Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Injury Discussion Thread

So Will Anderson MCL Grade I, probably needs rest right? How many games do you expect him to miss Doc?
While we're waiting for @CloakNNNdagger opinion, here's what the interwebs says:

Source: Sports Injury Clinic: MCL Sprain - Symptoms, Treatment, Exercises & Rehabilitation (sportsinjuryclinic.net)

If the minimum is 3 weeks, expect the Texans staff to rest him for only 2.
Actually, a Grade I MCL can require anywhere from a few days to 3 weeks depending on the extent and distribution of ligamen fiber disruption. In my opinion, being smart, at very least 1-2 weeks [After a full week of full practice].

A lineman has a better chance of returning early, since he can wear a supportive knee brace. An OLB or skill player cannot wear a knee brace without it significantly negatively affecting his performance.

Against the Bengals, Anderson appeared quite sluggish. He was involved in only 1 assisted tackle with no pressures.

Last edited:
2 different people have told me this.

Minds aren't going to be changed

Bottom line is Caserio gets the guys the coaches want.
Are these the same people that told you Lovie was just a bridge coach?

Did they think through the implications before telling you this crap?

Hopefully Noah is back for Jax. It’s not clear how major this injury is, but just crossing fingers. Noah and Nico both have historically been injured and not available for stretches of each season. So Nico was out…now he comes back and will ball out this Sunday, while Noah sits. Athletically, they aren’t that different and CJ is making bank for both of these guys.

Is Scruggs coming off of the IR?
No, not yet. It's been two weeks plus since the last news was "one or two weeks". Tomorrow, Sunday, will be 12 weeks since his injury against the Saints.

Deiter has been performing well at center and with only seven games remaining after Sunday, how likely is it Scruggs will replace Howard at LG, should he be released next week.

The OL is beginning to develope some continuity and should continue to improve as the Texans make their playoff run. Barring injury, Scruggs may not see any playing time this season.

Tytus Howard continues to be graded, at LG, as the Texans poorest performing offensive lineman. His overall season grade is 48.7, with pass blocking grade 48.2 and run blocking grade also 48.2. These are not starting grades.

Except for the continuity developing with the OL, by all rights, he should be replaced.

If we haven't seen Broeker up until now, will we see him given snaps?
Scruggs hasn't been released from IR and after he is, how long will it take for him to regain playing condition and learn blocking assignments?

Our current OL lineup will probably be what we see for the remainder of the season.

No, not yet. It's been two weeks plus since the last news was "one or two weeks". Tomorrow, Sunday, will be 12 weeks since his injury against the Saints.

Deiter has been performing well at center and with only seven games remaining after Sunday, how likely is it Scruggs will replace Howard at LG, should he be released next week.

The OL is beginning to develope some continuity and should continue to improve as the Texans make their playoff run. Barring injury, Scruggs may not see any playing time this season.
Depending on how the season goes and how tight the race for the playoffs are I'd still love to see Scruggs get time at C because I still think he's the future for us at that position.

Obviously if the race is neck and neck into the final week then he's SOL because I still favor the continuity, but I'd love to get him some time in live action especially calling protections.

Depending on how the season goes and how tight the race for the playoffs are I'd still love to see Scruggs get time at C because I still think he's the future for us at that position.

Obviously if the race is neck and neck into the final week then he's SOL because I still favor the continuity, but I'd love to get him some time in live action especially calling protections.
I agree. Coming back, late, from an injury, it's always good to give the body a "test run" before heading into the off season. And gives the coaches a look at the ppossibilities. But I do see it neck and neck with the Jags down the stretch.

Has anyone heard any rumor of Juice Scrugg's return from his Grade II Hamstring injury? it sure seems like he should have been back with the team by now.
I've been paying close attention to this. The last report I've seen was two & a half weeks ago by Aaron Wilson who reported it would be another week or two. This has obviously passed. The Card game was 12 weeks since Scruggs' injury. Twelve weeks recovery is more typical for a grade 3 complete tear. So there must be something else going on with Scruggs. There hasn't been a player transaction posted today on the Texans site.

Has anyone heard any rumor of Juice Scrugg's return from his Grade II Hamstring injury? it sure seems like he should have been back with the team by now.
I've been paying close attention to this. The last report I've seen was two & a half weeks ago by Aaron Wilson who reported it would be another week or two. This has obviously passed. The Card game was 12 weeks since Scruggs' injury. Twelve weeks recovery is more typical for a grade 3 complete tear. So there must be something else going on with Scruggs. There hasn't been a player transaction posted today on the Texans site.
There is no Grade III hamstring rupture. Scruggs has had a setback as he geared up his rehab to return. A late rehab setback can cause the rehab to delay at least a month and many times start over again. The Texans are likely to try to dress this up with lipstick.

There is no Grade III hamstring rupture. Scruggs has had a setback as he geared up his rehab to return. A late rehab setback can cause the rehab to delay at least a month and many times start over again. The Texans are likely to try to dress this up with lipstick.
Well, that's not great. Given that information, would it be best for them to shut him down for the year?

Well, that's not great. Given that information, would it be best for them to shut him down for the year?
If he can't make it back in the next month, I'd be hesitant to try to get him back on the field this season. That decision may be made by the situation itself. Keep in mind that hamstring re-injuries occur in ~1/3 of cases within the 1st year of return..............most occur within the 1st month...........and most of those within the 1st 2 weeks.

"If he can't make it back in the next month, I'd be hesitant to try to get him back on the field this season. That decision may be made by the situation itself. Keep in mind that hamstring re-injuries occur in ~1/3 of cases within the 1st year of return..............most occur within the 1st month...........and most of those within the 1st 2 weeks." - CloakNNNdagger

With this in mind, Scruggs has never been a "starter", excepting preseason. It would not be a reasonable decision to have him replace either Deiter or Howard on the starting OL. After all, you only have two full contact practices each week and the primary focus of these is preparation for the next game.

If, or when, Scruggs is released from IR, there is a 21 day window when he can practice but need not be activated to the 53. During this time, Deiter and/or Howard would be getting the majority of the practice snaps, but Scruggs could be eased back into full contact, and perhaps minimizing the chance of re-injury.

Barring injury to Deiter or Howard, I would think it best not to play Scruggs this season, except maybe for a few snaps each game after being activated, just to get his feet wet. If most re-injury occurs within two weeks of return to play, maybe this possibility could be minimized while still giving Scruggs some game experience toward next season, not to mention familiarity with his blocking assignments.

If he can't make it back in the next month, I'd be hesitant to try to get him back on the field this season. That decision may be made by the situation itself. Keep in mind that hamstring re-injuries occur in ~1/3 of cases within the 1st year of return..............most occur within the 1st month...........and most of those within the 1st 2 weeks.
And posters complain about Stingley being injured.

I'm not sure we have an apples-to-apples comparison there Stingley has a long history of missing long stretches of each season. I'm pretty sure Scruggs will get the same Stingley-type comments if he misses 6+ games again next year.

Stingley is talented, but he has to be available 14+ games a season for a few years before he'll shake the 'injured to often' moniker.

I'm not sure we have an apples-to-apples comparison there Stingley has a long history of missing long stretches of each season. I'm pretty sure Scruggs will get the same Stingley-type comments if he misses 6+ games again next year.

Stingley is talented, but he has to be available 14+ games a season for a few years before he'll shake the 'injured to often' moniker.

Agreed. It’s Apples and oranges. Juice also wasn’t the 3rd overall with an obvious alternate choice with no major injury history.

It's not an apples to apples comparison. Stingley actually played in games his rookie yr.

Agreed. It’s Apples and oranges. Juice also wasn’t the 3rd overall with an obvious alternate choice with no major injury history.
Other than the incredible back injury that people thought he'd retire from.

That said I overall agree with your point.

Other than the incredible back injury that people thought he'd retire from.

That said I overall agree with your point.
Draft status seems to really matter around these parts I guess to those that this matters to must be really upset that the Texans didn't pick Maxx Crosby. My mind thinks more player centric. I'm looking for guys that have the traits to be difference makers, no matter what rd they're drafted in. Of course over the years I have learned a lot from CnD about injuries and didn't want Stingley at 1-3. With this said Stingley has been sold in the games he's played, except for one long TD pass he gave up.

Last edited:
Draft status seems to really matter around these parts I guess to those that this matters to must be really upset that the Texans didn't pick Maxx Crosby. My mind thinks more player centric. I'm looking for guys that have the traits to be difference makers, no matter what rd they're drafted in. Of course over the years I have learned a lot from CnD about injuries and didn't want Stingley at 1-3. With this said Stingley has been sold in the games he's played, except for one long TD pass he gave up.

Let's be entirely honest, Stingley's Cardinals INT would have been a 2nd TD allowed had the pass not been grossly underthrown by Murray.

1700698616416.png

What WR targets will Stroud have this Sunday? Will Noah Brown be back? If not, he will keep slinging it to whoever is open, I have no doubt.

Pierce and To’o To’o are back at practice in full capacity. Scruggs starting his 3 week window with a full practice is nice to see.

Unfortunate to hear Dylan Horton will be taking a leave of absence due to a personal health matter. Noah Brown and Jimmie Ward also trending out again this week starting off with DNPs.

Any idea what grade hamstring injury Ward sustained @CloakNNNdagger ?

Only 12 players on the injury report this week, and 4 of those were full practice, 1 was rest, and another was illness.

Are we finally getting healthy (knock on wood)?
Even if we (cough) lose to the kitties (hurl), I am hoping we get enough key players back off injury to still mount a strong challenge and snag a wildcard. Getting Jimmy Ward and Denzel Perryman back will be huge for the D.
In that scenario, this team will be a handful.

Even if we (cough) lose to the kitties (hurl), I am hoping we get enough key players back off injury to still mount a strong challenge and snag a wildcard. Getting Jimmy Ward and Denzel Perryman back will be huge for the D.

The defense really needs those two steady veterans. There are promising young players, but the team needs dependable veterans who know their assignment and can wrap up and tackle!

The defense really needs those two steady veterans. There are promising young players, but the team needs dependable veterans who know their assignment and can wrap up and tackle!
Pitre elevates his play dramatically with Ward on the field.
I hope Noah Brown is back real soon and fully healthy - dude is a beast.

Wonder how much longer Ward will be out?

Pierce and To’o To’o are back at practice in full capacity. Scruggs starting his 3 week window with a full practice is nice to see.

Unfortunate to hear Dylan Horton will be taking a leave of absence due to a personal health matter. Noah Brown and Jimmie Ward also trending out again this week starting off with DNPs.

Any idea what grade hamstring injury Ward sustained @CloakNNNdagger ?
Wonder how much longer Ward will be out?

Ward sustained a Grade II hamstring. I would expect that he would not return in less than 4 weeks post injury. He already was dealing with a hip injury he suffered the very end of Sept and kept him out weeks 1 and 2. Two lower extremity injuries should dictate a conservative approach to return to play.

Back