Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Louis Nix

I like Shelton a lot, but are we willing to spend a 1st round pick on a 2 down player?
What makes you think he's a two down player? He played in a pass happy conference and played regularly on third downs. And he had 9 1/2 sacks I believe. One of the reasons he is ranked so high by most is because of his ability to stay on the field all three downs and his versatility.

What makes you think he's a two down player? He played in a pass happy conference and played regularly on third downs. And he had 9 1/2 sacks I believe. One of the reasons he is ranked so high by most is because of his ability to stay on the field all three downs and his versatility.

9 sacks of which 6 came in the 1st 2 weeks - 2 v. Hawaii and 4 v. Eastern Washington.

But if folks are going to have a Shelton discussion, take it to the draft forum.

if folks are going to have a Shelton discussion, take it to the draft forum.

This is my fault. Apologies.

What do you guys think about Louis Nix, today? I've not always been on the wagon that thinks we desperately need a dominant 0 NT but having Wilfork is the best possible addition to help get the most out of Nix, but more importantly, to get the most out of the Texans Defense, in so many ways.

What do you guys think about Louis Nix, today? I've not always been on the wagon that thinks we desperately need a dominant 0 NT but having Wilfork is the best possible addition to help get the most out of Nix, but more importantly, to get the most out of the Texans Defense, in so many ways.

I get the feeling Nix hasn't grown up yet. He has an opportunity to show his employer he is willing to go above and beyond minimum requirements and he either doesn't understand the significance or isn't willing to do more than the minimum. But he wouldn't be the first to get it a couple of years after college, so here's to hoping he does.

He has good surroundings, but you know what they say about leading a horse to water but not being able to make them drink.

I get the feeling Nix hasn't grown up yet. He has an opportunity to show his employer he is willing to go above and beyond minimum requirements and he either doesn't understand the significance or isn't willing to do more than the minimum. But he wouldn't be the first to get it a couple of years after college, so here's to hoping he does.

He has good surroundings, but you know what they say about leading a horse to water but not being able to make them drink.
Not taking a position one way or the other on this, but I'm curious exactly why many on this board feel this way? The fact he is staying in Florida for his rehab rather than moving to Houston? The fact he is not posting on the social networks, informing everyone of his progress? The fact that OB doesn't have anything positive to report? As far as I know, no one has any idea of his progress or his off season training. I guess my position is one of cautious neutrality until the first mandatory reporting date gives us the opportunity to actually see what kind if condition he is in.

You can discuss restaurants and whose barbque is best.

If nix ever gets his act together our base 4-3 would be nuts

Jj watt nix wilfork ????? Pagen crick browner

are your sources saying we are changing from a 3-4 to a 4-3 or are you simply confused?

well NE runs pretty much everything depending on who they are playing or what qtr it is really

2-5
3-4
4-3
5-2

so I'd figure we would do the same

If nix ever gets his act together our base 4-3 would be nuts

Jj watt nix wilfork ????? Pagen crick browner

well NE runs pretty much everything depending on who they are playing or what qtr it is really

2-5
3-4
4-3
5-2

so I'd figure we would do the same

base 4-3 means we are predominately a 4-3 defense Seegara

:shoot:

are your sources saying we are changing from a 3-4 to a 4-3 or are you simply confused?

According to BoB, we ran our base 3-4 around 20 something % of the time, he said we were in a 4-3 look much more often. (I got this from his interview at the owners meetings)

I think there is some confusion here. Base doesn't only refer to 3 down. Base and 3-4 are independent. We run a ton of 3 down non-base for instance when we run 3 safeties.

Yes, I find the media/public confusion on 4-3 / 3-4 to be infuriating as well.

You aren't really in a "4-3" formation unless you have four down linemen and 3 stand-up linebackers on the field.

You aren't really in a "3-4" formation unless you have three down linemen and 4 stand-up linebackers on the field.

I don't think it's often, if ever, that the Texans (or any 3-4 team) come out in base 3-4 personnel and, instead of just blitzing a stand-up LB, create a true 4 down lineman front with DE/NT/DE/OLB, then play OLB/ILB/ILB in coverage.

You're far more likely to see 4 down linemen, 2 stand-up linebackers, and 5 defensive backs (2 corners / 3 safeties, or 3 corners / 2 safeties). This is not a "4-3 look." It's nickel. Which looks the same whether you're a base 3-4 team or a base 4-3 team.

And because this is a passing league, we, like every other team, play a lot of nickel.

According to BoB, we ran our base 3-4 around 20 something % of the time, he said we were in a 4-3 look much more often. (I got this from his interview at the owners meetings)

I don't know that we were ever in a 4-3 look. We've used plenty of four man fronts, & most likely that's what OB said.

But we usually go to a 4 man front in passing situations but we'll be in nickel or dime... two or one LB on the field.

I don't know that we were ever in a 4-3 look. We've used plenty of four man fronts, & most likely that's what OB said.

But we usually go to a 4 man front in passing situations but we'll be in nickel or dime... two or one LB on the field.

If nix got his shot together I wouldn't mind running some 43. But we don't really have the lbs for it.

we don't need linebackers this is the new NFL we need more CB's and S

Now, I'm scared. I actually agree with this, at least for the ILB spot.

Up until last year, I'd been banging the table for an ILB upgrade to pair with Cushing. But after listening to OB and RAC over this past season, I'm not so sure that ILB is a very prized position for them. In passing situations, they're going to rush 4-5 guys and then drop a SS like Swearinger into the box.

we don't need linebackers this is the new NFL we need more CB's and S

Up until last year, I'd been banging the table for an ILB upgrade to pair with Cushing. But after listening to OB and RAC over this past season, I'm not so sure that ILB is a very prized position for them. In passing situations, they're going to rush 4-5 guys and then drop a SS like Swearinger into the box.

Now, I'm terrified, but this is very close to the truth. A solid thumper in the middle will still be needed, but he'll have to be quick and agile

We've been doing that since Wade.

We've been doing that since Wade.

I know that but I've still wanted to upgrade the ILB position. I've now come to the conclusion that the #2 ILB in this scheme is just a low-priority position that's not going to be addressed with even a mid-round draft choice or a moderate-level FA signing.

I know that but I've still wanted to upgrade the ILB position. I've now come to the conclusion that the #2 ILB in this scheme is just a low-priority position that's not going to be addressed with even a mid-round draft choice or a moderate-level FA signing.

Different regime but that's part of the reason demeco was traded. The main problem at ilb isn't robin. It's batman.

At this point I don't care what you call the position but we need someone next to Cushing that is fast enough to cover TEs and RBs and is solid against the run. In my mind, that's a quick ILB. But if you've got a SS that can do it, bring him in.

At this point I don't care what you call the position but we need someone next to Cushing that is fast enough to cover TEs and RBs and is solid against the run. In my mind, that's a quick ILB. But if you've got a SS that can do it, bring him in.

If we need an ILB that can do all that, what does the other ILB do?

In the TT mock I would have considered taking Bud over Ray and the Clemson ILB instead of who we took because of this issue .

In the TT mock I would have considered taking Bud over Ray and the Clemson ILB instead of who we took because of this issue .
I think Blake made the right call on Perriman in the 2nd. He will score more points than Anthony will stop. The Texans would be very fortunate to get a WR like Perriman that late.

Where I've ended up on Nix is strange. I was very meh on the pick, and not crazy about using 2 picks to move up. I was blasted by plenty for not believing the Texans had a 1st round steal in the 3rd. Now, I'm one of the few that still think Nix could still provide some value. At least I want to see him on the field healthy before making a judgement, rather than reading his twitter page. It's just weird.

Any truth that Bob will cut Nix? Im a little disconnected getting back into town and Im not sure where I heard it.

We can agree to disagree. We have no ILB or OLB for either scheme.

We are absolutely more suited to run a 34 at this point in time. It's really not about agreeing or disagreeing. That's just what it is. Doesn't mean that the LB's are good, but with the guys we we are definitely more geared towards a 34.

Like I said, I don't care if it's an ILB or a SS.

But if it's an ILB it'll mainly to groom somebody to take Cushing's place. I don't think Cush has more than 2-3 good, solid years left. So, like J-Jo, it's time to start preparing for life without him. I'm not banging the table to spend a high pick on this guy, but if there's an opportunity to upgrade the #2 ILB in round 3, I'd pull the trigger.

We are absolutely more suited to run a 34 at this point in time. It's really not about agreeing or disagreeing. That's just what it is. Doesn't mean that the LB's are good, but with the guys we we are definitely more geared towards a 34.

Regardless of how you look at it we need 3 LBs.
In a 3-4 we need 2 ILB and 1 OLB, the only hold over being Mercilus who could be a 4-3 DE.
4-3 we still need 3 LBs.

Again, agree to disagree. Just because you can throw a body out on the field it doesn't make them a LB.

But if it's an ILB it'll mainly to groom somebody to take Cushing's place. I don't think Cush has more than 2-3 good, solid years left. So, like J-Jo, it's time to start preparing for life without him. I'm not banging the table to spend a high pick on this guy, but if there's an opportunity to upgrade the #2 ILB in round 3, I'd pull the trigger.

I agree with you. I'm all for getting his replacement in ASAP. Contract wise we have him ~2 years. Play wise I think it's way less. I'd question anyone's sanity that wants to go into the season counting on Cushing to be productive. I think LB is our most pressing need on defense.

i don't know about that. If we ever had a healthy Demeco & Cushing i doubt we'd have seen as many nickel & dime packages... All the other LBs we've gotten since appear to be one trick down hill ponies... That may very well be by design. But I'm not convinced ywt.

Regardless of how you look at it we need 3 LBs.
In a 3-4 we need 2 ILB and 1 OLB, the only hold over being Mercilus who could be a 4-3 DE.
4-3 we still need 3 LBs.

Again, agree to disagree. Just because you can throw a body out on the field it doesn't make them a LB.

Again, it's not about agreeing to disagree on this.

This team is currently more suited to run a 3-4 vs a 4-3.

I don't know that we need three LB's. I wouldn't get my hopes up with that because you may being seeing just one new starting LB next year.

I'd be looking for a #1 ILB rather than a #2 or #3. Keep in mind that the tibial plateau fracture that he sustained in his last injury by definition is a fracture that goes through the tibial cartilage surface, usually causing cartilage damage beyond the immediate site of fracture.

tpf_classification_schatzker05.png

In fact, especially in cases of tibial plateau fractures that are displaced and require surgery, it is not uncommon for there to be associated overlying meniscus damage at the separation site.

images

I hope this does not happen, but do not be surprised if after a few games, Cushing's knee begins swelling again and giving him problems......with the next words we hear being "microfracture surgery."

Back