Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Louis Nix

And since he isn't using one, one of the graphically gifted should create a ".423" avatar for Mr Texian.

As long as McNair continues to make the same boneheaded mistakes year after year, it's just as easy to call attention to those mistakes, year after year. And it looks like Swearinger, Nix are this year's SNAFU with the strong possibility of Clowney and XSF joining that list.

Texians were pre 1845 (well before the Civil War), The Republic of Texas of which my 3rd, 4th and 5th Great Grandparents belonged. (I'm a 7th Generation Texan, the Texian name is in honor of my great grandparents and The Republic of Texas)
There were several variants during the Texas War of Independence including Texian, Texican and Texan by us as well as Rebels, Anglos, Interlopers and Amerexians by Mexico.

I can't prove a link to the War of Independence, but have evidence of residency in 1840 in the Republic of Texas.

Maybe when regular season starts folks can criticize the opponent rather than rant on and on about each other. Nah, too much too hope for

Maybe when regular season starts folks can criticize the opponent rather than rant on and on about each other. Nah, too much too hope for
LOL! I just criticized the board for a lack of optimism and BANG!...you come in with a doozy.

Field Yates @FieldYates
Source: DT Louis Nix failed his physical with the Giants. He goes back to the waiver system. Team also hosted TE Joseph Fauria on a visit.​

Welp, there you go.

Giants were 9th in w.w. order, so still a lot of teams that might also claim him.

Last edited:
That would be Romeo & Bill. Rick advised Bill they would've to move up for real chance to draft Nix. Bill said "DO IT" and Rick on Bill's command orchestrated the the trade up to draft Nix.

No no no. OB wasn't even thinking about Nix. Never considered him in the draft. But Smith got a chubby seeing a fatty still on the board and decided on his own to trade up in order to get him. When OB asked a big WTF??? Rick told him to deal with it. He had the biggest balls in the room and was in complete control. Because... Fire Rick Smith

No no no. OB wasn't even thinking about Nix. Never considered him in the draft. But Smith got a chubby seeing a fatty still on the board and decided on his own to trade up in order to get him. When OB asked a big WTF??? Rick told him to deal with it. He had the biggest balls in the room and was in complete control. Because... Fire Rick Smith
Sad to say more wishful thinking and yes Rick Smith should be fired for the mess he has created with the College, Pro player development departments. The reason Smith hasn't been fired is because he answers directly to Bob, Bill (Kubiak) and does what he's been asked to do. Apparently he has done that well. Hard to fire someone when they have no real responsibility or accountability because their job is to carry out orders. And that's why Smith hasn't been fired.

Sad to say more wishful thinking and yes Rick Smith should be fired for the mess he has created with the College, Pro player development departments. The reason Smith hasn't been fired is because he answers directly to Bob, Bill (Kubiak) and does what he's been asked to do. Apparently he has done that well. Hard to fire someone when they have no real responsibility or accountability because their job is to carry out orders. And that's why Smith hasn't been fired.

So if all he does is carry out orders, why do you want him fired? Won't his replacement simply carry out orders? FIRE RICK SMITH!!!1!!

How quickly we forget . . .

Yeah right. I remember full well how many here were just pissing on themselves with joy when they got Louis Nix that low in the draft.

20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.

:dontknowa

So if all he does is carry out orders, why do you want him fired? Won't his replacement simply carry out orders? FIRE RICK SMITH!!!1!!
Because Smith is responsible for the pro and college scouting departments and for organizing the draft. That doesn't mean he makes decisions who to draft, only setting the board and orchestrating and operating draft at the direction of Bob and Bill. There is shouldn't be much disagreement that Texans drafts have been more of a disappointment since Smith personnel took over the college and pro player personnel departments (some 9 years ago).

Because Smith is responsible for the pro and college scouting departments and for organizing the draft. That doesn't mean he makes decisions who to draft, only setting the board and orchestrating and operating draft at the direction of Bob and Bill. There is shouldn't be much disagreement that Texans drafts have been more of a disappointment since Smith personnel took over the college and pro player personnel departments (some 9 years ago).

What? Are you saying that Charlie Casserly did a better job?

That would be Romeo & Bill. Rick advised Bill they would've to move up for real chance to draft Nix. Bill said "DO IT" and Rick on Bill's command orchestrated the the trade up to draft Nix.

I see someone had access to the Texans draft war room. Or did someone just put a bunch of rumors together and is now presenting them as fact?

How quickly we forget . . .

:dontknowa

I was thrilled with the pick. When healthy Nix was a beast IMO. It seems like he has some health issues or some motivational issues which have not allowed him to become an NFL player. I think I can look and see who has talent, but as fans we don't have access to players that medical and personnel people do.

I don't think anyone has forgotten their position.

But whenever you have multiple mid round picks be complete non-contributors it still falls back in the team.

Even if at the time you love every pick the team ever makes....if every one of those picks busts doesn't mean the team gets a pass just because the fans initially liked the pick.

Personally, I don't have a problem with what they've done in the draft overall. The Texans generally are able to draft good players.

The Texans just need to win. Bad free agent signings, busted picks..every team has a list..just win aka find a qb

But whenever you have multiple mid round picks be complete non-contributors it still falls back in the team.

And the draft itself. How many players have become serious contributors from the mid rounds over the last few drafts?

I noticed several recently drafted players hitting the waiver wire this year. As if a lot of teams weren't happy with what they got out of recent drafts.

I loved the Nix pick when it happened, but he turned out to be a bust. We should get over it, because it doesn't matter who the hell our GM is, this sort of thing happens all the time, to all NFL teams, not just to us. Humans and cattle can't be prejudged until you see them on the field anyway.

At least cattle can be turned into steaks and taco meat. An overweight lineman that can't cut the NFL is useless, unless he goes into wrestling or something.

Louis Nix III is a heck of a player and he was quite the difference maker while at Notre Dame. He's just been dealing with unfortunate injuries and Christian Covington looks like a better prospect at this point. I'm glad he failed his physical with the Giants though. We can try to add him to our practice squad now.

Louis Nix III is a heck of a player and he was quite the difference maker while at Notre Dame. He's just been dealing with unfortunate injuries and Christian Covington looks like a better prospect at this point. I'm glad he failed his physical with the Giants though. We can try to add him to our practice squad now.
What I don't get though, is Covington doesn't look like the guy "everyone" says RAC wants in the middle. He looks more like a Wade guy. Unless I'm wrong about what Wilfork looked like or did 12 years ago.

Covington looks more like a Wade guy, or a possible upgrade/relief to Watt & Crick.

What I don't get though, is Covington doesn't look like the guy "everyone" says RAC wants in the middle. He looks more like a Wade guy. Unless I'm wrong about what Wilfork looked like or did 12 years ago.

Covington looks more like a Wade guy, or a possible upgrade/relief to Watt & Crick.

I thought we'd look for another big guy too...

Race prolly is just going to ask the guy to do what he does best and adjust around him. Really, that's what good coaches do...

I thought we'd look for another big guy too...

Race prolly is just going to ask the guy to do what he does best and adjust around him. Really, that's what good coaches do...

I understand, just think what he does best would be best utilized in the Under Tackle position which Crick & Watt line up at more so than our NT. Which is why I suggested cutting Pagan instead of Nix.

# of draft picks/# still in the league/# still on team

2007 Ravens 7/3/1 Texans 7/3/0
2008 Ravens 10/2/1 Texans 7/1/1
2009 Ravens 6/2/0 Texans 8/5/1
2010 Ravens 7/3/1 Texans 9/5/2
2011 Ravens 8/5/1 Texans 8/5/2

So what your saying is, Rick Smith not only has drafted better NFL talent than Ozzie, but he has kept more of that talent on his own team.

That's about as crazy as saying half the teams in the league have a worse winning percentage than the Texans during his tenure. We all know he is the worst GM to ever sit in a front office.

You're right. Christian Covington is 6'2 and 290 as an NFL rookie coming out of Rice. When Vince Wilfork was a junior with the Miami Hurricanes he was listed at 6'2 and 344 but his athleticism for his size was pretty incredible. This was the bowl game he played in 2004 as a junior, prior to joining the NFL Draft. I had actually scouted Vince Wilfork for the Texans during that time. I wanted the Texans to draft him. We selected Dunta Robinson at 10. Vince Wilfork fell to the Patriots at 21 which was a stunner to me.

But regardless of the weight difference, I think Christian Covington is more than capable of making big plays and disrupting the offense. He showed a lot of great things this training camp and preseason. I thought he had first-round potential if he hadn't gotten hurt at Rice.

Is his future as a defensive end in Romeo Crennel's 3-4 scheme? Perhaps. I think Christian Covington's upside is very strong. He could be a force on the other side of J.J. Watt. His upside is better than anything Jared Crick can become.

But if you played Covington at nose tackle, if Wilfork needs a breather, he'll still make plays. Guys with a high motor and high football IQ like Covington has can play anywhere on a D-Line, 3-4 or 4-3. Covington stuffed a run against the Cowboys this past Thursday Night, showing good penetration coming off two blockers.

Christian Covington, overall, is a better prospect than Louis Nix III at this point. But that being said I'd welcome him back to the practice squad. I heard the Giants placed Nix back on waivers after he failed his physical but I don't know if another team has signed him. If not, the Texans are allowed to negotiate a practice squad opportunity for him.

Last edited:
There is shouldn't be much disagreement that Texans drafts have been more of a disappointment since Smith personnel took over the college and pro player personnel departments (some 9 years ago).

I personally think his drafts have been ok. Wasn't there also multiple articles stating that the Texans are one of the better drafting teams in the league?

So what your saying is, Rick Smith not only has drafted better NFL talent than Ozzie, but he has kept more of that talent on his own team.

That's about as crazy as saying half the teams in the league have a worse winning percentage than the Texans during his tenure. We all know he is the worst GM to ever sit in a front office.

Crazy is thinking how critical the decision to hire Bill O'Brien is if all that is true.

I wanted Whisenhunt, there were a few other good candidates as well. I'm good with where we are now, but imagine we had Whisenhunt & Lebeau.

I personally think his drafts have been ok. Wasn't there also multiple articles stating that the Texans are one of the better drafting teams in the league?
His first-round picks have been ok. It helps that he drafted the best player on the planet and likely on his way to becoming the best defensive player in NFL History. His lower-round picks also seem good and his ability to sign an undrafted free agent like an Arian Foster seem to seal his fate as a good NFL GM.

Let's face it, all those ESPN articles that rank all 32 NFL GM's seem to have Rick Smith listed in the middle of the pack (12-16 ish range) just because of Brian Cushing, J.J. Watt, Arian Foster and Duane Brown. He hit three home runs in the first round. Hopefully four of five if Jadeveon Clowney and Kevin Johnson become all pro caliber players.

But it's okay to be down on Rick Smith right now. It hurts to admit the fact that we don't even have a couple of third-round picks on the current roster from recent drafts (Louis Nix III and Sam Montgomery). Now it's obvious Montgomery ruined his NFL career with his drug addiction. It's just bad luck, for lack of a better word, that Louis Nix is injury prone.

Too many second, third, fourth-rounders that have eluded us.
We can't continue to miss the boat so often on these picks, IMO.
Xavier Su'a-FIlo has been a terrible disappointment. 2014 second-rounder...

Tom Savage was a fourth-round pick in a recent draft. Too high for a third-string quarterback that's injury prone (got hurt in the brief game he entered as a rookie at Indianapolis), and already placed on IR in year two. Maybe he's a future franchise quarterback for us. He could still end up being a great selection but for now it doesn't look like it.

I'm only going off the top of my head. You don't have to remember all of the questionable picks in those rounds. We've flat out blew some high-round 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks in recent drafts. A couple of those guys aren't even on our current roster. And another two are injured right now.

Just how valuable are a 2nd, couple 3rds and a 4th round pick? Well, you can trade that type of draft chart value for a veteran player, still in his prime, that's a pro bowler at a glaring need. But Rick Smith "values all draft picks" unfortunately. He's reluctant to trade a seventh-rounder for a mediocre offensive lineman. Not gutsy enough to pull the trigger on something bigger.

So I guess it depends how you view Rick Smith.
Middle-of-the-pack as an NFL GM? Hmm, probably.
A lot of great things to like. A lot of bad things to hate.

I'll say this much. If we had an elite quarterback we'd be competing for Super Bowls regardless of a lot of those draft misses. I can't blame the guy for taking a chance on a quarterback in the fourth-round. Bill O'Brian was very high on Tom Savage and like I said, he may still pan out in another year or two down the road.

This is why I wanted to gamble on Peyton Manning way back when, several off-seasons ago when he had interest in coming here. But he couldn't play in Gary Kubiak's system right? Matt Schaub was our guy right? Funny how Peyton is now playing for Kubiak in Denver and Schaub, is well, pretty much an interception machine with no arm strength anymore. He should retire after disappointing backup stints in Oakland and Baltimore.

Crazy is thinking how critical the decision to hire Bill O'Brien is if all that is true.

I wanted Whisenhunt, there were a few other good candidates as well. I'm good with where we are now, but imagine we had Whisenhunt & Lebeau.
We're in great shape as a franchise overall. We have a ton of young talent on both sides of the ball and enough elite players to carry us when the chips are down. All we truly lack right now is what you would classify as a Super Bowl winning type of quarterback.

Our offensive line depth, and even our starting offensive line, does concern me a little. We can't afford for Duane Brown to miss any games. I'm hearing from a good source that he may not even play on Sunday against the Chiefs despite all the reports being positive that he will play. Even Duane Brown said himself he's going to play so I'm hopeful that my source is 100 % wrong. We shall see.

The Houston Texans are an okay team. But I hate "being okay"!
Like J.J. Watt often talks about. I also want greatness from this team.
We were an okay 9-7 team last year. Everything about us is just okay.

Teams like the Patriots (cheaters or not) and Seahawks strive for more than okay. People in Green Bay, Denver, or any city that has an elite quarterback for that matter, are more than okay.

But we're the Houston Texans. We will always be just okay. Right?

Where are you getting that info? 2009 Ravens still have 4 players in the league by my count. Oher, Kruger, Webb and Peerman are on teams according to NFL.com, though it might have changed since the cuts this week. Webb is still with the Ravens too, he's a pretty good CB but tore an ACL recently.

Where are you getting that info? 2009 Ravens still have 4 players in the league by my count. Oher, Kruger, Webb and Peerman are on teams according to NFL.com, though it might have changed since the cuts this week. Webb is still with the Ravens too, he's a pretty good CB but tore an ACL recently.

Pro football reference and spotrac. I threw my notes away but you're correct that line should be 6/4/1. Thx.

Cak you know better than to bring facts to a Texian conversation. He's the smartest man in the room.

Back