Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Injury Thread

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1671757121210.png

THE TITANS HAVE ENOUGH TO FILL AN ENTIRE HOSPITAL WARD, WHILE QUESTIONABLY HAVING ENOUGH TO ADEQUATELY FILL THIS GAME'S PLAYING ROSTER.

I'M STILL WAITING TANYA HARDING TO COME DOWN THE TUNNEL.

• Haha
Reactions: JB

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Tannehill has undergone surgery on his ankle. Tannehill originally suffered a high ankle sprain on Oct. 23 against the Colts and missed two games before he returned. Sunday against the Chargers while escaping the pocket and running for 1 yard, he suffered an extension of his high ankle sprain and missed only one series. This is what happens when you don't allow adequate rest and rehab for an injury.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1672279165160.png
HOWARD, MORRISSEY AND STEWART HAVE ALL BEEN HIT BY THE HIT BUG...............EXPECT THAT ALL THEY HIT DURING THE GAME SUNDAY IS THEIR PILLOWS.

QUITORIANO SUSTAINED A BRUISED QUADRICEPS AND A HYPEREXTENDED KNEE............HE IS FORTUNATE, AS A SEVERE ENOUGH HYPEREXTENDED KNEE IS THE STEP THAT LEADS TO AN ACL.................HE WILL NOT BE THERE SUNDAY.

K GREENS HIGH ANKLE SPRAIN WILL NOT ALLOW HIM TO BE THERE SUNDAY.

MCCRAY'S ANKLE WILL BE BORDERLINE IF HE TRIES TO PLAY SUNDAY..........WILL PROBABLY BE QUESTIONABLE.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
View attachment 11333

WILL PLACE COMMENTARIES IF/WHEN I HAVE THE TIME.
LAWRENCE SUFFERED A LEFT TURF TOE INJURY WEEK 13.............HE HAS BEEN ABLE TO PLAY EVERY GAME SINCE DUE TO WEARING TOE RE-INFORCED FOOTWARE AND HELPED BY THE FACT THAT IT IS NOT HIS PUSH OFF FOOT...............EXPECT HIM THERE SUNDAY.

WINGARD SUBLUXED HIS RIGHT LEADING SHOULDER DURING A TACKLE IN WEEK 14...........HAS PLAYED EACH GAME SINCE...........INEFFECTIVELY.............WILL AGAIN PLAY SUNDAY...............INEFFECTIVELY.

WALKER.........SUFFERED A HIGH ANKLE SPRAIN WEEK 14............MISSED THE LAST 2 GAMES...........WILL BE QUESTIONABLE THIS WEEK...........IF HE PLAYS, WILL LIKELY BE COMPROMISED.

MATISCIK............SUFFERED A BACK MUSCLE STRAIN LAST GAME...............FOR LONG-SNAPPER, ANY BACK PROBLEM IS A NO-GO.

SCHERFF...............SUFFERED A GRADE I ABDOMINAL OBLIQUE STRAIN WEEK 14, AND HAS PLAYED THE LAST 2 GAMES, BUT WITH NOTICEABLE WEAKNESS...........LAST GAME HE SUFFERED A GRADE I LOWER ANKLE SPRAIN (PLAYING WITH CORE WEAKNESS, COMPENSATORY INJURIES ARE TO BE EXPECTED)...........WILL BE QUESTIONABLE, BUT PROBABLY TRY TO PLAY INEFFECTIVELY.

FATUKASI.............SUFFERED A GRADE I LOW ANKLE SPRAIN WEEK 15 AND MISSED LAST GAME..............EARLIER THIS YEAR, HE HAS DEALT WITH A CALF TEAR AND A QUAD TEAR.........IF NO SETBACK, WILL TRY TO PLAY THIS SUNDAY.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1672366616078.png

PLAYERS ARE SURELY GOING THROUGH THE CONCUSSION PROTOCOL MUCH QUICKER THAN THEY USED TO :shades:..............HOWARD AND STEWART ON THEIR WAY TO BEING CLEARED FOR SUNDAY.

OTHERWISE, OTHER PREVIOUS COMMENTARIES UNCHANGED.

LAST MONTH OGUNBOWALE DEALT WITH A FOOT ISSUE.............DURING YESTERDAY'S PRACTICE, HE DEVELOPED KNEE SWELLING.............COULD BE QUESTIONABLE FOR SUNDAY.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1672885666897.png

WILL POST COMMENTARIES IF AND WHEN I AM ABLE.
FACYSON..............SUSTAINED CONCUSSION LAST GAME.............UNLIKELY TO PLAY.

FOLES..................CRACKED RIBS LAST GAME.............WILL NOT PLAY SUNDAY.

GILMORE.............SUFFERED A WRIST LIGAMENT INJURY LAST GAME..............THE COLTS CBS HAVE BEEN DECIMATED (FACYSON WITH A CONCUSION, AND ISAIAH RODGER AND KENNY MOORE ALREADY ON IR)..........IF GILMORE'S ALIVE, HE WILL TRY TO PLAY.

GRANSON.........SUSTAINED A GRADE II HIGH ANKLE SPRAIN WEEK 15 AND HAS NOT PLAYED OR PRACTICED SINCE.............HE WON'T HAVE A LEG TO STAND ON SUNDAY.

DULIN...............WAS CONCUSSED WEEK 16 AND HAS NOT MADE ANY SIGNIFICANT PROGRESS SINCE.............UNLIKELY TO BE AVAILABLE SUNDAY.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1672978097355.png

DORSET SUFFERED A HAMSTRING IN PRACTICE...............WILL NOT PLAY SUNDAY.

HOWARD SUSTAINED A HIP POINTER AND WILL BE QUESTIONABLE FOR SUNDAY.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Garret Wallow underwent a "clean out" surgery of his ankle 2 weeks ago. He originally suffered an ankle injury in a 2022 TC practice and missed the 1st two regular season games. He continued to be dogged with the injury, with a soreness problem increasing around week 9, when he was limited mostly STs duty. After week 11, it got so bad that he had to miss week 12. He tried to play a little outside of STs week 13. but his ankle only gave him more problems leading to only take a handful or less of snaps in each game only on STs for the remainder of the season.

I'm happy that he finally addressed his ankle injury. But my concern is that there were bits of cartilage and other debris that were grinding away healthy joint cartilage the entire time that he was playing through his season-long injury.

Porky

Hall of Fame

Kenyon Green got scoped. I don't know the implications, but it says he should be good to go for offseason workouts so seems like minor surgery. But Doc can chime in if he sees it differently.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

Kenyon Green got scoped. I don't know the implications, but it says he should be good to go for offseason workouts so seems like minor surgery. But Doc can chime in if he sees it differently.
Green dealt with and played through a knee issue throughout his last year at A&M. It was not much publicized.

Following that senior year, he underwent a meniscus excision (not repair). This tweet did not make much sense to most, and was really never pounced upon.:

As I've posted in the past, when a meniscus is trimmed/excised (as opposed to repaired), their is loss of joint protection. This recent last surgery was to trim additional meniscus.............therefore leaving less knee joint protection and over time definitely a setup for articular cartilage damage and accompanying arthritis.

Essentially, the above leads to more stress on the articular cartilage and can cause the cartilage to wear more quickly. When the articular cartilage is injured, either suddenly due to injury or slowly over time with arthritis, the joint no longer glides smoothly.

So again, this injury history and surgeries is not what you want to see when anticipating a long player career.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Stupid question but why didn't they opt for the more full repair as opposed to the trim?
Not stupid! Some specific areas of the meniscus when torn do not lend themselves to repair. But like in the case of Clowney, the excision was performed to try to get him back on the field in his rookie year as soon as possible. Two meniscus trims within a year early in a career is not as benign as Wilson has made it sound in his report.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Not stupid! Some specific areas of the meniscus when torn do not lend themselves to repair. But like in the case of Clowney, the excision was performed to try to get him back on the field in his rookie year as soon as possible. Two meniscus trims within a year early in a career is not as benign as Wilson has made it sound in his report.
Prognosis for Kenyon Green?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I've posted as much detail as I can regarding potential prognosis. I cannot give you the exact time of progression beyond telling you that wearing down of his knee is definitely in his future.
Thanks for the insight CnD……Texans may want to add OG to their draft list this go round just as a backup measure.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Garret Wallow underwent a "clean out" surgery of his ankle 2 weeks ago. He originally suffered an ankle injury in a 2022 TC practice and missed the 1st two regular season games. He continued to be dogged with the injury, with a soreness problem increasing around week 9, when he was limited mostly STs duty. After week 11, it got so bad that he had to miss week 12. He tried to play a little outside of STs week 13. but his ankle only gave him more problems leading to only take a handful or less of snaps in each game only on STs for the remainder of the season.

I'm happy that he finally addressed his ankle injury. But my concern is that there were bits of cartilage and other debris that were grinding away healthy joint cartilage the entire time that he was playing through his season-long injury.
Garrett Wallow has begun to run now and is expected to be available for OTAs.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Hey @CloakNNNdagger - what is a Jones (foot) injury and what is the likely prognosis?
I've probably posted ~100 posts regarding the Jones fracture...........a simple search would bring them all up.

But, I refer you to a 2006 post re. that consolidates the info.

1681827688753.png

Typical repair with single medullary screw:

1681827992773.png

Because of significant reoperation rate after an athlete tries to return to playusing the single medullary screw technique (10-50%, depending of study cited, due to the area empirically having very poor blood supply), the newer hook plate technique is becoming popular.

1681828292806.png

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I've probably posted ~100 posts regarding the Jones fracture...........a simple search would bring them all up.

But, I refer you to a 2006 post re. that consolidates the info.

View attachment 11921

Typical repair with single medullary screw:

View attachment 11922

Because of significant reoperation rate after an athlete tries to return to playusing the single medullary screw technique (10-50%, depending of study cited, due to the area empirically having very poor blood supply), the newer hook plate technique is becoming popular.

View attachment 11923
Thanks for that Doc. Would you be dubious drafting a DLineman with this type of injury?
Edit - nvrmind. I read your old post. Thanks.
I was just curious as Tyree Wilson has this injury but wasn't aware of it until today.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
@CloakNNNdagger I found this article on Kenyon Green being flagged for a knee issue leading up to the draft (as we know that is a green light for Texans medical staff).

He underwent arthroscopic knee surgery this offseason:

I’m assuming this was a contributing factor to why his combine/pro day workouts were so bad. I hope Green gets healthy. Can you confirm? If so, what is his outlook for a recovery and possibly returning to prior performance?

He had a lot of injury issues his rookie season, in addition to going up against a murderer’s row of NFL DTs.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
@CloakNNNdagger I found this article on Kenyon Green being flagged for a knee issue leading up to the draft (as we know that is a green light for Texans medical staff).

He underwent arthroscopic knee surgery this offseason:

I’m assuming this was a contributing factor to why his combine/pro day workouts were so bad. I hope Green gets healthy. Can you confirm? If so, what is his outlook for a recovery and possibly returning to prior performance?

He had a lot of injury issues his rookie season, in addition to going up against a murderer’s row of NFL DTs.
I posted on this subject earlier.

******************************************************************************************

Green dealt with and played through a knee issue throughout his last year at A&M. It was not much publicized.

Following that senior year, he underwent a meniscus excision (not repair). This tweet did not make much sense to most, and was really never pounced upon.:

As I've posted in the past, when a meniscus is trimmed/excised (as opposed to repaired), their is loss of joint protection. This recent last surgery was to trim additional meniscus.............therefore leaving less knee joint protection and over time definitely a setup for articular cartilage damage and accompanying arthritis.

Essentially, the above leads to more stress on the articular cartilage and can cause the cartilage to wear more quickly. When the articular cartilage is injured, either suddenly due to injury or slowly over time with arthritis, the joint no longer glides smoothly.

So again, this injury history and surgeries is not what you want to see when anticipating a long player career.
Any significant additional damage to his knee's cartilage and he could very well be looking at microfracture surgery.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Metchie has missed the past few weeks of offseason practice following a Grade II hamstring tear he sustained. He will try to return for TC. My worry is recurrence over the upcoming season. Recent studies show that 25% of the re-injuries occur in the first week after RTP (return to play)and at the exact same location as the index injury. RTP should not occur before 5-6 weeks following the initial injury. Too many players are allowed to RTP after a Grade II tear at ~2-3 weeks...they are almost guaranteed to re-injure. Metchie needs longer reconditioning due to his leukemia treatment history. It appears that Metchie was pushed too hard at the time of his initial return practice. Hopefully, the Texans will be more conservative in their bringing him back. Even so, he will be high risk for hamstring re-injury and/or compensatory injury for the 2023 season.

TexanBorn51

Veteran
^^
Texans coach DeMeco Ryans said John Metchie III (hamstring) is expected to be ready for training camp.
Metchie apparently suffered a hamstring strain early in the Texans offseason and Houston will take it easy with him. It's not a great sign for Metchie that he's not going to be able to take advantage of every bit of the offseason to show off to Houston's new offensive staff what he can do, but it's also not disqualifying him in any real way. However, the less Metchie plays, the more looks the team gets at Tank Dell.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Metchie has missed the past few weeks of offseason practice following a Grade II hamstring tear he sustained. He will try to return for TC. My worry is recurrence over the upcoming season. Recent studies show that 25% of the re-injuries occur in the first week after RTP (return to play)and at the exact same location as the index injury. RTP should not occur before 5-6 weeks following the initial injury. Too many players are allowed to RTP after a Grade II tear at ~2-3 weeks...they are almost guaranteed to re-injure. Metchie needs longer reconditioning due to his leukemia treatment history. It appears that Metchie was pushed too hard at the time of his initial return practice. Hopefully, the Texans will be more conservative in their bringing him back. Even so, he will be high risk for hamstring re-injury and/or compensatory injury for the 2023 season.
Is this the same leg that he tore the ACL on?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I've previously posted my concern re. Green's most recent scope not being as benign as the Texans have reported. It's already been 5 months since his surgery, and still no "participation."

From a March article:

Report: Texans G Kenyon Green underwent arthroscopic knee surgery
Mark Lane
March 9, 2023 4:57 pm CT

Kenyon Green had an offseason procedure but it should not affect his participation in the heart of the Houston Texans’ offseason workouts.

According to Aaron Wilson from KPRC-TV, the former 2022 first-round guard had arthroscopic knee surgery after the conclusion of the 3-13-1 campaign and is expected to be back for the team’s voluntary offseason workouts starting April 3.

Now:

Ryans was noncommittal on the status of starting left offensive guard Kenyon Green for the start of training camp.

Green had arthroscopic knee surgery this offseason.

Ryans wasn’t as optimistic as he has been in the past about Green.

“We’ll see where Kenyon is come training camp,” Ryans said. “For Kenyon, he has to be ready to go and the work he puts in over the next few weeks will see if he’s ready and ready to go out and compete.”

While Green wasn’t ready to participate in offseason practices, he has made progress behind the scenes in his scheduled rehabilitation from his knee surgery, per a league source, and is considered to be on track to practice during training camp.
LINK

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

Metchie suffered a grade II hamstring tear the first week in OTAs. He has not practiced since..............Demeco Ryans said. Metchie is on the "right path" and should be ready for TC.....................