Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is It time to fire David Culley after 1 year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 5 year contract

His golden parachute to take the job for a season….at his age and before retirement. The tandem of Culley and Kelly couldn’t lure Watson back to the Texans so for all intensive purposes the Texans have no further need for their services beyond this season…since Watson should be traded before the draft as well.

Culley expected to be back. Will be announced next Monday….
IMO, Culley wasn't hired to win football games but rather to help stabilize an organization that was bleeding from every orifice with negativity and distrust - and in that regard he has succeeded. I can tolerate 1 more year of Culley as HC if for no other reason than to further stabilize the organization.
It amazes me that a coach with almost 30 years experience in the NFL makes some of the head scratching decisions he does. He is definitely not someone I think is capable of leading a team to the SB.

IMO, Culley wasn't hired to win football games but rather to help stabilize an organization that was bleeding from every orifice with negativity and distrust - and in that regard he has succeeded.
Has he though? Culley has had a lot of disciplinary issues. How many players have been suspended, cut, and traded? Every new HC gets rid of guys, so it's not that big of a deal. But, giving him credit with healing an organization that still looks very much in flux is premature, at best.

Has he though? Culley has had a lot of disciplinary issues. How many players have been suspended, cut, and traded? Every new HC gets rid of guys, so it's not that big of a deal. But, giving him credit with healing an organization that still looks very much in flux is premature, at best.

There's not much you can do with the pile of crap called the Texans, this year or next year. However, next year is going to be a true test. We'll win four this year (I don't think we'll beat the Titans next week) so if everything goes at least above average, we should win 7 or 8 in 2022. If not, then look for more sh!t on the proverbial fan.

Culley's job is to flush the toilet of guys that aren't willing to buy into the new way things are being done down on Kirby. This will continue next season as well. Out with the old and in with the new. As it should be when you've inherited a 4-12 team. Culley appears to be doing his job quite well. The team is still playing hard een in a lost season.

There's not much you can do with the pile of crap called the Texans, this year or next year. However, next year is going to be a true test. We'll win four this year (I don't think we'll beat the Titans next week) so if everything goes at least above average, we should win 7 or 8 in 2022. If not, then look for more sh!t on the proverbial fan.

I'll have to see next yrs schedule before making a prediction on next yrs record. But I would think between 6-7 wins should be about right for a rebuilding team that's ascending with a young QB. Yr 2 of the rebuild.

I'll have to see next yrs schedule before making a prediction on next yrs record. But I would think between 6-7 wins should be about right for a rebuilding team that's ascending with a young QB. Yr 2 of the rebuild.

Home
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Tennessee Titans
Kansas City Chiefs
Los Angeles Chargers
Philadelphia Eagles
Washington Football Team
AFC North TBD

Away
Dallas Cowboys
Denver Broncos
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Las Vegas Raiders
New York Giants
Tennessee Titans
AFC East TBD
NFC North TBD

Culley's job is to flush the toilet of guys that aren't willing to buy into the new way things are being done down on Kirby. This will continue next season as well. Out with the old and in with the new. As it should be when you've inherited a 4-12 team. Culley appears to be doing his job quite well. The team is still playing hard een in a lost season.
Some of the guys flushed were brought in by Caserio. Playing hard is subjective. Romeo had the Texans playing hard at the end of last season.

I don't know what to give Culley credit for. Pep coached Mills up. Lovie got the defense at least interested in turnovers. What has Culley done, other than botch decisions and give bewildering press conferences? He's a joke head coach. And one that the Texans will have to live with another season.

Some of the guys flushed were brought in by Caserio. Playing hard is subjective. Romeo had the Texans playing hard at the end of last season.

I don't know what to give Culley credit for. Pep coached Mills up. Lovie got the defense at least interested in turnovers. What has Culley done, other than botch decisions and give bewildering press conferences? He's a joke head coach. And one that the Texans will have to live with another season.

You bring in as many guys as you can and you keep the ones that can play and flush the rest. Seems like a sound strategy to me.

Agreed about Culley, atleast he's got some good assistant coaches. Culley's serving his purpose at the beginning of a full rebuild and will be paid quite handsomely for taking the heat during these times for his service. Rightfully so. IMHO

Home
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Tennessee Titans
Kansas City Chiefs
Los Angeles Chargers
Philadelphia Eagles
Washington Football Team
AFC North TBD

Away
Dallas Cowboys
Denver Broncos
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Las Vegas Raiders
New York Giants
Tennessee Titans
AFC East TBD
NFC North TBD

I can see 6 maybe 7 wins depending on how the offseason goes and how many injuries they have next yr.

I can see 6 maybe 7 wins depending on how the offseason goes and how many injuries they have next yr.

If they get a real OC next year and not bring back the numbskull they got now, I can see 6 to 8 wins next year. I predicted 3 to 5 for this year, and I'll hit that. But there's to much road to travel between now and then, but they should improve on their win total from this year. Hopefully.

Wait, the Texans are going to finish 3rd in the AFC South. So they will be playing the 3rd place teams in those divisions. So that will likely be the Steelers or Ravens in the AFC North (not the Browns), and the Dolphins in the AFC East and the Bears in the NFC North.
You are right, I had forgot about the Jags

Wait, I’ve got to see the draft…..then I need to see if Culley and Kelly are coming back next season before I can think about how many wins the Texans could get in 2022.

Last edited:
Why are you so sure about this? I'd put my money on him NOT returning.
Not efficient. If you bring in a new OC, he is going to want to implement his own offense and playbook. This retards Mills developement. Then when Culley is let go in a year or two, the new HC is going to want to hire his own OC, meaning a third system and playbook, which further sets back Mills' developement. So I'm guessing Kelly will be here as long as Culley is here.

I’m pretty sure that if Kelly is to be let go, both Nick and Jack will still be here. They ain’t no package deal.
It's Nick and Jack that would be giving Kelly his walking papers. And if you think their agent doesn't have influence (who got Jack $3 million/year & Nick $30 million), well you're beig naive. Don't count on Kelly going anywhere but back on Kirby.

John McClain is on 610 and made several interesting comments. He thinks Culley deserves another year because it's not his fault the talent level on the roster is below average. He doesn't think any other HC could have gotten more than four wins out of this roster.

He posed the question that if Culley is fired. Who would they hire that will let Caserio and Easterby have the same control they have over the organization (e.g., Culley (HC), the coaching staff and roster)? He mentioned Easterby loves Josh McCown. However, whoever is the next HC, the team will be run from the top down (Caserio and Easterby) and although this will turn off certain candidates, an NFL HC job is so coveted that they will find someone willing to work within those parameters.

If the primary hiring criteria is getting a HC that allows "NickerBy" total control. If Sean Payton or Andy Reid is available, would they even consider hiring them? If that's the case. Does it matter if Culley is here next year or 3 years from now?

John McClain is on 610 and made several interesting comments. He thinks Culley deserves another year because it's not his fault the talent level on the roster is below average. He doesn't think any other HC could have gotten more than four wins out of this roster.

He posed the question that if Culley is fired. Who would they hire that will let Caserio and Easterby have the same control they have over the organization (e.g., Culley (HC), the coaching staff and roster)? He mentioned Easterby loves Josh McCown. However, whoever is the next HC, the team will be run from the top down (Caserio and Easterby) and although this will turn off certain candidates, an NFL HC job is so coveted that they will find someone willing to work within those parameters.

If the primary hiring criteria is getting a HC that allows "NickerBy" total control. If Sean Payton or Andy Reid is available, would they even consider hiring them? If that's the case. Does it matter if Culley is here next year or 3 years from now?

To the bolded, finally something I agree with Pancakes on. But there’s more to it than just that. Sure, no other HC they could have hired would have had much different results, but there’s another reason why it was Culley, a man who’s never been on anybody’s radar ever. They needed a sock puppet to stand at the podium, put on a smile, say how excited he is for the opportunity, shoot rainbows from his fingertips, and do whatever it is they tell him to do, while they do whatever is it they’re doing.

Never, ever believed Culley would not be the HC here in 2022, once that reality set in.

I also don’t believe for a second that Culley will see the end of his contract. In fact, him being here in 2023 or not depends on if the rebuild truly gets started this offseason, and how much progress looks to be taking place with it.

Still believe the next HC is McDaniels, but what I wonder is if they screw around with that long enough to lose out on him.

To the bolded, finally something I agree with Pancakes on. But there’s more to it than just that. Sure, no other HC they could have hired would have had much different results, but there’s another reason why it was Culley, a man who’s never been on anybody’s radar ever. They needed a sock puppet to stand at the podium, put on a smile, say how excited he is for the opportunity, shoot rainbows from his fingertips, and do whatever it is they tell him to do, while they do whatever is it they’re doing.

Never, ever believed Culley would not be the HC here in 2022, once that reality set in.

I also don’t believe for a second that Culley will see the end of his contract. In fact, him being here in 2023 or not depends on if the rebuild truly gets started this offseason, and how much progress looks to be taking place with it.

Still believe the next HC is McDaniels, but what I wonder is if they screw around with that long enough to lose out on him.

I guess your post is a potential answer to a question I have. Why didn't they just go ahead and hire McDaniels? Did they decide to hire Culley to face the losing while they restock the roster from the Watson trade and draft and then set the table for their buddy (McDaniels). Based on how McDaniels left the Colts and the coaches they hired for him holding the bag, he probably doesn't want a job at the start of the rebuilding process.

Also, if they want to hire Josh McCown, they set him up for success with an upgraded roster, face the criticism for hiring a guy without any coaching experience and then hope the wins silence their critics.

It's Nick and Jack that would be giving Kelly his walking papers. And if you think their agent doesn't have influence (who got Jack $3 million/year & Nick $30 million), well you're beig naive. Don't count on Kelly going anywhere but back on Kirby.

We will see.

I guess your post is a potential answer to a question I have. Why didn't they just go ahead and hire McDaniels? Did they decide to hire Culley to face the losing while they restock the roster from the Watson trade and draft and then set the table for their buddy (McDaniels). Based on how McDaniels left the Colts and the coaches they hired for him holding the bag, he probably doesn't want a job at the start of the rebuilding process.

Also, if they want to hire Josh McCown, they set him up for success with an upgraded roster, face the criticism for hiring a guy without any coaching experience and then hope the wins silence their critics.

This is exactly what is happening. IMHO

The difference from the Texans situation and the Colts situation is after talent is added in the next 2 drafts. (It's my belief McDaniels will be hired before the 2023 draft.) McDaniels will know if Mills is the future at QB and if he is then McDaniels will want to join his roomate in college (Caserio) and his brother down on Kirby. This will also satisfy the McNair's family 1st culture that they seem to be thoroughly embracing.

This is exactly what is happening. IMHO

The difference from the Texans situation and the Colts situation is after talent is added in the next 2 drafts. (It's my belief McDaniels will be hired before the 2023 draft.) McDaniels will know if Mills is the future at QB and if he is then McDaniels will want to join his roomate in college (Caserio) and his brother down on Kirby. This will also satisfy the McNair's family 1st culture that they seem to be thoroughly embracing.
So the Texans are not an NFL team. They went from a PR firm to a clubhouse for John Carrol University alumni and their friends.

None of this makes sense to me. If the big draw for McDaniels is to work with his BFF then waiting until some other coach screws up your draft picks don’t make sense.

he could have came on a 6 year deal with no expectations to win his first three years & be the most secure coach in the entire league.

Whether it’s McDaniels, Eberflus, or Mayo.

None of this makes sense to me. If the big draw for McDaniels is to work with his BFF then waiting until some other coach screws up your draft picks don’t make sense.

he could have came on a 6 year deal with no expectations to win his first three years & be the most secure coach in the entire league.

Whether it’s McDaniels, Eberflus, or Mayo.
You're not taking ego into account. McDaniels wouldn't want to come in and be percieved as a loser for even 1 year, much less 3 years

I agree, to this point I doubt any other head coach could have coaxed more than 4 wins out of this team. That said, the Texans didn't win four games because of anything Culley did. They won four games because Lovie Smith got the absolute most out of the defense. And I say that out of new-found respect for Lovie - initially I thought he was a bad hire. He may still turn out to be a bad hire in the end. But for this season, he helped cover up the bumbling duo of Culley and Kelly. He couldn't completely cover it up and I anticipate Kelly will lose his job. He had the better talent and was totally outshined by his counterpart on the other side of the ball. The offense was absolutely dreadful most of the season.

Culley for his part looked way out of his depth. The job looked too big for him. It wouldn't surprise me either way if he keeps his job. If he keeps it for 2022, I believe it will be a short-lived reprieve. He could go the way of O'Brien, fired in-season.

Those alumni happen to have quite a few pieces of jewelry. More jewelry in the future that I would like to see have a Texans logo on those rings.
Let me know how many of those pieces of jewelry they won without Brady or Belichick and then I can fully endorse the John Carroll Culture Club @ NRG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back