Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

JJ Watt - MVP

There's some fools saying Justin Houston should win MVP a because he got 22 sacks. Why is that so funny to me?!?

Generally I don't have a problem at all with the MVP mainly being a QB award. I think it should go to the QB's the majority of the time. Typically there are two or three that are very deserving and create the biggest impact more than any other position. I don't think there is hardly ever a time where a RB should get it honestly. I didn't think that AP should have gotten it a few years ago.

This year though, Watt just took games over and we won several close games due to the big plays that Watt had throughout the game. Getting a 20 sack season is huge, but quite possibly leading the league in QB hurries is maybe even better especially when you combine the two. Then when you add all of the FR's and FF's and the swats that turned into TO's and now a safety, his defensive impact was the biggest I've ever seen only to rival Ray Lewis's season when they won the SB with strictly defense in 2001. Watt going in and catching TD's in close games is another factor in itself.

The guy is the MVP. He just is.

One of the guys on the post game show on 610 summed it pretty well. If JJ does not win the MVP this year,then a defensive player will never again win it.

If Watt doesn't win then just stop giving out awards because they won't mean jack.

Well, with morons like this guy influencing people just because he works at "Football Outsiders" peddling stupid nonsense like

it's no wonder that narratives that place QBs above everyone else no matter what take hold amongst the NFL fans.

https://twitter.com/FO_ScottKacsmar/status/549321236724318209

Had to respond to that id!ot

JB ‏@TexanJB 1h1 hour ago
@FO_ScottKacsmar
how many QB's have had a season equal or better than Rodgers this year?

@FO_ScottKacsmar
How many defenders in history have done what Watt has done this year?

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 1h1 hour ago
@TexanJB And look how far it got them.

@FO_ScottKacsmar It's supposed to be outstanding player, not team

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 1h1 hour ago
@TexanJB V for valuable, not an O for outstanding. It's Rodgers' now I'm sure.

JB ‏@TexanJB 6m6 minutes ago
@FO_ScottKacsmar So if the name of the award was still Player of the Year, you'd give it to Watt?

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 5m5 minutes ago
@TexanJB Possibly.

Seems pretty asinine to me... :swatter:

From Sean in some ESPN FB debate...

Only 9 players in NFL history have had 20+ sack seasons. And Watt is the ONLY player in NFL history to have two 20+ sack seasons. He leads the league in QB hurries, QB hits, tackles for a loss and fumble recoveries. He's also the 1st defensive lineman to have 5 TDs in a season since the mid 1940's.

I like Rodgers... But what has he done this season that has never happened in the NFL? The answer is nothing. What has he done that hasn't been seen since they wore leather helmets? nothing... How many stats does he lead the league in? The answer is ONE. TD/INT rate... that's it... That is the argument for Rodgers.

To which the witty response would be that Rodgers' team has won 12 games. Sigh

Show him this jb

Plus safety,blocked field goal and what 10 pass defends?

One of the guys on the post game show on 610 summed it pretty well. If JJ does not win the MVP this year,then a defensive player will never again win it.

If Watt doesn't win MVP, the NFL needs to simply change the award to "Best QB or RB on Playoff Team". If a defender has one of the best seasons EVER by a defensive player, but still can't get MVP, then what's the point of making defenders eligible for the award?

Had to respond to that id!ot

Scott's not really an id!ot, he's just bought into FO's convoluted metrics.

He's a waste of time because he doesn't have a vote or influence on the 50...

But you could respond:
Watt has to be accounted for on every single play(1,000+). Every offensive coordinator has stated as such.

Rodgers turns around and hands the ball off 45% of the time, nearly 400 snaps.​

I like Rodgers... But what has he done this season that has never happened in the NFL? The answer is nothing.... How many stats does he lead the league in? The answer is ONE. TD/INT rate... that's it... That is the argument for Rodgers.
Rodgers isn't even top 2 in TD passes and has 66% more turnovers than Alex Smith. 2013's MVP had 55 TDs, ARod has 36. Heck, he had 43 TDs in 2012.

It will be clearly obvious to me that if JJ doesn't win the award, it'd be because of a hack job by North Korea to help out their boy Aaron Rodgers....Ol' Discount Double Check always struck me as a commie POS.

if the writers don't vote J.J.Watt as MVP they will all be excommunicated
pop.gif

He won't get it simply because of where the Texans and Packers finished in the standings. A real shame.

It's JJ Watt's fault that Cleveland lost to Baltimore.

I think we all realize that. The problem is, Watt is a werewolf, and Roger Goodell is a blood sucking cowardly vampire and won't let him have the MVP or else the universe will be destroyed.

The MVP is the Heisman Trophy of the NFL and the last time a defensive player won that, was Charles Woodson and only because he returned punts and kicks...

as much as he deserves it, and he damn sure does, Watt will not be allowed to win the MVP. He could have broken the sack record today, and they still would find an excuse, and it sucks...

but what doesn't suck, it he is on OUR team...

Someone send all the voters an essay on the Theory of Scarcity, so they might begin to understand the concept of value.

You will lose most of the voters with the title alone. The voters are proving to be ... challenged intellects... for the most part.

Hello again classy Texans fans!

I just want to say that from an long time football fans (Love my Colts) perspective....

You have the greatest and most complete D-line player that has EVER played the sport in Watt

His stats are awesome, but think what they would be if he didn't get a double team on EVERY play (and maybe held a play or two) :)

Colts fan...... Jealous .....

I hope you find a QB

Have a great draft! (The Colts will have tough going, as we have many holes to fill this offseason)

Later

If JJ doesn't win MVP this year, then no defensive player will
ever win it again.

They should just rename the damned award "skills player
of the year"

JJ has done _historic_ things this year.

Did DiscountDoubleCheck break any historic QB records in 2014?
Because if he did, I sure didn't hear about it..

Neither did PapaJohns..

ever win it again.

They should just renamed the damned award "skills player
of the year"

I was thinking keep the MVP award and make a new one called, the Most Valuable Quarterback award.

Scott's not really an id!ot, he's just bought into FO's convoluted metrics.

He's a waste of time because he doesn't have a vote or influence on the 50...

But you could respond:
Watt has to be accounted for on every single play(1,000+). Every offensive coordinator has stated as such.

Rodgers turns around and hands the ball off 45% of the time, nearly 400 snaps.​

Rodgers isn't even top 2 in TD passes and has 66% more turnovers than Alex Smith. 2013's MVP had 55 TDs, ARod has 36. Heck, he had 43 TDs in 2012.

The bolded is irrefutable. There is no comeback for that.
Name any QB you want, they all hand the ball off at least a quarter of the time. Most much more than that.
There's no one else on the Texans' defense that commands the attention and respect that Watt does.

ever win it again.

They should just rename the damned award "skills player
of the year"

JJ has done _historic_ things this year.

Because if he did, I sure didn't hear about it..

Neither did PapaJohns..

When was the last time an MVP award was given to a player whose team didn't make the playoffs? I honestly think JJ would have won it if we snuck in.

Think back to the beginning of the year..

Talking heads were saying how JJ would struggle to find a place
in RAC's system.. Meanwhile, DiscountDC and PapaJohns were
prohibitive superbowl favorites.

What adversity did either of these two QB's face?

JJ was a prime reason the Texans became only the second team
in 16-game-season history to go from 2 wins to winning season.

And he did that with a new coaching staff and new scheme!

That's a hell of an accomplishment!

Playoffs can't be the metric for MVP --
Take JJ off the Texans and they win only half of those games.
Take DiscountDC and PapaJohns off their teams and they win half
as well.

Who's the MVP candidate on the Panthers? They're a 4-seed.

If the QB position is so damned valuable, then no one can argue that
JJ isn't deserving because he had a team that started 4 different
guys at that position.

_success in the face of adversity_

Because if he did, I sure didn't hear about it.

QB A - 4,381 yards, 65.6% compl. 38/5 TD/INT, 8.4 Y/A, 112.2 QBR

QB B -4,643 yards, 68.3% compl. 45/6 TD/INT, 9.2 Y/A, 122.5 QBR

QB C - 4,770 yards, 67.9% compl. 29/15 TD/INT, 8.2 Y/A 98.6 Total QBR

QB A (2014 Aaron Rodgers), whose TD/INT ratio is outstanding, no doubt, has fewer yards, a lower completion percentage, nearly the same Y/A as QB C and lower than QB B, and has a QB rating right inbetween both QBs B and C.

QB B is 2011 MVP Aaron Rodgers.
QB C is 2009 Matt Schaub.

Rodgers this season, IMO, isn't in the same ballpark as his 2011 MVP winning season, and has very comparable numbers to Schaub in '09.
That's MVP worthy???

There's 7 QBs this season with more yards than Rodgers, 8 with a higher completion percentage, 2 with more TD passes, and 4 with the same amount of wins. Other than the way everyone slobbers all over QBs jocks, how is he even in the conversation of MVP?

There are 5, 6, 7 QBs that you could make arguements for having just as good as, if not a better season than Aaron Rodgers this year. Luck, Big Ben, Peyton, Brady, even Romo. Hell, you can even throw Russel Wilson in the mix as well.

I don't mind the QB winning the MVP more than other positions but at least have an MVP worthy season like ARodg did in '11, or Peyton's 55/10 last year, or Brady's 50/8 and 16 wins in '07. To give it to Rodgers this year when he has stats similar to 5, 6 other QBs in the same season, that's just stupid. He's not any more "valuable" than any of those guys mentioned.

JJ Watt, OTOH, is blowing away the competition. No one is near the level he is at.

Rodgers will win it, and that's a shame. Shame on the voters, shame on the system. He'll win it when you can argue that he may not be the best QB in the league this season.

Oh well, like someone else said, whatever happens, JJ is on our team. I'll take that over all else.

Hello again classy Texans fans!

I just want to say that from an long time football fans (Love my Colts) perspective....

You have the greatest and most complete D-line player that has EVER played the sport in Watt

His stats are awesome, but think what they would be if he didn't get a double team on EVERY play (and maybe held a play or two) :)

Colts fan...... Jealous .....

I hope you find a QB

Have a great draft! (The Colts will have tough going, as we have many holes to fill this offseason)

Later

Yeah if he isn't held as much as he is he may have gotten to 30 sacks.

It would be a travesty for Rodgers to win it.

Here's why:

What sounds more likely, JJ lining up as a TE and catching
a touchdown pass or DiscountDC lining up as a LB and getting
a TFL or safety?

It's obvious! JJ impacted the game on both sides of the ball.
Hell, he blocked a PAT on special teams!

As someone else pointed out, DiscountDC hands off the ball almost
half the time!

The people who vote for Rodgers over Watt are suffering from
QB fanbois tunnel vision..

When was the last time an MVP award was given to a player whose team didn't make the playoffs? I honestly think JJ would have won it if we snuck in.

One of the talking heads said that O.J. was the last guy to win it on a non-playoff team. It was the year he busted the 2000 yard rushing mark. First guy ever to do so.

Since J.J. is also in "first guy ever to..." territory he should get lots of votes.

Then again, back when O.J. won it, defense was respected more than it is now.

There are at least two QBs in the NFL that could step in for Rogers and the Packers would have the same record.

There is no other player in the NFL that could step in at JJ Watts' position and do the things he has done and have the Texans at the same record.

It's a slam dunk for Watt as mvp if Browns beat Ravens yesterday. But Watt loses major points for his team not making the playoffs.

Everyone wants to throw in unprecedented history and it's a QB awards that will denied JJ from the mvp trophy. It's not. It's a media award. When the playoffs begins and the NFL talking heads and analysts starts commenting on matchups the word mvp will naturally come up and get correlated into current games. If the mvp is somewhere fishing this puts the media and the NFL in an awkward flow during playoffs talks. Sports commentators are paid to talks. If JJ Watt is named mvp they will have less material to work with during playoffs games because the mvp is not on the field.

Whoever can provide them with the most compelling materials during the playoffs will get the mvp awards.

It's a slam dunk for Watt as mvp if Browns beat Ravens yesterday. But Watt loses major points for his team not making the playoffs.

Everyone wants to throw in unprecedented history and it's a QB awards that will denied JJ from the mvp trophy. It's not. It's a media award. When the playoffs begins and the NFL talking heads and analysts starts commenting on matchups the word mvp will naturally come up and get correlated into current games. If the mvp is somewhere fishing this puts the media and the NFL in an awkward flow during playoffs talks. Sports commentators are paid to talks. If JJ Watt is named mvp they will have less material to work with during playoffs games because the mvp is not on the field.

MVP votes have to be turned in this week

I've said it before and I'll probably say it again... I hope he doesn't get it and it pisses him off and motivates him to elevate his game to an even higher level.

Anyone watched the Packers Lions game? Rodgers pretty much sealed the mvp deal when he came hobbling back to the field from an injury and led his team to the victory. Voters loves that kind of stuff and will eat it up during playoffs talks.

Back