Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Indianapolis Colts @ Houston Texans. 10/9. 7:25. CBS/NFLN.**Official Gameday Thread**

Yea I'm sure you meant no disrespect...

I'm basing my opinion of Mallett on 8 years of information, which began with his freshman year in college. It's called a resume. Every player has one. His playing career didn't begin when he got traded to the Texans.

I meant no disrespect. I didn't say I agree with you. Big difference. Yeah, I mentioned you made it sound like you were an actual scout because you did. Big deal. No disrespect. I called you on it, get over it.

Wow what a game. Went to bed after the first quarter, but just watched the entire thing in 'condensed' format.

Fitz looked better, but as per usual, those damn turnovers kill us. What happened to AJ's hands... a tred is starting to emerge.

Good thing, we kept this game very much alive, not the shotout it looked like after the first.
Bad thing, don't think I ever seen so many uncalled holdings against the Colts before... jerseys being pulled left and right and hardly ever called.

I just watched the game also. Man, the defense pass interference and the refs missed the RT tripping Watt both helped the Colts convert on 3rd down in the 4th quarter was huge.

But the onside kick to the middle of an empty return field showed me Texans don't have the the intelligence to win tonight game anyway. I mean, what kind of a football minds would draw up a kicking formation like that!!

It's ironic that the Colts only healthy starters, both tackles, struggled the most on the line as opposed to the guards and center which were 2nd and 3rd on the depth chart.

Fitz played well. He wasn't heroic at the end but he was far from why Texans lost. Swearinger was garbage, hard to say it because he's one of my favorite Texans. Merciless great game. Reed beat his man for a QB hurried. First time I've seen him pulled that off this season.

Overall Colts don't impressed me. Oline is seriously in trouble. Luck still turnover prone and no running game. I think we be there at the end to challenge the division title.

LOL you talk about watching the game?

That was clearly a fumble

2nd it was a push off

3rd I said near the redzone, not in the red zone. It was certainly a lot nearer to the redzone that the Fitz fumble. Learn to read smartguy.

So it is better for Fitz to fumble on our 30, opposed to AJ fumbling on their 40. Got it :kitten:

No doubt the AJ fumble was costly, BUT had AJ not been as good as he is, Fitz has no TDs and about a 50% completions.

Obviously you have no idea, how many years has Rick Smith had (8) plus don't forget he handpicked Schaub not Kubiak! writing is on the wall, its been on the wall now its time to take him down :clown:

Actually , Schaub was Kubiak's guy .... Tho he was against giving him that extension post injury - That part is on Smith.

Wow what a game. Went to bed after the first quarter, but just watched the entire thing in 'condensed' format.

Fitz looked better, but as per usual, those damn turnovers kill us. What happened to AJ's hands... a tred is starting to emerge.

Good thing, we kept this game very much alive, not the shotout it looked like after the first.
Bad thing, don't think I ever seen so many uncalled holdings against the Colts before... jerseys being pulled left and right and hardly ever called.

I'm not shocked, It is the Norm for the Texans to get penalty after penalty on little tacky ass calls while other teams do as they please and go un penalized. I wish that you could Challenge PI calls, because the back judge threw that, he was behind Bouye and the WR. He couldn't see anything. HE was the wrong ref to make that call cause he threw it on speculation our guy was all over the WR. Total BS.

And the PI on AJ was BS as well, re watch it carefully and you will see there is NO push off by AJ, the CB has his hands all over AJ, and AJ has his hands all over him. AJ extends out for the ball, there was no push off.

Then watch the work in the trenches, Watt was held all game, Mercilus got in the back field a few times, and was obviously held to where Luck had just enough time to get rid of the ball. Watt was also tripped.

Fitz was hit at or below the knees 3 times yesterday and no one penalty.

Man it is what it is, but i have had about enough of the refs dictating how our games end.

You can even type that with a straight face? Pathetic.

And next up in revisionist history, Fitz was throwing perfect 60 yd spirals all night long and all the uncovered WRs were just watching them hit the ground.

What are you talking about? I'm talking about one play, and it wasn't revisionist history... You know, like all the fans condemning Fitzpatrick because of his fumble with 2 minutes to go.

I rarely use numbers to prove a point. Like I said, numbers rarely tell a story. I watch games and form opinions.

Who do you scout for? Many other scouts beg to differ with your opinions. Also, you seem to make snap judgements on guys.

Hey, dude, wake up. I never mentioned Manning once in my post. Where do you even get that?? Wow.

Furthermore, the call against AJ was wrong, even with IR it was wrong. I have more than a bad feeling if the Colts had the same thing happen the call would have been different. OH WAIT! A Colt DID drop a pass after a few steps and it was called incomplete. CBS was in promo mode for next week and never showed the replay.

So what! AJ still dropped the ball, unprovoked... which would have put the Texans in a 3rd and 20 instead of giving them a 1st down (or 3rd and short) around the Indy 40 yard line.

Thought I was the only one that noticed that. Dive in there!

Form over substance. He was too late. Sure love to see him dive in...actually no, I hate the time wasted with the refs digging out a pile of people who jumped on the pile just for show.

So what! AJ still dropped the ball, unprovoked... which would have put the Texans in a 3rd and 20 instead of giving them a 1st down (or 3rd and short) around the Indy 40 yard line.

You're right about that. He did drop it. He's done that a lot lately. It seems to me at just the worst gawd-awful times too (as if there is a good time).

Thought I was the only one that noticed that. Dive in there!

I couldn't sleep last night and heard ESPN or FOX, one of the all night sportstalk shows, bring it up. He will hear about this one. Many here on the thread saw it too. It was pretty blatant. The boy has no "hangers."

Andre Johnson: My fumble is to blame for Texans’ loss; LINK

Save for one play, Andre Johnson turned in his finest performance yet this season. But it was that one play -- a game-changing fumble in the fourth quarter of Thursday night's loss to the Colts -- that's sticking with him. “It cost my team,” Johnson said, via the Houston Chronicle. “I accept full responsibility for it. It’s probably why we lost (Thursday night).” The Texans' Pro Bowl receiver brought his A-game, recording seven catches for 99 yards and a touchdown, his first of the year. That's the good. The bad? It was a rare lapse from Johnson, who coughed up the ball in the midst of Houston's late rally. Indianapolis would be awarded possession in a controversial, replay-confirmed call; he arguably never secured the catch, as CBS referee expert Mike Carey echoed live on air. Johnson chalked it up to running before the catch. “I just tried to make something happen before really protecting the ball. … I wish I could play again (Friday) to chang...

Lots of things could have gone better but you have to give a guy credit when he takes the blame.

Ourlads? I don't know what that is, whatever. I'm not meaning any disrespect, but you are basing your opinion on Mallett after his freshman year in college? You and I are two different kind of scouts. :)

EDIT: Ok, I just looked up Ourlads. I thought you were, I don't know, like a real paid scout or something based on how you portrayed yourself. Hell man, I'm a scout for the Texans, and I am not one to dismiss a player today based on his freshman year a millennium ago. :twocents:

I was a CubSCOUT. Does that count?

Form over substance. He was too late. Sure love to see him dive in...actually no, I hate the time wasted with the refs digging out a pile of people who jumped on the pile just for show.

If you've ever been in a pile like that, you know the ball squirts around and changes possession. Who knows what happens had he dove in there.

Best thing about a crappy loss on Thursday night? 10 whole days to think about and argue about it.

The offense is dysfunctional and needs a leader. This team comes out flat week after week and then gradually comes back to life for stretches. It's maddening to sit through. In my opinion the same debate we have about Fitz and doubts we have about Fitz are being had and felt by the rest of the offense. You can't take a 12 year old turd and sell it to anyone who knows where it came from as delicious candy. It doesn't work like that. On what basis do you sell this guy to the offense as their leader? Here's a guy who has never had success anywhere. Fitz doesn't win. That's just reality and these players know that.

I think OB made a huge mistake bringing him here and now six games in it's clear that the offense is pretty much ready to follow this man to the practice field and maybe to the locker room but certainly not to "Hell and back" or even to victory (unless the opponent is even more broken than we are... And the defense can kick in a score or two).

The players have to execute but I don't think they look like they've completely bought into the system or the guy who's driving it.

If you've ever been in a pile like that, you know the ball squirts around and changes possession. Who knows what happens had he dove in there.

Yep and a good example is the watt fimble recovery for a TD. Had jj not dove in there luck probably has an easier time recovering the ball. Hopkins let two colts one farther away from the ball than him get to it before him. Not nearly aggressive enough.

Only thing I can think is that he maybe thought it was an inconplete pass.

Best thing about a crappy loss on Thursday night? 10 whole days to think about and argue about it.

The offense is dysfunctional and needs a leader. This team comes out flat week after week and then gradually comes back to life for stretches. It's maddening to sit through. In my opinion the same debate we have about Fitz and doubts we have about Fitz are being had and felt by the rest of the offense. You can't take a 12 year old turd and sell it to anyone who knows where it came from as delicious candy. It doesn't work like that. On what basis do you sell this guy to the offense as their leader? Here's a guy who has never had success anywhere. Fitz doesn't win. That's just reality and these players know that.

I think OB made a huge mistake bringing him here and now six games in it's clear that the offense is pretty much ready to follow this man to the practice field and maybe to the locker room but certainly not to "Hell and back" or even to victory (unless the opponent is even more broken than we are... And the defense can kick in a score or two).

The players have to execute but I don't think they look like they've completely bought into the system or the guy who's driving it.

I dont know if maybe it is lack of the right personnel or what but this offense to me seems less advanced, with less creative routes.

Yep and a good example is the watt fimble recovery for a TD. Had jj not dove in there luck probably has an easier time recovering the ball. Hopkins let two colts one farther away from the ball than him get to it before him. Not nearly aggressive enough.

Only thing I can think is that he maybe thought it was an inconplete pass.

Lol, I just remembered screaming for the "tuck rule" when it happened.

What a terrible loss. Jackson and JJo are just pathetic. DJ is pissing me off every week with his garbage tackling attempts and his coverage (or lack thereo) is getting worse every week. In what world does RAC live in where our slow ass corners (Jackson, JJo and DJ) would be able to hang with the shift/speedy Hilton? Poor game planning.

Here is the problem with Fitz this game. Yes he made a good throw to Dre on the TD and to Johnson downfield. Other than that he was not good. He has all the freedom in the world to change plays and yet week after week he is leaving us in bad plays and not reading the defense. The guy had easy outs to Foster on some of those early sacks and instead (because he doesn't progress through his reads) took sacks. His crossing routes are trash. He never leads the wr's on those. The fact he had 200 plus yards and a high completion percentage means nothing to me. When you watch that game you see what the problem is. He is failing just like case did last year against the blitz. He has no feel for it, cannot see it coming and teams are starting to learn. I couldn't even count how many times they had 10 players down with 1 safety high. Hell even when they had 2 safeties, they were so far down they looked like deep lb's. Until he pushes the ball downfield consistently, teams will continue to do this. When he sees this he needs to audible deep to Dre or Hopkins. I hate him more than Schaub. I truly do.

Fat ass, Dre and our coaching didn't help, but Foster carried us back into this game with the help of Watt and Fitz and co lost it. Go figure :roast:

Not disagreeing generally although rarely to never does scrawny boy jump on top and end up coming out of the pile with the ball. On the specifics of that play, I'm not going to find fault as I don't think he could have made any difference other than show.

I dont know if maybe it is lack of the right personnel or what but this offense to me seems less advanced, with less creative routes.

I go back and forth on that a lot. Watching them it occurs to me that I'm not sure I can tell the difference between a complex offense run poorly or a simple offense run relatively well. That they have stretches where they seem to click and move the ball easily makes me want to believe that the system can work. Mistakes are what are killing us. Not blocking well, penalties at bad times, Fitz not seeing the open guy or throwing poorly advised passes, and of course dropped passes.

I think we don't have the system down yet, Fitz might be intelligent but can't implement it, and the rest of them know it.

If we can see this is a throwaway season I imagine it's pretty clear to the players too.

So, I watched the game at work and my boss walks out and Randy Bullock is about to take his ill-fated kick. First thing he says is "Geez, that guys fat.". Field goal is missed and the next comment is "Maybe that guy should go on half rats for a few days so he can put it through the uprights.".

This is the hell I endure each week.

Not disagreeing generally although rarely to never does scrawny boy jump on top and end up coming out of the pile with the ball. On the specifics of that play, I'm not going to find fault as I don't think he could have made any difference other than show.

He could have wormed and wiggled his way to bottom hahaha :lol:

With our luck he dives in and separates a shoulder.

I'm just saying at least give it the half a$$ effort.

I go back and forth on that a lot. Watching them it occurs to me that I'm not sure I can tell the difference between a complex offense run poorly or a simple offense run relatively well. That they have stretches where they seem to click and move the ball easily makes me want to believe that the system can work.

Take Foster out and reexamine the question.

Think back to 2009. Zero run game. None. And yet teams still bought the play action and the Texans led the league in passing. Take Foster away now and what do you see?

This is a how quickly we forget thing. I think the answer is both - Fitz sucks and it's a complex (and yet simplistic) offense run poorly.

Think back to 2009. Zero run game. None. And yet teams still bought the play action and the Texans led the league in passing. Take Foster away now and what do you see?

This is a how quickly we forget thing. I think the answer is both - Fitz sucks and it's a complex (and yet simplistic) offense run poorly.

Take the best player out of any offense and reexamine. Broncos with Peyton look much better than Broncos with Tebow.

This post is aimed at no player in particular. You could argue it's aimed at us, the fan.

Game on the line. Massive achievement getting back in it after the 24-0 1st quarter..................

2 of the last 3 plays run by the Texans were turnovers.

That is Texans, no, Houston football history, in a 3-play sequence.

Take the best player out of any offense and reexamine. Broncos with Peyton look much better than Broncos with Tebow.

Sorry, but flippant non-responsive answer. The point was that QB and system could survive not having a running game EVEN THOUGH the passing game was supposedly predicated on having a running game. Take the running game away from this current QB/scheme and you have 0-6 with crap stats on top.

There's a reason he's been on umpteen teams and not stuck. This team is in perpetual QB hell and I don't know what the answer is. I don't think it's Mallet

I'll be the first one to admit that I don't have have half the football knowledge that a lot of you guys do, but I do have sense enough to know that this QB thing has been killing us for years. I'm still dying inside from the possibility that we passed on Maning for Schaub.

I'm rambling and have no idea what my point is. I'm drunk and a huge typhoon is about to hit and here I am depressed about Texan football.

My stance is, this year is a rebuild. Fitz ain't cutting it. Move on to Mallet and see what sticks. They aren't winning the Suber Bowl this year so use this time to figure this whole thing out. I don't understand why people are getting pissed off about this season already. This team is not winning the big game so figure out what you need to do to win the game. You make little gains now to make the big ones later.

yeah & how many games did we win that year we led the league in passing with a marginally better qb in Schaub?

It's not nearly as simple as you guys think it is...

Because the team is so close to closing out a win and they nut up. And some fans were still stinging from the loss to dallas.
After the first quarter, I actually relaxed as I figured we had zero chance at that point.

Sure, we had a chance to close out the deal, but I'm under no illusions as to how we made our "comeback" and it wasn't on the shoulders of the offense.

Unlike Dallas, we converted two turnovers into points (one directly).

This loss is squarely on the coaching staff. They absolutely weren't ready to play. Telegraphed onside kick nobody covered, horrible opening script that it took a quarter to go off of (no attempt to establish the run), piss-poor clock management and inability to call protection schemes to keep Fitz alive.

There's a reason he's been on umpteen teams and not stuck. This team is in perpetual QB hell and I don't know what the answer is. I don't think it's Mallet

I'll be the first one to admit that I don't have have half the football knowledge that a lot of you guys do, but I do have sense enough to know that this QB thing has been killing us for years. I'm still dying inside from the possibility that we passed on Maning for Schaub.

I'm rambling and have no idea what my point is. I'm drunk and a huge typhoon is about to hit and here I am depressed about Texan football.

My stance is, this year is a rebuild. Fitz ain't cutting it. Move on to Mallet and see what sticks. They aren't winning the Suber Bowl this year so use this time to figure this whole thing out. I don't understand why people are getting pissed off about this season already. This team is not winning the big game so figure out what you need to do to win the game. You make little gains now to make the big ones later.

No, perpetual qb purgatory is what the Jags and the Titans have been in. The funny thing too is that they both did exactly what Texans fans want our front office to do now and they wound up reaching for the likes of Gabbert and Locker a couple of years ago. 3 years later they too are still no closer to solving their qb situation and the jags have just reset the clock with Bortles....again. We've also been better than them as a team 2 out of the last 3 years.

My point is that you're likely not gonna be any closer to figuring anything out at the position Even if we put Mallet in for like 4 games and he sucks and then we let Savage have the rest of the games......... and he sucks.

The only thing you can do after that is go to the draft & try your luck with 1 of those early 1st round prospects in which case you spend the next few years figuring out if he's the guy or not...& the percentages are not in your favor with that either & that's if its a cut and dry situation..i.e. Mallett and Savage clearly suck and don't play anywhere in between great and terrible......

Sorry, but flippant non-responsive answer. The point was that QB and system could survive not having a running game EVEN THOUGH the passing game was supposedly predicated on having a running game. Take the running game away from this current QB/scheme and you have 0-6 with crap stats on top.

Oh you're absolutely right. Without Foster this offense goes nowhere. He seems to be the only thing that's working consistently (when he's not hurting). I have been frustrated with Arian off the field at times this year because of his personality and demeanor with the media/all that other crap but there's no question that he's the one guy who is leaving everything out there on the field.

No, perpetual qb purgatory is what the Jags and the Titans have been in. The funny thing too is that they both did exactly what Texans fans want our front office to do now and they wound up reaching for the likes of Gabbert and Locker a couple of years ago. 3 years later they too are still no closer to solving their qb situation and the jags have just reset the clock with Bortles....again. We've also been better than them as a team 2 out of the last 3 years.

My point is that you're likely not gonna be any closer to figuring anything out at the position Even if we put Mallet in for like 4 games and he sucks and then we let Savage have the rest of the games......... and he sucks.

The only thing you can do after that is go to the draft & try your luck with 1 of those early 1st round prospects in which case you spend the next few years figuring out if he's the guy or not...& the percentages are not in your favor with that either & that's if its a cut and dry situation..i.e. Mallett and Savage clearly suck and don't play anywhere in between great and terrible......

If you have a rubbish QB then you have to build that defense like the Ravens did. I think this is the way this team has to go and if Clowney can stay healthy then they might be able to get it done. Minimize the mistakes on offense, maximize the turnovers on defense.

I would much rather have a dominating offense with a Manning or Brady, but it's not going to happen. Defense is the way this team goes to the promised land.

I'll be the first guy to say that Fitz just sucks. Because I really want to see Mallet too. But to blame this game on Fitz alone is not understanding the game.

Well, let's say it's on the OL. What are you going to do to fix it now? Move Newton to LT & Brown to RT? Put XSF at LG & hope Brooks comes back better than before?

None of those are guarantees & waiting 'till next offseason isn't really an option.

Changing that QB might make the OL look better. Mallet may very well not be as mobile as Fitz & more than likely wouldn't have picked up the first downs Fitz did with his legs... but just like Matt Schaub wasn't going to pick the yards Carr did with his legs, getting the ball out on time, making good reads before the snap, & stretching the field (right now, you're wasting Demaris Johnson & Kewshawn Martin's speed and barely taking advantage of what Andre & Hopkins have) may help our OL look respectable.

yeah & how many games did we win that year we led the league in passing with a marginally better qb in Schaub?

It's not nearly as simple as you guys think it is...

He wasn't talking about wins specifically. He was talking about how the offense performed with a running game and without one vs how this offense performs under the same circumstances.

Also, Schaub in 2009 was a damn site more than "marginally" better than Fitz.

Thing is frustrating is that Houston as weapons at the wideout set. O Brian has to get them involved at start of the game til the end. Of course the Qb is so mooodddddyyyyyyy in his play,yikes. AJ Fumble just killed us and Fitz argh

LOL what Hopkins was getting open? When? Many of his catches are circus contested catches precisely because he can't get separation.

Andre Johnson had a critical fumble, near the redzone, in clutch time. He also pushed off the play before because he couldn't get separation. Blame Fitz for all that LOL

The Demaris Johnson catch would have been a TD if the ball was put over his head where he could catch it in stride. Same with all these other circus catches... ball placement & anticipation is not helping.

Well.... those back shoulder throws to Andre in the first half, where did those go?

Well, let's say it's on the OL. What are you going to do to fix it now? Move Newton to LT & Brown to RT? Put XSF at LG & hope Brooks comes back better than before?

None of those are guarantees & waiting 'till next offseason isn't really an option.

Changing that QB might make the OL look better. Mallet may very well not be as mobile as Fitz & more than likely wouldn't have picked up the first downs Fitz did with his legs... but just like Matt Schaub wasn't going to pick the yards Carr did with his legs, getting the ball out on time, making good reads before the snap, & stretching the field (right now, you're wasting Demaris Johnson & Kewshawn Martin's speed and barely taking advantage of what Andre & Hopkins have) may help our OL look respectable.

Good point

You know, I'm not interested in Mallet's legs. He's mobile enough and frankly Fitz's mobility is being overrated by most of us. There is nothing Fitz has done with his feet that Mallet couldn't also do. These aren't spectacular runs. They're a guy picking up yards because nobody expects him to run. That's already starting to dry up a bit.

I'm interested in seeing how fast Mallet can go through his reads. I'm interesting in seeing if he's got any kind of pocket awareness. We already know he can embed a football into AJ's chest at 50 yards. The arm is the good part. It's a given. I keep thinking back to all the times Brady hit Randy Moss in stride deep and while I know that Demaris Johnson and Keyshawn aren't Randy Moss it would be nice to see the Texans try to bring that aspect of this offense into our game. With Fitz it's not going to happen.

It wouldn't be so crowded in the first 20 yards past the line of scrimmage if we could seriously threaten deeper.

He wasn't talking about wins specifically. He was talking about how the offense performed with a running game and without one vs how this offense performs under the same circumstances.

I know what he was talking about..but the end game is wins in which case Schaubs stats mattered for nothing in the grand scheme of things...especially when we were in perpetual catch up mode b/c our defense was terrible and the offensive philosophy's being different. Kubiak compared to BoB looks like Chip Kelly.

& Schaub was certainly better than Fitz is at the moment...not significantly better though.....imo of course.

Exactly.

Again, exactly. Fitz is undeniably smart. But some smart people (like my twin PhD dad) get vapor lock of the cranial cavity aka analysis paralysis.

Exactly.

Again, exactly. Fitz is undeniably smart. But some smart people (like my twin PhD dad) get vapor lock of the cranial cavity aka analysis paralysis.

Yep. He doesn't play like he's processing what's happening around him fast enough. He really does play like the game is still going too fast for him (very Keenum-like in that respect). Then he'll settle down for a drive or two and if everything goes exactly right he looks like the guy who people get excited about having good weapons for the first time in his career.

Then something goes wrong and he makes a stupid decision and we're back to square one.

Last edited:
our linebackers really suck, especially cushing. I know he's still not 100% blah blah blah, but he's slow and always picks the wrong hole.

our linebackers really suck, especially cushing. I know he's still not 100% blah blah blah, but he's slow and always picks the wrong hole.

yeah trent richardson...yes trent richardson shook him in the hole when Cush had him dead to rights. The older cushing would've made that TFL.

Back