Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How patient are y’all going to be with CJ Stroud this season?

Mangler

Toro de España
I know there’s a lot of back and forth that goes on between CJ fans and skeptical Texans fans, but how patient will you guys actually be if the kid looks lost out there? At what point will even his biggest cheerleaders think it’s a good idea to sit him and let the vets take over?

Will being 0-6 at the Bye week be enough, or will y’all still to letting him finish out the season to get all the experience he possibly can?

I know there’s a lot of back and forth that goes on between CJ fans and skeptical Texans fans, but how patient will you guys actually be if the kid looks lost out there? At what point will even his biggest cheerleaders think it’s a good idea to sit him and let the vets take over?

Will being 0-6 at the Bye week be enough, or will y’all still to letting him finish out the season to get all the experience he possibly can?

Stroud will get a few years unless he's absolutely abysmal.

If he starts the season, which is likely, he will have to be really really bad to get yanked and I just don't think that will happen.

I don't think folks have to be all in one way or another with him though...It's ok to have some concerns and it's ok to think he will overcome whatever concerns may be out there.

For me, as long as he's learning and getting better and making plays I'm good. Rookie mistakes and struggles this season aren't going to lead to me calling him a bum.

It's going to be a long season IMO no matter who we roll with.

IMO my patience will be based on what they decide.

If they sit him game one to learn behind Case and Mills then when he goes out there I support him the rest of the season.

If they start him game one... I say he has all season at least for me.

Because I have already accepted that even if we have all the right pieces it isn't a puzzle that is likely put together this season.

Stroud will get a few years unless he's absolutely abysmal.

If he starts the season, which is likely, he will have to be really really bad to get yanked and I just don't think that will happen.

I don't think folks have to be all in one way or another with him though...It's ok to have some concerns and it's ok to think he will overcome whatever concerns may be out there.

For me, as long as he's learning and getting better and making plays I'm good. Rookie mistakes and struggles this season aren't going to lead to me calling him a bum.

This is fair

2 to 2 1/2 yrs is what it takes to see what you've got in a QB and that's if the QB has good talent around him. Most importantly a solid OL.

I thought CJ looked pretty good in game 2. I think the bigger concern is Bobby Slowik. I've seen a lot of terrible offensive play calls, guys not being on the same page, guys not blocking, terrible execution, etc. I realize it's preseason but the offense looks out of sorts.
Same here. But the question is if CJ Stroud is just not ready and is costing us games will y’all still be ok with him being QB1 and be good with him finishing out the 2023 season? I’m pretty sure fans (including big CJ fans) will be calling for a QB change if we’re winless down the stretch because that’s what they do.

Last edited:
Same here. But the question is if CJ Stroud is just not ready and is costing us games will y’all still be ok with him being QB1 and be good with him finishing out the 2023 season? I’m pretty sure fans (including big CJ fans) will be calling for a QB change if we’re winless down the stretch because that’s what they do.

I'm not worried in the least about CJ. Did you watch the Miami game? CJ is going to play as well as Slowik's system permits. CJ is going to be just fine.

I have no doubt there'll be some times this season that Stroud gets yanked just 'cause, and Mills or Case comes in and finishes the game. But Stroud will be back starting the next week. And that could happen a lot. But Stroud's the starter, that part's over with.

The only concerns I have about Ws is folks will blast trading for 1.3 saying we could have had 51 at 2.

I want to see progress by Stroud. Yes other players and coaching has to be evaluated but as with Mills, there will be plays that CJ will have responsibility. If he starts each game and plays at least a half, I expect significant progress by game 4.

I want to see same progress from Kenyon Green by game 2 or I will make my POV known.

The only concerns I have about Ws is folks will blast trading for 1.3 saying we could have had 51 at 2.

I want to see progress by Stroud. Yes other players and coaching has to be evaluated but as with Mills, there will be plays that CJ will have responsibility. If he starts each game and plays at least a half, I expect significant progress by game 4.

I want to see same progress from Kenyon Green by game 2 or I will make my POV known.

I'm with ya! CJ and the Texans better give me my glory or else I'm going to write a very strongly-worded letter expressing my displeasure to Mayor Turner!

The only sense in which I will lose patience , and it will be in the rookie QB project rather than Stroud personally, will be if it becomes clear that he needs to sit and watch and learn, but the coaching staff is unable or unwilling to let him do that.

Im a strong believer that if QBs are completely lost they can begin getting into self preservation bad habits that can’t always be outcoached and putting tendencies on tape that they will never be able to overcome. I really hope ownership are standing back because I believe that Ryans and his staff are level headed enough to allow him to take the right development path for him if they are unhindered, just last season in San Fran we saw that draft position wasn’t as important as readiness in success at the position. Are ownership getting out of the way, because to my mind watching Case Keenum run a struggling O is preferable to submarining CJ’s development if he isn’t ready.

The only sense in which I will lose patience , and it will be in the rookie QB project rather than Stroud personally, will be if it becomes clear that he needs to sit and watch and learn, but the coaching staff is unable or unwilling to let him do that.

Im a strong believer that if QBs are completely lost they can begin getting into self preservation bad habits that can’t always be outcoached and putting tendencies on tape that they will never be able to overcome. I really hope ownership are standing back because I believe that Ryans and his staff are level headed enough to allow him to take the right development path for him if they are unhindered, just last season in San Fran we saw that draft position wasn’t as important as readiness in success at the position. Are ownership getting out of the way, because to my mind watching Case Keenum run a struggling O is preferable to submarining CJ’s development if he isn’t ready.

I think CJ is going to be ok but I also think that the offense is going to struggle. At least that is my initial impression. This is essentially a project year. My early impression is that they're going to have to bring in some good OL next April and then I think the offense can become solid next season. :)

I think CJ is going to be ok but I also think that the offense is going to struggle. At least that is my initial impression. This is essentially a project year. My early impression is that they're going to have to bring in some good OL next April and then I think the offense can become solid next season. :)
I think the focus next year will be on weapons and depth

I 100% want to see him play all season. I however would like to see improvement in his game during the season. He is going to be up and down. But, if he is playing on a consistent basis and improvement is seen from game 1 to game 17 I'll be happy.

Now, if by say game 7 to 9 I have not seen any improvement in his game and his INT to TD ratio is awful...by all means yank him and play Case or Mills.

Overall, I think he is going to be good. But, he has to show up and improve in each game win or lose. Once we have a good (not great) OL in front of him I think he is going to excel. When he was going in game 1 of the preseason he had almost no time to get fully comfortable. Game 2, he improved but we lost. Game 3 is being said starters are playing 2 or so series. Not a lot of ability for seeing improvement but it should show if he looks like he is trending the right way.

I will say overall, I am ok with ups and downs with improvement. And if he seems to understand the system. Going into year 2, he is going to have to be a leader and make few mistakes as they will happen with any QB. But the fewer games we see any the better. I think 2 years, unless he plays badly will tell us if he is "The Guy" or if we still need a QB. My money is he will be ok. Until he is playing 1/2 a season we will not see those improvements or lack of.

I'm at 75/25 75% he is a franchise guy 25% he is not the guy.

Was Slowik calling the plays for the 49er's last season?

The offense looked good in game 1, with the exception of CJ. Game 2 was a reversal.

Let's hope it all comes together Sunday night!

OC's that work under Shanny seem to do well

Not you, but some seem to be setting up future excuses if Stroud isn't successful. It's like some think Slowik is going to be another Pep.

I think they have weapons. I think building the OL will be the priority but we shall see.
With all due respect this is a crazy take to me. This offseason was the offseason of the oline. We traded for and then extended a RG, extended RT and LT, and drafted a center 2nd round as well as a Guard/Center 5th round. The oline is built, we'll probably see a change at LG if Green looks like he did last year but outside of that this is the oline that will be out there next year. And I mean in the little preseason we've seen it looks solid enough in the pass game.

Certainly I feel a little better about oline than the weapons. Pierce and Schultz are above average players but they aren't game wreckers or anything. At WR the #1 is Nico Collins a guy who I'm higher than most on and even I have his ceiling as a good #2 WR. Tank Dell has shown some promise but still have only seen 1 preseason game out of him and size will always limit him to an extent. Robert Woods and Noah Brown are two serviceable vets brought in to be reliable targets and good blockers but that doesn't move the needle as far as weapons. Metchie has promise and started off camp hot but has completely disappeared once the preseason started. The guy has cancer and missed a year of football so at this point I'm going to expect nothing (not that it's his fault) until it shows on the field.

We'll see what problem areas show themselves over the course of the season but the absolute #1 thing that we need to figure out next offseason is figure out a way to get a true #1 for Stroud.

I 100% want to see him play all season. I however would like to see improvement in his game during the season. He is going to be up and down. But, if he is playing on a consistent basis and improvement is seen from game 1 to game 17 I'll be happy.

Now, if by say game 7 to 9 I have not seen any improvement in his game and his INT to TD ratio is awful...by all means yank him and play Case or Mills.

Overall, I think he is going to be good. But, he has to show up and improve in each game win or lose. Once we have a good (not great) OL in front of him I think he is going to excel. When he was going in game 1 of the preseason he had almost no time to get fully comfortable. Game 2, he improved but we lost. Game 3 is being said starters are playing 2 or so series. Not a lot of ability for seeing improvement but it should show if he looks like he is trending the right way.

I will say overall, I am ok with ups and downs with improvement. And if he seems to understand the system. Going into year 2, he is going to have to be a leader and make few mistakes as they will happen with any QB. But the fewer games we see any the better. I think 2 years, unless he plays badly will tell us if he is "The Guy" or if we still need a QB. My money is he will be ok. Until he is playing 1/2 a season we will not see those improvements or lack of.

Great post

But the Texans ol should be solid this year if they can stay healthy.

I have no doubt there'll be some times this season that Stroud gets yanked just 'cause, and Mills or Case comes in and finishes the game. But Stroud will be back starting the next week. And that could happen a lot. But Stroud's the starter, that part's over with.
I hope not. I’ve only seen a select few teams pull that type of nonsense, one being the Texans. If they continue that silly trend, that basically means nothing has changed over there on Kirby drive.

As far as being patient, I will be extremely patient with the entire team at this point. We have a rookie HC, a rookie OC, a rookie center and a rookie quarterback. So there’s going to be tons of mistakes all across the board. We don’t have the best wide receiver core out there. And after two preseason games, I’m somewhat concerned about the running game because those boys up front are not winning their battles.

With all due respect this is a crazy take to me. This offseason was the offseason of the oline. We traded for and then extended a RG, extended RT and LT, and drafted a center 2nd round as well as a Guard/Center 5th round. The oline is built, we'll probably see a change at LG if Green looks like he did last year but outside of that this is the oline that will be out there next year. And I mean in the little preseason we've seen it looks solid enough in the pass game.

Certainly I feel a little better about oline than the weapons. Pierce and Schultz are above average players but they aren't game wreckers or anything. At WR the #1 is Nico Collins a guy who I'm higher than most on and even I have his ceiling as a good #2 WR. Tank Dell has shown some promise but still have only seen 1 preseason game out of him and size will always limit him to an extent. Robert Woods and Noah Brown are two serviceable vets brought in to be reliable targets and good blockers but that doesn't move the needle as far as weapons. Metchie has promise and started off camp hot but has completely disappeared once the preseason started. The guy has cancer and missed a year of football so at this point I'm going to expect nothing (not that it's his fault) until it shows on the field.

We'll see what problem areas show themselves over the course of the season but the absolute #1 thing that we need to figure out next offseason is figure out a way to get a true #1 for Stroud.

As I said, I believe they have weapons. Tank looks good. I'm expecting Metchie to be good. I think Collins can be solid to good in this upgraded offense. Schultz is good. I like Pierce's game.

I think the defense can be outstanding.

To me it makes sense to upgrade a solid OL onto a DOMINANT OL.

My assessments may be completely wrong. We shall see.

A lot of new faces. We hope that DeMeco, Bobby, CJ, etc., are successful but nothing is assured.
Not really.

Tunsil, Green and Howard have all been here awhile. Mason is a pro bowl level player. Scruggs is the new guy. Jones is depth but he's had some level of success in the NFL. Fant has been around the block etc.... these are sold depth pieces.

As I said, I believe they have weapons. Tank looks good. I'm expecting Metchie to be good. I think Collins can be solid to good in this upgraded offense. Schultz is good. I like Pierce's game.

These guys are solid to above avg players. The Pats have proven you can win with guys like this. But there's no guys like Jefferson Kupp, Diggs on this team and fans have been spoiled by seeing AJ, Hopkins over the last 15 years.

I hope not. I’ve only seen a select few teams pull that type of nonsense, one being the Texans. If they continue that silly trend, that basically means nothing has changed over there on Kirby drive.

As far as being patient, I will be extremely patient with the entire team at this point. We have a rookie HC, a rookie OC, a rookie center and a rookie quarterback. So there’s going to be tons of mistakes all across the board. We don’t have the best wide receiver core out there. And after two preseason games, I’m somewhat concerned about the running game because those boys up front are not winning their battles.
Nothing has changed when it comes to the marketing firm with a football division known as the Houston Texans.

These guys are solid to above avg players. The Pats have proven you can win with guys like this. But there's no guys like Jefferson Kupp, Diggs on this team and fans have been spoiled by seeing AJ, Hopkins over the last 15 years.

I understand. I think the offensive skill players can compete. I also think that this is a development year for the offense. This isn't a one year fix. As you have said, if the defense is good and the offense can be decent, a winning season is possible. That's what I'm hoping for.

I think the thing is where are you going to upgrade on the oline? We just used a 2nd on Scruggs so he's gonna get some time. RT, RG, and LT are all set for a few years. Only spot that I think has a shot at changing next year is gonna be LG and even that is dependent on how Green looks this year.

And like I said I agree there are some weapons available now but we're missing the big gun and that's huge and I think Stroud will suffer some for it this year.

Last edited:
Only spot that I think has a shot at changing next year is gonna be LG and even that is dependent on how Green looks this year.

I hope Green turns into a monster but if he's a weak link then his position might be next April's #1 need.

On another note, getting Dell in the 3rd round might have been a steal and maybe they can repeat it 24' AND get an outstanding OG in the first.

I hope Green turns into a monster but if he's a weak link then his position might be next April's #1 need.

On another note, getting Dell in the 3rd round might have been a steal and maybe they can repeat it 24' AND get an outstanding OG in the first.
My best guess is we'll see Kenyon Green become a below average guard (but not the disaster he was last year) and I don't think that will be enough for them to replace him. Ultimately he was a first round pick and I'd be very surprised to see us move off him after just two years and spend another first round pick on IOL.

I’m 60/40 when it comes to CJ. (60% being the guy and 40% him not being the guy) Doesn’t mean I don’t like CJ, I’m just a bit skeptical. I liked what I saw in the one good drive that he had in the 2nd preseason game, but besides that one drive he didn’t look impressive at all if we’re being honest. I’m in for the ride so I’ll root for the kid nonetheless.

Last edited:
I'm with ya! CJ and the Texans better give me my glory or else I'm going to write a very strongly-worded letter expressing my displeasure to Mayor Turner!
Turner? I'll have you know that I have the personal number of the dog catcher! Well.. maybe not the dog catcher.. but the number of someone who knows the dog catcher office number!

They have 3 first rounders, a 2nd rounder, a 4th who plays like a 2nd and decent depth at every position. They also are #1 in o-line spending in the NFL. Exactly how much more capital (draft and $$$) do you suggest at this position?

They have 3 first rounders, a 2nd rounder, a 4th who plays like a 2nd and decent depth at every position. They also are #1 in o-line spending in the NFL. Exactly how much more capital (draft and $$$) do you suggest at this position?
I agree with your premise but if Jones is RT now that Howard is back in a cast, who is depth you speak of? I'm excited for a healthy Patterson; do we have that?

I agree with your premise but if Jones is RT now that Howard is back in a cast, who is depth you speak of? I'm excited for a healthy Patterson; do we have that?
How many OLmen will be carried on the 53? Deiter backs up at Guard and Center. Jones backs up at Guard and Tackle.

Because Deiter and Jones have all five positions covered, I think they could go with only eight.

So who is eight? Until Howard is cleared to play, it has to be a Tackle. Fant? Who is this Zierer listed as number two behind Howard on the depth chart?

But however you slice it, I don't see Patterson making the 53. He's for the PS. Same for Morrissey. He's one of our more flexible backups at both Guard and Center, but I don't see him making the 53.

Perhaps if they keep nine, that ninth spot may be between Patterson and Morrissey.

Oh man. Reading through old posts from 2021 through early 2023 just made me realize that if CJ is to stink up the joint (really hoping this doesn’t happen) and gets yanked for Mills, I can almost guarantee we see the old “tHe TeXaNs Is RaCisT bRuh” narrative all over Sports Center, First Take, and social media again. It will get nasty real fast!

Sucks because it has been nice ever since that bs stopped up in here. Seems like most of us can go back and forth agreeing/disagreeing again, and it’s all good because we’re on the same team at the end of the day.

Rooting for our QB’s no matter who pulls away as QB1! Just get us to the promised land fellers!

How many OLmen will be carried on the 53? Deiter backs up at Guard and Center. Jones backs up at Guard and Tackle.

Because Deiter and Jones have all five positions covered, I think they could go with only eight.

So who is eight? Until Howard is cleared to play, it has to be a Tackle. Fant? Who is this Zierer listed as number two behind Howard on the depth chart?

But however you slice it, I don't see Patterson making the 53. He's for the PS. Same for Morrissey. He's one of our more flexible backups at both Guard and Center, but I don't see him making the 53.

Perhaps if they keep nine, that ninth spot may be between Patterson and Morrissey.
It's an interesting question for sure. Especially given Howard's question of availability for week 1 which shades towards Fant being kept and playing as Jones isn't familiar with the system (to my knowledge). So it would be Fant, Jones, Deiter.

That said if Howard is healthy or if Jones is ready I would shade towards expecting Jones, Deiter, Pattersson, but that's purely based on the team having just drafted Pattersson and assuming that another team might poach him if they had a draftable grade on him.

Oh man. Reading through old posts from 2021 through early 2023 just made me realize that if CJ is to stink up the joint (really hoping this doesn’t happen) and gets yanked for Mills, I can almost guarantee we see the old “tHe TeXaNs Is RaCisT bRuh” narrative all over Sports Center, First Take, and social media again. It will get nasty real fast!

Sucks because it has been nice ever since that bs stopped up in here. Seems like most of us can go back and forth agreeing/disagreeing again, and it’s all good because we’re on the same team at the end of the day.

Rooting for our QB’s no matter who pulls away as QB1! Just get us to the promised land fellers!
The 2 cousins (?) are gone.

This is me waiting for a Texans Super Bowl...

titanic.gif

The Texans 2023 Draft would clearly indicate that they are all-in on Stroud, i.e. there's no turning back.
It would not have been my Draft strategy but I didn't win the lottery by being born into a billionaires family, so Cal and his wife get to play NFL owners with the founders fortune.

Back