Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Injury Thread

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What can we expect from Cole in 2020? Is he just insurance in 2021 if we trade a LB?
Dont expect much and you wont be disappointed.

He's the coverage LB this team is missing. Like the rest of the team if he can stay healthy he could be part of an improved defense.

Somebody mentioned the offense and defense both could be much improved or both could be much worse depending on health.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Cole has an 83% chance of returning to play............and has a good chance of returning to preinjury performance level by ~9-12 months post surgery.
Thanks Doc, indeed I like him for ST and his ability to cover including TE's. I thought Zach would be better coverage LB, and BM is a disaster covering RB or TE so we need Dylan to come back healthy.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
From Jan 24:
Conley has just undergone what is reported as a minor procedure consisting of "removal of a screw from his ankle." Back in Nov 2017, while with the Raiders, Conley was originally diagnosed as severe "shin splints." However, after not being able to stay on the field and going through prolonged conservative treatment, he was finally taken to surgery where surgery was performed for what would turn out to be a tibial stress fracture. Usually, these fractures are repaired with a plate with screws, or a rod with screws to keep it from moving. Screws are usually not removed unless they cause pain or become loose or infected. Why a screw was in the ankle is a little curious unless the the fracture was very low on the tibia and the plate extended to the ankle

View attachment 5488

or he actually had a high ankle sprain/fibula fracture in addition to the tibial stress fracture.

View attachment 5485

View attachment 5489
This is one procedure that can indeed be considered "minor." The removal of a screw from any of these applications should result in a quick easy non-eventful recovery.
From July 31:
Conley has been placed on PUP. He had "minor" surgery to remove screws from his ankle in Jan. It's somewhat curious that all is not completely healed if that is all that was performed.
1596919870990.png

Texans cornerback Gareon Conley is making steady improvement in his recovery from offseason ankle surgery.

The starting defensive back remains on the active-physically unable to perform list, but his rehabilitation is progressing.

"Gareon, while he did have surgery, he is starting to feel better.," Texans defensive coordinator Anthony Weaver said. "I know he’s on PUP right now but he’s champing at the bit to get back out there. He’s already coming up to me asking about when we can watch film together so he can know what I’m thinking when I’m making play calls and things of that nature."
link

"Feeling better"??? "Making steady improvement in his recovery from offseason surgery"??? "His rehabilitation is progressing"???

All I can say at this point is that there must be more to this story than a "minor" ankle surgery in January involving only removal of screws. Bones after such a procedure should be well-healed after only 6 weeks.................not 6 months. The removal of screws is indeed a "minor" procedure, but the reason for removal of the screws (such as late infection/osteomyelitis or extrusion of the screws through the skin) may be the complicating factor.................or even a postoperative complication such poor bone healing of the screw holes leaving the bone weak, or even a postoperative soft tissue wound or bone infection.

Many possibilities, but evidently Conley is demonstrating a "major" recovery period for a supposedly "minor" surgery.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Texans' latest OT signing Jerald Hawkins tore his quadriceps tendon during OTA practice of his rookie year (4th rounder) June 2018.............it required surgery.............he essentially missed the next 2 seasons, appearing in only 1 game. At best, appears to be depth.

Around 50% return from this injury...............1st-3rd rounders most likely to return...............for those that manage to return can average ~40 games.......................Hawkins has yet to prove that he is in the "return" group.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Keke Coutee has what is being called a "minor" stress fracture of the foot...........supposedly won't need surgery.........that infamous "minor" injury. A stress fracture of the foot in a WR is never "minor." They are usually metatarsal fractures of the 2nd or 3rd metatarsals (or a talus ankle bone fracure if you consider the ankle the foot), and if they are not rested for a long enough period, they complete the fracture and typically will then require surgery. As Coutee has had ankle and hamstring problems in the past, a sore foot will not do his mechanics any good. Could easily set him up for another lower limb injury, especially a hamstring or calf tear.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Isaiah Coulter (neck strain), Cullen Gillaspia (hamstring), Phillip Gaines (ankle), and Jon Greenard did not practice today.

Coulter made it back for a couple of practices, but now has missed several additional practices due to the injury.

Gaines' ankle is somewhat concerning since last November, his season ended with a severe left high ankle sprain fracture which required season-ending surgery.

One day after returning to practice due to an undisclosed injury for the first time in a week, Greenard did not practice today.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Until the first day of official season Injury Reports, teams are not obligated to give any injury information out. Therefore, many aren't........and unfortunately without formal injury report rules at this time, some are playing games and giving somewhat misleading information........without fear of repercussions.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
TE Dylan Stapleton suffered a fracture in his shoulder diving for a pass. It likely will not require surgery. However, healing time is going to be 6-8 weeks before he can return to practice, if he is not waived injured with settlement.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Greenard's mysterious undisclosed injury is a hamstring tear. It began as a grade I about 1 1/2 weeks ago. He tried to practice 2 days ago and re-injured his hamstring. This concerns me in that his injury could have been extended to grade II. I expect is this is so, we won't see him for at least another month.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Texans undrafted rookie tight end Dylan Stapleton to receive a multiple-week injury settlement for his fractured shoulder. His recovery should be 6-8 weeks. No report of his release although injury settlement, as opposed to being placed on IR, implies that the player becomes a FA. The Texans have been very complimentary of Stapleton throughout TC. Would not surprise me to see him back with the Texans sometime in the future, if another team does not pick him up before that.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Duke Johnson had a leg injury. David Johnson had his left wrist examined. I'll leave it to CnD for a detailed analysis.
David Johnson's wrist was looked at and quickly dismissed as being any significant problem. Why the medical staff focused on his wrist is his history of a severe wrist dislocation Sept 2017 for which he missed the entire season. He suffered a dislocation of his wrist which resulted in a torn scapho-lunate ligament requiring surgical repair. He came back the next year to rush for almost 1000 yds. That type of injury/repair should have left him with an excellent long-term prognosis, which it has. The Texans would have only been extra careful to check him out after he fell on his hand.

Duke Johnson, I have not received any information on specifics. But if it were serious, I find it curious that they reverted Scottie Phillips (who only played 12 snaps on STs) back to the PS..........unless they are thinking of calling up Prosise. We should know shortly.

badboy

Hall of Fame
David Johnson's wrist was looked at and quickly dismissed as being any significant problem. Why the medical staff focused on his wrist is his history of a severe wrist dislocation Sept 2017 for which he missed the entire season. He suffered a dislocation of his wrist which resulted in a torn scapho-lunate ligament requiring surgical repair. He came back the next year to rush for almost 1000 yds. That type of injury/repair should have left him with an excellent long-term prognosis, which it has. The Texans would have only been extra careful to check him out after he fell on his hand.

Duke Johnson, I have not received any information on specifics. But if it were serious, I find it curious that they reverted Scottie Phillips (who only played 12 snaps on STs) back to the PS..........unless they are thinking of calling up Prosise. We should know shortly.
Ah didn't know Phillips returned to PS. If Prosise is brought up what was the benefit of having Phillips activated? I don't think he played a snap unless on ST and I missed it? Is SP injured? Seems puzzling.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Ah didn't know Phillips returned to PS. If Prosise is brought up what was the benefit of having Phillips activated? I don't think he played a snap unless on ST and I missed it? Is SP injured? Seems puzzling.
From another thread:
Because he was not yet expected to be ready to be a legitimate RB.........He was brought in to replace the loss of one of the Texans core special team players........ Gillaspia.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
A Texans WR with a quad injury...color me shocked lol
If you look around the League, you will see a large number of soft tissue injuries piling up across the board........in greater numbers for the amount of practice time ["TC" only, if you want to call it that] than full OTAs/minicamps/TC in years past...........and this will continue well into the regular season. With such poor preparation players have had going into the season, it should be anticipated.
I understand it, but it seems like our WRs are often dealing with soft tissue injuries.
Just an FYI.................Going into week 1, there were 40 hamstring injuries alone.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Prior to the Chiefs game, Cooks had very limited practice time with Watson because of his injury. His quad was far from 100% for the Chiefs game. He has now been able to return to full practice. Quads are like hamstrings..............they can be quite flaky and unpredictable, especially for the first 2 months after injury. In the mean time, he is likely to continue being somewhat cautious and vigilant, while rehabbing his quad through most if not all of the season. He will likely need to tone down his explosive moves a little for a while, in that it is such sudden moves which encourage re-injury of the quads. Hopefully, in relative short time, we will see the Cooks we have been expecting.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
What's wrong with Warring this time?

They've stayed tight-lipped about the injury. He played ~1/3 of the STs snaps and 0 offensive snaps. With the way the IR is structured this year, although not per the rules, they could theoretically claim a mild injury then bring the player back in 3 weeks..............but it could be that the team is actually unhappy with his performance and give him more time to become ''prepared''............as long as it takes...........or not at all.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
From June 4 post:

Howard originally suffered a Grade II MCL (partial) tear of his left knee in week 6...........and was only given 3 weeks to rehab before he was allowed to return........somewhat soon for such an injury, especially for a 300# RT. It affected his play until he suffered a compensatory meniscus injury to his right knee in week 12, after which he was subsequently placed on IR Nov 30. He was taken to surgery Dec 5 at which time a meniscus repair (not excision) was performed. The outcome studies of meniscal repair related to return to play have been performed and have revealed that the majority of patients succeed to return to play at the same or similar to their preinjury level, between 4 and 6 months. The fact that he states "I am feeling pretty good" and is still rehabbing tells me that he is at the upper time table for return. Fortunately, the COVID NFL offseason delay has played to his advantage.
Having never made its way to any injury report, Howard quietly had wrist surgery during the offseason.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Fuller appeared on the Injury Report last week Friday for the first time................as ''DID NOT PRACTICE''.........''NOT INJURY RELATED.''

I find this report disingenuous in that he had very limited snaps with NO targets in the Ravens game.........and was receiving hamstring treatments on the sidelines, despite the injury never being reported.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Don't expect Conley back from IR anytime soon. His "minor ankle screw removal'' surgery is not responding well to rehab. When I looked into it closer, I found it curious that Conley had no history of ankle surgery. But looking further into it, I found that he had a tibial fracture in 2017. Then digging deeper into it, I found that he had been repaired, not with plates and screws, but with an intramedulary (through the central marrow of the bone) rod. This procedure requires stabilization of the rod with screws at the proximal and distal ends of the rod. Depending on the exact configuration and positioning of the rod, the distal screw(s) can be placed in the ankle region. This no doubt explains the ankle screw with no ankle surgery.

1601917187522.png

I would give Warring another ~3 weeks before we see him on the field again.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Don't expect Conley back from IR anytime soon. His "minor ankle screw removal'' surgery is not responding well to rehab. When I looked into it closer, I found it curious that Conley had no history of ankle surgery. But looking further into it, I found that he had a tibial fracture in 2017. Then digging deeper into it, I found that he had been repaired, not with plates and screws, but with an intramedulary (through the central marrow of the bone) rod. This procedure requires stabilization of the rod with screws at the proximal and distal ends of the rod. Depending on the exact configuration and positioning of the rod, the distal screw(s) can be placed in the ankle region. This no doubt explains the ankle screw with no ankle surgery.

View attachment 6766

I would give Warring another ~3 weeks before we see him on the field again.
Is this another case of the Texans not doing due diligence?