Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Moulds Trade Official

Maddict5 said:
EXPLAIN....we'll have players who can step up if a team tries to take our playmakers out of the game..therefore reggie will have more space/ better matchups so he can do his thing:redtowel:

Reggie Bush is a prospect for the NFL draft. The Houston Texans are an NFL team. The Texans are in a period like the other 31 teams that are working on free agent acquisitions, attritions and extensions. Over the course of the last 3 weeks we have shored up some depth and have acquired some players that we can pencil in as starters. What makes Bush the most attractive player for us at the moment is that he is multi dimensional and one of our needs is at WR.

Hulk75 said:
Well there is not too many 25 year old star FAs out there. We finaly got some guys in here and pretty much all of them will start, we have not even got into the draft yet.
If Kubes drafts well we could be a 10-11 win team next year.

Your right "some" of these guys "probably" will not be here very long, but, they are going to help us out a lot this year.

That's not a bad deal at all, IMO. Those guys could be here longer than just the next 2 years. My point is that the front office has not showed signs of looking to build a team to win in 2010, but rather in 2006.

Kaiser Toro said:
Reggie Bush is a prospect for the NFL draft. The Houston Texans are an NFL team. The Texans are in a period like the other 31 teams that are working on free agent acquisitions, attritions and extensions. Over the course of the last 3 weeks we have shored up some depth and have acquired some players that we can pencil in as starters. What makes Bush the most attractive player for us at the moment is that he is multi dimensional and one of our needs is at WR.

Bush was never a candidate to be the #2. His value lies in his backfield play as well as his ability to line up in the slot as a 3rd receiver. Getting a capable #2 does not change the lure of Bush nor the rationale for his selection.

Kaiser Toro said:

still can be used at wr (not to mention we all expected him to be a slot wr), and still your point makes no sense....despite your attempt to be a smug prick

el toro said:
Bush was never a candidate to be the #2. His value lies in his backfield play as well as his ability to line up in the slot as a 3rd receiver. Getting a capable #2 does not change the lure of Bush nor the rationale for his selection.

You and your cohorts only rationale for selecting Bush comes down to these four rationales:

Best back in a generation - that was in college
He is a game breaker - that was in college
He fills needs - not sure where that is
Post link to highlight film - love bright and shiny things

I have seen no rationale in any post on why we should take him.

Kaiser Toro said:

To be fair, I would say there is a difference when you break the huddle about lining up Bush in motion out of the backfield as a flanker as opposed to lining him up as a #2.

I would much rather have a LB try to matchup with him or S vs. a CB. The value to Bush in my mind is that his dimension creates the odd matchups. I can't see signing a solid #2 as anything except taking more defensive attention away from other weapons... I wouldn't be sacred of Walter beating my deep. Moulds, a little more scary, although not what he used to be.

TexanFanInCC said:
basically get them while their young and develop them to fit ur scheme. an older player like moulds with an established reputation is least likely to adapt to a new system.

Your probably right. Thanks for shedding some light.

Kaiser Toro said:
You and your cohorts only rationale for selecting Bush comes down to these four rationales:

Um, I've offered more than that. With respect to "needs", it's not hard to talk yourself out of taking a great player following that logic. Anyways, it's not like Davis hasn't had injury issues nor that Kubiak has not demonstrated that you can use more than one back in his offensive schemes. Why clip your ability to build a potent offense simply to become average at one other spot when you have other methods (other 1st day picks, for example) to address that "need"?

Every player in the draft has a rep based on what they were in college. That's not exactly the best response to those arguments.

Maddict5 said:
still can be used at wr (not to mention we all expected him to be a slot wr), and still your point makes no sense....despite your attempt to be a smug prick

SInce you requested me to explain, which you put in capital letters mind you. I figured you wanted a more thorough explanation. Little did I realize that it was a smug reply.

Congratulations you are the first poster I have ever given a negative post, you did not deserve it, but you certainly earned it.

Kaiser Toro said:

When was the last time a Pro athlete ws in the draft? Doesn't make sense at all.

Kaiser Toro said:

Sure that was in college, but isn't that the same rationale one could use for VY or Mario?

el toro said:
Um, I've offered more than that.

Every player in the draft has a rep based on what they were in college. That's not exactly the best response to those arguments.

I am waiting to see it. Critiquing someone else's posts is not rationalizing, that is called manufacturing doubt.

Wow this is a busy thread for what is most likely a moot point. An article posted earlier on here didn't even put the Texans in MOulds' top five. I would think with only a couple years left he would want to go somewhere his chances of winning a championship were greater. The Texans are probably a year or two away from getting a guy like that willing to take a chance on us during his last few years.

The Dude Abides said:
Sure that was in college, but isn't that the same rationale one could use for VY or Mario?

We do not need VY. Mario would be a good pick at #1, and even better in a trade down scenario.

kcwilson said:
To be fair, I would say there is a difference when you break the huddle about lining up Bush in motion out of the backfield as a flanker as opposed to lining him up as a #2.

I would much rather have a LB try to matchup with him or S vs. a CB. The value to Bush in my mind is that his dimension creates the odd matchups. I can't see signing a solid #2 as anything except taking more defensive attention away from other weapons... I wouldn't be sacred of Walter beating my deep. Moulds, a little more scary, although not what he used to be.

Exactly. With AJ, Moulds and Putzier you have 3 capable receivers that a defense has to worry about already. Throw Bush in as the wildcard, a guy who's a threat to run or line up in the slot on any down. Then you'll still have Davis, Morency or Cook to line up in the backfield and be a threat to run or go into the flat as a receiver. Teams will have to respect the run and pass on every down. Now why give this up?

Kaiser Toro said:
I am waiting to see it. Critiquing someone else's posts is not rationalizing, that is called manufacturing doubt.

eh? You can critique others' points but they cannot critique yours? Whatever.

DRAMA said:
As opposed to...?

:stirpot:

Paying for proven talent in the NFL. We have Carr and AJ at high priced contracts base upon their draft staus and performance in college. We do not need a third on offense. If we truly needed a multi dimensional back we should have gone after Edgerrin.

Kaiser Toro said:
We do not need VY. Mario would be a good pick at #1, and even better in a trade down scenario.

You already have an end that you just gave a fat contract to. If that argument is good enough to dismiss a Bush selection, well, it would seem to work to knock down that suggestion.

Kaiser Toro said:
Paying for proven talent in the NFL. We have Carr and AJ at high priced contracts base upon their draft staus and performance in college. We do not need a third on offense. If we truly needed a multi dimensional back we should have gone after Edgerrin.

Difference is, James could go wherever he wanted to. With Bush, he doesn't have that much of a choice.

Kaiser Toro said:

How else are you to explain why you should draft a certain player? Mario Williams looks like a great DE. Reggie Bush looks like a great RB. We can sit here all day and discuss the merits of each player, but I don't want to spend that kind of time. We all know what each player will bring to the table. If Kubiak and Co. think Bush is the way to go, so be it, and vice versa to Williams/Young/Ferguson. But to come up with reasons as to why a certain player should be picked is fruitless. People will come up with 100's of reasons as to why and why not a player will be selected. Which is why we sit here and debate it for free while Texans officials get paid to make that decision.

Kaiser Toro said:

And Mario Williams is on which NFL team again? Or did NC State somehow just move into the NFC East and I didn't see the headline. Dude, we all realize you have a man crush on Williams, but you are sinking to new lows everyday trying to rationalize this obsession in your mind. Your logic has sunk to the depths of the Titanic, and you are on it. There is plenty of rationale to draft Bush, much of it discussed on this board. Ignoring it doesn't count.

KT to Mario Williams - I wish I knew how to quit you. :ok:

Kaiser Toro said:
SInce you requested me to explain, which you put in capital letters mind you. I figured you wanted a more thorough explanation. Little did I realize that it was a smug reply.

Congratulations you are the first poster I have ever given a negative post, you did not deserve it, but you certainly earned it.

am i bothered?
nice job changing the focus of everything so you dont have to explain your earlier ridiculous comment.
anyway the reason i think we should take reggie is he is a playmaker, a weapon we do badly need. at the moment we have 2 rb's, with DD being injury-prone so it fills a need.
who should we take instead..mario or d'brick..thats about it. ive no problem with either, but we dont need mario now and d'brick is joined by a deep o-line this year

el toro said:
eh? You can critique others' points but they cannot critique yours? Whatever.

I have been putting out not only cirtiques but also my own thinking and reserach based on the cap and where we are invested. If that has not come across then please tell me so I do not have to respond to any of your psts moving forward. Moreover, you still have not offered a rationale on why Bush must be picked other than what I listed before.

Kaiser Toro said:

We do not need a 3rd on offense? Look at the Colts Offense last year. How many Weapons did they have.
Manning,
Harrison,
Wayne,
James,
Dallas Clark,
Stokley

We need more talent on offense. Putzier will make a difference but he is by no means our offensive passing savior.

Maddict5 said:
that makes no sense- yes the OLD coaches proved they couldn't draft very well but if you look at their history- they were just as bad at FA. now with kubiak, we've had a good FA, why not let him do a draft before saying we'll never ever be a good drafting team??

too early to say we've had a good FA period. Weaver could turn out to be a Greenwood etc. Not to mention Casserly is still the GM.

All I'm saying is that in this day and age of the NFL, you signs FA's to fill holes. If you are constatly playing rookies (muchless starting them) then you are destined to be a below .500 team.

Trenches said:
too early to say we've had a good FA period. Weaver could turn out to be a Greenwood etc. Not to mention Casserly is still the GM.

All I'm saying is that in this day and age of the NFL, you signs FA's to fill holes. If you are constatly playing rookies (muchless starting them) then you are destined to be a below .500 team.

true..but you know what i mean..it looks to have been a good FA:)

LOL @ people who still use the "he did that, but it was in college" bs. Isn't every potential draftee coming out of college?

About E.Moulds....I would love to bring Eric here. I hope we can get a deal done and it doesn't cost us "break the bank" type money. Should be an interesting next couple of days, that's if things should progress.

About the Philly thing...notice in that article they tried to put down the Texans a bit so the Eagle fan readers can disregard us and think that "oh, well he wont go there, they're a bad team"...sorry, don't work like that. the writer of that article also said 5 teams, and mentions the Texans once, for a very short time, no less. Moulds isn't using the Texans, seeing as the Eagles wont break the bank either.

Kaiser Toro said:
I have been putting out not only cirtiques but also my own thinking and reserach based on the cap and where we are invested. If that has not come across then please tell me so I do not have to respond to any of your psts moving forward. Moreover, you still have not offered a rationale on why Bush must be picked other than what I listed before.

I have and did above in this thread. I have responded to your points about the "needs" on defense as well as why it isn't the end of times to have a difference in weighting between the offense and defense in the cap. It's not like the two are mutually exclusive. If you have an offense that can move the chains, run the clock and put up points then that is worth plenty defensively. You don't need to attain some mythical balance between both sides of the ball on the cap. Also, offensive talent does end up being priced more so it's not surprising if a team's cap is weighted to the offense.

So I disagree with you. I've proffered my own original points and critiques of your arguments. If you don't like that, well, this is the internets, I'm sure you can find a place where everyone nods in agreement with your opinion.

Porky said:
And Mario Williams is on which NFL team again? Or did NC State somehow just move into the NFC East and I didn't see the headline. Dude, we all realize you have a man crush on Williams, but you are sinking to new lows everyday trying to rationalize this obsession in your mind. Your logic has sunk to the depths of the Titanic, and you are on it. There is plenty of rationale to draft Bush, much of it discussed on this board. Ignoring it doesn't count.

KT to Mario Williams - I wish I knew how to quit you. :ok:

I dig swine so obviously this would illict a comment. You know where I stand on how we are spending our cap dollars Porky. If we were top heavy on the defensive side of the ball I would be clamoring for Bush.

Bush is the pick at the moment and I will not be angered if we take him. I just do not see the defense being taken care of with the current lot of players and trying to grow organically thorugh the draft by using our late first day picks and next year's picks. We will not have cap space to be players in the FA market for defense until 2008 due to dead cap money. Yes we will see a cap good guy every year, but we also must assume that there will other cuts.

Maddict5 said:
am i bothered?
nice job changing the focus of everything so you dont have to explain your earlier ridiculous comment.
anyway the reason i think we should take reggie is he is a playmaker, a weapon we do badly need. at the moment we have 2 rb's, with DD being injury-prone so it fills a need.
who should we take instead..mario or d'brick..thats about it. ive no problem with either, but we dont need mario now and d'brick is joined by a deep o-line this year

I do not really care if you are bothered or happy. If taking the time to EXPLAIN, per your question, is changing focus then we have nothing left to discuss.

I am trying to keep up with everyone as I have the gas can out and matches are flying everywhere. If I miss one of your posts please remind me. :cool:

Kaiser Toro said:
I do not really care if you are bothered or happy. If taking the time to EXPLAIN, per your question, is changing focus then we have nothing left to discuss.

you see you didnt explain it...you said picking up moulds devalues reggie @ #1 because we'd have some depth at wr #2..
which i said wouldnt make a difference because reggie would've been motioned out to, or lined up in the slot receiver when used there anyway
then you started going on about how only reggie has done well against college teams:rolleyes:

Maddict5 said:
you see you didnt explain it...you said picking up moulds devalues reggie @ #1 because we'd have some depth at wr #2..
which i said wouldnt make a difference because reggie would've been motioned out to, or lined up in the slot receiver when used there anyway
then you started going on about how only reggie has done well against college teams:rolleyes:

How many WR's do you think we will carry? We have six signed at the moment and Moulds would be a seventh and Bush would come into a backfield that already has DD, Morency, Norris and Cook. So with a signing of Moulds we would have 11 of our 53 players for our offensive skill positions not inlcuding QB and TE. That number does not include Jason Anderson or Jonathan Wells.

Many of you would like to turn this into a you hate Bush debate. My debate focuses on numbers, need and dollars.

Kaiser Toro said:
Moreover, you still have not offered a rationale on why Bush must be picked other than what I listed before.

He will create matchup problems and take double teams away from AJ. When Carr dumps it off to him he can do more with it than DD. I believe he is also good at picking up a blitz, something DD sucks at.

Even if we get Moulds I don't think he takes double teams away from AJ. He would just serve as an upgrade at #2 receiver.

wags said:
He will create matchup problems and take double teams away from AJ. When Carr dumps it off to him he can do more with it than DD. I believe he is also good at picking up a blitz, something DD sucks at.

Even if we get Moulds I don't think he takes double teams away from AJ. He would just serve as an upgrade at #2 receiver.

I agree with you o everything except the comment aout Moulds not taking double teams away from AJ. I think that Moulds demands respect and will draw away the double team.

Kaiser Toro said:
How many WR's do you think we will carry? We have six signed at the moment and Moulds would be a seventh and Bush would come into a backfield that already has DD, Morency, Norris and Cook.

You know teams load up on players before camp and then cut them before the season. Starling and Morgan probably aren't making the team. That's not exactly going out on a limb either. That leaves us with 4 WR's and no legit #2.

Kaiser Toro said:
How many WR's do you think we will carry? We have six signed at the moment and Moulds would be a seventh and Bush would come into a backfield that already has DD, Morency, Norris and Cook. So with a signing of Moulds we would have 11 of our 53 players for our offensive skill positions not inlcuding QB and TE. That number does not include Jason Anderson or Jonathan Wells.

Many of you would like to turn this into a you hate Bush debate. My debate focuses on numbers, need and dollars.

how many quality wr's do we have? bush should be more explosive than any of our rbs- if DD goes down who would you rather have-morency or reggie?
we've alot of d-line also- that doesnt mean we shouldn't take mario:ok:

KT likes reggie from what I have read, he just does not like the fact that we will essentally have 70M in total money tied up in the RB position. Yes that is 22 for DD and 50+ for Reggie not to mention the Morency factor. Yeah if we got Mario Williams it means we spent alot for a penetrating DT. But if at DT Weaver can produce 6-10 sacks then we got him for cheap because he just became a pro-bowler. The Defense was horrid, and to truly build champions you need to spend on defense, to look at throwing money at offense while the defense is just getting a sub-par DT/DE an injury prone DE, and a couple of set shifts does not inspire me to handle the teams that we will face this year. There will not be another DE that comes out with Mario's measurables for a while, there will be another 50+ worth RB that comes out that has homerun speed. Spend money on a weakness, dont spend it on something the HC knows tons about, that is what got Dom in trouble.

Nah, you spend it on something the HC knows about. The danger lies in taking a top pick whose talents won't be maximized in your system. You still have the rest of the draft plus next offseason to address what issues remain.

It's also not like the defense has been neglected this offseason.

PokerStar said:
KT likes reggie from what I have read, he just does not like the fact that we will essentally have 70M in total money tied up in the RB position. Yes that is 22 for DD and 50+ for Reggie not to mention the Morency factor. Yeah if we got Mario Williams it means we spent alot for a penetrating DT. But if at DT Weaver can produce 6-10 sacks then we got him for cheap because he just became a pro-bowler. The Defense was horrid, and to truly build champions you need to spend on defense, to look at throwing money at offense while the defense is just getting a sub-par DT/DE an injury prone DE, and a couple of set shifts does not inspire me to handle the teams that we will face this year. There will not be another DE that comes out with Mario's measurables for a while, there will be another 50+ worth RB that comes out that has homerun speed. Spend money on a weakness, dont spend it on something the HC knows tons about, that is what got Dom in trouble.

Thank you for captruing my thoughts on this wide canvas we call building a team.

wags said:

We think he'll create matchup problems. Until he beats an NFL defense, I doubt many coaches will start scheming against him. NFL defenders are much better than College defenders. They tackle better, anticipate better, pursue better, take better angles.

I'd also like to see him pick-up a 260lb lineman on a blitze, before I say he's better than DD....... was this one of the cons against DD on his scouting report??

Wow, Reggie will command more attention than Moulds........ Wow.

Eric Moulds would be a great fit here in Houston. I personally think he has about 5 good years left in him. With him and Andre Johnson, they can't give all their focus to AJ. Add Putzier and Reggie Bush to the mix and you have a pretty good offense. Not dynamic, there aren't many dynamic offenses in the NFL, but certainly above-average. I believe our offense alone will have us compete next year. I do believe we will select Reggie Bush and most of the rest of the draft will be spent on defense. Shore up the offense through free agency and shore up defense through the draft. Hopefully the defense will work out.

TexanSam said:
Eric Moulds would be a great fit here in Houston. I personally think he has about 5 good years left in him. With him and Andre Johnson, they can't give all their focus to AJ. Add Putzier and Reggie Bush to the mix and you have a pretty good offense. Not dynamic, there aren't many dynamic offenses in the NFL, but certainly above-average. I believe our offense alone will have us compete next year. I do believe we will select Reggie Bush and most of the rest of the draft will be spent on defense. Shore up the offense through free agency and shore up defense through the draft. Hopefully the defense will work out.

ohh, I hate to disagree. If David plays like he did the first half of 2004, we can be dynamic, very dynamic.

Latest ESPN Insider Report

The Texans are aggressively pursuing a trade for Moulds, the Houston Chronicle reports. Moulds, unwilling to accept a pay cut to stay in Buffalo, has been given permission by the Bills to seek a trade.
"We're exploring an opportunity for Eric to play for the Texans," said Greg Johnson, one of Moulds' representatives. "If all sides can see eye to eye, we'll make it happen.

"But everyone has to see eye to eye."

Before Moulds can be moved, a team would have to negotiate a new contract with the wide receiver. Moulds' destination of choice appears to be Philadelphia, but it's doubtful the Eagles would be willing to meet his financial demands, according to the Philadelphia Daily News. Moulds, who is scheduled to make $7.1 million this season, is seeking a deal similar to the one Isaac Bruce received from the Rams (3 years, $15 million).

"Every time I mention Philadelphia, Eric's ears perk up," Johnson told the Daily News. "He wants to go to Philadelphia. He really feels he could help them. He loves the idea of being an Eagle and playing with Donovan [McNabb]."

The Patriots and Broncos are also believed to be in the mix for Moulds.

i know this isn't groundbreaking or anything but i figured it might actually pull this topic back onto Moulds.

They didnt give any details but ESPNEWS said Eric Moulds is talking w/ the Texans trying to get a deal done.

Eric Moulds for a 4th rd pick wow that would be so great.

Back