Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Louis Nix

Give them credit for not holding onto a player just because of draft position.

And I'll simply repeat what I said up thread back in 2014. I remember everyone here pissing all over themselves when we got him in the 3rd. So I really don't have much tolerance for any of this hindsight BS.

Covington just beat him out.

And I'll simply repeat what I said up thread back in 2014. I remember everyone here pissing all over themselves when we got him in the 3rd. So I really don't have much tolerance for any of this hindsight BS.

I was excited. I won't lie. I peed a little.

Hopefully Wilfork will be the guy we need him to be & Covington can spell him.

I totally thought we had gotten away with something when we snapped him up. Turns out I was wrong.

Wasn't the first time and won't be the last time.

I really like Covington!

He had 1st rd buzz. Can you imagine if he had been our 1st rd pick? I'd like him back on the PS IF he answered OB's cut talk in the proper way. I'd like to see that conversation on Hard Knocks. If OB didn't see fire and determination in his eyes when given the news, then cut bait. If he showed the right attitude let's give him a year to develop and see what he becomes. It's either his wake up call, or he's a goner.

Yeah right. I remember full well how many here were just pissing on themselves with joy when they got Louis Nix that low in the draft.

20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Count me in that group. Damn this is disappointing.

I admit I was excited to land him when we did. Thought we got a guy who physically hit the nail on the head at a spot we had long wanted to nail. Didn't know though that it seemed he loved being associated with being a football player more than he loved working to be a really good football player.

Glad Convington's looking healthy and being recognized.

You folks do realize that Billy/Romeo/Rick used 3 draft picks to draft Nix?

Of course and if you know of some way we can get those picks back you need to get on the phone and tell Bill/Romeo/Rick how to do it. I'm sure Rick has you in his contacts right next to John Elway.

It's done. Thought they had a gold nugget but it turned out to be a chunk of peanut on the end of a turd. Nothing we can do about it now.

I like OB a little more now. A move like that means someone who actually earned a spot can be kept. I liked Kubes, but this is the sort of thing Kubes wouldn't have done.

Should wait a couple of years before praising this type of move. If Nix even becomes a solid rotational lineman for another team, then it's probably not that great of a move.

Also, why say Kubes wouldn't have done this? He cut Montgomery his rookie season.

Of course and if you know of some way we can get those picks back you need to get on the phone and tell Bill/Romeo/Rick how to do it. I'm sure Rick has you in his contacts right next to John Elway.

It's done. Thought they had a gold nugget but it turned out to be a chunk of peanut on the end of a turd. Nothing we can do about it now.

Well, we got a 6th for Matt Schaub, another for Case Keenum, & yet another for Khari Lee... he's getting there.

Should wait a couple of years before praising this type of move. If Nix even becomes a solid rotational lineman for another team, then it's probably not that great of a move.

Also, why say Kubes wouldn't have done this? He cut Montgomery his rookie season.

Wasn't Montgomery's rookie season Kubiak's final season? What I get out of that is it took Kubiak 7 years to figure out you could part ways with a loser that quickly. The guy he did this to stands alone and on the other side are the numerous players he let coast along for years.

OK, technically Kubiak would have done this..... eventually.

Wasn't Montgomery's rookie season Kubiak's final season? What I get out of that is it took Kubiak 7 years to figure out you could part ways with a loser that quickly. The guy he did this to stands alone and on the other side are the numerous players he let coast along for years.

OK, technically Kubiak would have done this..... eventually.

Brandon Harrison, Anthony Hill, Chris Jones. Other draft picks off the top of my head that Kubiak cut early in their career.

Well i'm in the same boat as many oters that was calling his name and was excited to get him. when this camp started i thought he would be in shape and by end of campe be demanding double teaming. I mention that he was being pushed around like a grocery cart in the third game which didn't change in the fourth. I think he needs a year of pulling tractor big rigs and flipping JJ's tractor tires to get strength enought to compete. It's too little too late so cutting was correct.

Of course and if you know of some way we can get those picks back you need to get on the phone and tell Bill/Romeo/Rick how to do it.
Nope, sorry I don't know of any way to get em back but then again I said they should've never done this in the first place.

There were plenty of examples of players that weren't getting it done from a performance standpoint that Kubes kept around forever. Antwaun Molden comes to mind, as does Brandon Harris. I remember shaking my head, wondering why the hell either of those was being kept around when they never put them on the field.

Montgomery was cut for behavioral issues, which is a different ball of wax.

Well OK, you found two. No, I'm not going to give you Chris Jones because he's the same 2013 draft class as Montgomery.

So Kubiak cut a guy he had in camp two years back in 2011 (Hill) and he cut Harrison who he drafted in 2007 after one year. Fair enough. Harrison was part of that 2007 "Amobi Okoye" draft class. I think I blacked out in my mind half the players from that bunch.

2007 & 2013 were both pretty crappy drafts. I'm hoping that 2014 doesn't join them as all-time epic Texans **** fests.

Nope, sorry I don't know of any way to get em back but then again I said they should've never done this in the first place.

Well I must say at least you're around to say "I told you so" and people love hearing that.

Thank goodness that part worked out right? #silverlining

I just really can't wait to see if we're looking at somebody else picking him up, the team trying to sign him to the practice squad, or the team totally washing its hands of him.

Well I must say at least you're around to say "I told you so" and people love hearing that.

Thank goodness that part worked out right? #silverlining
Not my first I told you so and won't be my last I told you so. It won't be long before it's Clowney's turn at I told you so and after Bortles preseason performances that looks like he could be another I told you so.

Not my first I told you so and won't be my last I told you so. It won't be long before it's Clowney's turn at I told you so and after Bortles preseason performances that looks like he could be another I told you so.

You realize of course that your "I told you so" comments don't mean **** without tracking all the times you were wrong, right? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again.

No offense to blind squirrels.

For as long as you've been nursing on Bortles groin I'm sure that Clowney "I told you so" is one you're going to cherish. Normally I'm not a big one for "You're not a real fan" comments but I have to admit, it's a wonder you have time to get in a little Texans love while maintaining your list of future "I told you so's".

It might lead someone to believe that it's your primary focus here. If so then I guess you're getting your entertainment in your own way. The Houston Texans are nothing if not entertaining.

Normally I'm not a big one for "You're not a real fan" comments but I have to admit, it's a wonder you have time to get in a little Texans love while maintaining your list of future "I told you so's".

For 13 years Bob McNair has a .423 winning percentage. What you're seeing in poor salary cap management, bad contracts, Ed Reed, Montgomery, Swearinger, Clowney, Nix is that .423 in action. Get use to it!

For 13 years Bob McNair has a .423 winning percentage. What you're seeing in poor salary cap management, bad contracts, Ed Reed, Montgomery, Swearinger, Clowney, Nix is that .423 in action. Get use to it!

You should really follow your heart

CropperCapture75_zpsentkwivz.jpg

Criteria for valid, intelligent discourse:

1. What did the Texans do wrong?
2. What should they have done (anyone can criticize, the smart ones have an idea to fix)
3. You were smarter and advocated that path ... back then ... Not with 20/20 hindsight.

Re Nix, they missed, I cheered the trade up and pick, I missed too. I waive the right to complain.

XSF is another story. I will ***** and moan if he doesn't pan.

Criteria for valid, intelligent discourse:

1. What did the Texans do wrong?
2. What should they have done (anyone can criticize, the smart ones have an idea to fix)
3. You were smarter and advocated that path ... back then ... Not with 20/20 hindsight.

Re Nix, they missed, I cheered the trade up and pick, I missed too. I waive the right to complain.

XSF is another story. I will ***** and moan if he doesn't pan.

That's the elephant in the room because Joel Bitonio and Gabe Jackson are playing pretty good and they were picked after XSF . Zach Martin was an all pro guard drafted before XSF so out of the four , guess which one is sputtering ?

Last edited:
What does this have to do with poor salary cap management, bad contracts, Ed Reed, Montgomery, Swearinger, Clowney, XSF, Nix and a 13 yr 423 winning %.

No team is perfect. This team has made mistakes but made a lot of good moves too.

What does this have to do with poor salary cap management, bad contracts, Ed Reed, Montgomery, Swearinger, Clowney, XSF, Nix and a 13 yr 423 winning %.

So who did you want instead of those guys at that time?. Until you can explain that, zero merit to your complaints.

Just got off work by reading this I'm assuming they cut Nix. ifThat's the case good. He's been stinking it up the whole preseason. He didn't deserve to be on this team. This shows that this coaching staff is going to cut guys that don't perform regardless of their draft position. That's refreshing after what we went thrthru with Kubiack

I loved the Nix pick from a talent/value standpoint.

The teams get a lot more info and insight to these guys though, so if his heart wasn't in it or he's just lazy that's not something that's not really something internet scouts can make a definitive judgement about. But hey, you win some, you lose some. Just gotta start winning a lot more than losing.

Hate drafting players with injury concerns. Ugh.

Too bad. Waste.

Credit to O'Brien & Co for doing this. I wish we did the same to Jabroni Jones before that asshole cost us a playoff game.

Damn! I'm shocked. I never expected this move. I was one of the people really happy that we moved up and nabbed this guy. I thought he was going to be a steal for us, and I was wrong.

But I never expected the cojones to cut ties with a guy like this so soon.

So who did you want instead of those guys at that time?. Until you can explain that, zero merit to your complaints.

16. Breshard Perryman WR
51. Jake Fisher, OT
82. Xavier Cooper DE
116. Josh Shaw
152. Kyle Emanuel

1. Blake Bortles, QB, UCF
33. Jeremiah Attaochu OLB,
65. Donte Moncrief
101. Caraun Reid, DE Princeton

1. Tank Carradine, DE, FSU
2. Robert Alford, CB, SELA
3. Stedman Bailey, WR, WVU
3. Josh Boyce, WR, TCU
4. John Simon, OLB/ILB, OSU
6. Bacari Rambo, FS, UGA
6. Reid Fragel, OT, OSU
6. D. C. Jefferson, TE, Rutgers
6. Jonathan Stewart, ILB, TAM

1. Cordy Glenn OT
2. Kelechi Osemele OG
3. Nigel Bradham
4. Brandon Boykin

So I just finished watching last night's game. Nix actually performed better than I expected. Not like the first rounder I thought he was, but solid rookie-ish, which is how I characterized his play throughout preseason.

After hearing he was cut this morning, I expected to see some major dogging. But I didn't.

If I were making the cuts, I'd have dropped Pagan, another guy I was excited about drafting, & move Covington around. Sometimes spelling Vince, sometimes spelling Jj, NASCAR package, things like that.

Unless I was worried about Nix's ability to stay healthy.

That's the elephant in the room because Joel Bitonio and Gabe Jackson are playing pretty good and they were picked after XSF . Zach Martin was an all pro guard drafted before XSF so out of the four , guess which one is sputtering ?
The old saying is hindsight is 20-20. But I don't even think we can agree in hindsight to that lofty level.

Damn! I'm shocked. I never expected this move. I was one of the people really happy that we moved up and nabbed this guy. I thought he was going to be a steal for us, and I was wrong.

But I never expected the cojones to cut ties with a guy like this so soon.
I think getting Wilfork AFTER the draft has a bearing on our patience with Nix.

Cleveland cut ties with 1st round pick Phil Taylor. This seems far less damaging. Still Rick should be prohibited from trading up in 3rd round based off trend.

So I just finished watching last night's game. Nix actually performed better than I expected. Not like the first rounder I thought he was, but solid rookie-ish, which is how I characterized his play throughout preseason.

After hearing he was cut this morning, I expected to see some major dogging. But I didn't.

If I were making the cuts, I'd have dropped Pagan, another guy I was excited about drafting, & move Covington around. Sometimes spelling Vince, sometimes spelling Jj, NASCAR package, things like that.

Unless I was worried about Nix's ability to stay healthy.

That's the way I saw it too, but I can understand the cut and while I wouldn't have done it I like the overall vibe the cut brings.

Back