

TexanBacker93 said:
I don't think teams draft someone in the 5th, 6th, or 7th rounds with the thoughts that in a few years we can get a 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick out of the guy when he signs with another team. I think the successful teams find talent in those rounds that they keep and help them win. Broncos with Davis, Patriots with Brady.
Yeah, it really doesn't matter. Either they stay with the team or they get a compensatory pick. Both ways are advantageous for the team and they get to make a choice.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
hollywood_texan said:
My point is, I want to be one of those teams that has the luxury to wait for when a good deal presents itself.

Umm....The only way to become "ONE OF THOSE TEAMS", is to make deals just like the one we made, because if you don't, you will constantly be mediocre and you will lose quality players to "ONE OF THOSE TEAMS" year in and year out.

The eagles and the Pats have the luxury of holding out for players, because they know quality players will hold out for them. If your the worst team in the league and you have the opportunity to acquire a extremely acomplished player for just a 5th pick, you jump on it and don't look back.

Also you keep saying we overpaid market price, my question is what exactly do you think is the "market price" on Eric Moulds.

Señor Stan said:
You basically have to lose more quality free agents than you sign. NOT a good way to acquire picks IMO.
Well, Pittsburgh rarely signs FA and they usually let theirs go. They get extra picks and make very good use of them. Cowher has had 11 winning seasons out of 14 with Pittsburgh. He's been in the playoffs 10 times and won a Super Bowl. If you do a great job scouting and drafting you don't need to bring in high priced free agents.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
TexanBacker93 said:
Well, Pittsburgh rarely signs FA and they usually let theirs go. They get extra picks and make very good use of them. Cowher has had 11 winning seasons out of 14 with Pittsburgh. He's been in the playoffs 10 times and won a Super Bowl. If you do a great job scouting and drafting you don't need to bring in high priced free agents.
Cowher is able to do that, because basically his system has been in place for well over THIRTY YEARS. Steeler football hasn't changed in over 3 decades. If the Steelers were to hire a new coach with a new system to implement (like us) there would be a complete overhaul of the roster (like us).

Once we get Kubiak's system established and he has the players to run his system, we'll be able to draft to fill holes. Right now we're setting the foundation.

Go look at all the moves Parcells made when he took over Dallas

Go look at all the moves Gibbs made when he took over the redskins

4-3 defense - DE Weaver

OL transition- Oline Coach Sherman - Center Flanagan who has coached by sherman for nearly a decade.

Kubiak offense- pass catching TE- Putzier who played under Kubiak for multiple seasons and knows the system
WR- Moulds who is a veteran and will become what R. Smith was to Denver here in houston
FB- Cook- will become the pass catching FB that Kubiak had in Denver

This is strictly a transition period

Koolbrz

Waterboy
Hoth-Boy said:
Whoa, whoa whao!

Are you saying that CH 13 is saying that it's a 6th and not even a 5th?

Sure am Bob Allen said it is more than likely buffalo will be getting a 6th not a 5th. Great news!!!

2 CENTS

Practice Squad
I saw on the Crawler at the half of the Womens NCAA Basketball Championship that Moulds has been TRADED to the TEXANS (for an undisclosed DRAFT CHOICE)!!! I hope it's the 5th but even if it is a 4th he's worth it. We need a Respected WR opposite AJ to help free him up. Bush in the SLOT or Spread out wide and PUTZier "running a MUCK" in the middle of the field and any Defense is in a "whole heap (not Todd) of Trouble. Of course this all Depends on the O-LINE pulling up their Jock Straps and keeping Carr of his Butt.

Carr Bomb said:
Umm....The only way to become "ONE OF THOSE TEAMS", is to make deals just like the one we made, because if you don't, you will constantly be mediocre and you will lose quality players to "ONE OF THOSE TEAMS" year in and year out.

The eagles and the Pats have the luxury of holding out for players, because they know quality players will hold out for them. If your the worst team in the league and you have the opportunity to acquire a extremely acomplished player for just a 5th pick, you jump on it and don't look back.

Also you keep saying we overpaid market price, my question is what exactly do you think is the "market price" on Eric Moulds.
There are two sides of the deal, the acquisition and the contract. With the contract, it looks like market $5 million bonus and I think $15 million total. I think that is comparable to Keyshawn's deal and Mould's is better.

My point is the draft pick. I think the 6th round would be my preference with our current situation, but there is still great opportunity for return on investment using our 5th round pick. Buffalo is going to have to cut this guy and everyone knows it.

But, if no one else is willing to put a draft pick, I would rather not do that. Also, I think Houston shouldn't be selling itself short. There is new coaching, great owner, no state income, more than reasonable housing prices, great fans, and awesome facilities.

I would like to take the approach some day, and if that doesn't sell itself we just move on and let them walk.

We are not there yet but that is where I would like to be.

I just thing there is a price to this whole thing and we need to understand and not do it again.

Carr Bomb said:
Cowher is able to do that, because basically his system has been in place for well over THIRTY YEARS. Steeler football hasn't changed in over 3 decades. If the Steelers were to hire a new coach with a new system to implement (like us) there would be a complete overhaul of the roster (like us).

Once we get Kubiak's system established and he has the players to run his system, we'll be able to draft to fill holes. Right now we're setting the foundation.
I agree. I just think that right now the Texans are in a position where they are going to have to pay a little more to get a guy or even trade for someone. They don't have the same quality of players that leave, but it will change and the Texans will become a model of consistency. The good kind I mean.

Koolbrz

Waterboy
texan279 said:
Sirius radio reported earlier we traded our 5th round pick for Moulds...
Well, i just heard it was a 6th. Who knows!!! Who cares!!! Moulds is a Texan!!!
All good with me...:yahoo:

Koolbrz

Waterboy
SAMURAITEXAN said:
Thanks for info Koolbrz!!:redtowel:

Moulds for a 5th or 6th?:confused:

LOL...Bob Allen is pretty good with his facts IMO. If he says it was a 6th..it was a 6th. Not bad, huh? Everyone just keeps saying it was a 5th. Can't argue with them all about it. Just go with the flow.

Koolbrz

Waterboy
Carr Bomb said:
I've been out of Houston for about 2 years, but if thats the CBS guy I'll take his opinion over Bob.
Let me see...Bob has been around for a very long time. I would take his word over any of the other guys. He is pretty accurate.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Funny story about Bob Allen though about 10 years ago he was walking around the Strawberry festival (Local Cook off site) and he stopped at our tent and got drunk with us. I can't go into details, because what happens at the cook off stays at the cook off, but man that guy was a babe magnet back then. He's a cool guy to hang out with.

mexican_texan

Furry Tractors
Ralph Wilson is so old that we probably would have been able to trade an 8th-round pick for Moulds. But he didn't have enough time to read the proposition.

TEXANS84

Staff member
Moulds said he met with Texans receiver Andre Johnson, and he believes he can both complement and tutor the emerging star. He's also excited about the possibility of Houston bolstering its offense by selecting USC running back and Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick in this month's draft.

"I would tell them to get their tickets ready. You are going to see a show," Moulds said, when asked what message he had for Texans fans. "It's not going to be the same Texans you've seen before. It's going to be an exciting time."
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5450010

Koolbrz

Waterboy
keyfro said:
everyone is saying it was for a 5th round pick...6th round pick would be a little silly
A 6th rd pick is still better than nothing. Maybe CC showed some testicular fortitude and pulled out the deal for a 6th. I could be wrong but you never know.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Koolbrz said:
Let me see...Bob has been around for a very long time. I would take his word over any of the other guys. He is pretty accurate.
Whoa, I might have gotten the wrong dude, whos the guy with the grey hair, I can't remember all their names, so just start namming them off. Come to think off it I think the guy I'm talking about has the last name of Nelson or something

Koolbrz

Waterboy
Carr Bomb said:
Whoa, I might have gotten the wrong dude, whos the guy with the grey hair, I can't remember all their names, so just start namming them off. Come to think off it I think the guy I'm talking about has the last name of Nelso or something
Bob A. has salt/pepper hair. We might be talkin about the same guy. Nelson
i don't trust. Thats the channel 11 dude.

hot pickle

Canada Eh
is reggie pretty much a lock for are pick?

cause i got this friend in cali and he said the texans arent gonna draft him, and i think he's an idiot for thinkin that

O.G.

Waterboy
dunta23 said:
is reggie pretty much a lock for are pick?

cause i got this friend in cali and he said the texans arent gonna draft him, and i think he's an idiot for thinkin that
I second your statement, lol

Koolbrz

Waterboy
Hulk75 said:
Not being mean but he probably is.JK
Me, I would say lock, there really is no trade I would even consider. Unless it was just stupid good, but nothing average.
My gut tells me that Kubiak likes him a whole lot. But that is just my opinion:cool:

He is a lock to be picked #1. He has been looking for a home here in Houston and that pretty much says it all. Check out Texans84 (link). It says it all.

hot pickle

Canada Eh
yah i saw the video
just wanted to see what yall said, cause alot of yall know more then i do, so thanks, im gonna make a bet with him,lol

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
hollywood_texan said:
It is just we paid a little above market, which is totally cool.
Part of the problem is you have an arbitrary fictional definition of market. The purchase price for anything is almost always (always where economics rather than outside influences dictate) the highest offer. That is not the same thing as saying every buyer pays above market. Your argument just doesn't fly as a definition of market value to say well someone was willing to pay less so that must have been market and the Texans paid over market.

On your main point (I think) about mature/good teams getting picks for their players IMO you are correct. Cinncy got a pick for Walter because their depth was great and they showed him enough to impress people at least to a 7th--guaranteed he would be a Bengel right now if he had received a mid level tender. Ragone & Peek this year and Gaffney last year might have received some compensation if the Texans had done a better job coaching/showcasing them. Gaff's numbers weren't astronomically different than Givens and yet Givens is trying to figure out how to carry all his new bling and Gaff is on a one year contract with no signing bonus. Maybe if the Texans had worked on his routes more, run plays designed with him as the 1st read more, etc. teams would have had more interest. Maybe if Ragone had come in when games were out of control someone would be offering up a 3rd for him, etc. We let a 31 year old DB walk with no compensation because he asked to be released 2 days earlier vs. shopping Moulds for something. Not shocking the Texans haven't done the best job on their own behalf previously--doesn't mean they overpaid on Moulds.

done88

Waterboy
Texans Secure Deal with Eric Moulds

The Houston Texans were successful in making a deal that is satisfactory to both Eric Moulds and his former team, the Buffalo Bills. It was speculated last week that the Texans were very close to making a deal with Moulds, but still had work to do with the Bills. In return for Moulds, the Texans are giving Buffalo the first pick in the fifth round in the upcoming draft (134th pick overall).

Moulds (6-2, 210) was given a 4 year contract worth $14 million dollars, plus a $5 million dollar signing bonus.

During his 10 years with the Buffalo Bills, Moulds has marked over 9,000 yards and 48 touchdowns. He will be a veteran the Texans will look at to help teach and mold the teams young receivers.

http://texans.scout.com/2/516831.html

infantrycak said:
Part of the problem is you have an arbitrary fictional definition of market. The purchase price for anything is almost always (always where economics rather than outside influences dictate) the highest offer. That is not the same thing as saying every buyer pays above market. Your argument just doesn't fly as a definition of market value to say well someone was willing to pay less so that must have been market and the Texans paid over market.

On your main point (I think) about mature/good teams getting picks for their players IMO you are correct. Cinncy got a pick for Walter because their depth was great and they showed him enough to impress people at least to a 7th--guaranteed he would be a Bengel right now if he had received a mid level tender. Ragone & Peek this year and Gaffney last year might have received some compensation if the Texans had done a better job coaching/showcasing them. Gaff's numbers weren't astronomically different than Givens and yet Givens is trying to figure out how to carry all his new bling and Gaff is on a one year contract with no signing bonus. Maybe if the Texans had worked on his routes more, run plays designed with him as the 1st read more, etc. teams would have had more interest. Maybe if Ragone had come in when games were out of control someone would be offering up a 3rd for him, etc. We let a 31 year old DB walk with no compensation because he asked to be released 2 days earlier vs. shopping Moulds for something. Not shocking the Texans haven't done the best job on their own behalf previously--doesn't mean they overpaid on Moulds.
My point is Buffalo is getting a free pick because is seems clear no one else is willing to part with a draft pick for Moulds. We have the first pick in the 5th round, which is something like a late 4th, at least that is how you can sell it, or not sell as it were.

If no one is offering a draft pick, why not push for our sixth instead? I think that is our last pick available and gets the deal done and they get a freebe.

Of course you have to overpay at some point if you are going to get a deal done like this, you have to be a higher bidder at some point. But how much you are the high bidder is what is important. Or, how much money are you leaving on the table. I think we are leaving money on the table.

But why not the sixth? If someone else offers their 5th round pick, we offer ours because we have them beat.

Further, if Buffalo doesn't want Moulds to go to New England, then it is even more reason to hold firm on the sixth round pick.

I think this is excellent opportunity to nickel and dime a deal. Plus if there is a guy out there they think they get in the 5th they really with some good value, you gotta push for it.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
hollywood_texan said:
My point is Buffalo is getting a free pick because is seems clear no one else is willing to part with a draft pick for Moulds.
How does that seem clear other than to make the point? There were several reports about the Texans offering a 5th and the Eagles offering a 6th. That is simple bidding. Do you have any source affirmatively stating no other team was willing to offer any pick for Moulds?

Plus you are still missing the point on market value. No you do not have to overpay to get a deal done. When you get the deal done it sets the market value or becomes part of the market value equation. There isn't some neon sign out displaying a "market value" for Moulds which the Texans just chose to ignore.

infantrycak said:
How does that seem clear other than to make the point? There were several reports about the Texans offering a 5th and the Eagles offering a 6th. That is simple bidding. Do you have any source affirmatively stating no other team was willing to offer any pick for Moulds?

Plus you are still missing the point on market value. No you do not have to overpay to get a deal done. When you get the deal done it sets the market value or becomes part of the market value equation. There isn't some neon sign out displaying a "market value" for Moulds which the Texans just chose to ignore.
Everything I have read on Philadelphia was that there was no firm offer. If there was, then my point is moot.

If Philadelphia did make a firm offer on their 6th, we have the first pick in the 6th as I understand it, therefore, why not just offer our 6th then?

I am tired of overpaying on these trades.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
done88 said:
Texans Secure Deal with Eric Moulds

The Houston Texans were successful in making a deal that is satisfactory to both Eric Moulds and his former team, the Buffalo Bills. It was speculated last week that the Texans were very close to making a deal with Moulds, but still had work to do with the Bills. In return for Moulds, the Texans are giving Buffalo the first pick in the fifth round in the upcoming draft (134th pick overall).

Moulds (6-2, 210) was given a 4 year contract worth $14 million dollars, plus a $5 million dollar signing bonus.

During his 10 years with the Buffalo Bills, Moulds has marked over 9,000 yards and 48 touchdowns. He will be a veteran the Texans will look at to help teach and mold the teams young receivers.

http://texans.scout.com/2/516831.html
Would this be considered a reliable sourve for the draft pick compensation??

Or are we still debating the 5th/6th issue?

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Not sure if people have posted this already

Bills | Team acquires 2006 fifth-round pick for Moulds
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 23:11:20 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans traded a fifth-round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft to the Buffalo Bills in exchange for WR Eric Moulds.

Texans | Team trades 2006 fifth-round pick for Moulds
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 23:10:06 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans traded a fifth-round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft to the Buffalo Bills in exchange for WR Eric Moulds.

From www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl