Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

It’s time for Cal McNair to take over moving forward.

All the Andre Johnson haters can exit stage left and forget all the good things he did for this community and handled himself with utmost class during his time here. Crucify him for wanting to win? Fitting for some of the contributors to this board.

Yeah...

Quiet guy, didn’t cause public distractions, never accused of loafing, gave all he had even if deep down he had doubts, great player, great teammate....beat the **** out of innegan...oh yeah, and donates to needy kids in the community every year even when playing for other teams, and does other charity work...

But he didn’t like McNair’s comments and simply THOUGHT about not going to the ceremony and some say they’ve lost some respect for him...

Yep...I know where their mind is. You can only hide the type of person you are for so long. If you talk enough, the people who pay attention can see what you’re about.

Yeah...

Quiet guy, didn’t cause public distractions, never accused of loafing, gave all he had even if deep down he had doubts, great player, great teammate....beat the **** out of innegan...oh yeah, and donates to needy kids in the community every year even when playing for other teams, and does other charity work...

But he didn’t like McNair’s comments and simply THOUGHT about not going to the ceremony and some say they’ve lost some respect for him...

Yep...I know where their mind is. You can only hide the type of person you are for so long. If you talk enough, the people who pay attention can see what you’re about.

Quack like a duck, walk like a duck.

Yeah...

He's an ingrate. I don't mind so much the other stuff, but the "company" he worked for is putting him into what amounts to its hall of fame, and he thought about being a no show? Sorry...that is bush league at best.

Used to be, when the team was simply losing and ownership and management was showing no interest in building quality depth which was blaringly obvious, as DB suggested, I could always default back to the reality that at least we have a football team again. I could say at least old man McNair brought pro football back to Houston. But if under the McNair's the direction of this organization is heading into Donald Sterling and/or Marge Schott territory, I'd rather have no NFL team here. I don't want Houston to be associated with bigotry and racism. We're not Vidor, TX.

He's an ingrate. I don't mind so much the other stuff, but the "company" he worked for is putting him into what amounts to its hall of fame, and he thought about being a no show? Sorry...that is bush league at best.

Careful what you say about AJ...

Guy is revered by some here. He can do no wrong.

:coffee:

Careful what you say about AJ...

Guy is revered by some here. He can do no wrong.

Beyond an opinion that you disagree with, what did Andre Johnson do wrong?

And don't give me any B.S. about his departure. That was just business for both sides.

Dude was charitable, a great role model, was never in trouble, and exemplified professionalism his entire career.

I honestly expected you to be above the immature trolling of Porky and thought you could be objective about things.

Beyond an opinion that you disagree with, what did Andre Johnson do wrong?

And don't give me any B.S. about his departure. That was just business for both sides.

Dude was charitable, a great role model, was never in trouble, and exemplified professionalism his entire career.

I honestly expected you to be above the immature trolling of Porky and thought you could be objective about things.

What opinion are you referring to that I disagreed with?

What BS about his departure?

Never have I cast aspersions about his charitable work, I have never said he was in any sort of trouble.

I have and still do question his professionalism.

Trolling Porky? Not hardly. I was only advising him that criticizing AJ would bring about a an immature response such as yours.

Thanks for proving my point.

Never have I cast aspersions about his charitable work, I have never said he was in any sort of trouble.

Trolling Porky? Not hardly. I was only advising him that criticizing AJ would bring about a an immature response such as yours.

You poked that bear as well when you said Be careful what you say about AJ. Then followed that up with a pretty lame comment stating some people revered him in that type of manner.

If AJ isn’t one to be revered as a Texan fan then who tf is?

AJ belonged with the Texans but in all honesty, the biggest mistake was sticking with this organization after his rookie contract. AJ should've signed with an organization that had a better grasp of winning. We're 16 years later and it's going to come down to Gaine and O'Brien to determine if this organization can turn the corner. For Watson, JJ, Clowney, Mercilus, McKinney, Cunningham, Hopkins, Foreman.....it could mean everything.

AJ belonged with the Texans but in all honesty, the biggest mistake was sticking with this organization after his rookie contract. AJ should've signed with an organization that had a better grasp of winning. We're 16 years later and it's going to come down to Gaine and O'Brien to determine if this organization can turn the corner. For Watson, JJ, Clowney, Mercilus, McKinney, Cunningham, Hopkins, Foreman.....it could mean everything.

I remember saying this years ago. We rely way too much on Andre Johnson. he needed help. Can you imagine what him and Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, hell any quarterback with a descent line and a descent quarterback couldve done? The only thing that keeps me positive is We arent the Cleveland Browns.

And mcnair needs to give up his ownership. Not just because of the comments but he his ownership of the team and the decisions he makes are detrimental to the success of this team.

I remember saying this years ago. We rely way too much on Andre Johnson. he needed help. Can you imagine what him and Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, hell any quarterback with a descent line and a descent quarterback couldve done? The only thing that keeps me positive is We arent the Cleveland Browns.

If we only had all the picks Cleveland had last season and the one's they amassed this season...Texans would be in a very good place.

Trolling? I'm not trolling. I loved AJ the player and I have a lot of good memories from those days. I also respect what he did in the community. But it's not trolling to call into question a guy that reaps millions from his company and then when they decide to put him in their HOF, he's like nah, I don't really like some of what the owner said.

Sorry if that's trolling, but I stand by what I said. I lost some (not all) respect for the guy over that. It's bush league stuff. Like it's been said before, it's not like he cares about me or anyone else's opinion, but this is an opinion board so...there you have it.

Trolling? I'm not trolling. I loved AJ the player and I have a lot of good memories from those days. I also respect what he did in the community. But it's not trolling to call into question a guy that reaps millions from his company and then when they decide to put him in their HOF, he's like nah, I don't really like some of what the owner said.

Sorry if that's trolling, but I stand by what I said. I lost some (not all) respect for the guy over that. It's bush league stuff. Like it's been said before, it's not like he cares about me or anyone else's opinion, but this is an opinion board so...there you have it.

Well Mcnair needs to be accountable to his words. Andre Johnson was literally the only good thing about the texans in alot of those crappy years we had. And to reap millions from a company goes both ways. Andre was the reason many of us even watched the 2005 season. He gave us a little bit of legitimacy because everyone outside of Houston viewed the Texans as a joke. Hes def made bob mcnair some money and return on his investment.

So you are not allowed to disagree with your employer’s public comments because they signed your check before they fired you and eventually put you in there hall of fame? Gotcha.

Only makes sense for the Borg.

Where did I say he couldn't disagree? He's free to disagree. What I have a problem with is being a no show, or in this case at least thinking of being a no show where you are being honored for your heroics while under the employ of this person.

Where did I say he couldn't disagree? He's free to disagree. What I have a problem with is being a no show, or in this case at least thinking of being a no show where you are being honored for your heroics while under the employ of this person.

Well that makes more sense. He is allowed to disagree with a previous employer who fired him but still has to be at the beck and call of that previous employer if they want to honor him because if he doesn’t he is a snowflake.

It appears that you like to play word games. It's silly, but apparently that's how you roll. I'm just trying to have a conversation.

You said "Guy is revered by some here. He can do no wrong" in response to Porky's ingrate comment (which you apparently agree with).

The definition of revere is "feel deep respect or admiration". Why wouldn't Texans fans feel that way about A.J.? Kinda' goofy that you wouldn't share that sentiment, but whatever, to each his own.

I'd estimate that a very solid majority of Texans fans in general feel deep respect or admiration for Andre Johnson, so you're a very small minority with that perspective.

Maybe I incorrectly assumed that your "he can do no wrong" statement was sarcasm. Please correct me if I'm wrong with that assumption.

The opinion I was referring to was the same one that you agreed with Porky about, that A.J. is an "ingrate" for just thinking about not attending.

I was only advising him that criticizing AJ would bring about a an immature response such as yours.

Maybe I was giving you more respect than is justified. Probably a fault of mine, but so be it. I thought you were capable of having a mature conversation, even in disagreement, but it seems I just need to quit giving some folks more credit than they deserve.

News flash: A.J. did show up for that ceremony and gave no indication at the time that he thought otherwise. He was gracious and professional towards McNair, the organization, and the city.

As far as trolling, like Vinny always said, let the posters define themselves with their words. Your words have already defined you for quite a while around these parts. It is what it is.

News flash: A.J. did show up for that ceremony and gave no indication at the time that he thought otherwise. He was gracious and professional towards McNair, the organization, and the city.

As far as trolling, like Vinny always said, let the posters define themselves with their words. Your words have already defined you for quite a while around these parts. It is what it is.

That’s the thing...

It seems like you’d gain respect for someone that can put their feelings aside and be mature enough to go through with the ceremony even though he may have harbored ill feelings. That’s the kind of maturity we want to see from our world leaders.

But AJ is black and porky has already shown to be biased against black people so I’m not sure why I’m even wasting time trying to make sense of it.

I'm pretty neutral when it comes to AJ, and celebs/athletes all together. As long as they're not being complete fools, breaking away from moral and ethical courtesies of a civilized nation, I don't care about what they say/do. If AJ was hesitant about attending the ceremony in his honor, it doesn't matter to me. It has no bearing as to how I viewed him on and off the field, or how I view him now. To me, the man that is Andre Johnson, he is a good man. He's been a good citizen of high moral character and a damn good football player. And he had a good upper cut. Ask Courtland Finnegan.

I'm pretty neutral when it comes to AJ, and celebs/athletes all together. As long as they're not being complete fools, breaking away from moral and ethical courtesies of a civilized nation, I don't care about what they say/do. If AJ was hesitant about attending the ceremony in his honor, it doesn't matter to me. It has no bearing as to how I viewed him on and off the field, or how I view him now. To me, the man that is Andre Johnson, he is a good man. He's been a good citizen of high moral character and a damn good football player. And he had a good upper cut. Ask Courtland Finnegan.

I respect that view.

Not sure how to take it after your deleted comments from a while back, but i gotta agree with you here.

It appears that you like to play word games. It's silly, but apparently that's how you roll. I'm just trying to have a conversation.

snip

Maybe I incorrectly assumed that your "he can do no wrong" statement was sarcasm. (it was) Please correct me if I'm wrong with that assumption.

The opinion I was referring to was the same one that you agreed with Porky about, that A.J. is an "ingrate" for just thinking about not attending.

I suppose advising Porky to be wary of making adverse comments about AJ could be construed as agreeing with him. But in all honesty I could not care less whether AJ went to the ceremony or not.

Another poster in this thread has thrown the racist card at Porky. I was not aware of that and not too sure I agree with it.

Label is being used/abused quite often. It is possible to dislike/disagree with a black person for reasons other than their color.

I mistakenly thought you and I have had several "civil' discussions/conversations in the past. Must admit I was not prepared for your response to this thread.

But as you say It is what it is.

Another poster in this thread has thrown the racist card at Porky. I was not aware of that and not too sure I agree with it.

Label is being used/abused quite often. It is possible to dislike/disagree with a black person for reasons other than their color.

I mistakenly thought you and I have had several "civil' discussions/conversations in the past. Must admit I was not prepared for your response to this thread.

But as you say It is what it is.

No what I said was “biased” not racist though I guess the two can be perceived as being interchangeable in this instance. But I stayed away from the word racist on purpose because I don’t think Porky is a full blown racist to the point he’s actively wishing evil things against minorities.
I do believe he has biases against black people and he’s clearly shown this in the past when he was angry and called Black people a “sick race of people”.

If you do not remember that or weren’t around when it happened then I can understand your confusion. I’d just say be careful who you align yourself with and what hills you’re dying on.

No what I said was “biased” not racist though I guess the two can be perceived as being interchangeable in this instance. But I stayed away from the word racist on purpose because I don’t think Porky is a full blown racist to the point he’s actively wishing evil things against minorities.
I do believe he has biases against black people and he’s clearly shown this in the past when he was angry and called Black people a “sick race of people”.

If you do not remember that or weren’t around when it happened then I can understand your confusion. I’d just say be careful who you align yourself with and what hills you’re dying on.

Appreciate the clarification. How you maintain your cool often amazes me.

I don't know if I really align myself with any certain poster or not. If I do I suppose it's because I agree with them most often.

Don't remember reading that particular quote from Porky. People often say things when they are angry that maybe they really don't mean to say.

I have been called racist by one particular poster here. Like I posted, some people like to throw that word around carelessly.

I agree and disagree with many posters here, many agree and disagree with me. To my recollection I have never accused anyone black or white of being a racist. I never get 'mad' about anything said here. Frustrated, aggravated and often disappointed certainly. Is pissed off the same as getting mad?

My posts on here concerning AJ has raised some ire. I like AJ and recognize all he has done for this town and its fans. But I also will recognize and discuss his flaws.

I caught flak because I didn't agree with some here that were attacking Cushing when he retired. Some were pretty ruthless.

I've been around here quite a while now. I'm beginning to think maybe too long. The old saying "familiarity breeds contempt".

Apparently some contributors here feel Brian Cushing was a better Texan and person than Andre Johnson because of you know ... Reasons.

You can run but you can't hide.

Grow a pair.
Cowards way out. Hiding in the ‘Poster Protection Program’. :lol:

Coming out from under your rock and posting snide comments about a poster you are hiding from. Smacks of back shooting.

Last edited:
AJ is still upset that he never made back the $$$$$ on his 1st contract that was negotiated be his uncle.

AJ was also correct when he questioned the Texans org's desire to win.

This is getting ridiculous

I think the open dialogue is healthy actually. I agree though that the lines may have blurred between a football discussion and a social one.

I’d like to compartmentalize everything but ‘tis life.

AJ is still upset that he never made back the $$$$$ on his 1st contract that was negotiated be his uncle.

One of the things that stood out to me from the podcast with Arian was how Andre and Arian both agreed that it used to bother them that the team wouldn’t make splashes in free agency.

Andre said he went to Smith to talk about how the team was being built and to let him know that he’d like some high end players added. He noted that the only time they did that was when they added Jjo and manning.
He said Smith gave him a line saying they were going to continue to build through the draft.

Personally I hope that was a rick smith philosophy and not an organizational one.

You need to stop getting hung up on the money thing.

Elite players like Andre play to win it all. Andre is more upset about missing out on a ring and the possibility of not making it to the Hall of Fame when if he had played with most other teams outside of the Browns it’s a given.

He is just coming clean because there is so much the fans don’t know about that happens behind the scenes.

You can tell he cares about his fans because he showed up to his Ring of Honor thing. Plus, he knows Rick squander opportunities, and McNair had been saying stupid stuff. So he just just telling it how it is from a players perspective to help fans understand what we are purchasing when we go to games: dysfunction from ownership to front office.

This is what happens when half your team including you QB is out for the last half a season and you don’t have a first or second round draft pick.

Things are stale.

How did the Texans get into this mess? No OL and zero depth of reasonable quality. Why is this such a thorn? B/c they've had ample opportunities to address these issues over several seasons with early picks.

You need to stop getting hung up on the money thing.

Elite players like Andre play to win it all. Andre is more upset about missing out on a ring and the possibility of not making it to the Hall of Fame when if he had played with most other teams outside of the Browns it’s a given.

He is just coming clean because there is so much the fans don’t know about that happens behind the scenes.

You can tell he cares about his fans because he showed up to his Ring of Honor thing. Plus, he knows Rick squander opportunities, and McNair had been saying stupid stuff. So he just just telling it how it is from a players perspective to help fans understand what we are purchasing when we go to games: dysfunction from ownership to front office.

Read the post above yours

How did the Texans get into this mess? No OL and zero depth of reasonable quality. Why is this such a thorn? B/c they've had ample opportunities to address these issues over several seasons with early picks.
Too your point. It seems as if they only draft OL from 3 on down. They did draft 2 in the second round. This is dating back to 2009
Drafted Players
2017 1 Deshaun Watson
2 Zach Cunningham
3 D'Onta Foreman
4 Julie'n Davenport
4 Carlos Watkins
5 Treston Decoud
7 Kyle Fuller
Year
Round selected in Draft
1 Will Fuller
2 Nick Martin
3 Braxton Miller
4 Tyler Ervin
5 K.J. Dillon
5 D.J. Reader
Year
Round selected in Draft"
2015 1 Kevin Johnson
2 Benardrick McKinney
3 Jaelen Strong
5 Keith Mumphery
2015 6 Reshard Cliett
6 Christian Covington
7 Kenny Hilliard
Year
Round selected in drafted
1 Jadeveon Clowney
2 Xavier Su'a-Filo
3 C.J. Fiedorowicz
3 Louis Nix
2014 4 Tom Savage
6 Jeoffrey Pagan
2014 6 Alfred Blue
6 Jay Prosch
7 Andre Hal
7 Lonnie Ballentine
Year
Round selected in Draft"
2013 1 DeAndre Hopkins
2 D.J. Swearinger
3 Brennan Williams
2013 3 Sam Montgomery
2013 4 Trevardo Williams
2013 6 David Quessenberry
6 Alan Bonner
2013 6 Chris Jones
6 Ryan Griffin
Year
Round selected in Draft"
2012 1 Whitney Mercilus
3 DeVier Posey
2012 3 Brandon Brooks
4 Ben Jones
4 Keshawn Martin
4 Jared Crick
5 Randy Bullock
6 Nick Mondek
Year Round selected in Draft"
2011 1 J.J. Watt
2 Brooks Reed
2 Brandon Harris
2011 4 Roc Carmichael
2011 5 Shiloh Keo
2011 5 T.J. Yates
7 Derek Newton
7 Cheta Ozougwu
2010 1 Kareem Jackson
2 Ben Tate
2010 3 Earl Mitchell
4 Darryl Sharpton
2010 4 Garrett Graham
2010 5 Sherrick McManis
6 Shelley Smith
2010 6 Trindon Holliday
2010 7 Dorin Dickerson
2009 1 Brian Cushing
2 Connor Barwin
3 Antoine Caldwell
2009 4 Glover Quin
4 Anthony Hill
2009 5 James Casey
2009 6 Brice McCain
7 Troy Nolan

Where draft pick wise analysis only truly matters if compared to where other teams have drafted their OLmen...I really did not have the time to even do this much less full "where in the draft do starting OLmen really come from" study. But just for fun...

2nd round (2)
3rd round (3)
4th round (2)
5th round (0)
6th round (3)
7th round (2)

So during this time, Duane Brown was the starting left tackle until mid-point 2017, so they were attempting to get starting players @ 4 positions...looks like 12 chances to fill 4 positions, only now 5 (remember Brown), over 9 years, not counting free agent signings and UDFAs developing. There are 2 expected to start currently, only one of those players currently ranks even close to "solid". That number is just poor considering all twelve could by age still be a Texan. This is an identification, development, health and retention nightmare.

I think the where(round) has been realistic, the result not.

Back