Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Louis Nix

I wish he was healthy. I think cloak said Nix could be ok injury wise/He wasn't as negative about his long term prognosis.

I love Nix as a player when he's healthy and his body is right, but that's just it...He's got to be healthy and have his body right.

I really liked this draft on it's surface, but so far Clowney has had 2 surgeries since he's been drafted...Xman is struggling in pass pro...Nix IR...Savage??? I guess Fido is holding it down for the meat of the draft.

Rick Smith is a "D" student. That is all!

Yeah right. I remember full well how many here were just pissing on themselves with joy when they got Louis Nix that low in the draft.

20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Yeah right. I remember full well how many here were just pissing on themselves with joy when they got Louis Nix that low in the draft.

Agreed. Nix was a calculated risk at a barren spot on the roster that a lot of people were happy about.

We should have grabbed Khalil Mack and Bridgewater, but it is what it is. Still hoping for the best.

I'm no Rick Smith Fan - but round 3 is where you start gambling - Nix is / was definitely a gamble.

Yep. IF this guy gets all healed up and can play again, the pick was worth it. Unless the draft pick is a resounding success, you can't judge them their first year anyway. Even if they are bad, there is still a chance for improvement.

We've all made this mistake before.

I still like Nix. Apparently some take longer to translate to the NFL.

Anywho, he gone for the season and now we have Pickett and Powe. Anything to keep Jamison off the nose, for Pete's sake

I'm no Rick Smith Fan - but round 3 is where you start gambling - Nix is / was definitely a gamble.

I'd say the bottom half of round three is where you can start to gamble a little. The top of three is very close to two and solid starters can be found there without too much difficulty.

So this is one of those "Shut it down, get healthy, pretend he's a rookie next year who has a head start on all the real rookies" kind of thing right? I still won't call it a wasted pick yet. If he comes back next year physically ready to go and can take the step up to the NFL it's a great pick even with the injury going in.

I wish he was healthy. I think cloak said Nix could be ok injury wise/He wasn't as negative about his long term prognosis.

I love Nix as a player when he's healthy and his body is right, but that's just it...He's got to be healthy and have his body right.

I really liked this draft on it's surface, but so far Clowney has had 2 surgeries since he's been drafted...Xman is struggling in pass pro...Nix IR...Savage??? I guess Fido is holding it down for the meat of the draft.

Blue is looking like the best player out of the draft. Once again, the 6th round is Rick's bread and butter.

To be fair, Texian wasn't one of those people.

Thank you Royalty. I said from the get go that the Texans wasted a 4th and 5th rd pick to move up for Nix. I said before the draft that Nix had more games in college with 0 tackles than he had games with at least 1 tackle. View the Nix draft thread for all those who are fans of the "Men of Girth".

So this is one of those "Shut it down, get healthy, pretend he's a rookie next year who has a head start on all the real rookies" kind of thing right? I still won't call it a wasted pick yet. If he comes back next year physically ready to go and can take the step up to the NFL it's a great pick even with the injury going in.

Yeah, he's the second of two 3rd round picks who didn't have to work hard to flash in college... showed up without that work ethic, without the personal discipline... missed time due to a lingering condition(s) that ended up requiring knee surgery just before training camp... and has missed too much needed time to contribute right now...

So this is a move that makes the team better right now, independent of whether Nix, III is
emot-airquote.gif
one of OB's/Rick's guys or not.

Another thread with someone complaining. What a shock. Nix is definitely worth the wait if he comes back and gets healthy and plays to his potential. Here's a question though. If he does get healthy are you going to go back and dig this up and say I was wrong? I doubt it. Put check marks next to the statements you make that work out (even if it is a premature judgement) and cross out the ones you get wrong.

Mike

We should have grabbed Khalil Mack and Bridgewater, but it is what it is. Still hoping for the best.
We made the right choice with Jadeveon Clowney. You can't let one minor injury change your opinion. He'll be back in two or three weeks. In the mean time we have to focus on beating the Bills and reaching 3-1. Let's control what we can.

Very true, Mike.

Ironically it was Jeoffrey Pagan out of Alabama who had several red flags about his health entering the draft. Out of the three potential young studs and superstars we drafted on defense - Clowney, Nix and Pagan - all of which had high ceilings and were highly rated - it was Pagan who's health made him fall very far in the draft.

And yet Pagan has been the most healthy rookie of the bunch. He actually played hard against the Giants even though he wasn't credited with a tackle. He nearly one-handed intercepted a J.J. Watt batted pass off Eli Manning but was a half second too late and a little out of reach.

Sure, it would be nice if every highly touted rookie dominated especially as a defensive player but we're barely entering our fourth game of the 2014 season. A chance to be 3-1 and in first place in the AFC South. At the end of the day I'm just thankful this team is talented and pretty fun to watch even if some things haven't gone our way on the injury front.

If the team was 0-4, I'd see the worry but a chance to be 3-1 and in first place in the AFC South gives them time to overcome some injuries. It's not as bad as you guys are making it out to be. If the Texans end up beating the Bills, Cowboys and Colts and are 5-1 all of a sudden people will be talking about how good this team is and not which players they are missing.

We made the right choice with Jadeveon Clowney. You can't let one minor injury change your opinion. He'll be back in two or three weeks. In the mean time we have to focus on beating the Bills and reaching 3-1. Let's control what we can.

Dude, didn't you hear?

Texian has proclaimed Nix a a bust, because no one ever gets hurt that isn't a bust.

Thank you Royalty. I said from the get go that the Texans wasted a 4th and 5th rd pick to move up for Nix. I said before the draft that Nix had more games in college with 0 tackles than he had games with at least 1 tackle. View the Nix draft thread for all those who are fans of the "Men of Girth".

You can't judge a NT's performance by stats. His main job is to occupy blockers. Also, to call him a waste this early is extremely premature. BJ Raji struggled a lot his rookie season.

Is he really hurt, or is this making room for the vet signing?

BoB was on 610 Monday and asked about Nix and just said he needed to work harder and get better to see the field. Seems like he is being placed on IR because he isn't cutting it in practice.

BoB was on 610 Monday and asked about Nix and just said he needed to work harder and get better to see the field. Seems like he is being placed on IR because he isn't cutting it in practice.

This is what I am thinking. BoB has been calling him lazy all year and now he is hurt? Seems like they decided they needed an actual NT in that roster spot after getting trucked by the Giants.

James Palmer @JPalmerCSN
O’Brien says Nix issues are health related. Said Nix will have another procedure. Won’t say what it is because it’s personal with the player

Nix will have another surgery that will place him on the IR. Bill O'Brien won't disclose what it is. #Texans

O'Brien said Nix is a guy they have high hopes for in the future. Said injuries had a lot to do with his struggles. #Texans

He was cleared to play for last week as far as I know. This seems like them wanting to shut him down for the rest of the year and open a roster spot for a reserve NT (Pickett) who could actually contribute.

I'm not too upset by this development. We knew this offseason that Nix might not be a contributor this year and might need a redshirt year to get healthy.

Another thread with someone complaining. What a shock. Nix is definitely worth the wait if he comes back and gets healthy and plays to his potential. Here's a question though. If he does get healthy are you going to go back and dig this up and say I was wrong? I doubt it. Put check marks next to the statements you make that work out (even if it is a premature judgement) and cross out the ones you get wrong.

Mike

If you knew before the draft that Nix wasn't going to be able to contribute in 2014 would you have used that third on him, or someone who would?

Is he that special that you'd spend a 3rd on him anyway?

Not gonna lie, I liked the Nix pick at the time. I didn't think he'd fall to the third round. I was expecting the Texans to draft Ryan Carrethers. (5th round, Chargers)

Hopefully Nix can return in great shape for next season. If that appears grim, I hope the Texans draft another nose next year. This d-line needs to get fatter for Romeo's two-gapper defense.

I wanted players that would contribute to this season at least by mid term. However, this has always been a throw away year for me. Brennan Williams was a huge disappointment for me. The problem for me is Nix had hernia surgery prior to 2013 season and between then and now he has lost from 360 to 331 (combine). That is a player with little drive and piss poor coaching staff follow through on both his college and Texans coaches. Nix needs to show up next OTAs healthy and about 315 pounds. If you are going to draft a fat lineman with leg injuries (and I wanted him), then you better pull excessive weight off him.

He was cleared to play for last week as far as I know. This seems like them wanting to shut him down for the rest of the year and open a roster spot for a reserve NT (Pickett) who could actually contribute.

I'm not too upset by this development. We knew this offseason that Nix might not be a contributor this year and might need a redshirt year to get healthy.

Yeah , we knew this going in ..... but its damn disappointing , mainly because a healthy Nix could help solve most of the defenses problems. Just hope he gets whatever this mystery surgery is taken care of and comes in for a full offseason healthy.

As for Pickett .... He cant be worse than what we've seen thus far.

man y'all need to get a grip. Only way Nix the III was available late into the 3rd was because of his medical red flags. When healthy he can ball. Big guys with power who can move athletically are a commodity. Next year he comes back & plays like a 2nd rounder with experience plus another year with Crennel in his ear he will play up to his 1st rd. potential. Does not preclude me or others from still searching for interior 3-4 DL in next years draft.

BL :wesmantexanfan:

This pretty much sums it up:

"While it's too early to say the Nix pick has been a disaster for the Texans (disaster would be Jadeveon Clowney's knee injury lingering any further than the 6 weeks he's set to miss), considering they gave up a pick to move up and get him, it's at the very least been another heavy dent in the crumpled armor of Rick Smith as a talent evaluator".

Rick Smith oversees all football-related operations and the player acquisition process. We were the worst team in the NFL last year and here's one of the reasons why: Look at 2013 draft: DeAndre Hopkins, D.J. Swearinger and Ryan Griffin have worked out. Brennan Williams, Sam Montgomery, Trevardo Williams and Chris Jones have not. David Quessenberry and Alan Bonner are not in uniform.
2013 draft was the most disappointing of Rick Smith’s eight-year history as general manager. Why is he still here?? If we're going to rebuild thru the draft, we need a new General Manager.

Last edited by a moderator:

"While it's too early to say the Nix pick has been a disaster for the Texans (disaster would be Jadeveon Clowney's knee injury lingering any further than the 6 weeks he's set to miss), considering they gave up a pick to move up and get him, it's at the very least been another heavy dent in the crumpled armor of Rick Smith as a talent evaluator".
It's more like two or three weeks now. He was interviewed on Sunday Night and says his knee is already feeling much better and hopes to be back as soon as possible. I'll be shocked if Clowney isn't back for the October 20 game at Pittsburgh. If the Texans want to play it cautious then perhaps the October 26 game against the Titans at NRG Stadium. What sucks is we'll have to play the Cowboys and Colts - two strong offenses - without him. Which is why I consider the Bills game on Sunday a "must win" because at 3-1 we'll be guaranteed to be in the playoff race when Clowney returns. I'm still holding out some hope that Clowney will be back for the Colts game in a few weeks.

Rick Smith oversees all football-related operations and the player acquisition process. We were the worst team in the NFL last year and here's one of the reasons why: Look at 2013 draft: DeAndre Hopkins, D.J. Swearinger and Ryan Griffin have worked out. Brennan Williams, Sam Montgomery, Trevardo Williams and Chris Jones have not. David Quessenberry and Alan Bonner are not in uniform.
2013 draft was the most disappointing of Rick Smith’s eight-year history as general manager. Why is he still here?? If we're going to rebuild thru the draft, we need a new General Manager.

I'd have to disagree that 2013 was his worst draft. Can't forget the dumpster fire that was 2009.:

1/10 (from Atlanta) Amobi Okoye Defensive tackle Louisville
3/73 Jacoby Jones* Wide receiver Lane
4/123 (from New Orleans) Fred Bennett Cornerback South Carolina
5/144 Brandon Harrison Safety Stanford
5/163 (from New Orleans) Brandon Frye Offensive tackle Virginia Tech
6/183 Kasey Studdard Offensive guard Texas
7/218 Zac Diles Linebacker Kansas State

Utter garbage, especially considering who we passed up to take 0k0ye.

I'd have to disagree that 2013 was his worst draft. Can't forget the dumpster fire that was 2009.:

1/10 (from Atlanta) Amobi Okoye Defensive tackle Louisville
3/73 Jacoby Jones* Wide receiver Lane
4/123 (from New Orleans) Fred Bennett Cornerback South Carolina
5/144 Brandon Harrison Safety Stanford
5/163 (from New Orleans) Brandon Frye Offensive tackle Virginia Tech
6/183 Kasey Studdard Offensive guard Texas
7/218 Zac Diles Linebacker Kansas State

Utter garbage, especially considering who we passed up to take 0k0ye.

I'm assuming you mean 2007.

Back