Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

JJ Watt - MVP

Probably why fans don't get a vote.

Oh, please ... like the writers do any better. They're fkn grudge bearing homers that can be convinced by silly crap and unswayed by simple logic. I'd rather the fans vote than those assholes. Don't even get me started on their HoF voting record.

Oh, please ... like the writers do any better. They're fkn grudge bearing homers that can be convinced by silly crap and unswayed by simple logic. I'd rather the fans vote than those assholes. Don't even get me started on their HoF voting record.

just like that fool I briefly argued with last night on twitter that said no way he would vote for JJ (thankfully he doesn't have a vote) but... if the name of the award was still Player of the Year he might

I would not be shocked if this thing ends up with the ridiculous "co-MVP" like they did in 2003 with Peyton Manning and Steve McNair (and before that in 1997 with Brett Favre and Barry Sanders, so it's not unprecedented).

Moronic press might vote Rodgers, but the NFL marketing machine needs J.J. to be a part of it. He's good for their brand, and too many fans would ridicule the league if J.J.'s historic and truly awesome season is relegated because of goofy perceptions about playoff teams.

However, if Jj Watt gets the MVP, all of a sudden they know what they're talking about.

So if we think these guys are as clueless as you say, why do we care about who they think the MVP is?

Not that I disagree with you, but I couldn't care less who they name MVP. One way or the other.

However, if Jj Watt gets the MVP, all of a sudden they know what they're talking about.

I think you should know my post history well enough to know better. Now, if they finally vote in Dr. Doom, I might begin to re-evaluate the current batch of writers.

So if we think these guys are as clueless as you say, why do we care about who they think the MVP is?

I don't care about who THEY think is the MVP. I care about two things - one, the integrity of the award, since the public seems to put so much emphasis on it, and two, that people recognize the actual level of Watt's play. So if the idiot writers don't vote him MVP and the public at large ridicules them mercilessly, that's fine.

It's a slam dunk for Watt as mvp if Browns beat Ravens yesterday. But Watt loses major points for his team not making the playoffs.

Everyone wants to throw in unprecedented history and it's a QB awards that will denied JJ from the mvp trophy. It's not. It's a media award. When the playoffs begins and the NFL talking heads and analysts starts commenting on matchups the word mvp will naturally come up and get correlated into current games. If the mvp is somewhere fishing this puts the media and the NFL in an awkward flow during playoffs talks. Sports commentators are paid to talks. If JJ Watt is named mvp they will have less material to work with during playoffs games because the mvp is not on the field.

Whoever can provide them with the most compelling materials during the playoffs will get the mvp awards.

I would agree with this if the voting was not until after the playoffs. But since the votes are required this week, I cannot.

Perhaps there should be two MVP's. One regular season, and one for playoffs and championship.

Anyone watched the Packers Lions game? Rodgers pretty much sealed the mvp deal when he came hobbling back to the field from an injury and led his team to the victory. Voters loves that kind of stuff and will eat it up during playoffs talks.

Man that seemed so WWE to me. He knew he needed something like that to try to secure the award. And don't think any human with an ego is above doing something like that. I mean why would the Packers risk their playoffs putting their injured MVP back in a game when they had already secured a playoff berth? Win the division, lose you best player heading into the playoffs? Make no sense. Maybe if the game was in question heading into the final minutes, but even then it seems like a huge risk to make the injury worse and not have him available the rest of the way.

I think you should know my post history well enough to know better. Now, if they finally vote in Dr. Doom, I might begin to re-evaluate the current batch of writers.

I don't care about who THEY think is the MVP. I care about two things - one, the integrity of the award, since the public seems to put so much emphasis on it, and two, that people recognize the actual level of Watt's play. So if the idiot writers don't vote him MVP and the public at large ridicules them mercilessly, that's fine.

When I was growing up and first engrossed with football things like the Heisman award and the pro bowl were actually an honor. maybe I was naieve. Over the years those things have become more and more of a sham. Why is it so difficult to award a truly unique and amazing season? I'd be ok if watt got co-mvp but anything less just diminishes another title.

I expect we'll all be let down. And I expect some ceremonial comedy routine they call MVP won't mean **** to me from here on out.

Over the years and I know the game has evolved but I always wondered how a heisman troohy winnere aka best player in college football cant make an nfl team. Just seems funny to me when a 6th round pick can

Just a random thought

Over the years and I know the game has evolved but I always wondered how a heisman troohy winnere aka best player in college football cant make an nfl team. Just seems funny to me when a 6th round pick can

Just a random thought

In large part because the Heisman like the discussion here of MVP eliminates 97% of players from.consideration out of hand and then another 75% of the remaining 3 based more on team merit than individual.

The same people who think Aaron Rodgers should win over JJ Watt solely because the Packers are in the playoffs and the Texans are the *same* people who have thrown bitchfits about MVPs in baseball not being given to a guy who had a clearly superior season but didn't get it because his team wasn't in the playoffs. It's happened quite a few times, most recently with Trout in 2012 and 2013.

I think, generally, the player's play has to be valuable enough to have the team in the playoffs, but Watt's season was historic statistically, his team was definitely competing for the playoffs (ie not a guy who put up .350, 45 HR and 140 RBI on a basement-dweller, for example), and he CLEARLY had immense and direct value and impact on multiple games this year.

In general though, I think NFL MVP is less prestigious and "memorable" than NL/AL and NBA MVP awards anyway.

The same people who think Aaron Rodgers should win over JJ Watt solely because the Packers are in the playoffs and the Texans are the *same* people who have thrown bitchfits about MVPs in baseball not being given to a guy who had a clearly superior season but didn't get it because his team wasn't in the playoffs. It's happened quite a few times, most recently with Trout in 2012 and 2013.

I think, generally, the player's play has to be valuable enough to have the team in the playoffs, but Watt's season was historic statistically, his team was definitely competing for the playoffs (ie not a guy who put up .350, 45 HR and 140 RBI on a basement-dweller, for example), and he CLEARLY had immense and direct value and impact on multiple games this year.

In general though, I think NFL MVP is less prestigious and "memorable" than NL/AL and NBA MVP awards anyway.

Quite frankly, I expect a QB to get it, because that is how these asshole voters are. However, I get really ticked that the only other position to get a crack at the MVP is the damn RB position. Why in the hell do RB's get to be the only ones to get it?

On top of that, why in the hell is Romo being mentioned at all in this? I know that he has had one of his best seasons, but he still hasn't been as good as Rodgers, Brady, Manning. It always seems like a bunch of the ESPN hacks and voters want to start prepping some other guy out there just because he hasn't been in the discussion before regardless if he deserves it or not. I'm starting to hear a ton of Romo talk for the MVP, and he hasn't been on Brady or Rodgers level.

We just have to accept the fact that Watt is going to get screwed out of it unfortunately. He'll be my MVP this year regardless of who they give it to.

I hope you're just trying to make a point. Trout didn't win the MVP because Miguel Cabrera got the triple crown in 2012 and then put up even better numbers in 2013. Cabrera was the player creating history in baseball since it had been 45 years since a player won the triple crown. Not being on a winning team had nothing to do with it for Trout.

Every since they changed the name of the award from Player of the Year to MVP, the writers have it in their head as which one deserves to be paid the highest, and that will always be QB because no team can do without one and they are the most visible. It's got nothing to do with which one is the best football player. Neither MVP or Heisman

Every since they changed the name of the award from Player of the Year to MVP, the writers have it in their head as which one deserves to be paid the highest, and that will always be QB because no team can do without one and they are the most visible. It's got nothing to do with which one is the best football player. Neither MVP or Heisman

To be honest, I think it should be a QB mostly though. I agree with the general thinking of that, but I think you still have to be open minded and make exceptions if there are some rare cases for players at other positions. This is obviously a very rare case. Extremely rare. We may not have been a playoff team, but the impact plays from Watt in several of those wins was the difference in the Texans going 3-13 instead of 9-7. Adding that safety in game 16 put it over the top for me.

I hope you're just trying to make a point. Trout didn't win the MVP because Miguel Cabrera got the triple crown in 2012 and then put up even better numbers in 2013. Cabrera was the player creating history in baseball since it had been 45 years since a player won the triple crown. Not being on a winning team had nothing to do with it for Trout.

Yes, I know he won the Triple Crown. And that's definitely worthy of an MVP. But Trout *did* have a better season top to bottom taking everything into consideration outside of BA/HR/RBI. I'm not really a stathead/sabrdouche in general but it definitely could be argued that Trout deserved them, for example: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/the-statistical-case-against-cabrera-for-m-v-p/

Of course the guy who won the Triple Crown's gonna get the MVP though. No worries on that front. Either way, the Angels missing out on the playoffs definitely played a factor with plenty of people I remember.

Either way, I was just trying to make a point.

Another example of idiocy in voting is Baseball voters making the most prolific right handed doubles hitter in the history of the game sit out after he's eligible because they have something to prove. Well they proved they were idiots.

I'm relatively young as far as sports fans go. In my 30+ years however I've seen a million annoyances and aspects that I've felt were unfair. This MVP vote is definitely near the top of the list of frustrations. The entire argument is over taking 1 word too literally. The intent of the MVP is to reward the best player. It's the PLAYER OF THE YEAR award. The guy who stood out above all others as the single best player that season. Everyone agrees who that player is.

What they dont agree on is the vocabulary. To argue that 1 word is to admit failure. A failure in the thought process. A failure to be a sports fan. A failure to know the game you're attempting to judge. To glorify that one word without context is to proclaim "he lead my fantasy team, and that is what's most important in football". Because that's what it is. That 1 word is who is winning the fantasy football card on a winning team. Best player? Not interested - unless he's scoring the most points.

Man that seemed so WWE to me. He knew he needed something like that to try to secure the award. And don't think any human with an ego is above doing something like that. I mean why would the Packers risk their playoffs putting their injured MVP back in a game when they had already secured a playoff berth? Win the division, lose you best player heading into the playoffs? Make no sense. Maybe if the game was in question heading into the final minutes, but even then it seems like a huge risk to make the injury worse and not have him available the rest of the way.

Winning the Lions game assured the Packers a bye into the divisional round. That's akin to winning a playoff game. I think that had more influence in Rodgers coming back. And by more I mean everything to do with him coming back.

The arguments that I find especially funny are "well, if Rodgers goes down the packers are doomed". Why should having a crappy backup factor into the equation? Brady went down in week 2(?) and the Pats won 10 games. "If Watt went down it wouldn't have the same impact". There hasn't been a defensive player in the same stratosphere as Watt in the past 3 seasons. We lead the league in turnovers this year thanks to Watt, and were able to lead the league in rushing percentage on a junk offense because of Watt. The hurries, hits, sacks, and tackles for loss sure as hell weren't coming from anywhere else - and no other player in the league is remotely close to having that type of impact. And few EVER have gotten the attention from offenses that Watt gets. Not chips, not the occasional double, we're talking about numerous visible illustrations of 3 and 4 man schemes to block 1 guy.

Replace Rodgers with Manning or Brady or Brees or Luck or even guys like Romo or Ben or Flacco, and the Pack still probably win the division. Replace Watt with any other player in the league and our defense is completely unable to keep our offense in games.

Last edited:
Every since they changed the name of the award from Player of the Year to MVP, the writers have it in their head as which one deserves to be paid the highest, and that will always be QB

Interesting angle. When you equate dollar amount to value it fits.

If that's the case though, then they need to just change the award
to the football version of the cy young.. "The Unitas Award". etc..

Agent's take: Who deserves the NFL MVP award?

50 members of the media will vote on the 2014 Associated Press NFL Most Valuable Player (MVP) award before the playoffs start on January 3. The NFL’s MVP voting procedure differs from the other major professional team sports in this country because a points system isn’t used. For example, the NBA MVP is determined by voters ranking their top-five candidates on a 10-7-5-3-1 points system. Instead, each NFL voter selects a single player as MVP, with selectors sometimes splitting a vote between two players. The results will be announced on January 31, the day before Super Bowl XLIX, during the NBC televised NFL Honors Awards Show in Phoenix, Arizona.

Here are the top-five MVP candidates in the order in which they should finish, but won't:

1. J.J. Watt-Houston Texans

Watt should be the 2014 NFL MVP despite history working against him. The only two defensive players to win the MVP are Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Alan Page in 1971 and New York Giants outside linebacker Lawrence Taylor in 1986. The last MVP from a team that didn’t make the playoffs was Buffalo Bills running back O.J. Simpson in 1973.

Watt had one of the most dominant seasons ever for a defensive player. His historic performance was better than his 2012 season when he was named the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year. Watt became the first player in NFL history to have multiple 20 sack seasons by tying his career high with 20.5 sacks. He had a league leading five fumble recoveries, tied for second with four forced fumbles and was second in sacks. Advanced metrics better capture Watt’s dominance. According to Pro Football Focus (PFF), Watt had a career-best 119 quarterback pressures (combined sacks, hurries and hits) to top has previous high of 85 in 2013. NFL sacks leader Justin Houston was second this year to Watt with 85 pressures.

Watt was an occasional two-way player as a red-zone threat on offense. He also became the first player in NFL history with an interception return for a touchdown, a fumble recovery touchdown and three touchdown receptions during a season. Although the Texans narrowly missed the playoffs with nine victories, Watt led the team to the NFL’s biggest win improvement in 2014. The seven-game turnaround from a league-worst two wins in 2013 occurred without a legitimate starting quarterback or another elite defensive player to turn the opposition's attention away from Watt. It will be a surprise if Watt wins the MVP because of the advantage quarterbacks have by impacting the game on practically every offensive play. A quarterback has been named MVP in 37 of the 57 years of the award. Watt should get more than four votes, which would be the most for a defensive player during the 21st century.

2. Aaron Rodgers-Green Bay Packers

Rodgers probably clinched his second MVP award with a gritty performance against the Lions in the season finale. After an aggravation of a left calf injury that forced him out of the game in the first half, Rodgers returned in the second half to break a 14-14 tie and lead the Packers to their fourth straight NFC North title. Rodgers completed 65.6 percent of his passes for 4,381 yards to post a 112.2 passer rating (second-best in the NFL). He threw 38 touchdown passes (third in NFL) and only five interceptions, which are the fewest of his career since becoming a starter in 2008. The 2011 NFL MVP was extremely consistent throughout the season with his only major hiccup coming in a Week 15 loss to the Buffalo Bills when Rodgers completed only 40.5 percent of his passes (17 of 42 attempts) for a career-worst 34.3 passing rating.

3. Tom Brady-New England Patriots

It’s hard to believe that there was a rush to judgment about Brady being washed up when New England had a 2-2 record given the way the season unfolded. In the first four games, Brady only threw for 197.8 yards per game, completed just 59.2 percent of his passes, had four touchdown passes and two interceptions with a 79.1 passing rating. The two-time MVP rebounded from the slow start to give the Patriots home field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs. New England’s 12 wins put them in a tie with four other teams for the NFL’s best record. It’s hard to ignore that Brady’s resurgence coincided with All-Pro tight end Rob Gronkowski shaking off the rust after receiving limited action initially during his return from a 2013 ACL tear. In the eleven games with a healthy Gronkowski (he sat out the season finale for precautionary measures), Brady had a 66.2 completion percentage and 104.4 passing rating while throwing for 294.4 yards per game with 29 touchdown passes and seven interceptions.

4. DeMarco Murray-Dallas Cowboys

Murray started the 2014 season like gangbusters...

5. Tony Romo-Dallas Cowboys

Romo made a late season MVP push...

The arguments that I find especially funny are "well, if Rodgers goes down the packers are doomed". Why should having a crappy backup factor into the equation? Brady went down in week 2(?) and the Pats won 10 games. "If Watt went down it wouldn't have the same impact". There hasn't been a defensive player in the same stratosphere as Watt in the past 3 seasons. We lead the league in turnovers this year thanks to Watt, and were able to lead the league in rushing percentage on a junk offense because of Watt. The hurries, hits, sacks, and tackles for loss sure as hell weren't coming from anywhere else - and no other player in the league is remotely close to having that type of impact. And few EVER have gotten the attention from offenses that Watt gets. Not chips, not the occasional double, we're talking about numerous visible illustrations of 3 and 4 man schemes to block 1 guy.

Replace Rodgers with Manning or Brady or Brees or Luck or even guys like Romo or Ben or Flacco, and the Pack still probably win the division. Replace Watt with any other player in the league and our defense is completely unable to keep our offense in games.

That's where Watt's durability has worked against him in convincing voters of his value to the team. Watt never miss a game so no one actually knows how much this could impact his team. When Rodgers & Romo were out their team clearly struggled. That's the kind of hard evidence voters are looking for in determining how much overall value a player brings to their team.

Watt was healthy all last year while remaining dominance but his team still managed just two wins because the team overall was that awful. Watt's team this season is much better because of new coaching and philosophy and his stats reflects that.

It's virtually impossible for any healthy good/elite QB to lead his team to just two wins in a season. Drew Brees entire team played as bad as they can play but yet mustered 6 wins because of high quality plays from the QB position. That's a value that the voters will not ignore over a defensive player historic year.

And what also hurt Watt beside missing the playoffs is he's not even the league leader in sacks. That's a glamour stats that the voters wants him to behold. Just like Peterson 2000 yard rushing yards season that awed voters. And that is why the mvp is such a sham and hollow award. It's an individualism award courting in the ultimate team sport with open interpretation. Everyone is making their own rules as they go.

My only example is playing with Reggie White and seeing Reggie White play at a high level, and I've seen what he can do to a game. I can say JJ Watt is at least playing to that level and even higher.

Now the guys that won the MVP -- Allan Page, Lawrence Taylor -- they only scored 5 TDs in their whole NFL career. Their whole NFL career, these two!... and JJ Watt has 5 TDs this season.

Now I'm telling you what he is doing defensively to me is different. I'm talking about compared to the best of the best, it's different. He's got a different motor, he's got a different gauge, he's got different variety. He can play inside, he can play outside, he can play left defensive end he can play right defensive end. Now the only player who had that type of variety to his game was Reggie.
--Chris Carter, Mike&MikeInTheMorning

I would love to see Watt get the MVP.

But I would rather see the Texans win a frigging super bowl if I had a choice between the two. These player awards are nice, but ultimately they are distractions for the fans and writers.

I would love to see Watt get the MVP.

But I would rather see the Texans win a frigging super bowl if I had a choice between the two. These player awards are nice, but ultimately they are distractions for the fans and writers.

It's probably not an either or but both or none.

If I hear this isht one more time...

JJ Watt is the best player in the NFL,

But he's not the MVP.

pullhair.gif
butcher-smiley-emoticon.gif
murder.gif

So disagreeing with your disagreeable position is - disagreeable?

He didn't say what his position was, but I'll say it - the best player IS the MVP. Any attempt to judge otherwise is an idiotic play on semantics, and they don't even understand the word that they're playing with anyway.

The Rodgers supporters are on twitter pointing out that 10 of JJ's sacks came against JAX and TEN.....15 of Rodgers TDs came against MIN and CHI(10 vs bears). They forgot to mention that part.

Seems to me that there should be two distinctly different awards.

Most Outstanding Player: The player that raised his game head & shoulders above all others. Whether your team makes the playoffs or even has a winning record is irrelevant. It's how outstanding (and I know this is anti-Bill O'Brien's "team first, last, and only" philosophy) this guy's play is compared to everyone else in the NFL. It's like finishing #1 in the NFL's top 100. You're the guy nobody wants to face.

Most Valuable Player: The player whose team would not have anywhere near the level of success they had if he had not played at the level he played. This is the guy or unit (because this year I'd vote in the Cowboys' O-line) is most responsible for a team's success. Your team has to make the playoffs to be eligible.

Seems to me that there should be two distinctly different awards.

If I had my way, there would be two awards - Offensive Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year. MVP is just a way for the media to award two offensive players and only one defensive player while they struggle in vain to understand the word value.

Even attempting to buy into increased wins = value, the playoffs are a dumb, arbitrary cutoff. A team might have 7 extra wins due to one player (throwing all ideas of team sport out the window) but it is from 1 win to 8 and that player isn't worthy because his team didn't make the playoffs while some player who is responsible for only 2 extra wins is called more valuable. It makes no sense.

The whole thing is mental masturbation. Increased wins is purely conjecture and this is a team sport. The only rational choice is best player this season.

How much better is Rodger's QBR than an average QB & how much worse is the QBR for an average QB when JJ Watt is done with it?

I don't know the numerical answers, but I think Watt wins...

I'm starting to get this crazy optimism about Watt being co-MVP.

Won't hold my breath tho.

I think co-MVP is a cop out, with the voters admitting they know Watt is the true MVP and also admitting they are incapable/afraid of saying it outright.

According to Wiki there are several MVP (or Player of the Year) awards handed out. The AP award is just one of many.

- Pro Football Writers Association NFL MVP Award
- Newspaper Enterprise Association NFL MVP Award
- Sporting News NFL MVP Award
- Bert Bell Award
- Washington D.C. Touchdown Club NFL Player of the Year Award
- Joe F. Carr Trophy
- Football Digest NFL MVP Award
- Miller Lite NFL Player of the Year
- United Press International NFL POY Award

According to Wiki there are several MVP (or Player of the Year) awards handed out. The AP award is just one of many.

- Pro Football Writers Association NFL MVP Award
- Newspaper Enterprise Association NFL MVP Award
- Sporting News NFL MVP Award
- Bert Bell Award
- Washington D.C. Touchdown Club NFL Player of the Year Award
- Joe F. Carr Trophy
- Football Digest NFL MVP Award
- Miller Lite NFL Player of the Year
- United Press International NFL POY Award

I doubt the NFL has since it's an AP writers award

Thanks! I guess that's why the voting criteria is so vague. And it's probably vague on purpose, to draw up alot of debate and controversy.

Thanks! I guess that's why the voting criteria is so vague. And it's probably vague on purpose, to draw up alot of debate and controversy.

Yep, it was pretty straight forward when it was named player of the year

Neither JJ Watt nor Justin Houston win AFC Defensive Player of the Week...
Houston -- 4 sacks + BP
Watt -- 3 sacks + Safety

Johnathan Newsome -- 2 sacks <--- winner!

But Aaron Rodgers wins NFC Offensive Player of the Week...

Rodgers -- 220 yards passing, 2 TDs, 139.6 passer rating
Geno Smith -- 358 yards passing, 3 TDs, 158.3 passer rating​

Houston -- 4 sacks + BP
Watt -- 3 sacks + Safety

:gun:

Houston -- 4 sacks + BP
Watt -- 3 sacks + Safety

1) Watt got DPOM for December 2) Geno Smith plays in the AFC

Back