Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is It time to fire David Culley after 1 year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my mind, the Belichick coaching tree looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree before they decorated it. lol

View attachment 9518

I think today's Astros fans will now be a lot more devoted since they've brought a World Series championship to the city, and they seem to be able to field a competitive team every year. It gives fans hope and allows them to believe in the front office, which is something Houston football fans have not felt in a long, long time. lol

I think the media roots for chaos, simply because it helps drive ratings to increase revenue. It's purely self serving.

I think it's bush league to fire a coach after one season, especially under the circumstances of the 2021 Texans. But, honestly, bush league is about what I expect from these owners at this point.

Cal's been in that building and FO for a while now & much like his dad i don't believe that his approach has ever been to meddle or be aloof to what's going on. You hire guys and you let them do what they do. Unfortunately with BoB/DW4 it has come off to fans as him being incompetent & subsequently backfired on him...but i don't think it has deterred him in his overall approach. We used to hear BoB say it alot..."doing what's best for the team"....but i don't think he meant it....at the very least i think at some point it changed from that to something else. I say that only to say that i believe with NC, i believe that will always be the case and Cal's approach will work in favor much better than it did with BoB.

Have the Texans fired Culley? I'm not aware that they have. If they are going to fire him, what's the hold up? Everyone else looking for new HC knew the day the season ended they would fire their HC. Why is the File Clerk so conflicted? The Process?

Probably waiting until after this weekends games to make the move.

The fact that Culley/Staff aren't coaching the Sr Bowl speaks volumes.

Be patient, change will be happening soon.

Cal's been in that building and FO for a while now & much like his dad i don't believe that his approach has ever been to meddle or be aloof to what's going on. You hire guys and you let them do what they do. Unfortunately with BoB/DW4 it has come off to fans as him being incompetent & subsequently backfired on him...but i don't think it has deterred him in his overall approach. We used to hear BoB say it alot..."doing what's best for the team"....but i don't think he meant it....at the very least i think at some point it changed from that to something else. I say that only to say that i believe with NC, i believe that will always be the case and Cal's approach will work in favor much better than it did with BoB.

Cal is probably learning on the job. Hiring NC was a big part of it. For instance, I doubt Nick would've made the Nuk trade without significant return, and I doubt he'd ever tell his QB that he gets a voice in the hiring of a head coach. Those were boneheaded McNair-influenced decisions by all apparent accounts.

And hopefully NC is a strong front office presence that takes things into consideration but rules more like a dictator than a finger-to-the-wind executive. Previously, there were too many cooks in the kitchen and not the typical streamlined power structure that you see in championship franchises.

Cal is probably learning on the job. Hiring NC was a big part of it. For instance, I doubt Nick would've made the Nuk trade without significant return, and I doubt he'd ever tell his QB that he gets a voice in the hiring of a head coach. Those were boneheaded McNair-influenced decisions by all apparent accounts.

And hopefully NC is a strong front office presence that takes things into consideration but rules more like a dictator than a finger-to-the-wind executive. Previously, there were too many cooks in the kitchen and not the typical streamlined power structure that you see in championship franchises.

Agree mostly...but b/c so much has happened with DW4 since that dinner meeting, we don't know if that's something that was actually ever told to DW4 & we don't know in what role Cal ever played in that other than meeting with him for dinner & then trying to reach out to him after the %$#^ hit the fan. Mostly all of that that was allegedly told to DW4 is spec.................... by the media. I too think there's strong evidence that the Nuk trade was 90% a BoB decision...1 that Cal might have been informed of by BoB before he made it...but b/c the McNairs' approach is to trust the people they have in place for the job, the optics make it appear that he was asleep at the wheel & was ok with it. Further Cal is the face of the McNair's as we know them, but Janice is technically the ranking owner. So both decisions could've been a case where Cal didn't like the decisions and would've stopped or not made them, but his mom overruled him.

We'll just never know honestly.

I know his name comes up every year, but what about Jim Harbaugh to the Texans?

I would love to have a guy with his history of results in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anger? LMAO, I dont know where you thought I got that emotion from. It's not my money and it doesn't affect the cap, so I truly dont care. I'm sure Caserio laid out his plan to Cal before he hired a 65 yr old HC. I think the plan was to hire Culley for a couple of yrs, build the team up and then hire the HC that Caserio wanted from the beginning of this rebuild. (I cant prove this) However, whoever Caserio wants must be interviewing for another HC position so that sped up the timeline for letting Culley go. Caserio doesn't want to lose out on his guy. The cost of the sped up timeline is probably between 3-5 mil.

Basically Culley's going to get paid between 5-10 mil for his placeholder status. I'm sure Caserio has his guy that he wants to hire in mind. The question is if Cal is willing to pay the freight of paying off Culley and paying top dollar for Caserio's 1st choice? Nothing so far makes me think Cal wont be willing to pay the freight. I hope I'm right or that attitude of cheapness will doom this franchise.
I agree this is the likely case. I just hope they don't fall into a scenario where they fail to sign their first, or even their second, choice; and will be in a position where the public appearance is one that they may be settling on another interim coach. What HC, what position coaches, would be willing to come in under that possibility, knowing what had just happened with Culley?

Have the Texans fired Culley? I'm not aware that they have. If they are going to fire him, what's the hold up? Everyone else looking for new HC knew the day the season ended they would fire their HC. Why is the File Clerk so conflicted? The Process?
Good question.

On the one hand I confirm Culley was hired to try to keep Watson. That ship has sailed. If it makes sense to move on from Tim Kelly who was held for the same reason, then it makes sense to dump Culley since Watson is not part of the Texans future.

But, the WR, QB, Tackles seem to have developed well imo. Well enough to keep a lame duck? I don’t think it’s even close.

maybe they trying to determine if they want to promote Lovie for continuity or go with a buddy who has a bad plan for DC.

Probably waiting until after this weekends games to make the move.

The fact that Culley/Staff aren't coaching the Sr Bowl speaks volumes.

Be patient, change will be happening soon.
Indecisive is typical Kirby Boardroom behavior. At what point do you think Janice, Game Boy and the siblings become completely unglued for pouring their money down the drain? If you're going to fire him, FIRE HIM! This wait and see game is only making things worse. You would think that the triumvirate of Game Boy, The Preacher Man and the File Clerk, and their close relationship with McDaniels, they would've already had this figured out. The fact they don't and the way they are handling this wreaks of rank amateurism and a continuation of showing the world they still do not know what they are doing.

Last edited:
Good question.

On the one hand I confirm Culley was hired to try to keep Watson. That ship has sailed. If it makes sense to move on from Tim Kelly who was held for the same reason, then it makes sense to dump Culley since Watson is not part of the Texans future.

But, the WR, QB, Tackles seem to have developed well imo. Well enough to keep a lame duck? I don’t think it’s even close.

maybe they trying to determine if they want to promote Lovie for continuity or go with a buddy who has a bad plan for DC.
Why promote Lovie? You have a DC who you believe in and an awful OC. Hire the best OC you believe in as HC and you get to pick who you want. At least McDaniels has been an unmitigated success in Boston as opposed to OBrien where it’s doubtful how important he was. J Mac has been there a looooong time.
Not that I like the EP New England south route but I am resigned to us sticking to it for now and think McDaniels is the most likely of all Belichick disciples to have success.

Uh Oh, the puppet did not puppet. Sounds like the dog ate my homework excuses to me. Less than 48 hours after the season ended the Kirby clown show picks up right where it left off. If you liked the 2021 FUBARS, you're going to love the 2022 FUBARS. Is there a better message to send out to perspective HCs than if your message doesn't agree with the Great and All Powerful Oz you will be fed to the Flying Green Monkeys.

Last edited:
I guess Caserio didn't think he needed to have Culley keep the headset on during his press conferences.

They unplugged it like Jack Pardee. lol

Culley might just be just as happy to take the nice retirement egg and run far from this nonsense. You rarely see a first year head coach on a five year deal left out to dry like this, but perhaps that's just because most of us football fans tend not to watch other teams in dysfunctional tailspins.

At what point do you think Janice, Game Boy and the siblings become completely unglued for pouring their money down the drain?

You would think that the triumvirate of Game Boy, The Preacher Man and the File Clerk, and their close relationship with McDaniels, they would've already had this figured out.
I think you're on the right track, but haven't pieced it together. Nick and Jack have it figured out. And they've talked Kyle into it (begrudgingly). Dump Culley and hire McDaniels. The issue is talking the other McNairs into their plan.

Eating more $millions while having to slash ticket prices and concessions? The other McNairs are into this for the $$$$. This is the family business. Hemorrhaging cash does not make them happy. This evaluation time isn't about Culley. Everyone knows he was a colossal mistake and should have never gotten the job. The evaluation is how much longer Kyle will be allowed to piss away the family fortune.

Horrible based on what? That he couldn't win 10+ games and go to the playoffs with a bunch of scrap heap guys? Name an old or new guy who would've been able to. That he doesn't provide the great sound bites & insights the media & fans want to eat up? BoB did that...how'd that turn out? That he didn't field a top 5 offense/defense? Kubiak did that a few times early on...didn't result in much more winning.

The "horrible at his job" thing is a stupid media-driven narrative that doesn't have any real substance to it other than "he's not the guy we wanted/envisioned in the 1st place". He was always going to make mistakes as a 1st year guy & if you pay ANY attention to the league at large, they all do & have done it. So no matter who you bring in, that guy is going to make some bad mistakes too...i guarantee it...& i want to see that same energy from fans and the media too.

Did you happen to catch Brandon Staley screw his team out of the playoffs this past Sunday?..A guy supposedly more ready to be a HC.......who had more talent to work with and supposed more smarts and ready to embrace the "new" NFL. Here it is 1 year later & It is thought that that dude screwed his team out of at least 2-3 wins this past year with his ass decision making. Oh, by the way that same guy also brought his team to NRG and got his ass kicked by Culley too.

I think the guy deserves at least 1 other year given the circumstances he inherited, but the narrative about him being bad at his job & we can find someone better...That's just BS b/c 1, noone was coming in here and doing anything more with this roster that he did and the challenges it had.......& 2, you don't know that who you bring in next is going to fair any better with what we anticipate this roster looking like next year.

Wish I could have given this post 10 likes.

:coffee:

Indecisive is typical Kirby Boardroom behavior. At what point do you think Janice, Game Boy and the siblings become completely unglued for pouring their money down the drain? If you're going to fire him, FIRE HIM! This wait and see game is only making things worse. You would think that the triumvirate of Game Boy, The Preacher Man and the File Clerk, and their close relationship with McDaniels, they would've already had this figured out. The fact they don't and the way they are handling this wreaks of rank amateurism and a continuation of showing the world they still do not know what they are doing.

None of this matter if they hire McDaniels which should be the goal.

Right now I think they're trying tofigure oue 1. If McDaniels wants the job. 2. a way to explain to the media why Culley was fired and why McDaniels is being allowed to hire his own staff and why Culley wasn't. Plus Cal is afraid of being labeled a racist. You've already seen some on twitter labeling him that way.

If it was me, I would just tell the truth. We always wanted McDaniels but he was unavailable last hiring cycle. When he became available we hired him. I know that's not fair to a fine human being like David Culley, but this is the direction I've chosen for MY org to go in. If Cal would do this I would gain alot of respect for him. Which is why it will never happen.

Right now I think they're trying tofigure oue 1. If McDaniels wants the job. 2. a way to explain to the media why Culley was fired and why McDaniels is being allowed to hire his own staff and why Culley wasn't. Plus Cal is afraid of being labeled a racist. You've already seen some on twitter labeling him that way.

If it was me, I would just tell the truth. We always wanted McDaniels but he was unavailable last hiring cycle. When he became available we hired him. I know that's not fair to a fine human being like David Culley, but this is the direction I've chosen for MY org to go in. If Cal would do this I would gain alot of respect for him. Which is why it will never happen.

Contrary to what the media only wants to talk about, The ENTIRE coaching staff is being evaluated, not just Culley. So while I think they are assessing what/how or if they want to keep Culley, I think an equally pivotal decision they could be weighing is what they want to do at OC. This in fact could be all they’re assessing. They may want to move on from Kelly and elevate Pep to OC, but with Pep taking interviews elsewhere, they may be holding off until Pep confirms he in fact wants to come back.

I don't understand all the hoopla for McDaniels. He couldn't even make it thru 2 years in Denver. He drafted horribly and couldn't get along with anyone. Josh had some real communication problems. He had the same player issues that O'Brien had in Houston. McDaniels got fired for the same reason O'Brien did. Personalities don't change, you're who you are. Let me be the first to say that if the Texans hire McDaniels that will be as BIG or BIGGER mistake than when they hired O'Brien.

The way the Texans are handling this wreaks of being a bunch cheapskate and horrendous personnel management. I guess they don't cover that in Belichick File Clerk 101 in Patriot Ville.

I don't understand all the hoopla for McDaniels. He couldn't even make it thru 2 years in Denver. He drafted horribly and couldn't get along with anyone. Josh had some real communication problems. He had the same player issues that O'Brien had in Houston. McDaniels got fired for the same reason O'Brien did. Personalities don't change, you're who you are. Let me be the first to say that if the Texans hire McDaniels that will be as BIG or BIGGER mistake than when they hired O'Brien.

The way the Texans are handling this wreaks of being a bunch cheapskate and horrendous personnel management. I guess they don't cover that in Belichick File Clerk 101 in Patriot Ville.

I dont expect you to understand.

McDaniels is most likely their guy. Sink or swim.

Finally after 15 yrs the Texans org is going to put their cards on the table. About time

Having to pay Culley between 5-10 mil to go away and paying McDaniels 30-40 mil isn't a cheapskate way of doing business. I will admit that the jury's still out on Cal stepping up to the plate with checkbook in hand. If a deal doesn't get done with McDaniels this will most likely be the reason.

Finally after 15 yrs the Texans org is going to put their cards on the table. About time

Having to pay Culley between 5-10 mil to go away and paying McDaniels 30-40 mil isn't a cheapskate way of doing business. I will admit that the jury's still out on Cal stepping up to the plate with checkbook in hand. If a deal doesn't get done with McDaniels this will most likely be the reason.

maybe the delay is the balance in Cal’s checking account says “insufficient funds” to make this transaction?

Keeping Culley around in case you get beat by two pair is being a cheapskate. Ask yourself why are we even doing this? It makes no damn sense. Caserio, Easterly and McDaniels are good friends so why are they even playing these games. This should be a done deal. Fire Culley on Monday, go thru the process and then hire McDaniels 48 hours after the Pats lose. Instead let's engage in some silly buffoonery and leak stupid comments to the media. If they are going to put their cards on the table then put the damn cards on the table. Why are they raising with a pair of twos? Canceling the coaching staff from coaching in the Senior Bowl because you may or may not fire Culley is just pure asinine management. It just shows how inept the Kirby boardroom really is.

Last edited:
Keeping Culley around in case you get beat by two pair is being a cheapskate. Ask yourself why are we even doing this? It makes no damn sense. Caserio, Easterly and McDaniels are good friends so why are they even playing these games. This should be a done deal. Fire Culley on Monday, go thru the process and then hire McDaniels 48 hours after the Pats lose. Instead let's engage in some silly buffoonery and leak stupid comments to the media. If they are going to put their cards on the table then put the damn cards on the table. Why are they raising with a pair of twos?

Agreed,

They're just trying to figure out the best way to handle the PR issues at the moment. (Failing) I could hae this all wrong and McDaniels doesn't come to Kirby.

I think the team knows it has substantial draft capital for the rebuild with the #3 pick then a possible Watson/Tunsil trade.

Do they want to hit their wagon to Culley or give that investment to another coach that could have a completely different offensive/defensive scheme?

Agreed,

They're just trying to figure out the best way to handle the PR issues at the moment. (Failing) I could hae this all wrong and McDaniels doesn't come to Kirby.
If he does come to Kirby he is not nearly as smart as you and many others think he is. If the File Clerk doesn't know what's going on this week, and is still trying to plan next week, how is going to plan for 2022 much less the next 4 years?

Last edited:

So in the last year the Texans have committed $15MM to Culley, $30MM to the File Clerk and another likely $40MM to McDaniels, along with creating $50MM in dead money in 2022. That's $135MM!!! I'm sure the McNair family just loves watching their millions being flushed down the toilet.

Uh Oh, the puppet did not puppet. Sounds like the dog ate my homework excuses to me. Less than 48 hours after the season ended the Kirby clown show picks up right where it left off. If you liked the 2021 FUBARS, you're going to love the 2022 FUBARS. Is there a better message to send out to perspective HCs than if your message doesn't agree with the Great and All Powerful Oz you will be fed to the Flying Green Monkeys.

Wow. Texans are doomed. This is so uncharacteristic of your predictions.

Yawn.

They should have hired Meyer and drafted Lawerence. That was the ticket.

Why promote Lovie? You have a DC who you believe in and an awful OC. Hire the best OC you believe in as HC and you get to pick who you want. At least McDaniels has been an unmitigated success in Boston as opposed to OBrien where it’s doubtful how important he was. J Mac has been there a looooong time.
Not that I like the EP New England south route but I am resigned to us sticking to it for now and think McDaniels is the most likely of all Belichick disciples to have success.
I'm all about keeping Lovie where he's at and offer Pep Hamilton the OC job. Probably need to get McDaniels in here first and see if he's agreeable to that.
I'm sure Nick has had conversations with McDaniels at some point.

So in the last year the Texans have committed $15MM to Culley, $30MM to the File Clerk and another likely $40MM to McDaniels, along with creating $50MM in dead money in 2022. That's $135MM!!! I'm sure the McNair family just loves watching their millions being flushed down the toilet.
It's all play money to them, and a nice write off I'm sure.

Why promote Lovie? You have a DC who you believe in and an awful OC. Hire the best OC you believe in as HC and you get to pick who you want.
Does Lovie want to work for someone else?

Does the new HC want to work with Lovie?

I definitely don’t want another situation where the HC runs the offense & is hands off on defense. In that situation your GM is really your HC. & that’s an over consolation of power if you ask me.

Agreed,

If we lose Culley and can't get McDaniels, do we go after Brian Flores? Keep Lovie on D, get rid of Kelly and make an OC offer to Pep? That may get Pep interested.
Then watch Watson make an about-turn Lol...I'd tell him to keep on walkin'

The difference in everything in previous scenarios you had a head coach like McDaniels, OB and others have too much say in personnel and clashed with the FO and players.

Easterby cleaned house prior to Caserio’s arrival. That way there is less push back within the organization.

Caserio removed players like a Cutler or Osweiller who wouldn’t fit the “culture.”
That way when a McDaniels or Flores arrives there is less push back.

This has been an undertaking and coup of an entire organization like no other.

Cal has been on board since Daddy McNair tried to poach Caserio the first time. He is playing the long game while others have been short sighted. His video games taught him that.

Caserio has all the say and all the power over personnel and knows what a Floresor McDaniels is looking for. There is alignment.

So all these communication problems don’t happen when you have the right “culture.”

The draft? Well Caserio had a good draft with little draft capital he had all things considered.

I'm going to go ahead and agree with steelb partially here, none of the money paid to non-player personnel matters. Not my bank account, and it doesn't count against the cap. As long as Cal is ok picking up the tab, who cares. And if the assumptions about Culley being a placeholder coach are true, paying him to be the bag holder was the only way.

I'm not entirely happy about all the dead money, so I'm partially in agreement with you on that topic.

You don’t add up business costs like that. And that’s not how dead money in the cap affects NFL franchises.

GM costs are a constant. Coaching costs are a different expense. Dead money in the cap is something different altogether.

They may be all expenses and look big but it doesn’t tell you anything when you know what the revenues and operating income are.

Keeping Culley around in case you get beat by two pair is being a cheapskate. Ask yourself why are we even doing this? It makes no damn sense. Caserio, Easterly and McDaniels are good friends so why are they even playing these games. This should be a done deal. Fire Culley on Monday, go thru the process and then hire McDaniels 48 hours after the Pats lose. Instead let's engage in some silly buffoonery and leak stupid comments to the media. If they are going to put their cards on the table then put the damn cards on the table. Why are they raising with a pair of twos? Canceling the coaching staff from coaching in the Senior Bowl because you may or may not fire Culley is just pure asinine management. It just shows how inept the Kirby boardroom really is.

They are waiting to bring in a Flores or McDaniels when they know what they can get for Watson. As soon as that is settled, if they get any picks from that, then they will make a move I am assuming.

Why come here and deal with the drama of Watson? Everyone knows that would take time to settle and add to the rebuild. Why be a coach and waste a year or two on that if you didn’t need to? Especially when you have someone like Caserio who would build the culture you wanted?

Cal has been on board since Daddy McNair tried to poach Caserio the first time. He is playing the long game while others have been short sighted. His video games taught him that.
Laughed so hard at this I pulled a muscle.

3e2eac9a4caa2d305f8916befda5d908.jpeg

I don't see them firing him this year. They are still paying BOB and if they fire Culley they will be paying two guys who aren't in the building anymore and the team had taken a bath financially back to back years. It ain't happening.

30 mil to Casero- they believe in him

They probably will give Culley another 8 mil in a buyout to go with the 3 mil he made this yr. More money up front less over time. 11 mil

40 mil for Caserio

The dead money is cap money and most of it would've been spent anyway or already was spent.

Bottom line is Caserio/McDaniels will be paid top $$$$. You gotta pay to get top candidates.

11 mil placeholder.

50 mil which is really about 20 mil when you take in the Tunsil/Cooks restructures is the price of fixing the past misdeeds of the previous regimes.

If we lose Culley and can't get McDaniels, do we go after Brian Flores? Keep Lovie on D, get rid of Kelly and make an OC offer to Pep? That may get Pep interested.

I certainly hope not.

Flores has Mulageta as his agent. Hopefully the McNair's have had their fill with that guy.

If they cant get McDaniels, and if they have to have somebody from Foxboro then give me a guy Mayo. That guys a leader of men. Pep wont stay, but I would bring in McCown to be Mills QB coach regardless if there's a HC change. I wonder who Caserio/ Mayo would bring in as OC?

I certainly hope not.

Flores has Mulageta as his agent. Hopefully the McNair's have had their fill with that guy.

If they cant get McDaniels, and if they have to have somebody from Foxboro then give me a guy Mayo. That guys a leader of men. Pep wont stay, but I would bring in McCown to be Mills QB coach regardless if there's a HC change. I wonder who Caserio/ Mayo would bring in as OC?
My reading of the tea leaves this morning is all of this silly buffoonery brouhaha began when Brian Flores was unexpectedly fired. This caused the File Clerk to spit out his coffee and put the Clerk in high gear to pursue Flores as the next HC. If McDaniels was a done deal Culley would've/should've been gone on Monday but he's not, he's still here. Flores is weighing his options and why Culley is on hold. Here is the kicker, don't be surprised if there is a move to bring back DW4 if Flores is named the new HC for the Texans. I will really look forward to reading @steelbtexan comments if that were to happen.

LMAO- Ginger Bias much? LMAO and no I'm not a ginger

He looked pretty good with Burrow behind center. Not so much with Teddy/Darnold. I'm betting he can raise Mills level of play like he did with Burrow.
My guess is Brady got the boot because he's the one that convinced Carolina to trade for another ginger, Sam Darnold. Ginger love for another ginger!

Contrary to what the media only wants to talk about, The ENTIRE coaching staff is being evaluated, not just Culley. So while I think they are assessing what/how or if they want to keep Culley, I think an equally pivotal decision they could be weighing is what they want to do at OC. This in fact could be all they’re assessing. They may want to move on from Kelly and elevate Pep to OC, but with Pep taking interviews elsewhere, they may be holding off until Pep confirms he in fact wants to come back.

it only takes an organization this inept to drag this out for several days after the end of the season. First, decide on HC and announce that decision. Rest of the coaching staff reviewed individually regardless of that decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back