Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Injury Discussion Thread

First of all, from what I've found, Dell suffered a distal fibula ankle fracture. If these fractures are treated without surgery, which is the case in 50% of these fractures (I have had no indication that he underwent surgery), the average return to play is 9-10 weeks. This is as opposed to a mid shaft fibular fracture which averages 5-6 weeks.
great input Doc! So with team doctors.. he will play Saturday versus Browns.

Anyone hearing any word about Woods or Noah? We need at least one of these two for sure. If Noah can play, that opens up some better options and gives us another weapon.

Metchie and Hutch can't get open to save their lives.
I think Noah will be available vs Cleveland.
2024? I'm sure due to cap cost for Brown, Hutch and Metchie being low {Nick gave Metchie $5.6 m GTD wow} all will return unless Noah Brown gets better offer.

We need Noah bad Woods would be nice, but Noah is more impactful.
Noah Brown: started 7 games regular season 33 of 55 targets @17.2 yds; 2TD 52% catch rate which should improve in 2024. Yards per target is 10.3%. 24 first downs 73%!
Health of course as with other Texans is an issue.

Robert Woods: started 11/14 games regular season 40 of 75 targets 426 yds @ 10.7 per. 1 TD; 26 first downs 65%.

11 of 14 games? Did the NFL shorten its schedule back to the early 70’s and I missed it? If I am Nick, I’m releasing Woods. Good guy, good run blocker, but he is not that impactful and his body is breaking down, so he cannot be relied on.

I like Noah. Kid can ball. But his career is littered with injury. He’s also inconsistent with his routes and hands. He seems to get a little lazy at times. He will go off one week, and disappear the next. In short, you cannot rely on him. I’d bring him back for the right deal, but I’m still going after a dynamic WR to improve talent and depth.

11 of 14 games? Did the NFL shorten its schedule back to the early 70’s and I missed it? If I am Nick, I’m releasing Woods. Good guy, good run blocker, but he is not that impactful and his body is breaking down, so he cannot be relied on.

I like Noah. Kid can ball. But his career is littered with injury. He’s also inconsistent with his routes and hands. He seems to get a little lazy at times. He will go off one week, and disappear the next. In short, you cannot rely on him. I’d bring him back for the right deal, but I’m still going after a dynamic WR to improve talent and depth.
^^^^
This

I would let Brown walk because I think he's going to get more money than I would pay him. I would keep Woods because he's the vet leader of the WR room, has a great work ethic can still play and is a guy that's a security blanket for Stroud. A great WR4.

Let Brown, Hutch go and draft Thomas or Legette in the 1st and Luke McCaffery or Bru McCoy in the 7th. Better developmental guys. IMHO

Hughes sustained a "minor" low ankle sprain. Although 1 week is not to rehab even a Grade I sprain. I expect him to be well-injected and heavily taped........and put out there against the Browns. If this comes to be, his performance will be compromised if not curtailed before game's end.
Prior to Hughes leaving the game Saturday, the Colts were destroying the Texans with the rushing game. After Hughes left, the Texans were much better against the run. Now, I'm not putting that entirely on Jerry. Just that the Texans need to pick their spots when using him.

Greenard was diagnosed as a Grade I low ankle sprain mid Dec. His rehab has gone slowly.

While it can be tempting to shrug off an ankle sprain as a minor injury and carrying on with normal practices, when ankle sprains don't heal correctly, you increase your risk of developing a condition called chronic ankle instability and/or compensatory injuries.
I imagine most injuries if you keep playing on them can become chronic before long ...

11/14 games that he played in?

Noah Brown: started 7 games regular season 33 of 55 targets @17.2 yds; 2TD 52% catch rate which should improve in 2024. Yards per target is 10.3%. 24 first downs 73%!
Health of course as with other Texans is an issue.

Robert Woods: started 11/14 games regular season 40 of 75 targets 426 yds @ 10.7 per. 1 TD; 26 first downs 65%.

If the Texans draft a WR high....I really wouldn't have an issue floating Metchie to the Panthers. Panthers could be interested in giving Young a receiver he's familiar with in 2024. What could Caserio get in return? Maybe Texans could throw a couple of their RD7 picks (235 & 243) and Metchie at the Panthers for their 49'ers RD5 pick (164).

If the Texans draft a WR high....I really wouldn't have an issue floating Metchie to the Panthers. Panthers could be interested in giving Young a receiver he's familiar with in 2024. What could Caserio get in return? Maybe Texans could throw a couple of their RD7 picks (235 & 243) and Metchie at the Panthers for their 49'ers RD5 pick (164).
I think Metchie would be excellent as a check down safety net for Young. Having said that, I do not think they will trade for John Metchie. I don't think we could get anything for him from any team. He needs to really step up this next year.

I think Metchie would be excellent as a check down safety net for Young. Having said that, I do not think they will trade for John Metchie. I don't think we could get anything for him from any team. He needs to really step up this next year.

Young could always pull a Stroud and get in the GM's ear......get me Metchie.

And here is why I think this Texans team relies more on their coaching than necessarily the individual talent we have on the field. For years, we clamored to 'coach our players up.' That day has arrived.

Our team has more than a puncher's chance of winning this game.
Most of the guys on defense are having career years or close to it - seems coaching is the logical reason plus they have a game winner driving the O.

And here is why I think this Texans team relies more on their coaching than necessarily the individual talent we have on the field. For years, we clamored to 'coach our players up.' That day has arrived.

Our team has more than a puncher's chance of winning this game.
Plus look at all of the new talent that has been brought in, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Noah Brown, Will Anderson, and Jonathan Greenard returned to practice on Thursday. According to this >

I haven't seen that, I was going based off what Dell and Stroud said that he told the Texans he wanted Dell and that when CJ was drafted Dell told him to tell them to come get him and CJ replied I got you don't worry.

Caserio saw Dell at senior bowl and wanted him:

Tank reached out to Texans to ask them to draft him:

How it came together (at the 5:30 mark):

All the QUESTIONABLES on both sides will either ultimately not play OR shouldn't under any semblance of normal circumstances. Both sides have a lot to prove in this game. Both sides, even though they don't publicly say it fear failure and essentially see failure as an embarrassment to their masculinity. It's a male thing, you know.
Props doc. I admit I’m now more acutely aware and concerned about the long term consequences of playing through injuries. I can only hope that Anderson, Greenard, and the rest got the best advice going forward health wise for the long term. And I would like to think that DeMeco, as former player, would help them heed thst advice. Fingers crossed.

Except that both Stroud and Dell said that Stroud told the Texans he wanted Dell. Now it could be they were planning to take Dell anyway but doesn't change that he wanted Dell and asked them to draft him and they did.
They were already planning on taking him.

They aren't going to throw away literal hours of in game + film watching + analysis + everything else that goes into studying a prospect because their new draftee asks for it.

It was a lucky circumstance of events, but that's all it was.

They were already planning on taking him.

They aren't going to throw away literal hours of in game + film watching + analysis + everything else that goes into studying a prospect because their new draftee asks for it.

It was a lucky circumstance of events, but that's all it was.

All of this. Dell had plenty going for him as a prospect. It’s not like he was some unknown and Stroud found this diamond in the rough.

Metchie and Hutch can't get open to save their lives.

From what I hear, CJ, Tank and “Metch” are close friends and hang out together. You would think CJ would be telling Metchie to “help me help you” so to speak. What I do know is this..Metchie better be doing more than he is, or he is gone.

Last edited:
From what I hear, CJ, Tank and “Metch” are close friends and hang out together. You would think CJ would be telling Metchie to “help me help you” so to speak. What I do know is this..Metchie better be doing more than he is, or he is gone.
I agree that he needs to do a lor more, but he's still a young WR and probably somewhat hampered by his cancer recovery. Maybe @CloakNNNdagger can respond with his opinion.

I agree that he needs to do a lor more, but he's still a young WR and probably somewhat hampered by his cancer recovery. Maybe @CloakNNNdagger can respond with his opinion.

**************************************************************************************

Metchie's cancer, treatment and recovery are not a factor.......his ACL rupture is what has predicted/dictated his performance deficiency. It is very unlikely to change.

**************************************************************************************

From week 18 thread [make sure to expand and read the medical article abstract regarding specifically the NFL WRs and an ACL rupture's affect on their careers that I posted below] :

I figured Metchie was still a year away from being a serious contributor going off of Quessenberry. I’d like to be wrong and his contributions start tonight!
I keep trying to tell people that is extremely unrealistic......

View attachment 13359

Decreased Performance and Return to Play Following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction in National Football League Wide Receivers
Author links open overlay panelColin J. Burgess D.O. a, Erik Stapleton D.O., M.S. a, Kenneth Choy B.A. b, Cesar Iturriaga M.D. a, Randy M. Cohn M.D. a
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asmr.2020.10.012Get rights and content

Purpose
To identify the time to return to play (RTP) and evaluate the performance level in wide receivers in the National Football League following anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction.
Methods
A total of 29 wide receivers in the National Football League who underwent ACL reconstruction between 2013 and 2017 who met inclusion criteria were retrospectively identified and reviewed. For each player, a matched control with similar demographics was identified to compare various in-game performance measurements and seasons played.
Results
Of the wide receivers that met the inclusion criteria, 9 of 29 (31%) did not RTP in a regular season game following ACL reconstruction. For players who did RTP, 20 of 29 (69%), the average time was 10.9 months (331.4 ± 41.6 days). When we compared the tear group with the matched control cohort, players with ACL tears ended their careers on an average of 1.9 seasons earlier (2.2 vs 4.1 seasons, P < .001) and also played less than half the number of games (25.5 vs 56.6 games, P = .001), respectively. Those that RTP also saw decreased performance statistics in targets (353.6 vs 125.2 P < .001), receptions (208.0 vs 74.4, P = .001), receiving yards (2691.0 vs 987.9, P = .001), and touchdowns (17.4 vs 6.2, P = .002).
Conclusions
Sixty-nine percent of wide receivers who underwent ACL reconstruction were able to RTP at an average of 10.9 months, or 331.4 days. Despite the majority of players being able to RTP, there was a significant decrease in both statistical performance and career duration.

Last edited:
Except that both Stroud and Dell said that Stroud told the Texans he wanted Dell. Now it could be they were planning to take Dell anyway but doesn't change that he wanted Dell and asked them to draft him and they did.
They asked him what he thought of Dell and gave his endorsement. No more
To me you're both saying the same thing.

They did ask him. I wonder why, that seems like an odd thing to do.

I have discovered that the "heel" injury that kept Amari Cooper out of the 2 previous games to the Texans game is the same "heel" injury that has kept him out of quite a few games since at least 2013. Not to take anything away from anyone, but Cooper was in no way ready to return to play.........his explosion and cut ability was grossly affected.

I have discovered that the "heel" injury that kept Amari Cooper out of the 2 previous games to the Texans game is the same "heel" injury that has kept him out of quite a few games since at least 2013. Not to take anything away from anyone, but Cooper was in no way ready to return to play.........his explosion and cut ability was grossly affected.

Didn’t Cooper go off on the Texans (11 catches / 265 yards / 2 TD) just 3 weeks ago? How bad was his heel 3 weeks ago?

Back