Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Injury Discussion Thread

The ball landed directly in Stingley's hands.

View attachment 13125

View attachment 13124
Doc, how many times have you seen a DB drop a ball like this?

Nelson dropped one yesterday. Tartt a few yrs ago dropped one that if he had caught it the 49ers would've made another SB. Was it an easy play? Yes, was it a play that we see the DB drop the pass fairly regularly? Yes.

Stingley had a solid but not great game yesterday. Some good and some bad. Life of a CB in the NFL. He's currently the best CB on the Texans.

Doc, how many times have you seen a DB drop a ball like this?

Nelson dropped one yesterday. Tartt a few yrs ago dropped one that if he had caught it the 49ers would've made another SB. Was it an easy play? Yes, was it a play that we see the DB drop the pass fairly regularly? Yes.

Stingley had a solid but not great game yesterday. Some good and some bad. Life of a CB in the NFL. He's currently the best CB on the Texans.
A #3 pick (not a 2nd or 3rd rnd pick ala Tartt or Nelson) is not expected to drop passes laid up to him on a silver platter.

@CloakNNNdagger any news yet on Tytus Howard's injury?
I haven't found anything. Also, Jonah Ellis DE of University of Utah. Team is not revealing anything. He had double digit sacks. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
A #3 pick (not a 2nd or 3rd rnd pick ala Tartt or Nelson) is not expected to drop passes laid up to him on a silver platter.
And yet he has more interceptions than any other corner in his class.

This whole where he was selected is such a red herring.

It's not Stingley's fault he was the #3 pick. He's had a tough start to his pro career with 2 stints on the IR. But he's doing the best he can and is helping the team.
You're correct that it's not Stingley's fault he was the #3 pick. That falls squarely on Caserio & Lovie.

Not surprised, this was Caserio's worst signing. 18 mil for a guy that Fant is as good as at RT and Howard sucks at LG. Avg overrated player who played like crap after he got paid. SMH, I called this.

Imagine if Caserio had waited to re-sign Howard, he could have spent that 18 mil plus probably another 7 mil to bring Hunter home. Hey Nick finding an avg RT isn't hard to do as you've proven this yr with Fant/Jones signings. Disgusted.

Not surprised, this was Caserio's worst signing. 18 mil for a guy that Fant is as good as at RT and Howard sucks at LG. Avg overrated player who played like crap after he got paid. SMH, I called this.

Imagine if Caserio had waited to re-sign Howard, he could have spent that 18 mil plus probably another 7 mil to bring Hunter home. Hey Nick finding an avg RT isn't hard to do as you've proven this yr with Fant/Jones signings. Disgusted.
In fairness given the tackle market and what we saw last summer Howard was always going to get that contract either here or elsewhere. I think it was a safe way to hedge.

I still don't think it's an awful deal as at worst we can get out of it after next year with nothing that really damages us.

Fant was not good at all last year, thus the reason why he was available. Props to him for getting his act together. Howard was solid last year, thus the reason why the Texans paid him. Unfortunately he got injured and Fant stepped in and is playing very good at RT. Moving him to a position that he’s not good at.
Hindsight is 20/20 bud and we as fans gotta stop overeating to things like this. This is not Caserio’s worst signing. And no one can predict when players will get hurt.

Last edited:
Fant was not good at all last year, thus the reason why he was available. Props to him for getting his act together. Howard was solid last year this the reason why the Texans paid him. Unfortunately he got injured and Fant stepped in and is playing very good at RT. Moving him to a position that he’s not good at.
Hindsight is 20/20 bud and we as fans gotta stop overeating to things like this. This is not Caserio’s worst signing. And no one can predict when players will get hurt.
Howard has never been an 18 mil a year player. Regardless of how Fant plays I tried to tell y'all that once Howard got paid that his performance would drop and I'm talking about when he was playing LG before this season. As a RT he's always been an avg player. Caserio paid him for his potential rather than performance. What in Howard's past performance told you he should have been the 11th highest paid OT in the NFL. We're not talking about LT"s we're talking about all OT's.

Howard has never been an 18 mil a year player. Regardless of how Fant plays I tried to tell y'all that once Howard got paid that his performance would drop and I'm talking about when he was playing LG before this season. As a RT he's always been an avg player. Caserio paid him for his potential rather than performance. What in Howard's past performance told you he should have been the 11th highest paid OT in the NFL. We're not talking about LT"s we're talking about all OT's.
Says who? The Texans believe he’s worth it. Are you saying you can do their jobs better?

Says who? The Texans believe he’s worth it. Are you saying you can do their jobs better?
I'm saying Caserio screwed the pooch on the Howard signing. Not anything more or less.

11th highest paid OT in the NFL. Think about that for a moment.

And to think some call me a Caserio apologist. 😂

You think Howard is is the 11 the best OT in the NFL and worth 18 million dollars per year? Wow.

Agree to disagree.
Just to clarify, Howard is a $2.2 million player in 2023. His contract extension does not begin until next season and his prorated bonus begins with 2023 which impacts his cap but it's only because of the contract beginning in 2024. Even including the proration, he's a $7.2 million player.

While I doubt it happens, Howard could be probowler in 2024 if left at RT.
It seems that you are saying that he is not worth the extension and I agree; so far he is not but we do not know what he's going to be when the extension begins.
I think all would agree that he was extended based on the thought that he would be the right tackle for the future not the left guard.

Just to clarify, Howard is a $2.2 million player in 2023. His contract extension does not begin until next season and his prorated bonus begins with 2023 which impacts his cap but it's only because of the contract beginning in 2024. Even including the proration, he's a $7.2 million player.

While I doubt it happens, Howard could be probowler in 2024 if left at RT.
It seems that you are saying that he is not worth the extension and I agree; so far he is not but we do not know what he's going to be when the extension begins.
I think all would agree that he was extended based on the thought that he would be the right tackle for the future not the left guard.
I think after all of these yrs we've got a pretty good idea of who Howard is and it isn't an 18 a mil player. I tried to tell y'all and this isn't me being a know it all. All Howard will be is an avg RT. We can hope for the best, but I ain't gonna happen. I just hope that Caserio had a clause written that can get them out of the contract after yr 2. But who knows. This is a question for JWCasper. If you know how to tag him he probably will have the answer.

I think after all of these yrs we've got a pretty good idea of who Howard is and it isn't an 18 a mil player. I tried to tell y'all and this isn't me being a know it all. All Howard will be is an avg RT. We can hope for the best, but I ain't gonna happen. I just hope that Caserio had a clause written that can get them out of the contract after yr 2. But who knows. This is a question for JWCasper. If you know how to tag him he probably will have the answer.
Howard can be let go after 2024 with very little cap ramifications.

Most seem to be happy with the play of Fant. I'd think that would kinda frame the "cost of replacement" discussion. Or, are you saying Howard would have been much, much better than Fant at RT?

In fairness given the tackle market and what we saw last summer Howard was always going to get that contract either here or elsewhere. I think it was a safe way to hedge.

I still don't think it's an awful deal as at worst we can get out of it after next year with nothing that really damages us.
Howard can be let go after 2024 with very little cap ramifications.
An older NFL study showed that players suffering a patellar tendon rupture returned to play in 50% of cases. Those that returned, had significant problems with knee pain and stiffness. A newer study of men and women athletes showed a better return rate, BUT..............only when their BMI was less than 25............and then those that were able to return would return to what would be their best return performance (less than pre-injury) no sooner than ~18 months post repair.

Howard at 6'5" and 320 lbs comes in at a BMI at 37+. Furthermore, there is evidence that Howard's patellar tendon was shredding prior to ultimate rupture.......thus a factor worsening the final prognosis.

An older NFL study showed that players suffering a patellar tendon rupture returned to play in 50% of cases. Those that returned, had significant problems with knee pain and stiffness. A newer study of men and women athletes showed a better return rate, BUT..............only when their BMI was less than 25............and then those that were able to return would return to what would be their best return performance (less than pre-injury) no sooner than ~18 months post repair.

Howard at 6'5" and 320 lbs comes in at a BMI at 37+. Furthermore, there is evidence that Howard's patellar tendon was shredding prior to ultimate rupture.......thus a factor worsening the final prognosis.
That is the evidence I was looking for as I had read that a small tear had occurred before he was injured and went out in his last game but I could not find it again. Doc, did you see anything with Howard performance earlier this season? It seemed to me like he just wasn't comfortable in his stance whether it was in run or pass blocking.

That is the evidence I was looking for as I had read that a small tear had occurred before he was injured and went out in his last game but I could not find it again. Doc, did you see anything with Howard performance earlier this season? It seemed to me like he just wasn't comfortable in his stance whether it was in run or pass blocking.
I noticed, as a contrast to previous pattern, that for a while, he was not taking a low crouch nor was he strongly pushing off the line.......usually something that reflects a knee problem.

Is this the same injury Derek Newton had when he somehow managed to rupture both?

Back