Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Injury Discussion Thread

No bargain there. The Ravens will use third-year Brandon Stephens to fill Humphrey's role as their top corner. The 2021 third-rounder turned into a lockdown corner in his break-out 2023 season despite being one of the most targeted.

interestingly, it’s thanks to the Texans for making Culley HC that they got Stephens, and Linderbaum at C who is a beast. Due to the diversity program, when Culley was signed, the Ravens got compensatory draft picks. After trades and all, they ended up with these two plus their punter.

Any injuries we should be worried about for the upcoming season (including training camp)? Or should everyone be healed up and ready to go again?

Any injuries we should be worried about for the upcoming season (including training camp)? Or should everyone be healed up and ready to go again?

I think a few have surgeries lined up. Don’t know how many, but I’m pretty sure Tunsil is going under the knife.

His injury history may not make this entirely realistic.

'*****************
He had shoulder surgery, I believe, in October and you previously stated 6 to 9 months rehab recovery, with a 20% chance he may not suceed in coming back.

He had earlier addressed his knee and pec issues.

So he should be ready to make an attempt to come back by June or July. I guess the questions are, how successful will he be, and how susceptible will he be to reinjury? His weight will obviously be an issue for his knees.

I have a higher expectation for Kendrick Green to come back from his injury.

I think Green gets one last shot to be the man at LG. If he can't, whether due to injury or performance, he'll likely be cut and end up as arguably the biggest 1st round bust in Texan history. And a G in the top half of the first no less. Most people say never take a G that high, so if you do and then it turns into a total bust, that's a huge demerit on Nick's report card.

He had shoulder surgery, I believe, in October and you previously stated 6 to 9 months rehab recovery, with a 20% chance he may not suceed in coming back.

He had earlier addressed his knee and pec issues.

So he should be ready to make an attempt to come back by June or July. I guess the questions are, how successful will he be, and how susceptible will he be to reinjury? His weight will obviously be an issue for his knees.

I've addressed the fact that after 2 meniscus excisions (not 1 excision and 1 repair as reported by Houston media), his knee is essentially already bon-on-bone. Not a great prognosis, especially with his weight.

Studies, although somewhat limited in numbers indicate that return to play rates after isolated meniscal repair (which Kendrick had) are high, with an overall return to play rate of 80-85% and a mean return to play time of 8.7 months. He won't be quite ready for OTAs, but should be for TC.

I think Green gets one last shot to be the man at LG. If he can't, whether due to injury or performance, he'll likely be cut and end up as arguably the biggest 1st round bust in Texan history.
There haven't been many, but it would be a close race.

rawImage.jpg

This could really be it’s own thread. These are good off-season topics to poke around with. But I think top first round bust contestants would be David Carr, Travis Johnson, Okoye, and Kevin Johnson. Green would be in that group somewhere if he doesn’t turn it on big time in 24. But he still has a shot if his health is good. I’m skeptical but willing to give the young man a shot in 24, and I think that’s the approach the Texans will go with.

just for a fun topic, if anyone wants to chime in on their top 3 or whatever….go for it.

I think Green gets one last shot to be the man at LG. If he can't, whether due to injury or performance, he'll likely be cut and end up as arguably the biggest 1st round bust in Texan history. And a G in the top half of the first no less. Most people say never take a G that high, so if you do and then it turns into a total bust, that's a huge demerit on Nick's report card.
I think Kenyon Green will be on the roster, however if they think he cannot recover enough to be at least a solid backup this year, that he be designated a post June 1st cut before the third day of training camp. This would allow them to avoid the $500,000 roster bonus and divide up the remaining $6 million guaranteed owed to him over two seasons. This would add an extra three and a half million dollars to the cap. I do not think this will happen.

This could really be it’s own thread. These are good off-season topics to poke around with. But I think top first round bust contestants would be David Carr, Travis Johnson, Okoye, and Kevin Johnson. Green would be in that group somewhere if he doesn’t turn it on big time in 24. But he still has a shot if his health is good. I’m skeptical but willing to give the young man a shot in 24, and I think that’s the approach the Texans will go with.

just for a fun topic, if anyone wants to chime in on their top 3 or whatever….go for it.
Kendrick should get a shot 2024 not Kenyon, correct? Bone on bone for the latter.

Love Tunsil, he's a tough dude. Played most of the season on one leg. (Knee) and was still a top 5 LT.

To think some wanted to trade him for a late 1st early 2nd rd pick.
And I would gladly restructure his contract to where we give him even -more- money.

Not really but yeah I’ve never really understood all the Tunsil frustration from this fan base. The man is a pass-blocking FREAK.

And I would gladly restructure his contract to where we give him even -more- money.

Not really but yeah I’ve never really understood all the Tunsil frustration from this fan base. The man is a pass-blocking FREAK.
It has to do with the fact that BOB traded for Tunsil and many here didn't like the trade. Obviously regardless of how Tunsil performed some were never going to appreciate how talented he is.

It has to do with the fact that BOB traded for Tunsil and many here didn't like the trade. Obviously regardless of how Tunsil performed some were never going to appreciate how talented he is.

I liked the Tunsil trade, but like many others, felt like the team gave up too much in the trade without a long term contract already worked out. Another aggravation is his penchant to commit drive killing penalties (false starts primarily) when they hurt the most. His inability to run block is an eye sore which could be potentially contributed to the piss-poor play at LG (due to injuries) or the fact that he just isn't an effective run blocker.

Tunsil's pass blocking is a very finesse approach of riding DE's around the pocket, which has worked for the majority of time.....or to the tune of a top 5 pass blocker ranking.

I view the money he's getting paid as a lot for a one-trick pony LT. I'd like to pay that money to a more complete LT who helps move the needle in the run game.

I'd like to see if a healthy Tunsil and solid IOL wind up making the difference in helping him to become as good a run blocker as he is a pass blocker......that's when the Texans could start throwing stupid money his way.

I liked the Tunsil trade, but like many others, felt like the team gave up too much in the trade without a long term contract already worked out. Another aggravation is his penchant to commit drive killing penalties (false starts primarily) when they hurt the most. His inability to run block is an eye sore which could be potentially contributed to the piss-poor play at LG (due to injuries) or the fact that he just isn't an effective run blocker.

Tunsil's pass blocking is a very finesse approach of riding DE's around the pocket, which has worked for the majority of time.....or to the tune of a top 5 pass blocker ranking.

I view the money he's getting paid as a lot for a one-trick pony LT. I'd like to pay that money to a more complete LT who helps move the needle in the run game.

I'd like to see if a healthy Tunsil and solid IOL wind up making the difference in helping him to become as good a run blocker as he is a pass blocker......that's when the Texans could start throwing stupid money his way.
If an offense cant overcome an occasional false start penalty then the offense has big problems.

He's always been an avg run blocker. What we dont know is if this is due to having to play next to LG's that truly suck. Hopefully Green makes it back and the run blocking improves. One things for sure, the way he gutted it out and played at a high level means he's a team player. Many would've shut it down for the season. So the hand injury where he sat out was obviously part of the tank.

I personally don't care who they trade or don't trade, as long as it makes sense.

I liked the Tunsil trade, but like many others, felt like the team gave up too much in the trade without a long term contract already worked out.
At the time it seemed like a window was opening up. I liked the bold move. But it was a symptom of a bigger problem. I think we drafted two tackles that year & didn't feel either could play LT at the end of camp.

Being so late in the preseason the contract thing didn't bother me. For what we were giving up we thought highly enough of him to meet whatever contract demands. As long as he was willing to sign with Houston & he obviously was... couldn't care less.

Another aggravation is his penchant to commit drive killing penalties (false starts primarily) when they hurt the most.
That seems like a more recent thing, last two seasons. Before that, I didn't see it as pronounced.
His inability to run block is an eye sore
I guess I'm not seeing what you're seeing. I wouldn't say he isn't capable of run blocking. He's not elite, but he's not trash. I can't make heads or tails of what their "plan" is. What they're trying to accomplish & that's more of an issue than any of our OL's physical ability.

jmo.

I personally don't care who they trade or don't trade, as long as it makes sense.

At the time it seemed like a window was opening up. I liked the bold move. But it was a symptom of a bigger problem. I think we drafted two tackles that year & didn't feel either could play LT at the end of camp.

Being so late in the preseason the contract thing didn't bother me. For what we were giving up we thought highly enough of him to meet whatever contract demands. As long as he was willing to sign with Houston & he obviously was... couldn't care less.

That seems like a more recent thing, last two seasons. Before that, I didn't see it as pronounced.

I guess I'm not seeing what you're seeing. I wouldn't say he isn't capable of run blocking. He's not elite, but he's not trash. I can't make heads or tails of what their "plan" is. What they're trying to accomplish & that's more of an issue than any of our OL's physical ability.

jmo.
BOB was better than most around him give credit for.

His biggest issue was his inability to coach up talent. particularly on the OL. I cant believe Devlin got another job.

jmo.

I also mentioned that Tunsil’s inability to show he’s an effective run blocker could be attributed to the lousy LG and C play since he arrived. I’d like to see how he performs this season (if healthy) with the right IOL pieces finally on the roster to potentially give the Texans a rock solid unit in all phases of blocking.

There haven't been many, but it would be a close race.

rawImage.jpg

Not a close race the way I remember it. When Okoye was first drafted, there wasn’t much clamor around here. He just ended up being one of the crap shoots that came up snake eyes. (and for the record, I don’t think there’s a team in the league, where someone somewhere isn’t keeping a running tally of first round busts):rolleyes:

Travis Johnson sticks out to me. In case someone is having a problem remembering, the Texans had the 13th pick, and before the draft, everyone was screaming for them to trade up to get Derrick Johnson because nobody thought he would fall to 13, but he did. Everyone here was over the moon because they thought it would be a no brainer that Casserly would take Derrick Johnson. But Casserly being Casserly traded the pick down to 16, and Kansas City took him at 15. (and look at the career he had) And then at 16, it was Travis “who”. He wasn’t even given a chance because he always reminded people of not taking Derrick Johnson. Looking back, even if the Chiefs didn’t take him at 15, Casserly wouldn’t have drafted him. (kind of a little FU to the fans)

Last edited:
Thanks for that reminder Marcus lol. Not a good reminder. Travis was below avg as a pro, and given his draft position, he’s a bust. Good dude though and he’s around the Texans a lot. But I think we all universally wanted Derrick Johnson, who had a great career up in KC.

Thanks for that reminder Marcus lol. Not a good reminder. Travis was below avg as a pro, and given his draft position, he’s a bust. Good dude though and he’s around the Texans a lot. But I think we all universally wanted Derrick Johnson, who had a great career up in KC.

I know he put up a couple years of decent sack numbers, but Amobi Okoye at #8, to me, was a giant swing and miss.

I know he put up a couple years of decent sack numbers, but Amobi Okoye at #8, to me, was a giant swing and miss.
I keep thinking of Amobi Okoye when I see people getting upset that Caserio has covered all bases with JAG vets after making a couple of splash signings. Amobi Okoye is what happens when you desperately need a body at DT and you have a high draft pick burning a hole in your pocket.
I hope that dude is doing well btw he seemed a great guy just in a terrible situation and I remember him having some health issues a while ago.

Jason Babin was the worst pick in franchise history.

It’s not the player.

It’s because Casserly traded a 2nd, 3rd and 5th round pick to none other than the Tennessee Oilers.

How ******* stupid was that?

I had zero problem with that trade at the time. Babin was pretty good for ahwile too.

I had zero problem with that trade at the time. Babin was pretty good for ahwile too.

It was dumb then and dumber now in hindsight. IMHO.

Being pretty good isn’t good enough to spend all those picks on.

I would be interested to know the draft points we spent on the Babin trade vs the draft points the WFJr trade.

It was dumb then and dumber now in hindsight. IMHO.

Being pretty good isn’t good enough to spend all those picks on.

I would be interested to know the draft points we spent on the Babin trade vs the draft points the WFJr trade.
Based off career production, Babin went pretty much where he should have gone in the 2004 draft. The problem was that the majority of Babin's production came after he left the Texans. 51.5 of Jason's 64.5 sacks came after he was traded.

Here is the breakdown of the draft day trade that ended with the Texans selecting Babin at 1.27 in the 2004 draft.

April 24, 2004: Traded by Titans as 2004 1st round pick (27th overall) with 2004 5th round pick (159th overall subsequently traded , Sean Bubin) to Texans for 2004 2nd round pick (40th overall, Ben Troupe), 2004 3rd round pick (71st overall, Randy Starks), 2004 4th round pick (103rd overall, Bo Schobel) and 2004 5th round pick (138th overall, Jacob Bell)

And now it is looking even better with Demeco here.
I can imagine him going to or phoning Caserio all the time with ideas and suggestions and questions and that would get Caserio moving and keen even more too.
Is 2 people working together a great thing?

Back