Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Indianapolis Colts @ Houston Texans. 10/9. 7:25. CBS/NFLN.**Official Gameday Thread**

So if we make the FG, we only lose by 2. At least it is a little better moral victory wise.

Come on... you know the missed FG was huge and would have changed play calling dramatically. Instead of having to go 79 yards with 2 mins to go, we'd just need about 45 yards instead to get into FG range. We'd even have time to give the ball to Arian a couple of times.

First off that was clearly not a fumble, 2nd it was not a push off, 3rd it was not in the red zone it was the 43.

You should at least watch the games before debating them.

LOL you talk about watching the game?

That was clearly a fumble

2nd it was a push off

3rd I said near the redzone, not in the red zone. It was certainly a lot nearer to the redzone that the Fitz fumble. Learn to read smartguy.

3rd I said near the redzone, not in the red zone. It was certainly a lot nearer to the redzone that the Fitz fumble. Learn to read smartguy.

If you're going to say the 43 is "near the redzone" then the rest of your observations (already dubious in nature) go in the circular file.

Except for the fact that u guys use his bad numbers against him all the time to make your case..." He's thrown this many interceptions every year he's been in the league"...."he's this for this on 3rd down conversions"...tonight his overall numbers favor him....dude made 1 mistake tonite and the whole game falls on him..not 1 damn mention of AJ's critical fumble...not 1 mention of fat randy's blown FG..its all on fitz b/c he couldn't engineer the 2 minute drill. Nobody in this league plays perfectly....take in the game as a whole and stop looking for the quick fixes.

I rarely use numbers to prove a point. Like I said, numbers rarely tell a story. I watch games and form opinions.

I scout football players for a living. Savage is not ready. That may be an opinion, but I believe it to the core. He needs a year to acclimate to the NFL. It's my own personal opinion that Mallett is nothing special. Do I know for sure? No, but again it's my opinion.

Like I said earlier, we really screwed up by not trading up for Bridgewater.

Who do you scout for? Many other scouts beg to differ with your opinions. Also, you seem to make snap judgements on guys.

Don't whine about Fitzgerald not being Peyton Manning. The team does not expect him to be, and he is not paid to be. He was brought in, paid 2% of the team's salary cap, to smooth the team's transition into a complex offense and be the bridge to the future QB. Teams have won, and do win, without top tier QBs as starters. They don't do it by hoping their game manager magically becomes Drew Brees. They do it by executing in other areas of the game.

This team can't win if the LBs and secondary tackle as poorly as they did tonight... and blow so many assignments in coverage. Also, for this team to count 3-4 score comebacks (like it attempted tonight), the WR that consumes almost 15% of the team's salary cap can't fumble the ball, untouched, across midfield, with 4 minutes left in the game, after the team has clawed back 19 of the 24 point deficit.

I don't know what the "benefit of the doubt" has to do with the facts. There is nothing to doubt. AJ blew it. There is no doubt about it. He dropped the ball, killed the momentum and a promising drive that could have won the game.

Hey, dude, wake up. I never mentioned Manning once in my post. Where do you even get that?? Wow.

Furthermore, the call against AJ was wrong, even with IR it was wrong. I have more than a bad feeling if the Colts had the same thing happen the call would have been different. OH WAIT! A Colt DID drop a pass after a few steps and it was called incomplete. CBS was in promo mode for next week and never showed the replay.

Give us Peyton Manning with all the talent we had in 2011-2012 and we win a SB. Don't really get your point, and a Franchise QB you build a team around, we have had a team good team with no Franchise QB to build around.

Emphasis on the bolded. This is not the same level of talent we had from 2011 and You guys need to stop thinking that it is just b/c a few of the core players from that team are still here.

And the point is that as great as manning is, he was grossly outclassed in the superbowl by a more talented and cohesive team. Moreover, he was outplayed by a lesser talented qb on the other side too.

If you're going to say the 43 is "near the redzone" then the rest of your observations (already dubious in nature) go in the circular file.

Near the redzone compared with the Fitz fumble. The rest of my observation are not dubious, are very clear. Andre Johnson had possesion of the ball, and fumbled it himself. Before he pushed off. I don't blame him for the push off though, the ********* refs were letting the Colts OL get away with murder, yet they called every little infraction the Texans committed.

Emphasis on the bolded. This is not the same level of talent we had from 2011 and You guys need to stop thinking that it is just b/c a few of the core players from that team are still here.

Really, other than Schaub what are the downgraded positions?

And the point is that as great as manning is, he was grossly outclassed in the superbowl by a more talented and cohesive team. Moreover, he was outplayed by a lesser talented qb on the other side too.

I agree with Manning being outclassed and all and outplayed in the superbowl.

Thing is, Russel Wilson is more than decent. Hell, he's a good QB.

Fitz isn't even decent. It's not really fair to compare him to Manning or Wilson. Right now he has more turnovers than TDs...that's not good and no matter how bad the team is around him that isn't acceptable.

Obviously you have no idea, how many years has Rick Smith had (8) plus don't forget he handpicked Schaub not Kubiak! writing is on the wall, its been on the wall now its time to take him down :clown:
ummmm... Kubiak handpicked Schaub.
O'Brien handpicked Fitzpatrick, Mallett, and Savage.

Who do you scout for? Many other scouts beg to differ with your opinions. Also, you seem to make snap judgements on guys.

Ourlads. And I'm sure many scouts would disagree with me. The funny thing about scouting is that we can look at the same player and see completely different things.

I'm an ACC scout at Ourlads. I scouted Savage all of last year. I'm pretty confident in my evaluation. He has talent, but he needs time. He really struggled with pressure in college. With this line, and the speed of the game at this level, he will get eaten alive if thrown into the fire early. He needs to be brought along slowly.

As for Mallett, I'm a Michigan fan. I followed his career after he left UM because I liked how he performed in a tough situation at UM as a true freshman. Tremendous arm talent, but he is lacking in some areas that I think hinder his ability to carry a team.

Really, other than Schaub what are the downgraded positions?

Both guard positions on the o-line, right tackle, and TE. Alll the Lb positions...you could argue every position along the d-line except for Watt.

In addition to this AJ's a few years older and has slowed down a bit

Brown thus far is having a horrible year at LT and our safety situation is dicey even though Manning is still here playing special teams.

We are clearly not as talented. Our playmakers outside of Watt are old and/or are not living up to their potential.

Don't whine about Fitzgerald not being Peyton Manning. The team does not expect him to be, and he is not paid to be. He was brought in, paid 2% of the team's salary cap, to smooth the team's transition into a complex offense and be the bridge to the future QB. Teams have won, and do win, without top tier QBs as starters. They don't do it by hoping their game manager magically becomes Drew Brees. They do it by executing in other areas of the game.
oh and who is this Fitzgerald you refer to?

Texans are better than the Colts minus the QB. Texans are better than the cowboys minus the QB. Texans are better than the Giants minus the QB. seeing the trend? bueller? Bueller? anyone?

Both guard positions on the o-line, right tackle, and TE. Alll the Lb positions...you could argue every position along the d-line except for Watt.

In addition to this AJ's a few years older and has slowed down a bit

Brown thus far is having a horrible year at LT and our safety situation is dicey even though Manning is still here playing special teams.

We are clearly not as talented. Our playmakers outside of Watt are old and/or are not living up to their potential.

Don't forget FB! I miss Leach. I actually like both of our safeties, but I'd still rather have Glover.

TBH, our two biggest misses are the old Andre and Duane. The Andre that could outrun everyone, and the Duane that went through whole seasons without giving up a sack or penalty.

Ourlads. And I'm sure many scouts would disagree with me. The funny thing about scouting is that we can look at the same player and see completely different things.

I'm an ACC scout at Ourlads. I scouted Savage all of last year. I'm pretty confident in my evaluation. He has talent, but he needs time. He really struggled with pressure in college. With this line, and the speed of the game at this level, he will get eaten alive if thrown into the fire early. He needs to be brought along slowly.

As for Mallett, I'm a Michigan fan. I followed his career after he left UM because I liked how he performed in a tough situation at UM as a true freshman. Tremendous arm talent, but he is lacking in some areas that I think hinder his ability to carry a team.

Ourlads? I don't know what that is, whatever. I'm not meaning any disrespect, but you are basing your opinion on Mallett after his freshman year in college? You and I are two different kind of scouts. :)

EDIT: Ok, I just looked up Ourlads. I thought you were, I don't know, like a real paid scout or something based on how you portrayed yourself. Hell man, I'm a scout for the Texans, and I am not one to dismiss a player today based on his freshman year a millennium ago. :twocents:

AJ was open consistently and Brown's bad year is still top one third. Y'all are hard core excuse making. Schaub of 2011/12 or another decent QB would have AJ on pace for another 1500 yd season.

So we draft a QB in 2015, we muddle through until 2016, and 2017 we are good. Hey that's only 15 years of sucktitude. 15 years and 2 playoff births. At least we are not the Jags right?

Don't forget FB! I miss Leach. I actually like both of our safeties, but I'd still rather have Glover.

TBH, our two biggest misses are the old Andre and Duane. The Andre that could outrun everyone, and the Duane that went through whole seasons without giving up a sack or penalty.

Yeah AJ lost alot of his explosion when they did that procedure on his hammy that he injured in that steelers game in 2011. He just hasnt been the same guy since then.

And Reed looked promising in 2011 when he got forced into the lineup due to Mario's injury... since then however he's turned into JAG.

AJ was open consistently and Brown's bad year is still top one third. Y'all are hard core excuse making. Schaub of 2011/12 or another decent QB would have AJ on pace for another 1500 yd season.

It aint excuse making cak...this team just isnt as talented as you guys believe it to be...as i pointed out, thats just a fact. In addition to Schaub, for every position i named, tell me you wouldn't rather have the guys we had in 2011 over the guys we have now...even post steroid suspension Cushing we had back then is better than the one we have dragging his leg around this year.

Our team speed is also terrible too...but thats another story.

Team speed has been terrible for a few years. This has been and will be a slow plodding offense for awhile. Hopkins and AJ aren't going anywhere and they are clearly below average in speed.

It's sad that Damaris Johnson and Daryl Morris are clearly the fastest guys and they were just other teams' trash that the Texans picked up.

Re-watching the game now... summary on Fitz's performance in the 1st quarter.

1st Series
1st & 10:
Poor throw by Fitz to AJ. He actually had Nuk coming open on an in route.
2nd & 10:
Arian rush for 5 yards
3rd & 5:
Nuk had the ball in his hands, enough for a first down, but good play by the CB to knock it out. Fitz should have thrown it more to the outside, Nuk should have held on, nice play by the corner.

2nd Series
1st & 10:
Foster run for 2 yards
2nd & 8:
Fitz incomplete to Foster, LB knocked the ball down. If Fitz was more patient, Foster would have created more seperation. He also had AJ coming open at the top.
3rd & 8:
Fitz incomplete to AJ. Colts blitzed 6, while we only had 5 blocking. Foster leaked out. I'm thinking Foster should have stayed in to help p/u the blitz. Still doesn't excuse X & Myers to let their guys go right through. Despite the pressure, Fitz could have dumped the ball down to Foster for an easy first down.

3rd Series
1st & 10:
Foster run for 3 yards
2nd & 7:
Fitz sacked. Both X and Newton got beat. No one came open fast enough. Nuk's guy fell, so could have been a big completion if the protection held up.
3rd & 7:
Fitz sacked. Jones & Foster let the same guy go through untouched. The MLB came up the middle on a blitz untouched. And once again, X got beat by his guy. Fitz had no chance what so ever.

To sum up, QB & OL held the offense back, and helped lead to the big deficit. Also not a fan of the play calling... we're relying too much on Fitz to make plays.

Team speed has been terrible for a few years. This has been and will be a slow plodding offense for awhile. Hopkins and AJ aren't going anywhere and they are clearly below average in speed.

It's sad that Damaris Johnson and Daryl Morris are clearly the fastest guys and they were just other teams' trash that the Texans picked up.

Morris was cut because of numbers. Many Niners fans were upset they could not keep him

Just heard this from the radio, don't know what show:

Houston seems to think they almost pulled it off. That isn't true! The reason is they have Ryan Fitzpatrick as QB!

Lol, even out of the mouths of late night sports talk yoyo's.

I will say this, Fitz did well. Fitz did all HE could, but unfortunately for us, all HE had was substandard and not enough.

I miss old schab in his heyday at last he knew how to read option 1 and 2 and if not there look for option 3 and 4

but also that would mean the o line would need to make a clen pocket for more then 5 seconds

I watched one more series before going to bed. Here's a crucial play that could have been 7, but resulted in 0 instead. Once again, pass pro was horrible, but Fitz still could have made a play. Both Myers and Duane got beat, and Arian could have done better slowing his guy down.

Colts brought the house to blitz, leaving 1-1 coverage on every receiver. Fitz had two good options.
1) Lob to AJ. He did end up throwing to AJ, but it was the wrong type of throw for that situation. A lob deep and towards the right would have been easy 7.
2) Jump ball to Hopkins in the end-zone. We see Nuk make this play all the time, would have liked to see Fitz give him a chance.

2wrewcy.png

Also, Martin came open in the end zone. If pass pro held up for one more second, easy TD right there.

Instead, we walk away with 0, because of the missed FG.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched one more series before going to bed. Here's a crucial play that could have been 7, but resulted in 0 instead. Once again, pass pro was horrible, but Fitz still could have made a play. Both Myers and Duane got beat, and Arian could have done better slowing his guy down.

Colts brought the house to blitz, leaving 1-1 coverage on every receiver. Fitz had two good options.
1) Lob to AJ. He did end up throwing to AJ, but it was the wrong type of throw for that situation. A lob deep and towards the right would have been easy 7.
2) Jump ball to Hopkins in the end-zone. We see Nuk make this play all the time, would have liked to see Fitz give him a chance.

1yS7c5l

Also, Martin came open in the end zone. If pass pro held up for one more second, easy TD right there.

Big IF in there

Big IF in there

Correct, big IF.

After watching the first 4 series more closely, I'm changing my opinion a little. The pass pro was horrendous, but I still think there were some plays that could have been made despite the poor protection.

Would have Mallet made those plays? I don't know... but I'm now officially on the Mallet should start in Pitt bandwagon!

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://i59.tinypic.com/2wrewcy.png[/IMG]

What about the other 99.999999999999999% of us that aren't lookng. :D (No worries, man. I'm going to bed PDQ myself) :barman:

Correct, big IF.

After watching the first 4 series more closely, I'm changing my opinion a little. The pass pro was horrendous, but I still think there were some plays that could have been made despite the poor protection.

Would have Mallet made those plays? I don't know... but I'm now officially on the Mallet should start in Pitt bandwagon!

Oh I think we should throw Savage out there and tell him "welcome to my nightmare kid" :kitten:

I don't understand the heartburn over Fitzpatrick. I really don't.

You can complain about his stat line but the bottom line is that he protected the ball (the last drive not withstanding), made crucial throws and put the ball in tight spaces all night.

You want to know what got you beat?

The coaching staff. This team was NOT ready to play tonight. I counted FIVE plays that Swag was trying to get people into the right position in front of him. FiVE. There were probably more than that, I just got sick of counting it. One time it was Cushing and he didn't move fast enough. On that very play, he gave up a TD to the outside.

Blown assignments all night, the onside kick (which wound up being the difference in the game by the way). QB play was a bright spot tonight. If we shaved his beard and told you his name was Patrick, you might have been pretty happy with his play.

He's not the answer for the long haul but he isn't the bum people are making him out to be. I remember the HWWNBN days when he had a bunch of stats and it was all dink and dunk but that's not the case here. Those back shoulder throws are a thing of beauty. That pass to Johnston? That was a thing of beauty (wobbly beauty but still beautiful). The TD pass to AJ?

The Beard is doing what he is asked to do. If you have a problem with his numbers I put that on the guy calling the plays. Take away the tipped passes and you're left with 3 or 4 interceptions. Now look at what happens when the situation forces us to open up the playbook. Every time you have told him "hey, we need you to move the ball... NOW" he has done it. It is like there are two different teams. Once our backs are to the wall we move the ball, when its not, we don't. He makes plays with his feet and I would say that he makes several of them.

Oh and our line is HORRIBLE. Not bad, HORRIBLE. This isn't HWWNBN holding onto the ball too long, this is just people getting blown up. He's not just checking down though. I have seen him put the ball in a tight place so many times and it has been the right place.

I don't want him starting for us next year, don't get me wrong, but to put this game (or any others to be honest) on him is just silly. This team wasn't ready to play.

Mike

Not gonna copy your entire long ass post but you are entirely correct, other than the last drive, none of the real bad plays can be laid on fitz...

but its the last big play you need your qb to make for you when times are struggling

Ourlads? I don't know what that is, whatever. I'm not meaning any disrespect, but you are basing your opinion on Mallett after his freshman year in college? You and I are two different kind of scouts. :)

EDIT: Ok, I just looked up Ourlads. I thought you were, I don't know, like a real paid scout or something based on how you portrayed yourself. Hell man, I'm a scout for the Texans, and I am not one to dismiss a player today based on his freshman year a millennium ago. :twocents:

Yea I'm sure you meant no disrespect...

I'm basing my opinion of Mallett on 8 years of information, which began with his freshman year in college. It's called a resume. Every player has one. His playing career didn't begin when he got traded to the Texans.

You guys blame him for every little thing.

Guilty.

I've tried to give him a shot... just can't. But I tell you what I thought about after the first Hilton bomb... quit. Then after the onside kick... quit. Then after the Hilton TD... quit.

Didn't take long for the team to quit... think that no matter what they do, they're not going anywhere with that bearded anchor. Might win another game or two... or for the first time in his career he'll finish 8-8. But their season is over I'm December might as well start planning the ski trip. Or a Wisconsin off-season training regimen. Or 1. ..

Then, of course, someone put a boot up someone's ass & they started playing real football.

Then it dawned on me... he's trying to cull the heard. He's going to separate the wheat from the chaffe.

Back