Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How patient are y’all going to be with CJ Stroud this season?

Botton line is, they're smartly getting the ball out of Stroud's hands as quickly as possible.

Therein lies the difference between coaches. OB, Culley, and Lovie would’ve drove Stroud into a sack frenzy while demanding Stroud let their long developing pass plays happen come hail or high water.

Ryans and Slowick observed what happened in the first two games and immediately changed their plan of attack so Stroud would have the best opportunity to succeed. Can't believe there’s some folks on this MB who could possibly look at that as a negative…..go back and learn something about football.

Last edited:
So it had moved from a 2-second offense to a 4-5-second offense?
I see where you're coming from now. 🤣

But let me ask you this anyhow; Stroud had gone from 11 sacks in two games TP zero sacks in the last three games, what does that tell you?
It tells me that Bobby Slowik made big changes to his offensive game plan. They went from being on track to having 93 sacks this year to zero sacks in the last 3 games. To protect Stroud and take pressure off of the OL he sped up the offense. WRs routes were adjusted to be under 3 seconds and Stroud has 2 options based on the defense. As I said earlier, it seems to be working RATHER WELL for the OL, Stroud, and the WRs. Due to injuries to the OL there is not much Slowik can do for the rushing game. I'm just guessing here, but Slowik may have borrowed from Ryan Day's playbook and what worked best for Stroud's quick passing game at OSU. Anyways Slowik's changes certainly seemed to catch the Jags and Steelers off guard.

And it was not a 4-5 second offense. 3.3 seconds is all a good D needs to wreak havoc and sack a QB.

Last edited:
It tells me that Bobby Slowik made big changes to his offensive game plan. They went from being on track to having 93 sacks this year to zero sacks in the last 3 games. To protect Stroud and take pressure off of the OL he sped up the offense. WRs routes were adjusted to be under 3 seconds and Stroud has 2 options based on the defense. As I said earlier, it seems to be working RATHER WELL for the OL, Stroud, and the WRs. Due to injuries to the OL there is not much Slowik can do for the rushing game. I'm just guessing here, but Slowik may have borrowed from Ryan Day's playbook and what worked best for Stroud's quick passing game at OSU.
As I had said before, leaving a free rusher against a rookie QB was Slowick's mistake.
I'm glad he learned from it.

Some of the Olinemen had a little more time in the system (Patterson, Mason, and Fant) and that helped.
Tunsil and Howard were a little rusted, but they are pros.

Stroud himself, is getting more experiences under his belt.

Other than that, there's no shortening of the route concepts.
They're still the same.

When this line get more time together, the running game should be better. That will help Stroud even more.

Stroud is 3rd in the league in yards per completion (12.8 ypc, behind Tua and Purdy). He looks to go downfield, not the easy dump off. People who actually watch the games know this.
Every team in the NFL looks to go downfield once or twice a quarter if just to keep the defense honest. People who watch the games know this. This is basic common-sense football. The common denominator here is Tua, Purdy and Stroud are all Shanahan system QBs. The quick short spread passing game lulls the defense and opens up the long pass once or twice a quarter.

It tells me that Bobby Slowik made big changes to his offensive game plan. They went from being on track to having 93 sacks this year to zero sacks in the last 3 games. To protect Stroud and take pressure off of the OL he sped up the offense. WRs routes were adjusted to be under 3 seconds and Stroud has 2 options based on the defense. As I said earlier, it seems to be working RATHER WELL for the OL, Stroud, and the WRs. Due to injuries to the OL there is not much Slowik can do for the rushing game. I'm just guessing here, but Slowik may have borrowed from Ryan Day's playbook and what worked best for Stroud's quick passing game at OSU. Anyways Slowik's changes certainly seemed to catch the Jags and Steelers off guard.

And it was not a 4-5 second offense. 3.3 seconds is all a good D needs to wreak havoc and sack a QB.

Defenses need a weak OL to wreak havoc. QB needs a strong OL to wreak havoc and/or receivers who can break containment so the QB has throwing options to create his havoc.

Stroud is not like Minshew dumping the ball off like he did against us. One good thing about Stroud is that he tries to throw beyond the hash mark to get first downs. He tries to do that a lot on third downs.
Shanahan's system is very QB-friendly and easier to learn. Basically, it boils down to getting the ball into your playmaker's hands as quickly as possible. From the old Bill Walsh's WCO, WR routes are designed to increase receivers' yards after catch. This plays to Stroud's strength. As noted by Lucky, this is a big reason why Tua, Purdy, and Stroud are league leaders in yards per catch.

Shanahan's system is very QB-friendly and easier to learn. Basically, it boils down to getting the ball into your playmaker's hands as quickly as possible. From the old Bill Walsh's WCO, WR routes are designed to increase receivers' yards after catch. This plays to Stroud's strength. As noted by Lucky, this is a big reason why Tua, Purdy, and Stroud are league leaders in yards per catch.
You're assuming things again.

Stroud's IAY (Intended Air Yard per pass atempt) ranks 9th in the league.

His AYA (Adjusted Yard gained per Attempt) is 8.6

Peyton's Manning's rookie's number was a mere 5.2

Stroud is as far from a dink and dunk QB as can be from the rookie Manning.

Shanahan's system is very QB-friendly and easier to learn.

It still takes a good QB to run it successfully. For some reason, 1st round talent Trey Lance never caught on in spite of how QB-friendly it is.

OCs can build a badass race car but it still takes a great driver to win the race. It's a symbiotic relationship, and acting like one can overcome the flaws of the other is dishonest and small picture analysis.

The last time I checked, Slowik is not throwing darts to receivers under pressure. He's safe on the sidelines directing traffic.

The Texans have the same OL that gave up 11 sacks in games 1 and 2, and zero sacks in games 3,4, and 5.

Actually the OL, in games 3, 4, & 5 (on paper), was even weaker than the OL playing in the first two games.

Slowick made the necessary adjustments to keep his QB upright and productive…..Stroud has 100% delivered on those adjustments. This only goes up from this point.

I want to see the Texans get their OL healthy so the running game can help take some of the pressure off Stroud. Once this accomplished….it’s going to be even more exciting to watch this offense produce.

Last edited:
Every team in the NFL looks to go downfield once or twice a quarter if just to keep the defense honest. People who watch the games know this. This is basic common-sense football. The common denominator here is Tua, Purdy and Stroud are all Shanahan system QBs. The quick short spread passing game lulls the defense and opens up the long pass once or twice a quarter.
Another thing you missed was the much ballyhoed Air raid offense that Dan Fouts ran.

It sounds great until the stats show that Fout's career AYA was just 6.6

He had a single season above 7.9, and that's at 8.3

As I pointed out earlier, Stroud's number was 8.6

Actually the OL, in games 3, 4, & 5 (on paper), was even weaker than the OL playing in the first two games.

Slowick made the necessary adjustments to keep his QB upright and productive…..Stroud has 100% delivered on those adjustments. This only goes up from this point.

I want to see the Texans get their OL healthy so the running game can help take some of the pressure off Stroud. Once this accomplished….it’s going to be even more exciting to watch this offense produce.
We also have to give those hogs up front credit too. They’re doing their jobs protecting their quarterback. A lot of those deep passes doesn’t work if they’re not giving him a clean pocket. He wouldn’t be able to work through his progressions if he’s consistently under pressure.
Now as far as the running game, it’s pretty hard to block 8-9 men in the box. Slow has to figure out another way to get his back’s going. The ZBS isn’t working with DP. Maybe he needs to start DS and bring DP in on short downs. He’s a power runner with bad vision.

Last edited:
We also have to give those hogs up front credit too. They’re doing their jobs protecting their quarterback. A lot of those deep passes doesn’t work if they’re not giving him a clean pocket. He wouldn’t be able to work through his progressions if he’s consistently under pressure.
Now as far as the running game, it’s pretty hard to block 8-9 men in the box. Slow has to figure out another way to get his back’s going. The ZBS isn’t working with DP. Maybe he needs to start DS and bring DP in on short downs. He’s a power runner with bad vision.
It's a little of everything.

If ít's not a blown block, it's a bad play/scheme against a particular defensive set (a rookie QB doesn't help), or it's the back not making the right cut.
Give them at least another 3 games to sort things out.

In this thread from just before the draft 26 April-

I also have Stroud as my QB1 here and my pick at 1-1 (from 7 December, and I don't recall changing my mind between then and the draft)

I'm sure there are plenty of other people on the board who wanted Stroud. They probably just weren't as vocal as the very loud anti-Stroud contingent was/is.

EDIT- I should also add that I think it is probably too early to start dunking on the anti-Stroud crowd. If Stroud were playing poorly I'd argue that it would be too early to call him a bust, so I'm going to stay consistent and say that it is too early to start celebrating. Even if I think there is very little chance that he doesn't stay a very good NFL QB.
For the record I never said Stroud would be a bad QB. Can he be a championship level QB is the question and we won't know this until the Texans become a playoff team. So far things have far exceed my expectations.

Despite their own noses, same posters keep looking for chinks & flaws in Strouds armor unrelenting, to remove cuffs and chains surrounding their opinion.

:deadhorse
Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge Slowik’s success? The same system has done wonders for a guy almost run out of town and Mr. Irrelevant. Is it a nose thing??

You mean Slowick and Shanahan's QB-friendly system couldn't save Trey Lance?

And here I thought if a "bad pick" like Stroud or a lowly-regarded Purdy can strive in the system then any QB could do just the same.
I guess you thought wrong.

Back