Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

It’s time for Cal McNair to take over moving forward.

I’ve tried to not view or call people racist as much as I have in the past. I think there are people who are outright racist...they’ll admit it....if not openly in society, then to people they feel comfortable admitting it to.

And then I think there are people who are biased against certain races and are almost in denial or maybe even unaware.

Tbh, I think that there’s a whole lot of people in society that fall under description 2. But people are stubborn. It’s like being in a relationship and your spouse has a complaint and you don’t validate it or self reflect because you feel like youre doing everything you need to do. Or if your boss gives you constructive criticism and you let it go in one ear and out the other because you know wtf you’re doing.

As far as McNair...I don’t know the guy personally and I haven’t seen enough to declare he’s a racist. But one thing I do feel fairly confident in saying is that he is either tone deaf or doesn’t give a damn about injustices against minorities.

Does he feel a certain type of way about black people in general? Entirely possible in my mind.

Great post

Unfortunately in today's society there are alot of people of all races that fit into description #2.

Reactions: JB
I’ve tried to not view or call people racist as much as I have in the past. I think there are people who are outright racist...they’ll admit it....if not openly in society, then to people they feel comfortable admitting it to.

And then I think there are people who are biased against certain races and are almost in denial or maybe even unaware.

Tbh, I think that there’s a whole lot of people in society that fall under description 2. But people are stubborn. It’s like being in a relationship and your spouse has a complaint and you don’t validate it or self reflect because you feel like youre doing everything you need to do. Or if your boss gives you constructive criticism and you let it go in one ear and out the other because you know wtf you’re doing.

As far as McNair...I don’t know the guy personally and I haven’t seen enough to declare he’s a racist. But one thing I do feel fairly confident in saying is that he is either tone deaf or doesn’t give a damn about injustices against minorities.

Does he feel a certain type of way about black people in general? Entirely possible in my mind.

And sometimes people are just idjits regardless of race. Calling someone a dumbass doesn't mean you are biased about their race. Insensitive comments
by McNair are not necessarily because he's a racist

A certain ineptitude in getting the pieces in place to field a winning organization on or near a consistent basis. The Oilers could've done much better and when they did...they were in Tennessee. The Texans have been on the scene for 15+ years and they're consistenlt out of sinc when it comes to getting the pieces (FO, Coaching Staff and Players) on the board at the same time. In my book, Casserly and Smith were given far too much time as GM's with piss-poor results. Both GM's had ample opportunities with Drafts that started inside the 10th pick. Bad drafts, bad FA moves and horrible cap management pretty much sums up why the Texans are in this hole today.

And sometimes people are just idjits regardless of race. Calling someone a dumbass doesn't mean you are biased about their race. Insensitive comments
by McNair are not necessarily because he's a racist

Personally, I think McNair's statement was 100% directed at Goodell for letting this practice of protest to be carried out during the playing of the National Anthem.

Again, if players feel strongly about certain issues in society, then take your protest to the sources....b/c kneeling during the National Anthem was a slap in the face of all the men and women who gave their lives for this country so you would keep the opportunity to voice an opinion....in the end, as we can all see, this route isn't gaining a lot of sympathizers.

Fans who are against the kneeling during the National Anthem are viewed as racist b/c their not behind the protest. I come from a family (Father and 5 Boys) all served in the military, we're of Mexican American / Irish / Cherokee descent and at no time has anyone in our family thought kneeling during the National Anthem was the proper way to protest and we're the last folks I would classify as racist.

These athletes need to put their time and money where their knee is at. Use their image and some of that money to create educational programs for these kids. They need to be better educated on the benefits of avoiding the bad opportunities that present themselves to kids lacking an education and the possibilities life holds for those kids who take getting an education seriously.

Last edited:
A certain ineptitude in getting the pieces in place to field a winning organization on or near a consistent basis. The Oilers could've done much better and when they did...they were in Tennessee. The Texans have been on the scene for 15+ years and they're consistenlt out of sinc when it comes to getting the pieces (FO, Coaching Staff and Players) on the board at the same time. In my book, Casserly and Smith were given far too much time as GM's with piss-poor results. Both GM's had ample opportunities with Drafts that started inside the 10th pick. Bad drafts, bad FA moves and horrible cap management pretty much sums up why the Texans are in this hole today.

It looked like we were on the right track when we went 10-6 and 12-4. But then the injury to Matt happened and Kubiak's rebellions towards McNair set us back. We had a very good team with a lot of talent.

It looked like we were on the right track when we went 10-6 and 12-4. But then the injury to Matt happened and Kubiak's rebellions towards McNair set us back. We had a very good team with a lot of talent.

Don't forget, Kubiak and RS failed to re-sign some integral parts of that 10-6, 12-4 OL...they felt it was easier to replace them, than re-sign them.

kneeling during the National Anthem was a slap in the face of all the men and women who gave their lives for this country so you would keep the opportunity to voice an opinion....

So exercising the right they fought for is a slap in their face? Yeah, that totally makes sense.

By the way, the anthem is about the country not the soldiers. Where this crap came from that it is a salute to soldiers is mystifying.

Fans who are against the kneeling during the National Anthem are viewed as racist

Not true. It's the way people who oppose the protest express that opposition that gets them called racist.

Don't forget, Kubiak and RS failed to re-sign some integral parts of that 10-6, 12-4 OL...they felt it was easier to replace them, than re-sign them.

Who? The dismantling of the OL happened under OB.

If they are bad owners who put a bad product on the field, why even care that they brought this bad product back to Houston.

So exercising the right they fought for is a slap in their face? Yeah, that totally makes sense.

By the way, the anthem is about the country not the soldiers. Where this crap came from that it is a salute to soldiers is mystifying.

For the record - I don't know any soldier who fought for the right to protest at your workplace, during your work hours, without potential for repercussion from your employer (not the state).

...and yeah, I don't get the "salute to soldiers" part either.

For the record - I don't know any soldier who fought for the right to protest at your workplace, during your work hours, without potential for repercussion from your employer (not the state).

Meh, you know people confuse 1st amendment with be able to speak your mind whenever. That confusion is not all bad imo. We don't have a servile population in part because of it, even if it is a pain in the butt at times.

On the right track when they were getting blown out in Foxboro.the

If you think they were on the right track, what was the difference making move FO made to put them on the right track? Could it be that this was the only time in franchise history that the McNair's were major players, (Spent big money) in FA?

Signing JoJo/Manning

Meh, you know people confuse 1st amendment with be able to speak your mind whenever. That confusion is not all bad imo. We don't have a servile population in part because of it, even if it is a pain in the butt at times.

Can you protest in your job?

If you protest when the judge orders you not too will you be held in contempt of court?

Confusion? There's no confusion, even though some are trying their best to try and cause confusion.

Last edited:
Can you protest in your job?

Yes if your employer doesn't say otherwise. The NFL has by contract and in public said kneeling is fine.

Your no confusion assertion is silly. People yell 1st amendment all the time in private settings.

Hell you remain confused by the difference between businesses in general v. Those governed by a n CBA. They are very different.

Yes if your employer doesn't say otherwise. The NFL has by contract and in public said kneeling is fine.

Your no confusion assertion is silly. People yell 1st amendment all the time in private settings.

Hell you remain confused by the difference between businesses in general v. Those governed by a n CBA. They are very different.

And this is on God'ell's lack of leadership.

He certainly isn't doing what's best for the shield.

Maybe the govt should be run like a business and we wouldn't be passing trillions of $$$$ of debt on to our children/grandchildren.

I'm done here. I said a while back I'm not going to waste any more of my time on BS like this.

Maybe the govt should be run like a business and we wouldn't be passing trillions of $$$$ of debt on to our children/grandchildren.

What does this have to do with anything? What couldn't make a debt comment anywhere near a Donald thread so this just randomly fell out?

I'm done here. I said a while back I'm not going to waste any more of my time on BS like this.

Given that you don't like discussion, just drive-by repetition, maybe for the best to avoid politics.

If they are bad owners who put a bad product on the field, why even care that they brought this bad product back to Houston.

Like every good football fan...and I'm a Houston football fan. You can only hope the right GM and HC will eventually be uncovered. Gaine and O'Brien could be the right combination but I'll give them a little leadway in 2018 b/c of the draft hole this tandem inherited. 2019 will be a big season but in all reality, 2020 should be the season that the Texans can honestly assess this duo.

Yeah, without the military where is our country? You think it's politicians and lawyers that keep this country safe? I tie the Anthem to both....our Country and Military.

Not true. It's the way people who oppose the protest express that opposition that gets them called racist.

Who? The dismantling of the OL happened under OB.

That disconnect society seems to have with what "freedom" means and what people are actually allowed to do when they're free is weird as hell to me. People getting offended "for the soldiers" when someone does something that said soldiers were supposedly fighting to protect the right to do.... it's like I can't wrap my head around that much stupid at one time without my brain wanting to shut down.

Everything is about the soldiers now it seems and that **** needs to come to a screeching halt IMO. It's a loud, stupid, and crass kind of patriotism that means almost nothing coming from people who can't even tell that the people they're mad at are doing what the soldiers they're standing up for are supposed to be defending. Convoluted sentence I know but it's in there.

If the NFL owners really needed the stuff to stop they'd have put the money they get for having those players out on the field back on the table and said "Sorry guys this is going to be more trouble than it's worth" but then an NFL owner never once put money back on the table to my knowledge so that wasn't happening. It never needed to turn into this giant ****-show that it became.

What kind of protest?

Can I wear a green shirt to protest the killing of Earht’s rainforest?

Sure.

Until there is a no green shirt policy.

Doesn’t take away from my productivity so I’m good
Productivity is great, but if it still alienates customers it may not be enough....depending upon how productive you are. (Kaepernick vs. Rogers argument)

Yeah, without the military where is our country? You think it's politicians and lawyers that keep this country safe? I tie the Anthem to both....our Country and Military.
You mean the anthem that wasn't made official until 1931? That's 155 years after we won our independence, 144 years after the constitution was ratified, and 14 years after the U.S. formally entered WWI (for those keeping score at home).

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore, That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion A home and a Country should leave us no more? Their blood has wash'd out their foul footstep's pollution. No refuge could save the hireling and slave From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave, And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.
Yep, that's the third stanza of the Star Spangled Banner. Francis Scott Key wasn't exactly a friend to those slaves.

If Kaepernick were actually protesting the anthem itself, I'd see his point.

Fans who are against the kneeling during the National Anthem are viewed as racist b/c their not behind the protest.
I agree with this. I also think that there's a sizeable percentage who ARE racist that get the rest painted with a broad brush.

Here's my stance in a nutshell:

WHAT Kaepernick is protesting is very real. As a former CJ major, I'd have had to stick my fingers in my ears for years to deny it. The disproportionate treatment is systemic, it's nationwide, and it'll take years to correct. A few tentative first steps towards that goal have begun.

I think Kaepernick decided that the way to get his feelings "noticed" more effectively was to protest DURING the anthem. He knew full well how many folks would feel about it, irrespective of the subject being protested.

I think by bringing the collusion case against the NFL, Kaepernick wants it both ways. He wants to be seen the martyr. He wants to be seen as the guy who "took the risk", yet still wants the money that he was "risking" in the first place.

I think Kaepernicks comment "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color." cemented my feelings against his protest. Let's think about it logically. You're trying to gain the support of a country that you can't show pride in, by openly disrespecting the flag of that country? Aren't you part of that country? While this comment might be a cause for high-fives in the African-American community...those aren't the folks you're trying to "sway".

I honestly don't think Kaepernick is any more anti-cop than your average open-carry activist who thinks walking into Starbucks with an "Assault rifle" slung over his back is a great idea. Both want better cops that know the law and behave more appropriately. Both knowingly find controversial ways to get there no matter the public reaction.

I fully support any/all players who protested right after POTUS made his ill-conceived comments. A big middle finger was warranted for that inappropriate "intrusion" into THEIR game.

I don't support any player who still thinks kneeling during the anthem is a great idea. I fully support any ownership group (like the entire NBA) that doesn't want to see it. Most owners of professional sports teams own it as a personal "toy". The love the adulation of their fans. They love that they belong to an exclusive club. They have both personal and business reasons to nip something that alienates their fans in the bud.

I fully support player protests on their own time, at any public venue...including on Kirby in front of the stadium.

Productivity is great, but if it still alienates customers it may not be enough....depending upon how productive you are. (Kaepernick vs. Rogers argument).

Two sides to that coin.

Once it gets out you are against whatever cause I’m protesting you alienate a different set of customers who support that cause.

Seen a lot of people attribute the drop in ratings to people who were anti protest.

I saw TONS of people who were actively boycotting the NFL for the exact opposite reason.

Last edited:
Two sides to that coin.

Once it gets out you are against whatever cause I’m protesting you alienate a different set of customers who support that cause.

Seen a lot of people attribute the drop in ratings to people who were anti protest.

I saw TONS of people who were actively boycotting the NFL for the exact opposite reason.
True, but if you're the "root cause" of there even being a controversy at all...?

For the record, every survey I've seen regarding the drop in viewership/attendance pointed to those protests (kneeling) as being the leading cause.

That disconnect society seems to have with what "freedom" means and what people are actually allowed to do when they're free is weird as hell to me. People getting offended "for the soldiers" when someone does something that said soldiers were supposedly fighting to protect the right to do.... it's like I can't wrap my head around that much stupid at one time without my brain wanting to shut down.

Everything is about the soldiers now it seems and that **** needs to come to a screeching halt IMO. It's a loud, stupid, and crass kind of patriotism that means almost nothing coming from people who can't even tell that the people they're mad at are doing what the soldiers they're standing up for are supposed to be defending. Convoluted sentence I know but it's in there.

If the NFL owners really needed the stuff to stop they'd have put the money they get for having those players out on the field back on the table and said "Sorry guys this is going to be more trouble than it's worth" but then an NFL owner never once put money back on the table to my knowledge so that wasn't happening. It never needed to turn into this giant ****-show that it became.

Sometimes I wish I could find an uninhabited island to live on. Just me, a pack of dogs, and a couple of reasonable individuals.

That’s your definition of root cause. I’d say the root cause is the issue being protested against.
While true, that isn't how the customer (fans) will view it.

Put differently, the NFL itself wasn't the root cause of Kaepernick's protests. Nor were the 49'ers.

As they state, it's a theory. It doesn't show any poll conducted by Reuters, etc. to support the hypothesis.

While true, that isn't how the customer (fans) will view it.

Put differently, the NFL itself wasn't the root cause of Kaepernick protests. Nor were the 49'ers.

Which brings me back to there being two sides to that coin. Whether or not the nfl is the root cause in inconsequential to the action itself.

As they state, it's a theory. It doesn't show any poll conducted by Reuters, etc. to support the hypothesis.

I find that theory to be about as reliable as a poll done where only a relatively small segment were questioned.

Which brings me back to there being two sides to that coin. Whether or not the nfl is the root cause in inconsequential to the action itself.
That's your perception. That may not be the perception of most fans.

I find that theory to be about as reliable as a poll done where only a relatively small segment were questioned.
Ay-yi-yi.

Tons have been polled, but not all polls ask why folks aren't watching anymore.

Link for overview of several polls, broken down by demographics and question methodology. - https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...t-the-nfl-protests-it-depends-on-how-you-ask/

Here's links on the "why's" - http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...re_americans_tuning_out_the_nfl_over_protests

http://blogs.shu.edu/sportspoll/201...t-of-factors-led-by-national-anthem-protests/

That's your perception. That may not be the perception of most fans.

I don’t even think it’s a thought that enters most people’s minds because it’s understood. No one thinks the NFL caused Kaepernick to take a knee.

As far as the polls go, I stick to my original assertion.

I wonder what kind of personality Cal McNair has? Any inside info on him? I’d like to at least have an idea of he’s a straight business, no B.S type of dude, or just a pushover like his old man? Or at least that’s Howe Bob comes off as...

I wonder what kind of personality Cal McNair has? Any inside info on him? I’d like to at least have an idea of he’s a straight business, no B.S type of dude, or just a pushover like his old man? Or at least that’s Howe Bob comes off as...

Life's good when you have a couple of bil.

WhiteOut9-8-12_263.jpg

012_Texans_Owners_Suite_September_2012_Joanna_Hartland_Cal_McNair_Hannah_McNair.jpg

Love the hand-check.

Money draws attractive chicks.. WOW, shocker!
(BTW..all too skinny for me.)

And we're only supposed to rain hell on the guy? That wasn't a "hand check" Cerberus..she thought he was handing over a check book.

I'm just asking here. Welcome to the power of the almighty dollar where there's snakes all around, lying on both sides of the sex debate.

Good for Cal...he probably wouldn't get laid without "my Daddy" anyways. Just sayin

Last edited:

I disagree with idea that Bob McNair came off as a pushover, but that is not the point of bumping this...

We can now see how Cal comes off w/o the backdrop of his father being around. Apparently, he has been involved heavily, especially in the last year, more than the public has been privy to seeing. Still, I have not seen much in the way of Cal's personality in his limited public utterances. This is what was asked for in the original post, so let's see how it goes.

I disagree with idea that Bob McNair came off as a pushover, but that is not the point of bumping this...

We can now see how Cal comes off w/o the backdrop of his father being around. Apparently, he has been involved heavily, especially in the last year, more than the public has been privy to seeing. Still, I have not seen much in the way of Cal's personality in his limited public utterances. This is what was asked for in the original post, so let's see how it goes.
Well, the moves made from the last off-season to now have been pretty damn good. We’ll see how the next offseason goes, we should have a clearer picture then.

Back