Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Hurricane Ike

Talked to my mom just a minute ago. She said the wind was pretty rough and split the wax myrtle in the backyard and blew down some of their neighbors fences, and that there is a leak in the roof dripping into the living room. Overall they are fine though.

The dogs were kind of freaking out during the storm and the cat knocked over a glass of water this morning which at first they thought was hurricane related. They're been out of power since they went to bed last night (Guessing around 11pm to midnight, I'm not sure) and their generator decided not to work, but that stuff isn't all that important.

Fell asleep last night (rain does that to me) and so did my wife. At around 2AM my stepson came into our bedroom to wake us up. He said it was starting to get real out there and he thought we might want to be awake for that. I was not all that pleased because I like to sleep (I'm lazy like that) and stayed up for about half an hour but then went back to bed. Power was off then and I was woken by an enormous "BANG!" that sounded like it went off by my right ear. I started to go out and see what happend but it was... intimidating out there. I decided that whatever was down was down and it would wait until tomorrow.

I went up in the attic above my bedroom but didn't see anything. The reason why was that I couldn't see around the AC unit. Not long after that water started coming through the ceiling of my bedroom. The insulation soaked through and then half the sheetrock came down. This morning I went out and took a look (I've been collecting my new "water feature" in a big trashcan all night and trying not to lose the new wood floors my wife and I put in) and saw that half a pine tree sheered off and landed right on the very end of the roof literally a foot or two from where I was sleeping. If it comes down different then I'm a stain on the mattress.

We've got trees down like crazy, no power, and everybody is ok. I'm good with that. Hope everybody else did alright too.

The GTO is fine. Covered in pine needles but not a scratch on it.

got to go as I'm using up my wife's laptop battery and don't know when we'll be able to recharge it. I'll get back on later today. Be safe guys.

Fell asleep last night (rain does that to me) and so did my wife. At around 2AM my stepson came into our bedroom to wake us up. He said it was starting to get real out there and he thought we might want to be awake for that. I was not all that pleased because I like to sleep (I'm lazy like that) and stayed up for about half an hour but then went back to bed. Power was off then and I was woken by an enormous "BANG!" that sounded like it went off by my right ear. I started to go out and see what happend but it was... intimidating out there. I decided that whatever was down was down and it would wait until tomorrow.

I went up in the attic above my bedroom but didn't see anything. The reason why was that I couldn't see around the AC unit. Not long after that water started coming through the ceiling of my bedroom. The insulation soaked through and then half the sheetrock came down. This morning I went out and took a look (I've been collecting my new "water feature" in a big trashcan all night and trying not to lose the new wood floors my wife and I put in) and saw that half a pine tree sheered off and landed right on the very end of the roof literally a foot or two from where I was sleeping. If it comes down different then I'm a stain on the mattress.

We've got trees down like crazy, no power, and everybody is ok. I'm good with that. Hope everybody else did alright too.

That's scary. :(

Glad you're alright!!

I hope that everyone is doing alright. I talked to my dad and he said trees were down everywhere and that he lost a few shingles off the roof. He sure doesn't sound like it's only a few shingles though. I need to call my mom later when he's not around so I can find out what is really going on. For all I know the freaking roof could have blown off.

I just want to know so I can head down there if I need too. Would be nice if he was being honest. Damn stubborn old people.

Wow, glad you guys are okay.

People that stayed in Anahuac are trying to get down and look at my Mom's house (15 miles south of there towards Smith Point) but they can not get within 5 miles of it, water all over the road. Just saw a report on TWC that 102 MPH winds reported in Anahuac. I got a sinking feeling there may be nothing left. My Mom lives in a mobile home that has been added on/modified and secured but I don't know if it can hold up, on top of that she doesn't have insurance, they could never afford out there on the coast for that type of structure.

Last edited:
No power here, it's been out for about 11 hours. I ran an extension cord off a power inverter plugged into my truck. Working from a laptop and plugged the DSL modem into the power inverter.

Minimal damage here on my end. The back fence is down, as well as the mailbox. Several of my tress parted with their limbs. One limb was so long, it fell parallel to the fence and takes up nearly the entire length of the neighbors yard. No damage to the house or vehicles thank goodness....

Looks like the hurricane is falling apart just south of Corsicana. One of the first bands is coming across the DFW metroplex and starting to get some of the gusts and sprinkling of rain in NE Dallas.

I see quite a few are checking in and accounted for - glad to see you're pulling through with minimal issues. God bless.

Best all of you and hope there is a roll call of sorts....

hope everyone is safe and the damage not too severe...

the pics on CNN suggest it was pretty bad...

:(

Checked in wit hmy parents. They've got a wet interior wall... not a good sign. A sizeable limb smahsed the front of their minivan. 2 Neighbors have pine trees laying on their houses. Other than that, everyone's ok.

I have no house damage, thankfully. I do have power but no cable. I'm truly thankful that I faired so well through this thing. I'm mostly just sleep deprived right now, as I couldn't sleep at all.

I hope everyone else and their loved ones are doing well.

Glad to see people checking in too. Watching coverage on early am tv. It's now declared a federal disaster area. Hope they do a better job helping you out than there previous efforts and also there is plenty of funds available to get things sorted.

We lost power last night at around 2:30AM I think (After we woke up but before I went back to bed) and we lost water at that time too. We get our water from some MUD up here in Spring and about the same time that our power went out their apparently did too. Water pressure dropped to nothing. We just checked and that's back up. I can work with hot water. I can live without AC and lights (in September, not June or July) but I have to be able to take a shower.

Still no power just north of the 290/610 interchange. Just some minor damage and street flooding to the house we're staying in, but I haven't heard anything from Pasadena yet. If anybody hears from SheTex or anybody else from that area, let me know how things look.

I'll only be on for a couple hours when my battery ends up putzing-out on me. I think we'll try to head out towards San Antonio sometime tomorrow if the roads are clear.

well, I made it out alive. I still don't have electricty or water, but I'm at work now. So, for the time being, I have connectivity.

600xPopupGallery.jpg

Yikes.

Just came back home. This has been without a doubt the worst day of my life. I've been away from home for 12 hours in good company, but been unable to enjoy it because of y'all. I hope you're all ok and safe. Please get on top, get in charge and be safe!.

Love y'all!
F.

well more problems.. it is going to be hard pressed for anyone to get generators.. (I work at home depot).. all san antonio stores were out, kerrville,boerne,san angelo,brownwood, marblefalls, del rio stores out of generators ...... only thing I knew was online to get a generator.. kerrville by itself probably could have sold 100-200 generators easily if we had them in stock

For those looking good luck

~~~~~~~~
I won't be able to give any more updates as I receive them until tomorrow I am headed for Lincoln, Nebraska to take my youngest son to his first Nebraska game!!!!

I will let you know what I know when I get back.

not sure where you live but like my previous post, if you are foing to nebraska and if you are looking for a generator .. up there might be your best bet if you have room in your vehicle for the way back

from my understanding home depot store number 6988 (SE military) in san antonio was being used as a hub for the generators .. not sure how many they were getting but imagine they will go fast.. from my knowledge it is first come first serve kinda deal. They are not letting people buy before hand and put on will call

I will repost this on a new thread so people that are actually looking for one to take back to houston , can hopefully find one

1 - SE Military #6988 3111 SE Military
San Antonio, TX 78223
(210)359-7000

Power came back about 30 minutes ago. I lost a section of fence and a couple shrubs. No significant damage to my property, but the folks behind me took some.

Power came back about 30 minutes ago. I lost a section of fence and a couple shrubs. No significant damage to my property, but the folks behind me took some.

Where do you live? I'm having to pull a 24 hour work shift, and I'm hoping I have electricity when I get home tomorrow.

well more problems.. it is going to be hard pressed for anyone to get generators.. (I work at home depot).. all san antonio stores were out, kerrville,boerne,san angelo,brownwood, marblefalls, del rio stores out of generators ...... only thing I knew was online to get a generator.. kerrville by itself probably could have sold 100-200 generators easily if we had them in stock

For those looking good luck

Maybe they were sending them to Houston. Like a store to store transfer.

I haven't heard from my brother since this morning. I know they don't have electricity and no way of charging the cell phone but it still worries me.

Power is back on here at my house. I'm finally getting a chance to see some of the aftermath on television. Hopefully more people will get power back as the night goes on.

Hey, anybody know how Jasper faired? I talked to my mother before the storm hit and she said she was going to hole up at the Ramada inn there but I haven't heard from her since. She doesn't have a cell and I can't reach her on her home phone.

Where do you live? I'm having to pull a 24 hour work shift, and I'm hoping I have electricity when I get home tomorrow.

Katy - basically I-10 @ Fry Rd. The Walmart there was looted and burned this evening, so I spent all night sitting around with my guns, enjoying the A/C.

Any word on how hard it is to get gas? My mom and brother want to head back tomorrow. I have hooked them up with a generator and they are bringing extra with them but it won't last past a day or two.

Our house is still without power in the front part of Kingwood. I think I finally was able to convince my wife today that we should install a standby generator next spring.
When I told her that we can get one tied into the house gas line she was all for it. She didn't like the idea of constantly filling a tank up.

I'm afraid i'll be out of power here in Beaumont here for a while because i think they will get Houston first.

When I left to come to work at the hosptial yesterday, I didn't have any electricity. Hope I have some when I get home later today.

Our house is still without power in the front part of Kingwood. I think I finally was able to convince my wife today that we should install a standby generator next spring.
When I told her that we can get one tied into the house gas line she was all for it. She didn't like the idea of constantly filling a tank up.

I'm wanting to put one in as well. I think I'll be able to convince my wife the expense is worth it.

Sadly my aunt's house (my mom's sister) is totally destroyed. Supposedly it is no longer standing. She lives in Bacliff right on the water.

Thankfully, she and her husband were smart and came to stay at my parent's place.

So far it seems like bad news for Bolivar Peninsula. Read at least one accout of a house on Crystal Beach collapsing and the couple that decided to stay survived by floating away on the staircase. Parents just bought a house in Crystal Beach about a month ago...wondering if its still there.

The really scary thing are the houses that collapsed with people in them and didn't make it out...So many people stayed that it seems pretty much inevitable.

I haven't heard from my brother since this morning. I know they don't have electricity and no way of charging the cell phone but it still worries me.

I lost cell service this morning... not sure if it's because the towers' generators are out of fuel or what-not.

Well, I just got some accurate info from my cousin who got down to my mom's house. On top of loosing my dad on thursday, her house is gone. There's a tree through the front door a foot and half in diameter and there was 2-3 ft. of water in the house. My cousin had to scare away a 5 ft. alligator that was hanging around the front door so he could go in a take a look. This whole week has been horrible. If that wasn't enough I don't know how we are going to have a funeral for pop.....this whole thing sucks bigtime. Both vehicles got flooded too, did I mention she couldn't afford home insurance either.....back to being speechless.

Don't know if anyone here knows anyone from Oak Island (also south of Anahuac) but it is gone. Out of a few hundred houses only a few remain, it is total devistation there.

So far it seems like bad news for Bolivar Peninsula. Read at least one accout of a house on Crystal Beach collapsing and the couple that decided to stay survived by floating away on the staircase. Parents just bought a house in Crystal Beach about a month ago...wondering if its still there.

The really scary thing are the houses that collapsed with people in them and didn't make it out...So many people stayed that it seems pretty much inevitable.

Boliar penninsula is devistated, the whole thing, barely anything left from what I have seen on the news and I have heard.

Crystal Beach is gone, My dad has/had a house there. Total devistation, he called the Galveston Chamber of Commerece because he couldnt get the Bolivar CC and was told that there was pretty much nothing left.

Look at the pictures on Yahoo.

I have a house in Crosby and three brothers and parents with houses in Clear Lake that all made it alright with little damage. I will be coming home fron Mississippi this week to chop trees in my yard....good times.

Just checking in here. Large oak in backyard is down, but the house is not damaged. Feel fortunate.

We got the power back on a few hours ago(West Houston)...only to lose it once again for awhile. Talk about a downer.
Going through batteries like kleenexes.

Hope to see more of you all back online soon.

Back