Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is It time to fire David Culley after 1 year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It worked for the Stros.

Luhnow got talent in place then hired the manager to manage the talent he had groomed.

I've got no issue with Caserio doing the same exact thing. BTW, Minute Maid was a Ghost Town. Not so much now.
Baseball is a different game. You have a farm system that has nothing to do with the manager.

Football you’re dealing with 4 year contracts. The main thing the HC has to do is teach these young guys to come in & be pros. If you have a cheerleader leading your team, your HC has to come in & weed out 3 years of drafted players & start building his core again.

If the Texans aren’t building their core now, they’re wasting their time. Your time.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Sources: Patriots' Josh McDaniels 'Top Candidate' in Houston if Texans Fire David Culley
Sources: Organization will thoroughly evaluate David Culley, coaching staff

AARON WILSON - SPECIAL TO TEXANSDAILY
5 HOURS AGO

HOUSTON - The Houston Texans are expected to conduct a thorough evaluation of first-year head coach David Culley and the coaching staff to determine their respective statuses following the AFC South franchise's season finale Sunday against the Tennessee Titans, according to league sources not authorized to speak publicly.

The detailed review is expected to take into account everything about Culley and the coaches' performance and how they operated in a difficult rebuilding situation with an overhauled roster.
According to a league source, if Houston fires Culley then New England Patriots' offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels could emerge as a top potential candidate to be the team's next head coach. McDaniels, if he decides to leave New England, could be a strong head coaching candidate for multiple potential vacancies based on his track record and his success developing Patriots rookie quarterback Mac Jones.

The Texans are 4-12 with one game remaining in the season in Culley's first year as a head coach at any level. They finished with an identical record last year under former coach and general manager Bill O'Brien, who was fired after an 0-4 start in 2020. He is now the Alabama offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach and set to interview for the Jacksonville Jaguars' head coaching position. Romeo Crennel, who finished 4-8 last season as the interim coach, is now the Texans' senior advisor of football performance.

A career assistant who previously worked for Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh as assistant head coach, passing game coordinator and receivers coach and an assistant coach under Andy Reid with the Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles, Culley, 66, has earned respect for his leadership. He has acknowledged some growing pains with game management, referencing decisions he wishes he could have back in a narrow loss to the Patriots.

"I've learned to be ahead of those things," Culley said this month. "I just feel more comfortable doing those kinds of things, and we’re growing as we go."

The Texans have won two of their past three games, including an impressive upset victory over the heavily favored Los Angeles Chargers and Pro Bowl quarterback Justin Herbert. The Texans rank 30th in scoring offense (averaging just 15.9 points per game) and have the NFL's worst rushing offense and 29th-ranked defense.
THE REST OF THE STORY

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Baseball is a different game. You have a farm system that has nothing to do with the manager.

Football you’re dealing with 4 year contracts. The main thing the HC has to do is teach these young guys to come in & be pros. If you have a cheerleader leading your team, your HC has to come in & weed out 3 years of drafted players & start building his core again.

If the Texans aren’t building their core now, they’re wasting their time. Your time.
They're building for the future. The rebuild is just getting started. Caserio is building for the next HC. A 65 yr old HC isn't the long term guy.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Sources: Patriots' Josh McDaniels 'Top Candidate' in Houston if Texans Fire David Culley
Sources: Organization will thoroughly evaluate David Culley, coaching staff

AARON WILSON - SPECIAL TO TEXANSDAILY
5 HOURS AGO

HOUSTON - The Houston Texans are expected to conduct a thorough evaluation of first-year head coach David Culley and the coaching staff to determine their respective statuses following the AFC South franchise's season finale Sunday against the Tennessee Titans, according to league sources not authorized to speak publicly.

The detailed review is expected to take into account everything about Culley and the coaches' performance and how they operated in a difficult rebuilding situation with an overhauled roster.
According to a league source, if Houston fires Culley then New England Patriots' offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels could emerge as a top potential candidate to be the team's next head coach. McDaniels, if he decides to leave New England, could be a strong head coaching candidate for multiple potential vacancies based on his track record and his success developing Patriots rookie quarterback Mac Jones.

The Texans are 4-12 with one game remaining in the season in Culley's first year as a head coach at any level. They finished with an identical record last year under former coach and general manager Bill O'Brien, who was fired after an 0-4 start in 2020. He is now the Alabama offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach and set to interview for the Jacksonville Jaguars' head coaching position. Romeo Crennel, who finished 4-8 last season as the interim coach, is now the Texans' senior advisor of football performance.

A career assistant who previously worked for Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh as assistant head coach, passing game coordinator and receivers coach and an assistant coach under Andy Reid with the Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles, Culley, 66, has earned respect for his leadership. He has acknowledged some growing pains with game management, referencing decisions he wishes he could have back in a narrow loss to the Patriots.

"I've learned to be ahead of those things," Culley said this month. "I just feel more comfortable doing those kinds of things, and we’re growing as we go."

The Texans have won two of their past three games, including an impressive upset victory over the heavily favored Los Angeles Chargers and Pro Bowl quarterback Justin Herbert. The Texans rank 30th in scoring offense (averaging just 15.9 points per game) and have the NFL's worst rushing offense and 29th-ranked defense.
THE REST OF THE STORY
What have you been hearing?

Sounds like Josh was going to give Belichick one more year to decide to retire.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They're building for the future. The rebuild is just getting started. Caserio is building for the next HC. A 65 yr old HC isn't the long term guy.
Just plain stupid no matter how you look at it.

Only way it makes sense to me is if Josh was hoping Belichick would retire after this season. Otherwise he should have come with Caserio

wildroot

Rookie
If McDaniel stays in NE he'll have a job for the next 20 yrs as BB has had. I don't see him leaving and getting on a 20 year coaching carousel going from team to team when he'll have good stable deal in NE.
Culley on the other hand, I think it would be shitty to fire the guy, he's been a Team player, said all the right things, pretty much stayed out of trouble all year. If they do plan to replace him, give him a Player Relations type of job/front office gig, all the players seem to like him. That way he can fade out gracefully into retirement over the next few years. Financially he's been set up for life by the McNairs... so he's got no worries! I wouldn't embarass the man though.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Just plain stupid no matter how you look at it.

Only way it makes sense to me is if Josh was hoping Belichick would retire after this season. Otherwise he should have come with Caserio
Seeing how McDaniels left the Colts at the altar after they hired members of his future coaching staff. Belichick has two sons on the Pats' coaching staff. It would be hilarious if given enough time, they leapfrog McDaniels in the HC pecking order?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Sarah Barshop (@sarahbarshop) Tweeted:
Brian Flores has worked with several people in the Texans’ front office, including GM Nick Caserio.
Pointing out the obvious. But makes everything a little more interesting.
Flores needs a strong OC that can allow him to focus just on defense. Like Wade was for Kubiak.

Now Mcdaniels as HC and Flores to DC… that would be interesting!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I’m listening to 610 (which I don’t normally do this early) & these guys are talking like David Culley should have felt his job is in jeopardy.

I don’t understand. McNair’s have been extremely generous & patient with their 1st time HCs. Most of the league has been generous with 1st time HCs.

He’s signed for 5 years.

Same thing with the press conference yesterday. Everyone asked him about returning next season. The players were even asked.

I understand that many want him gone. I understand Caserio may have a plan they’ve been working on. But I really think the conversation is premature

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I'm glad McCulley has had an old head In Lovie to lean on.
Now we need TK gone and bring a savvy vet OC on board.

Dejaview

All Pro
I’m listening to 610 (which I don’t normally do this early) & these guys are talking like David Culley should have felt his job is in jeopardy.

I don’t understand. McNair’s have been extremely generous & patient with their 1st time HCs. Most of the league has been generous with 1st time HCs.

He’s signed for 5 years.

Same thing with the press conference yesterday. Everyone asked him about returning next season. The players were even asked.

I understand that many want him gone. I understand Caserio may have a plan they’ve been working on. But I really think the conversation is premature
The results this year were pretty much given by the circumstances, but I found it refreshing to see the team moving in a more transparent and professional manner than in the last few years. Even some of the Houston media bashing seems to be slowing down. A good draft given the lack of picks and the emerging promise of DM has helped. Culley hasn’t failed his way out of a job IMO especially given the rebuilding that will go on in earnest next year.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
The decision on Culley will come as soon as the Patriots are finished with the playoffs. I believe Lucky mentioned this upstream but I concur with his line of thinking. As he also mentioned….should McDaniels decide he’d like to take the Texans HC’ing offer, he can do so b/c he’d be accepting a HC offer versus moving to a new team as OC.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Would firing Culley and hiring Flores for HC allow for a scenario where Watson stays and plays for Houston? Would you want that?

I would want that for one reason and one reason only: reading @steelbtexan posts for the month following would be very entertaining. Would that be enough for SBT to turn on the File Clerk?

That said, this is not going to happen. As much as DW4 wants to be gone, Janice and Game Boy want him gone more.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I would want that for one reason and one reason only: reading @steelbtexan posts for the month following would be very entertaining. Would that be enough for SBT to turn on the File Clerk?

That said, this is not going to happen. As much as DW4 wants to be gone, Janice and Game Boy want him gone more.
Depends on if Flores could find a great developer of QB's and an OC to keep Mills and the offense on the right track. In Miami he wasn't able to accomplish this. So you're right I would be opposed to Flores. If he was hired as a fan of the Texans I would hope that Flores would get it right this time if he was hired.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

So at best no one has given direct indication that Culley needs to be worried about his job.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Can't make a decision on Culley until New England is bounced from the playoffs and McDaniels makes up his mind.
Sure he's gonna get fired at some point time: my guess is this will happen sometime shortly afer the conclusion of the 2022 NFL season.
So what, why's that a story ?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The decision on Culley will come as soon as the Patriots are finished with the playoffs. I believe Lucky mentioned this upstream but I concur with his line of thinking. As he also mentioned….should McDaniels
they should already know. Supposedly this was the plan when they hired Culley.

texanhead08

All Pro
Even if the Texans hit home runs on every draft choice they are no where close to winning. There is no reason to fire Culley this year, but the team needs to show improvement next season.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Depends on if Flores could find a great developer of QB's and an OC to keep Mills and the offense on the right track. In Miami he wasn't able to accomplish this. So you're right I would be opposed to Flores. If he was hired as a fan of the Texans I would hope that Flores would get it right this time if he was hired.
I don't get the Flores love. He was a defensive assistant in New England. Which means he did what Belichick told him to do. And he's been a mediocre HC in Miami. Like a poor man's Bill O'Brien.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I don't get the Flores love. He was a defensive assistant in New England. Which means he did what Belichick told him to do. And he's been a mediocre HC in Miami. Like a poor man's Bill O'Brien.
He got the Dolphins to 10-6 his second year in Miami; the Dolphins finished the season winning 8 out of 9 games; he's only 40 years old.

If the Texans do fire Culley, I'd like it if Flores was one of the people the Texans consider for the job. He's very different than the last 3 coaches the Texans have hired as GM. I'd prefer a defensive minded head coach. O'Brien was supposed to be an offensive guru but his offenses were pretty bad. Kubiak was a former NFL quarterback and OC. Culley was a wide receiver coach. Let's go a different direction.

For the record, Robert Saleh, a former defensive coordinator was on my short list last year because he's young and had great success with the defense in San Fran.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I think Flores excelled with a lame QB situation and in a tough division. Does it warrant trading in Culley for Flores? Not sure. And I think Lovie earned the role as DC still. He did a fantastic job with the limited talent he had IMO.

The entire offensive staff should be reshuffled no matter what. Focus heavily in the front half of the draft on offensive talent.

the question should be, do we trust Culley to take on young players and help mentor them into stars? Because that's what we currently need as HC. Not a super bowl bound HC, but a coach that can mold players and help them grow into the NFL. I am not sure I trust him in that role.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
He got the Dolphins to 10-6 his second year in Miami; the Dolphins finished the season winning 8 out of 9 games; he's only 40 years old.
I think Flores excelled with a lame QB situation and in a tough division.
The Dolphins were 6-14 vs winning teams under Flores. He had 3 years to get the Dolphins in the playoffs, and failed. Even O'Brien got the Texans in the playoffs in 3 years. Maybe Flores gets another shot. Hopefully, not here.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
If McDaniel stays in NE he'll have a job for the next 20 yrs as BB has had. I don't see him leaving and getting on a 20 year coaching carousel going from team to team when he'll have good stable deal in NE.
Culley on the other hand, I think it would be shitty to fire the guy, he's been a Team player, said all the right things, pretty much stayed out of trouble all year. If they do plan to replace him, give him a Player Relations type of job/front office gig, all the players seem to like him. That way he can fade out gracefully into retirement over the next few years. Financially he's been set up for life by the McNairs... so he's got no worries! I wouldn't embarass the man though.
There's no such thing as "in NE he'll have a job for the next 20 yrs" in the NFL unless you produce like BB did with TB. He might have a longer leash in NE than someone else, but if it's not working out, he'll be out in 5-6 years.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Elevate Pep to OC if that keeps him. He did a better job with Mills then TK did with the offense. The loyalty to TK is something I cannot understand, if they self scout they must see it or all of us are missing something like DC demands x runs per drive or something so he is handcuffed? I dont think that is the case, and I want someone that focuses on simplicity and execution. A well executed / called offense is hard to stop, especially if they beef up the OL and RB positions

Status
Not open for further replies.