Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Louis Nix

Again, it's not about agreeing to disagree on this.

This team is currently more suited to run a 3-4 vs a 4-3.

I don't know that we need three LB's. I wouldn't get my hopes up with that because you may being seeing just one new starting LB next year.

Regardless if we only get one doesn't mean we don't need three, much less depth across the board.

You have your opinion, I have mine. That simple.

I'd be looking for a #1 ILB rather than a #2 or #3. Keep in mind that the tibial plateau fracture that he sustained in his last injury by definition is a fracture that goes through the tibial cartilage surface, usually causing cartilage damage beyond the immediate site of fracture.

tpf_classification_schatzker05.png

In fact, especially in cases of tibial plateau fractures that are displaced and require surgery, it is not uncommon for there to be associated overlying meniscus damage at the separation site.

images

I hope this does not happen, but do not be surprised if after a few games, Cushing's knee begins swelling again and giving him problems......with the next words we hear being "microfracture surgery."

Are you telling us that getting 2 or 3 good more years from Cushing is optimistic. Draft one guy this year and another next??

Well gee, I wanted an ILB to stick next to Cushing when this offseason started. Now I've come to find out we had the 7th D with donkey schlong at LB period. It's not hard to replace donkey schlong so let's go with that...or maybe upgrade with 4 UDFAs.

Well gee, I wanted an ILB to stick next to Cushing when this offseason started. Now I've come to find out we had the 7th D with donkey schlong at LB period. It's not hard to replace donkey schlong so let's go with that...or maybe upgrade with 4 UDFAs.

I'm not following you, are you disagreeing with Doc's assessment, or are your saying the defense was great despite the ILB's.

I'm not following you, are you disagreeing with Doc's assessment, or are your saying the defense was great despite the ILB's.

Did I quote Doc?

I was disagreeing with the notion we have 4 **** LBers unsuitable to either a 3-4 or 4-3.

Specifically on Cushing, I take Docs prognosis for longevity and problems almost verbatim. When Cushing has approached health I disagree on his effectiveness. Doc is very conservative on medical prognosis and that had been proven repeatedly prudent/accurate. On field JMO but he looks a little too much for the anticipated effects of the injuries. Also a discussion we have had.

I think Cushing was getting rapidly better last year until his knee swelled up. Cushing is Russian roulette to me at this point. If he knee holds for a few months he'll be above average again. Or he'll be off the field.

Did I quote Doc?

I was disagreeing with the notion we have 4 **** LBers unsuitable to either a 3-4 or 4-3.

Specifically on Cushing, I take Docs prognosis for longevity and problems almost verbatim. When Cushing has approached health I disagree on his effectiveness. Doc is very conservative on medical prognosis and that had been proven repeatedly prudent/accurate. On field JMO but he looks a little too much for the anticipated effects of the injuries. Also a discussion we have had.

I think Cushing was getting rapidly better last year until his knee swelled up. Cushing is Russian roulette to me at this point. If he knee holds for a few months he'll be above average again. Or he'll be off the field.

Thanks for making your thoughts clear.

Best case scenario, Cushing/Clowney comeback 90% healthy and LB becomes a strength instead of a weakness. Worst case+ Clowney/Cushing suck/cant play because of injury, Mercilus regresses back into what he was before last yr and a drafted LB proves to be a bust.

I honestly don't know which way this is going to turn out. What are your thoughts?

Best case scenario, Cushing/Clowney comeback 90% healthy and LB becomes a strength instead of a weakness. Worst case+ Clowney/Cushing suck/cant play because of injury, Mercilus regresses back into what he was before last yr and a drafted LB proves to be a bust.

I honestly don't know which way this is going to turn out. What are your thoughts?

I don't disagree with you other than uncoupling Cush and Clowney.

hahahahaha

I mean MSR

I think best case is we get Cushing for 10 games at 75% of what he used to be and Clowney for 8 games at 80% of expectations for him. Simon is a huge question mark, hopefully Merciless will continue to add strength and improve,
Tarpinian and Dent stay healthy and we add a very solid run d along with what should be a very solid pass d

I think best case is we get Cushing for 10 games at 75% of what he used to be and Clowney for 8 games at 80% of expectations for him. Simon is a huge question mark, hopefully Merciless will continue to add strength and improve,
Tarpinian and Dent stay healthy and we add a very solid run d along with what should be a very solid pass d

Bottom line for me is, even if Rick doesn't draft a defensive player, if RAC's defense stays healthy the Texans will have another top 10 defense.

Watt/Wilfork and the secondary will be very good. Health is the biggest issue.

I'd be looking for a #1 ILB rather than a #2 or #3. Keep in mind that the tibial plateau fracture that he sustained in his last injury by definition is a fracture that goes through the tibial cartilage surface, usually causing cartilage damage beyond the immediate site of fracture.

tpf_classification_schatzker05.png

In fact, especially in cases of tibial plateau fractures that are displaced and require surgery, it is not uncommon for there to be associated overlying meniscus damage at the separation site.

images

I hope this does not happen, but do not be surprised if after a few games, Cushing's knee begins swelling again and giving him problems......with the next words we hear being "microfracture surgery."
This surprises me as I thought he played well as season progressed; not the old Cush but pretty darn good. He played 62 % of offensive plays which not great but better than I hoped. I knew he was hurting & not 100%.

Texans linebacker Brian Cushing was healthier last season than he had been for the previous two years, but he was still dealing with plenty of injuries.

In fact, Cushing has already had three surgical procedures this offseason: One to repair a broken right wrist, one arthroscopic procedure on his left ankle and a procedure on the left knee that has plagued him for years.

“It’s not uncommon for stuff like that to happen. It’s just little things here and there, the residual effects of two major surgeries and injuries, the wear and tear of playing throughout the season,” Cushing told the Houston Chronicle. “There were still some things bothering me a little bit. Just went in there and had real good success in both areas and looking forward to a very healthy and productive season. We have the technology and the doctors, especially in Houston, to do a simple, minor procedure like that. Go in, clean whatever needs to get out of there and just feel better.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...shing-has-had-three-surgeries-this-offseason/

Bottom line for me is, even if Rick doesn't draft a defensive player, if RAC's defense stays healthy the Texans will have another top 10 defense.

As it always is. We just have more questions than I'd be comfortable with. And yes we should be good, I'm striving for great to make it that much easier on our presumably struggling offense

I am with you on this and therefor will be concentrating on safeties more so than ILBs. I think Bullough will be the Cush replacement when time comes. I think adding to Watt and Crick on the line with Wilfork and #16 Malcom Brown takes pressure off ILBs and safeties like Prewitt and Amos could be the ticket. I do have a combo LB in Jake Ryan that can cover and in 2012 as OLB he had 88 Ts, 16.5 for loss, 5 sacks with 2 hurries and 3 passes broken up and 5 forced fumbles.

I am with you on this and therefor will be concentrating on safeties more so than ILBs. I think Bullough will be the Cush replacement when time comes. I think adding to Watt and Crick on the line with Wilfork and #16 Malcom Brown takes pressure off ILBs and safeties like Prewitt and Amos could be the ticket. I do have a combo LB in Jake Ryan that can cover and in 2012 as OLB he had 88 Ts, 16.5 for loss, 5 sacks with 2 hurries and 3 passes broken up and 5 forced fumbles.

let's see, if our team can stay healthy and we use a 1/3rd of our draft picks (high ones at that), then we could have a good defense?

Gotcha kemosabe

why are we turning everythread into a draft thread again?

Let's see, suddenly we're counting on the one LB we used #1 overall pick to replace. Next to him we have one ILB that is an injured shell of his former self. Next to him at ILB we have who exactly? Let's not forget that last OLB who left via free agency. The defense ranked high thanks to JJ Watt and a half decent secondary. Our OLB couldn't get to the QB and our ILB couldn't cover anyone. So yeah that's donkey schlong.

Let's see, suddenly we're counting on the one LB we used #1 overall pick to replace. Next to him we have one ILB that is an injured shell of his former self. Next to him at ILB we have who exactly? Let's not forget that last OLB who left via free agency. The defense ranked high thanks to JJ Watt and a half decent secondary. Our OLB couldn't get to the QB and our ILB couldn't cover anyone. So yeah that's donkey schlong.

I guess if #7 and you don’t know their names equals donkey schlong.

I'm a LBer guy and your we have nothing deal is wrong.

This surprises me as I thought he played well as season progressed; not the old Cush but pretty darn good. He played 62 % of offensive plays which not great but better than I hoped. I knew he was hurting & not 100%.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...shing-has-had-three-surgeries-this-offseason/

I can understand people looking for signs to be optimistist, just like Cushing projecting same.
Texans linebacker Brian Cushing was healthier last season than he had been for the previous two years, but he was still dealing with plenty of injuries.

In fact, Cushing has already had three surgical procedures this offseason: One to repair a broken right wrist, one arthroscopic procedure on his left ankle and a procedure on the left knee that has plagued him for years.[Surgically going back into joints in previously injured joints, usually means that more cartilage is REMOVED, and if it's loose bone or cartilage chips, it more strongly heralds ongoing joint cartilage/damage loss.]

“It’s not uncommon for stuff like that to happen. It’s just little things here and there, the residual effects of two major surgeries and injuries, the wear and tear of playing throughout the season,” Cushing told the Houston Chronicle. “There were still some things bothering me a little bit. Just went in there and had real good success in both areas and looking forward to a very healthy and productive season. We have the technology and the doctors, especially in Houston, to do a simple, minor procedure like that.[that characteristically result in minor results] Go in, clean whatever needs to get out of there and just feel better.” [Again, "clean up" is synonymous with removal, and our joints are never better for it. It may temporarily decrease pain, but typically is a set up for continued erosion of the state of the joint..........not a return to normal.]
For your orientation, here is a diagram that basically fits the combination of injuries reported in Cushing's last injury..........a tibial plateau fracture accompanied by a fibula fracture and a complete collateral lateral ligament tear.

387W.jpg

Did I quote Doc?

It's sort of interesting to go back in time.....

Brian Cushing will be "100 percent" early in 2014

Posted Nov 12, 2013
Drew Dougherty

Three weeks to the day after knee surgery, Brian Cushing was out and about in Pearland. The Texans linebacker was taking part in a community event with First Community Credit Union at Glenda Dawson High School. Even though he was on crutches, he was very optimistic about returning to work early in 2014.

"I think January, February, I'll be a hundred percent," Cushing said.
"This is quite a different deal than last year."

Cushing tore the lateral cruciate ligament (LCL) and fractured the fibula in his left leg in the loss at Kansas City in Week 7. In Week 5 of 2012, he suffered a torn ACL in a win over the New York Jets. He detailed how his rehab is progressing.

"It's going really well," Cushing said. "Obviously, I had a pretty significant injury last year, too. I just feel like this is a lot less serious, and healing much faster. So that's a good sign."

........and these posts occurred November 15, 2013, shortly after it was announced that Cushing had sustained only a fibula fracture and a lateral collateral knee ligament tear.........I was quite on board and optimistic of his prognosis then.:

2slik4u said:

I think when healthy he is one of the best ILB's in the game. Problem is he has not played a full season for the past two years.

In his five year career he has only play two full seasons in which he posted great numbers and was an obvious elite play maker. When he is on the field he is an absolute monster. On the flip side when he is not on the field our defense is exposed in so many different ways.

With him blowing his knee out again I feel he will never be the same. I cant remember if its the same knee or other knee but Im just skeptical he will be the same player when he regains his health. I could be wrong and hopefully I am. Maybe CnD can weigh in on this.

Infantrycak said:

Yes I know it's unlikely that he will be the same player. They're doing amazing things with knee injuries these days though and you can't ask for a more dedicated rehabber than Cush. If it's possible he'll do it.

CnD has weighed in. This is not an ACL. It is a much more minor injury and Cushing can reasonably be expected to be ready in time for off-season activities.
CloakNNNdagger said:

This IS the same knee as his ACL. However, with an isolated LCL and fibula fracture, this would not be considered a "blow out of the knee." In fact, as I've written before, the prognosis is excellent to return to performance level he was able to attain post ACL prior to this recent injury. Following appropriate rehab, he should be good to go for OTAs and preseason........and back to full swing by next regular season. He will probably still show the lessened lateral movement as seemed to be what he lost secondary to the ACL injury........but I believe that anyone of us would accept that as part of the 80% performance return classically quoted in such an injury (ACL).

When his return kept on being delayed, I kept saying that there had to be some significant piece of information re. the injury that we didn't know about. It was "slipped," first by Deepi Sidhu [initially believed to be a mistake, but then confirmed by Drew Dougherty [when I said that this was no mistake and questioned his initial return timeline], and then other local news media that he had sustained a 3rd injury, a tibial plateau fracture......the worst of the 3. It was shortly thereafter that my prognosis took a severe about turn for his acute and long-term prognosis........and, of course, later it made sense in explaining the extraordinary length and the poor nature of his recovery last year.

let's see, if our team can stay healthy and we use a 1/3rd of our draft picks (high ones at that), then we could have a good defense?

Gotcha kemosabe

why are we turning everythread into a draft thread again?

Well JB it could be this thread included draft comments from the second post in this thread and was followed by several other comments about draft and Nix. You are also over reaching on the health of team comment as despite injuries 2014 this side of ball did pretty well and should do so again. The topic of this thread was Louis Nix & many made comments about his third round selection after giving up a pick to trade up plus his remaining in Florida rather than working out in Houston. I don't see Steel saying a healthier team and a good draft will give us a good defense but a better one. Isn't the purpose of the draft to improve team?

Well JB it could be this thread included draft comments from the second post in this thread and was followed by several other comments about draft and Nix. You are also over reaching on the health of team comment as despite injuries 2014 this side of ball did pretty well and should do so again. The topic of this thread was Louis Nix & many made comments about his third round selection after giving up a pick to trade up plus his remaining in Florida rather than working out in Houston. I don't see Steel saying a healthier team and a good draft will give us a good defense but a better one. Isn't the purpose of the draft to improve team?

Yes of course it is, and I apologize for my snarky post and appreciate you not calling me out on it. I just get frustrated because it seems our only answer for the Nix question is that it was yet another wasted pick.

I know we can get some starters for us in the draft to plug a few holes, I think though we wont be a solid team until we are drafting for depth and don't have to count on any (other than the first round pick) being a starter right away for us. I'd like to have the strength of team so that we could take a high pick and let him sit until the game slowed down for him.

Yes of course it is, and I apologize for my snarky post and appreciate you not calling me out on it. I just get frustrated because it seems our only answer for the Nix question is that it was yet another wasted pick.

I know we can get some starters for us in the draft to plug a few holes, I think though we wont be a solid team until we are drafting for depth and don't have to count on any (other than the first round pick) being a starter right away for us. I'd like to have the strength of team so that we could take a high pick and let him sit until the game slowed down for him.
I agree with you that we are much closer to BPA and my first round will be just that. All of us are frustrated by the last few seasons and the next step is the draft. Perhaps we pick up another FA soon after as teams look at their picks and start winnowing their rosters.

The team is coming together and getting younger which is good as a lot of our young guys are experienced. There is much to be optimistic about and Nix could very well be one.

My own take is the answer to the Nix question is Wilfork.

I figure Nix has two years to get his act together with Wilfork as mentor. He won't have a better chance than this to make it happen, all things considered. And in the meantime, we should see incremental improvements if his goal is to be a viable and starting NFL DT.

I figure Nix has two years to get his act together with Wilfork as mentor. He won't have a better chance than this to make it happen, all things considered. And in the meantime, we should see incremental improvements if his goal is to be a viable and starting NFL DT.

Whether Nix works out or not it was a good gamble . Some folks wanted him where we took X and we got him a round later .

I think , way back when , we decided that a good draft was hitting 40% . You have 7 picks you his 2 or 3 . It's beyond me why people give up on players after 1 season . Then if you cut him , and he prospers , what's going to be said ? Whacka mole fandom at it's best . :tvhorror:

I think the Nix/gamble and then Wilfork signing have been one (two?) of the brilliant moves of the O'Srien administration. (yeah that doesn't work). Nix was worth the gamble last year. Wanting to progress, Wilfork is an improvement player to find out whether Nix is his replacement or find someone with no pressure.

Replacing JJo, Myers and AJ are now much bigger issues than NT.

And for f'ckingschemecoachtalentsake can we find a TE?

I think the Nix/gamble and then Wilfork signing have been one (two?) of the brilliant moves of the O'Srien administration. (yeah that doesn't work). Nix was worth the gamble last year. Wanting to progress, Wilfork is an improvement player to find out whether Nix is his replacement or find someone with no pressure.

Replacing JJo, Myers and AJ are now much bigger issues than NT.

And for f'ckingschemecoachtalentsake can we find a TE?

I guess my questions still are:
1) If Shelton is there at #16 and the big 3 WR's are gone as well as the top 3-4 OLB's do they go for Shelton and forget about Nix?

2) If Shelton is there at #16 but 1 of the big 3 WR's or 1 of the better 3-4 OLB's are still there, then what?

As for the TE question, I don't think the answer is in this draft! It's been called a very weak draft for TE's. Maybe next year!

1) If Shelton is there at #16 and the big 3 WR's are gone as well as the top 3-4 OLB's do they go for Shelton and forget about Nix?

2) If Shelton is there at #16 but 1 of the big 3 WR's or 1 of the better 3-4 OLB's are still there, then what?

As for the TE question, I don't think the answer is in this draft! It's been called a very weak draft for TE's. Maybe next year!

I would be hard-pressed not to take Shelton if he was there and the big 3 WRs were NOT there. Now. If one of the good OLBs are available... hrm... at that point, I'm glad I'm not the GM because that's a hard choice right there.

If one of the WRs I covet are still on the board, however, I'm all over that.

Im not interested at sticking our #1 pick behind Vince Wilfork for 1-2 years. I am also not interested in designating Nix a lost cause.

So the answer is no, I do not take Shelton, even if the big 3 WRs are gone.

Look at the draft board and you take BPA.

Im not interested at sticking our #1 pick behind Vince Wilfork for 1-2 years. I am also not interested in designating Nix a lost cause.

So the answer is no, I do not take Shelton, even if the big 3 WRs are gone.

You do realize that Wilfork and Shelton can both play DE opposite JJ? (Not at the same time). In fact, my understanding is that Wilfork played more DE last season than NT.

The question will be is Shelton an upgrade over Crick as a Starter. You would have scheme flexibility with a DL of JJ, Wilfork, Shelton, Crick, Pagen, Nix. You could go with a heavy 4-3 or 3-4, a traditional 3-4 or 4-3. The only limiting factor being the LBs currently on the roster.

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew
Louis Nix, III said having Watt & Wilfork in Dline room is huge, they're great examples.

View photo

Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli
Louis Nix says he likes O'Brien's challenges and "I can prove a lot of you guys wrong too."

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Say what you want about Louis Nix. Totally different mind set this year. Exited to see him roll.

Louis Nix goal this year? “Make it through a practice.” #Texans

Louis Nix heard everything O’Brien said and is using it as motivation. #Texans

#Texans Louis Nix is here.

Brian T. Smith @ChronBrianSmith
Irish Chocolate remains. "Irish Chocolate is a lifestyle," Louis Nix said.

Louis Nix: "My goal this year is to make it through a practice."

Nix on O'Brien: "Bill is Bill. ... He does want to see me on the field." Said he loves a challenge.

Nix said he's healthy now.

Last edited:
SOTT: ROUGH ROOKIE SEASON NOT SLOWING DOWN LOUIS NIX

One of the hot topics coming into OTAs was the status of second-year nose tackle, Louis Nix. As a rookie, the expectations were high as the Texans traded up for him, but the results from that moment on were anything but that. Rumors swirled about his health, weight issues, and overall dedication to getting things in order so he could succeed in the NFL. Head Coach Bill O’Brien was vocal with his expectations for Nix and it was clear things could be better.

Nix takes what his head coach says and understands where he is coming from. “He (O’Brien) challenges everybody. Sometimes you guys make it more than what it is. Bill is Bill," said Nix. “He wants guys to be better. I take no offense to it. I understand Bill. Bill talks to me. I know he just wants me to do be the player that I can be. He sees potential and I see it in myself.”

Nix was clear that he and O’Brien have a good relationship, that the communication lines are open, and that he embraces the challenges his coach puts in front of him. “That motivates me, of course, because I do want to be the best player I can be. I like Bill when he challenges me. I love a challenge. I can prove a lot of you guys wrong, too.”

That new step started today for Nix when he arrived to OTAs today in great shape and, most importantly, back to playing football. “It feels good. I haven’t played football in a while, so I’m just happy to be back,” said Nix on his return to the field.

With a rookie season marred by a knee issue that took surgery to correct prior to training camp, Nix later suffered an elbow injury which ultimately landed him on the injured reserve three games into the 2014 season. “I learned a lot. Sometimes adversity hits and sometimes you just got to deal with it,” mentioned Nix on his rookie season struggles. “You got to keep moving forward. I struggled with things coming in, but now I feel a little bit more adjusted to everything.”

Expectations were high for Nix who was supposed to be the nose tackle of the future but that was put on hold with the injuries. Nix had to do some soul-searching, being in a different position than he was used to and watching from the sideline. “Coming in and you’re supposed to be this guy to possibly help the team win. If you were healthy, maybe you could have made a difference. Me not being able to play, I never felt that.” explained Nix on what it meant stepping into the NFL with the Texans “I got over that. A lot of guys encouraged me, family, friends, and everybody. I’m just trying to move forward, do better, and just keep improving.”

If today marked any change it was a positive one for Nix and the Texans. Nix moved well, looked more focused on the job at hand, and appeared interested in doing what he could to help his teammates win games. “My goal this year is to make it through a practice, man. That’s my goal,” said Nix. [Referencing O'Brien's pointed statements in March.]

He accomplished that today, now onto bigger and better things for Nix in 2015.

Wow ! I'm glad they decided to pull the trigger if he's this bad, and obviously he is if they decided to cut a third-round pick. and of coures unlike swag ( the S carolina who they cut) DB, Nix is a Billy draftee.
We'll see if they pulled the plug on Nix. He's a candidate for the PS if they haven't given up on his development.

Wow ! I'm glad they decided to pull the trigger if he's this bad, and obviously he is if they decided to cut a third-round pick. and of coures unlike swag ( the S carolina who they cut) DB, Nix is a Billy draftee.
I wouldn't count on any cut player making the practice squad, though roughly half should be asked due to Camp Knowledge. I suspect some will not make it past waivers and I fully expect RB/OL help from outside.

Thank you Royalty. I said from the get go that the Texans wasted a 4th and 5th rd pick to move up for Nix. I said before the draft that Nix had more games in college with 0 tackles than he had games with at least 1 tackle. View the Nix draft thread for all those who are fans of the "Men of Girth".

just sayin....

We'll see if they pulled the plug on Nix. He's a candidate for the PS if they haven't given up on his development.
If nobody picks Nix up, then he's even worse than we think he is right now. I mean if there's no interest on the waiver wire for Nix (a third round pick), Billy & Rick missed a country mile on Nix IMO.

If nobody picks Nix up, then he's even worse than we think he is right now. I mean if there's no interest on the waiver wire for Nix (a third round pick), Billy & Rick missed a country mile on Nix IMO.
I don't think teams claim developmental players off of waivers. At this point you are looking to upgrade your 53 roster. Nix has shown himself to need development. There's a good chance he will clear waivers. The question facing the franchise is whether he will devote himself to improvement. In other words, does he lack motivation to improve.

Actually Nix was the example used for O'Brien's displeasure with drafting players who football wasn't that important to them, prompting him to reset scouting department's priorities and building position-by-position requirements.
I'm happy with the fact that OB isn't playing games or favorites, ala Kubes. If you're not cutting it, you're getting cut. That's a huge wake up call for a lot of players.

Back