Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Injury Discussion Thread

Just wanted to touch on a few things:

I've seen some criticism of putting Tank out there for the play he got injured on and some citing his size. Tank being tiny isn't why he was injured. A 305 pound dude crushing your ankle at that angle will injure you whether you're big or small. Whether it was 5 foot nothing 168 lbs Tank or 6'4" Nico Collins the result would have been the same.

Also saw some people talking about a potential return for Tank in the postseason. Not happening. Regardless of his recovery once we return Kaimi Fairbairn from IR that will use all 8 of our possible IR returns for the season (and postseason). From here on out once someone hits IR they're done for the year.

I've seen some criticism of putting Tank out there for the play he got injured on and some citing his size. Tank being tiny isn't why he was injured. A 305 pound dude crushing your ankle at that angle will injure you whether you're big or small. Whether it was 5 foot nothing 168 lbs Tank or 6'4" Nico Collins the result would have been the same.

Also saw some people talking about a potential return for Tank in the postseason. Not happening. Regardless of his recovery once we return Kaimi Fairbairn from IR that will use all 8 of our possible IR returns for the season (and postseason). From here on out once someone hits IR they're done for the year.
We might keep Ammendola instead. Guy was perfect yesterday and he was great last week despite the miss.

I don't want 165 lb wide receiver nor Nico Collins in the middle of a football pile. He wasn't even going for a fumble recovery.

That’s all fine and dandy but for the same reason the Texans don’t use him on punt returns they don’t need to have him mixing it up in the middle of the big nasties on a f***ing run play. No reason on earth to put one of your best players at an unnecessary risk like that. That was just a dumb, no reason for him to be there play, and of course, it bites the Texans in the ass.

It doesn’t always take a f***ing genius to figure some of these things out.

If it had been an injury that allowed Tank to get back by the playoffs, the Texans could have kept him on the roster and not activated Dell while he rehabbed. Obviously, the injury was too serious to entertain that option.

That’s all fine and dandy but for the same reason the Texans don’t use him on punt returns they don’t need to have him mixing it up in the middle of the big nasties on a f***ing run play. No reason on earth to put one of your best players at an unnecessary risk like that. That was just a dumb, no reason for him to be there play, and of course, it bites the Texans in the ass.

It doesn’t always take a f***ing genius to figure some of these things out.
He's a great run blocker though and helps the run game because him simply being on the field means they have to respect the pass and a lot of other plays that could happen.

Again, I'll re-iterate that on that play any single person would get injured. So your argument should be that we shouldn't run that play, not that Tank shouldn't be out there.

It's speculation that the Denver player intentionally hurt Tank. But Payton's past does invoke the conjecture.
Rewatching the play, it appears that Collins was blocked into Dell on that play, and that was what whipsawed Dell to his left and backwards. I javen't watched the all-22 yet though. just the full game replay.

We might keep Ammendola instead. Guy was perfect yesterday and he was great last week despite the miss.
The dude kicked 1 FG less than an extra point and 2 a bit longer than an extra point. He's never, in his career, kicked a FG of over 50 yards. There's a reason he was sitting on his couch when Fairbairn got injured. He's eked through most of his FGs and extra points with the Texans. Special teams' matter, especially in this era of parity. Stroud and Metchie need to be spending extra time together getting their chemistry right. Not saying Dell is replaceable, but saying an accurate kicker is just as important to winning games in this league. Fairbairn is 68.5% (24-35) accurate from 50-59 yards. That's a helluva lot better than 0%.
I'm 100% for seeing Dell at OTAs and Fairbairn kicking the ball into February.

Again, I'll re-iterate that on that play any single person would get injured. So your argument should be that we shouldn't run that play, not that Tank shouldn't be out there.

Look, I get injuries happen to players of all sizes. Hell, I was making that argument about Young when everyone was worried about him getting hurt because of his size if we drafted him.

Why don’t the Texans use Tank on punt returns exclusively? There’s nobody on the team who’s more of a threat there.

I don’t have a problem with the play they ran, and I don’t have a problem with Tank blocking on run plays. When he’s doing that though it’s usually in open space against a CB or S that doesn’t dwarf him (too much because everyone does).

Your best player, if you’re not going to risk him on punt returns, doesn’t need to be near the pile of the 250-300 pounders playing smashmouth football. Hell, I don’t like when they use him on jet sweeps. Yes, anybody of any size could have gotten hurt on that play, but again, this is your best playmaker on a team that hasn’t had a lot of those in a while. Just like you don’t want your QB hanging receivers out to dry and getting their heads taken off, you’ve got do to what you can to protect players. Tiny people, one of which is your best playmaker, going into the middle of the land of giants, especially on a play that really doesn’t or shouldn’t involve him, is just asking for trouble.

What's the prognosis for Dell? Is this something that might slow him down? Is there an increased risk for re injury?
These fractures are most commonly of the distal fibula and are often treated conservatively and symptomatically when it is isolated, does not include the joint itself, and is stable without surgery. This approach is more likely to be taken when the player is not in a tight window to return in which surgical metal support may be chosen to allow more security in a shorter available healing period. There are seldom long=term limitations, and patients often go on to union between 6-8 weeks if they have minimal comorbidities. Dell, barring unforeseen complications which are low risk to occur should be able to return to OTAs in pre-injury condition.

I'm looking forward to CnD's eval of Lawrence injury?
Oh wow that would be real serious
emoji15.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted in NFL section week 13 .Tried to post this last night but it didn't go through>>

Reviewing the play repeatedly in slow motion, the injury has a good chance of looking worse than it is. As long as x-rays don't show any ankle fracture, it is likely to turn out to be a simple lateral low ankle sprain with a short term absence from playing. I saw nothing consistent with ACL or Achilles.

Reviewing the play repeatedly in slow motion, the injury has a good chance of looking worse than it is. As long as x-rays don't show any ankle fracture, it is likely to turn out to be a simple lateral low ankle sprain with a short term absence from playing. I saw nothing consistent with ACL or Achilles.
They had a camera shot in the tunnel. Lawrence had support on both sides and may not have been bearing full weight, but he was walking gingerly. I suspect he'll be back this season. He'll certainly miss the Brown game. Hope he misses the Ravens game.

Everything I see is high ankle sprain, but not considered a severe one. Likely to miss this week…ravens game is iffy but might play that one. If he does, he would be less likely to run. I favor the Ravens in that one. Jags dodged a bullet on this one.
Lawrence, and the Jags, should stay away from the local Jacksonville Orthopedic Institute. They're not sports friendly. Their treatment time, as explained on their website, for a mild, grade 1 high sprain is 6 weeks.

Lawrence will be wrapped up and shot up. Maybe the refs can be bought to minimize contact.

Every report I've seen is saying it IS a high ankle sprain, but not a severe one and that he's considered day to day.
Everything I see is high ankle sprain, but not considered a severe one. Likely to miss this week…ravens game is iffy but might play that one. If he does, he would be less likely to run. I favor the Ravens in that one. Jags dodged a bullet on this one.
Lawrence, and the Jags, should stay away from the local Jacksonville Orthopedic Institute. They're not sports friendly. Their treatment time, as explained on their website, for a mild, grade 1 high sprain is 6 weeks.

Lawrence will be wrapped up and shot up. Maybe the refs can be bought to minimize contact.
Every report out there is solely based on the Jags HC Pederson's statement. The mechanism for high ankle sprain was entirely absent. Having communicated now with other surgeons, including those close to the situation agree with me that Lawrence's injury was a low ankle sprain..........the only reason that explains the optimism for a quick return. The NFL Injury Reports are more and more being manipulated, and negating its original purpose of helping to determine more realistic/honest Vegas odds. With the advent of widespread legalized gambling, far-reaching "fraud" in injury reporting will definitely make some a great deal of money...........and others great losses. The NFL does little to reign in even obvious cases of phoney player injury statuses.............much like the situation with obvious cases of on-field missed or wrongly called penalties.

Every report out there is solely based on the Jags HC Pederson's statement. The mechanism for high ankle sprain was entirely absent. Having communicated now with other surgeons, including those close to the situation agree with me that Lawrence's injury was a low ankle sprain..........the only reason that explains the optimism for a quick return. The NFL Injury Reports are more and more being manipulated, and negating its original purpose of helping to determine more realistic/honest Vegas odds. With the advent of widespread legalized gambling, far-reaching "fraud" in injury reporting will definitely make some a great deal of money...........and others great losses. The NFL does little to reign in even obvious cases of phoney player injury statuses.............much like the situation with obvious cases of on-field missed or wrongly called penalties.
Yep from the lack of injury reporting to the blown calls, it's rather obvious what's going on these days.

Last edited:

Thanks a million as always Doc. So insightful and helpful to us nonmedical folks. We appreciate you!

Based on your diagnosis of a low ankle sprain, do you think Trevor could play as soon as this weekend against the Browns?

Keep this up and you will find a horse's head in your bed! Signed
Capo
Roger Goodell

If one connects the dots, the Broncos are now lead by Sean Peyton, who was in New Orleans during "Bountygate".
Keep in mind how many times Kareem Jackson has been flagged for his hits this season.
And now this unfortunate incident.
Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Last edited:
INJURY REPORTHOUSTON TEXANS
Table - Injury report
PlayerPositionInjuryWedThuFriGame Status
George FantOTHipDNPUnspecified
Neville HewittLBHamstringDNPUnspecified
Laremy TunsilOTKneeDNPUnspecified
Jimmie WardSAFShoulderDNPUnspecified
Robert WoodsWRNot Injury Related - RestDNPUnspecified
Will Anderson Jr.DEShoulderLPUnspecified
Noah BrownWRKneeLPUnspecified
Sheldon RankinsDTElbow / ShoulderLPUnspecified
Dalton SchultzTEHamstringLPUnspecified
Denzel PerrymanMLBKneeFPUnspecified
NEW YORK JETS

Table - Injury report
Jason BrownleeWRAnkleDNPUnspecified
John Franklin-MyersDEAnkleDNPUnspecified
Breece HallRBAnkleDNPUnspecified
Aaron RodgersQBAchillesDNPUnspecified
Wes SchweitzerGCalfDNPUnspecified
Mekhi BectonOTKneeLPUnspecified
Tyler ConklinTEHamstringLPUnspecified
Billy TurnerOTFingerLPUnspecified
Quincy WilliamsLBKneeLPUnspecified

What? With Aaron Rodgers on their injury report, does that mean he's on their active roster??

What? With Aaron Rodgers on their injury report, does that mean he's on their active roster??
Rodgers on 11/29 began to practice, opening up the 21 day window to be placed on the active roster. During this window, he does not count toward the active roster. The reason he decided to enter the window this early was to be able to become active while the team is still fighting for a playoff spot and/or being able to participate in the playoffs if the jets do make it. Rodgers has yet to be cleared for contact.

INJURY REPORT

Table - Injury report
Jason BrownleeWRAnkleDNPDNPDNPOut
John Franklin-MyersDEAnkleDNPDNPLPQuestionable
Breece HallRBAnkleDNPDNPLPQuestionable
Aaron RodgersQBAchillesDNPLPLPOut
Wes SchweitzerGCalfDNPDNPDNPOut
Mekhi BectonOTKneeLPFPFP(-)
Tyler ConklinTEHamstringLPLPFP(-)
Billy TurnerOTFingerLPFPFP(-)
Quincy WilliamsLBKneeLPLPFP(-)
Carter WarrenOTHip(-)(-)LPQuestionable

Are we facing a team with an O-line more beat-up than ours?

Anderson is playing. Fant is very likely playing. Schultz is definitely out.

as for Noah he is iffy as of last report. Might be a game time decision. If it’s rainy and slippery I’d favor holding him out even though that leaves us paper thin. Just my two cents.

@CloakNNNdagger What do you think about Anderson and Brown not participating yesterday?
Brown's knee has been an intermittent chronic problem. He may need a clean up at the end of the season.

Anderson, from what I've been able to find out, suffered a subluxation of his shoulder (not a dislocation) and in order to fully recover he will need the rest and rehab that the offseason can afford him. Unless he suffers another subluxation or dislocation, his shoulder should be able to heal without surgery.

Trevor Lawrence expects to play despite ankle injury
By Michael David Smith
Published December 10, 2023 04:20 AM

Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence appears to be ready to play today against the Browns, just six days after suffering a high ankle sprain.

Lawrence wants to go and expects to go, and a final decision will be based on how he looks during pregame warmups, according to multiple reports.

That’s surprisingly good news for the Jaguars: When Lawrence went down against the Bengals, it looked like a very serious injury that would force him to miss significant time. He did miss the rest of that game, an overtime loss, but returning six days later would represent a very swift recovery.

Trevor is playing. I thought the best case was he'd only miss one game. This is a semi-miracle for a high ankle sprain. I know Doc swears it isn't, and I trust him, but all official reports say high ankle sprain.

The Browns have a damn good defense....but Miles Garrett has been hobbled lately and hasn't been as effective as the earlier game-wrecker he had been. Time will tell if this is a wise decision. If he aggravates that ankle, Jag fans won't be happy. If he balls out and they beat the Browns, everyone will think it was genius. Such is the life of an NFL HC.

Trevor is playing. I thought the best case was he'd only miss one game. This is a semi-miracle for a high ankle sprain. I know Doc swears it isn't, and I trust him, but all official reports say high ankle sprain.

The Browns have a damn good defense....but Miles Garrett has been hobbled lately and hasn't been as effective as the earlier game-wrecker he had been. Time will tell if this is a wise decision. If he aggravates that ankle, Jag fans won't be happy. If he balls out and they beat the Browns, everyone will think it was genius. Such is the life of an NFL HC.
This is pretty early return for Trevor, even for a low ankle sprain. He still may not make it through the game.

Back