Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

JJ Watt - MVP

From Sean in some ESPN FB debate...

Only 9 players in NFL history have had 20+ sack seasons. And Watt is the ONLY player in NFL history to have two 20+ sack seasons. He leads the league in QB hurries, QB hits, tackles for a loss and fumble recoveries. He's also the 1st defensive lineman to have 5 TDs in a season since the mid 1940's.

I like Rodgers... But what has he done this season that has never happened in the NFL? The answer is nothing. What has he done that hasn't been seen since they wore leather helmets? nothing... How many stats does he lead the league in? The answer is ONE. TD/INT rate... that's it... That is the argument for Rodgers.

To which the witty response would be that Rodgers' team has won 12 games. Sigh

From Sean in some ESPN FB debate...

Only 9 players in NFL history have had 20+ sack seasons. And Watt is the ONLY player in NFL history to have two 20+ sack seasons. He leads the league in QB hurries, QB hits, tackles for a loss and fumble recoveries. He's also the 1st defensive lineman to have 5 TDs in a season since the mid 1940's.

I like Rodgers... But what has he done this season that has never happened in the NFL? The answer is nothing. What has he done that hasn't been seen since they wore leather helmets? nothing... How many stats does he lead the league in? The answer is ONE. TD/INT rate... that's it... That is the argument for Rodgers.

To which the witty response would be that Rodgers' team has won 12 games. Sigh

Yup. Sports fans are ****ing stupid.

What can we as fans do to help campaign for Watt?

When is the award declared?

Adding a safety and another FR to his stat list today and our season going to 9-7 being a Browns/Ravens game away from the playoffs puts Watt as the MVP to me. The Texans probably only get 3 to 4 wins if it isn't for Watt.

you do know that Adrian Peterson won in 2012? So others besides qb can win

Yes i know, only because he had just came off an ACL tear. If not for the injury and then the season i doubt he wins even though he was like 40 yards away from breaking the all time single season rushing record.

Yes i know, only because he had just came off an ACL tear. If not for the injury and then the season i doubt he wins even though he was like 40 yards away from breaking the all time single season rushing record.

umm ok. You're entitled to your belief

To be fair Peterson also dragged a team with no QB to the playoffs.

umm ok. You're entitled to your belief

I mean we will never know, just my opinion. I mean Watt has had one of the most amazing seasons of a DE/DT, and yet the odds are still stacked against him.

And in general it is hard for a defensive player to win the award, not much glamour playing defense versus offense.

I mean we will never know, just my opinion. I mean Watt has had one of the most amazing seasons of a DE/DT, and yet the odds are still stacked against him.

And in general it is hard for a defensive player to win the award, not much glamour playing defense versus offense.

yeah I agree with you. Just wanted to point that out. The thing Watt has going for him is that he has done something unique. Also, 5 or 6 QB's could be said to have had MVP type seasons this year

There's plenty of glamour playing defense. There's a reason JJ Watt is all over the place.

No there is not plenty of Glamour, i can name a hand full of Defensive players who make it that way. Rare compared to all the Bradys, Manning, Fosters, Murrays, Calvin Johnsons, Rob G, etc etc

The stats and scoring is what makes it glamorous.

Okay fine. You think there's no glamour and I'll continue to watch JJ Watt in commercials, episodes of TV shows, and various other non-sports media outlets.

That's just how special Watt's been, to be honest.

Okay fine. You think there's no glamour and I'll continue to watch JJ Watt in commercials, episodes of TV shows, and various other non-sports media outlets.

Few defensive players make that leap. We've seen Rey Lewis, Clay Matthews, and JJ do it. I honestly cannot think of another defensive player going nationwide.

Few defensive players make that leap. We've seen Rey Lewis, Clay Matthews, and JJ do it. I honestly cannot think of another defensive player going nationwide.

Richard Sherman is coming on a bit. Another Super Bowl and he will be everywhere.

So... any chance Tony Romo actually wins the MVP? Ugh

That award should go to the Cowboys offensive line and DeMarco for making his job 1000x easier

I said there is a handful of D players, it is still an offensive driven league. Watt is an incredible athlete, and he should be MVP, and the fact that there is even any doubt shows how biased this league is towards offensive and defensive players.

Richard Sherman is coming on a bit. Another Super Bowl and he will be everywhere.

Good call! I spaced on him.

The more I think about this, it's really sad. defense gets hardly any love.

Revis has that footlocker commercial a few years ago.

So... any chance Tony Romo actually wins the MVP? Ugh

That award should go to the Cowboys offensive line and DeMarco for making his job 1000x easier

I think Romo and Murray cancel each other out. You're right about their OL though. They're the main cog.

Rodgers is back. Not mobile at all.

Yeah, the no playoffs thing will probably hurt him, especially if Romo or Rogers takes their respective teams deep into the playoffs. No doubt he will get some votes but getting the team into the playoffs will have locked him in for MVP, now it will take collapses in the post season by Romo, Murray and Rogers to get Watt the award.

A shame but with awards like this those are the breaks.

Hub Arkush, Pro Football Weekly*— Email: harkush@pfwmedia.com; Twitter:*@Hub_Arkush

Howard Balzer, USA TODAY*— Email: HBalzer@aol.com; Twitter:*@HBalzer721

Don Banks, Sports Illustrated*— Twitter:*@DonBanks

Jarrett Bell, USA Today*— Email: jbell@usatoday.com; Twitter:*@JarrettBell

Chris Berman, ESPN

Clifton Brown, Comcast Sports Net*— Twitter:@CliftonBrownCSN

Rich Cimini, ESPN —*Twitter:*@RichCimini

John Clayton, ESPN*— Twitter:*@ClaytonESPN

Steve Cohen, Sirius Satellite Radio

Cris Collinsworth, NBC*— Twitter:*@CollinsworthNBC

Frank Cooney, The SportsXchange*— Email: fcooney@sportsxchange.com

Jim Corbett, USA Today*— Twitter:*@ByJimCorbett

Bob Costas, NBC

Mark Craig, Minneapolis Star Tribune*— Email: mcraig@startribune.com; Twitter:*@markcraignfl

Tom Curran, Comcast Sports Net*— Email: tcurran@comcastsportsnet.com; Twitter:*@tomecurran

John Czarnecki, Fox Sports*Contact:*http://msn.foxsports.com/writer/John_Czarnecki

Paul Domowitch, Philadelphia Daily News*— Email: pdomo@aol.com; Twitter:*@pdomo

Tony Dungy, NBC*— Twitter:*@TonyDungy

Boomer Esiason, CBS*— Twitter:*@7BOOMERESIASON

Ashley Fox, ESPN*— Twitter:*@AshleyMFox

Mark Gaughan, Buffalo News*— Email: mgaughan@buffnews.com; Twitter:*@gggaughan

Rich Gannon, CBS Sports, SiriusXM*— Twitter:@RichGannon12

Mike Garafolo, Fox Sports 1*— Twitter:*@MikeGarafolo

Nancy Gay, Comcast Sports Net*— Twitter:*@nancygay

Bob Glauber, Newsday*— Email: bob.glauber@newsday.com; Twitter:*@BobGlauber

Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News*— Email: rgosselin@dallasnews.com; Twitter:@RickGosselinDMN

Paul Gutierrez, ESPN*— Twitter:*@PGutierrezESPN

Sean Jensen*— Email: sjensen@suntimes.com; Twitter:@seankjensen

Clark Judge, CBS Sports*— Contact:*http://www.cbssports.com/columns/writers/judge; Twitter:@ClarkJudgeCBS

Ira Kaufman, Tampa Tribune*— Email: ikaufman@tampatrib.com; Twitter:*@IKaufmanTBO

Peter King, Sports Illustrated*— Twitter:*@SI_PeterKing

Pat Kirwan, CBS Sports, SiriusXM*— Twitter:@PatKirwanCBS

Jeff Legwold, ESPN*— Email: jlegwold@denverpost.com; Twitter:*@Jeff_Legwold

John Lynch, Fox Sports*— Contact:*http://msn.foxsports.com/writer/John_Lynch

Alex Marvez, FOX Sports 1*— Contact:*http://msn.foxsports.com/writer/Alex-Marvez-FOXSports.com-Senior-NFL-Writer?authorId=309; Twitter:*@alexmarvez

John McClain, Houston Chronicle*— Email: john.mcclain@chron.com; Twitter:*@McLain_on_NFL

Pat McManamon, ESPN*— Twitter:*@PatMcManamon

Chris Mortensen, ESPN*— Twitter:*@mortreport

Gary Myers, New York Daily News*— Email: gmyers@nydailynews.com; Twitter:*@garymyersNYDN

Danny O’Neil, Seattle Times*— Email: doneil@seattletimes.com; Twitter:*@dannyoneil

Dan Pompei, Bleacher Report*— Email: dpompei@tribune.com; Twitter:*@danpompei

Pete Prisco, CBS Sports*— Contact:*http://www.cbssports.com/columns/writers/prisco; Twitter:@priscoCBS

Tim Ryan, FOX Sports*— Twitter:*@TimRyan99

Armando Salguero, Miami Herald*— Email: asalguero@miamiherald.com; Twitter:@ArmandoSalguero

Adam Schein, Sirius NFL Radio*— Twitter:@AdamSchein

Shannon Sharpe, CBS Sports*— Twitter:@ShannonSharpe

Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel*— Email: tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com; Twitter:@TomSilverstein

Adam Teicher, ESPN*— Twitter:*@adamteicher

Mike Tirico, ESPN*— Twitter:*@miketirico

Charean Williams, Fort Worth Star-Telegram*— Email: cjwilliams@star-telegram.com; Twitter:*@NFLCharean

In 2013, it was February 1. So there's ~a month.

Is that when they award it? Gotta make a move before they vote for it.

I suggest "WATT BOMBING" high traffic sites like profootballtalk. Sculpt all photos on this site to WATT pics. Buy a full page add in the chronicle like kubes did on his way out.

And...

Use the list above. "WATT BOMB" These Twitter accounts and emails a few hundred times a day till they get the hint.

Somebody ought to send each of them a gladlock bag. Inside they'd find a pic off JJ that says "You just got sacked. Dont waste your MVP vote on average. "

Yeah, the no playoffs thing will probably hurt him, especially if Romo or Rogers takes their respective teams deep into the playoffs. No doubt he will get some votes but getting the team into the playoffs will have locked him in for MVP, now it will take collapses in the post season by Romo, Murray and Rogers to get Watt the award.

The voting takes place before the post season starts

The MVP is a regular season award.

I look at the voter list and I don't see a lot of love coming JJ's way. He could get a ton of 2nd pkace votes, though. If Rodgers, Brady, and Romo split up the 1st place votes that could get Watt over the top.

I look at the voter list and I don't see a lot of love coming JJ's way. He could get a ton of 2nd pkace votes, though. If Rodgers, Brady, and Romo split up the 1st place votes that could get Watt over the top.

There are no second place votes. Only one name per voter.

I think it comes down to Rodgers getting first place and Watt being 2nd. Kind of sad though, because the team records are what are making the votes here. Take Watt off of this team this year and we are a 3 win team.

NFL MVP is only one vote. The writers only get to vote for one person. No first or second place votes

Someone send all the voters an essay on the Theory of Scarcity, so they might begin to understand the concept of value.

I don't think it works that way: I believe each voter has one pick only, no 2nd or 3rd place choices.

https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/status/549350377947025408

J.J. Watt's final 2014 #s: 78 tackles, 20.5 sacks, 29 TFL, 50 QB hits, 4 FF, 5 FR, 10 PD, 1 INT, 1 safety, 3 receiving TDs, 5 TDs, 32 points

And don't forget the sack that doesn't show up in the numbers on Flacco on that 2pt conversion attempt last week, and don't forget the situations in which some of those numbers came, like sacking Flacco on 4th down to seal the win, the safety today to put us up 6 and get the ball back, the attempted comeback against the Colts in a game we would have won if we didn't spot them 10 points to begin with, etc. And don't forget all the things that don't show up in the stat line at all where he got pressure or drew the opponents a certain way, forcing the QB or RB or whoever to make a decision that ended up in a turnover or a sailed pass.

Hub Arkush, Pro Football Weekly*— Email: harkush@pfwmedia.com; Twitter:*@Hub_Arkush

Howard Balzer, USA TODAY*— Email: HBalzer@aol.com; Twitter:*@HBalzer721

Don Banks, Sports Illustrated*— Twitter:*@DonBanks

Jarrett Bell, USA Today*— Email: jbell@usatoday.com; Twitter:*@JarrettBell

Chris Berman, ESPN

Clifton Brown, Comcast Sports Net*— Twitter:@CliftonBrownCSN

Rich Cimini, ESPN —*Twitter:*@RichCimini

John Clayton, ESPN*— Twitter:*@ClaytonESPN

Steve Cohen, Sirius Satellite Radio

Cris Collinsworth, NBC*— Twitter:*@CollinsworthNBC

Frank Cooney, The SportsXchange*— Email: fcooney@sportsxchange.com

Jim Corbett, USA Today*— Twitter:*@ByJimCorbett

Bob Costas, NBC

Mark Craig, Minneapolis Star Tribune*— Email: mcraig@startribune.com; Twitter:*@markcraignfl

Tom Curran, Comcast Sports Net*— Email: tcurran@comcastsportsnet.com; Twitter:*@tomecurran

John Czarnecki, Fox Sports*Contact:*http://msn.foxsports.com/writer/John_Czarnecki

Paul Domowitch, Philadelphia Daily News*— Email: pdomo@aol.com; Twitter:*@pdomo

Tony Dungy, NBC*— Twitter:*@TonyDungy

Boomer Esiason, CBS*— Twitter:*@7BOOMERESIASON

Ashley Fox, ESPN*— Twitter:*@AshleyMFox

Mark Gaughan, Buffalo News*— Email: mgaughan@buffnews.com; Twitter:*@gggaughan

Rich Gannon, CBS Sports, SiriusXM*— Twitter:@RichGannon12

Mike Garafolo, Fox Sports 1*— Twitter:*@MikeGarafolo

Nancy Gay, Comcast Sports Net*— Twitter:*@nancygay

Bob Glauber, Newsday*— Email: bob.glauber@newsday.com; Twitter:*@BobGlauber

Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News*— Email: rgosselin@dallasnews.com; Twitter:@RickGosselinDMN

Paul Gutierrez, ESPN*— Twitter:*@PGutierrezESPN

Sean Jensen*— Email: sjensen@suntimes.com; Twitter:@seankjensen

Clark Judge, CBS Sports*— Contact:*http://www.cbssports.com/columns/writers/judge; Twitter:@ClarkJudgeCBS

Ira Kaufman, Tampa Tribune*— Email: ikaufman@tampatrib.com; Twitter:*@IKaufmanTBO

Peter King, Sports Illustrated*— Twitter:*@SI_PeterKing

Pat Kirwan, CBS Sports, SiriusXM*— Twitter:@PatKirwanCBS

Jeff Legwold, ESPN*— Email: jlegwold@denverpost.com; Twitter:*@Jeff_Legwold

John Lynch, Fox Sports*— Contact:*http://msn.foxsports.com/writer/John_Lynch

Alex Marvez, FOX Sports 1*— Contact:*http://msn.foxsports.com/writer/Alex-Marvez-FOXSports.com-Senior-NFL-Writer?authorId=309; Twitter:*@alexmarvez

John McClain, Houston Chronicle*— Email: john.mcclain@chron.com; Twitter:*@McLain_on_NFL

Pat McManamon, ESPN*— Twitter:*@PatMcManamon

Chris Mortensen, ESPN*— Twitter:*@mortreport

Gary Myers, New York Daily News*— Email: gmyers@nydailynews.com; Twitter:*@garymyersNYDN

Danny O’Neil, Seattle Times*— Email: doneil@seattletimes.com; Twitter:*@dannyoneil

Dan Pompei, Bleacher Report*— Email: dpompei@tribune.com; Twitter:*@danpompei

Pete Prisco, CBS Sports*— Contact:*http://www.cbssports.com/columns/writers/prisco; Twitter:@priscoCBS

Tim Ryan, FOX Sports*— Twitter:*@TimRyan99

Armando Salguero, Miami Herald*— Email: asalguero@miamiherald.com; Twitter:@ArmandoSalguero

Adam Schein, Sirius NFL Radio*— Twitter:@AdamSchein

Shannon Sharpe, CBS Sports*— Twitter:@ShannonSharpe

Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel*— Email: tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com; Twitter:@TomSilverstein

Adam Teicher, ESPN*— Twitter:*@adamteicher

Mike Tirico, ESPN*— Twitter:*@miketirico

Charean Williams, Fort Worth Star-Telegram*— Email: cjwilliams@star-telegram.com; Twitter:*@NFLCharean

Is that when they award it? Gotta make a move before they vote for it.

I suggest "WATT BOMBING" high traffic sites like profootballtalk. Sculpt all photos on this site to WATT pics. Buy a full page add in the chronicle like kubes did on his way out.

And...

Use the list above. "WATT BOMB" These Twitter accounts and emails a few hundred times a day till they get the hint.

Somebody ought to send each of them a gladlock bag. Inside they'd find a pic off JJ that says "You just got sacked. Dont waste your MVP vote on average. "

No steam on this? I guess you guys are content watching some POS qb like Rodgers who's only true feat this year was his td/int ratio win? Maybe Brady who's playing with a HOF coach and more probowlers. It's not even his best season. Surely you dont want some candy ass like Romo winning? Congrats, for all the comebacks but what it really means is you didn't do **** earlier in the game. Not to mention his line, dez, and Murray are all well above average. JJ did it without a single probowler on his side of the ball.

Ive watched football for 30+ years and ive seen defensive players have better games then JJ's. But ive never seen a defensive player with a better season then JJ's. I watched a better qb just last year (manning) then anybody in the running this year.

One of the guys on the post game show on 610 summed it pretty well. If JJ does not win the MVP this year,then a defensive player will never again win it.

Back