Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

How patient are y’all going to be with CJ Stroud this season?

Patience?? It's been 2 preseason games already. He's yet to lead the team into the end zone and has a 0/1 TD/INT ratio. Patience has left the building.

:sarcasm:

I think he would have had a TD had Schultz not stopped running to the end zone on 4th and goal from the 6. I hope Slowik gets this stuff fixed.

If CJ doesn't succeed it wont be because of Slowik's system. The same system Purdy (Mr. Irrelevant) used last yr.
That's like saying if Tom Savage fails it won't be because of BO'b system, same system some 6th round pick won 6 SBs in.

Slowick was like Culley in SF. He was in the meeting room. Every now & again they asked his opinion, but only after they told him what it was.

(DisFreak'nClaimer. This post is for steelbtexan only. Do not respond, please, if you know how to post a link)

But the question is if CJ Stroud is just not ready and is costing us games will y’all still be ok with him being QB1 and be good with him finishing out the 2023 season?
I'm not really concerned about Stroud. If anything we'll be making excuses for Green, scapegoating whoever our starting Center will be & talking about the step Mason lost & the inability of the receivers (including disappearing TE) to get open & Slowick's ability to scheme them open.

I'm just going to say I told you so, this team ain't ready for a rookie QB.

I just hope I get to witness our home team win a Super Bowl before my time is up. Don’t want to be like that old b*tch right there…
I'm going to be so piszed if it's not in Houston.

Don't givAdamn if they win 6 in the next 6 years if one isn't in Houston they can shove those "trophies" up their....

I'm not really concerned about Stroud. If anything we'll be making excuses for Green, scapegoating whoever our starting Center will be & talking about the step Mason lost & the inability of the receivers (including disappearing TE) to get open & Slowick's ability to scheme them open.

I'm just going to say I told you so, this team ain't ready for a rookie QB.

What are you saying I told you so to nothing has happened? Patting yourself on the back because you still agree with your previous opinion is objectively pretty funny though.

Good thread op (@Mangler.) Lots of solid back and forth here, fellas.

Imo this will be a season full of real defeats and moral victories. I'll be thrilled with anything more then 7 wins ,but that isn't exactly the question presented...

How patient will you be with CJ?

It's all context. I (all of us I expect) was happier with his performance in a blowout loss then I was in a week 1 win. So the devil IS in the details.

First and foremost, he needs to demonstrate a functional understanding of the offense. He hasn't looked lost to me (yet.) I don't expect a rookie qb to take over games. Just facilitate. Run the plays as designed. Get the ball to your skill position players as efficiently and error free as possible. If they don't perform, then they don't ,and I won't blame CJ for it.

Don't be detrimental to the team. That game 2 series 1 delay of game penalty was absolutely bs. Maybe that was the coaching staff, maybe that was cj not paying attention, maybe it was something else? Can't have it. It's a perfect example of the bs we have to avoid. Obviously his every turnover will be under a microscope. Minimize that. I'll also be looking for any spike in blown assignments, false starts, and alignment issues on offense.

You have to be a strong manager before you can be the hero. If you can't operate the offense, operate a spot by the Gatorade.

Game management by the coaching staff, player performance, and real time game scenarios will factor into my evaluation of CJ as well. Again, it's all context...

-I fully anticipate game management problems from a rookie coaching staff. Play calling? Go for it / dont? Challenges? Clock management? Etc. That's secular. CJ's win-loss record will be something doubters note often. All coaching staff's sh*t the bed and lose games at least 1-4 times per year. I'll try to judge CJ independent of that. Maybe you should to?

-Player performance: how much does his surrounding cast effect his play? Pierce is the only legitimate skill player of note. Read that last sentence again. Schultz is a fat receiver and they've had no noteworthy connection so far. The cowboys fans I know weren't upset to see him leave. (Another te unicorn dream.) Some wr's have shown promise. Now prove it.

And the G.D. Texans OL better live up to their check and draft selection. Week 1 they leaked worse then a Louisiana dike. They were better in the week 2 game, but every account I read watching the joint practices expressed a huge concern. I guess I'm scarred like a lot of you. Let's not David Carr him into permanent submission. Even if I think cj is evolving, I'll sit him before he sets new sack records.

-Real time game scenarios: if the defense and special teams are prone to giving up scores early in a game, it genuinely impacts the offense. Defenses know. When an offense becomes 1 dimensional, defenders pin their ears back and go. Game scenarios and deficits should effect your judgment when evaluating a rookie qb. Take a balanced approach.

To answer the op's question: I'll be as patient as his performance and the ol allows. If the guy is performing well but getting killed by dl's, I'll sit him. I'll save him for next year.

I want to see him evolve. If he's consistently finding new ways to phuc-k up, I'll probably be OK with it. If he's making the same mistakes over and over again, that's a ginormous red flag for me.

Long post. Sorry for that. If you got this far, thanks.

The system doesn't matter as much as the play calling and the coaching. Slowik's a rookie OC, so I expect hiccups along the way. I also expect Slowik to have a much shorter leash than CJ.

Shanny coaches are successful running this offense. The only doubt I have is how quickly Slowik getting a QB he didn't want in the first place is going to figure out a way to get the best out of Stroud. That's going to be the key to success. And no I don't have a link. Excuse me I thought I was talking to 76😂.

Shanny coaches are successful running this offense. The only doubt I have is how quickly Slowik getting a QB he didn't want in the first place is going to figure out a way to get the best out of Stroud. That's going to be the key to success. And no I don't have a link. Excuse me I thought I was talking to 76😂.

Your gonna need links to back that up. Without them, this is fiction.

That's like saying if Tom Savage fails it won't be because of BO'b system, same system some 6th round pick won 6 SBs in.

Slowick was like Culley in SF. He was in the meeting room. Every now & again they asked his opinion, but only after they told him what it was.

(DisFreak'nClaimer. This post is for steelbtexan only. Do not respond, please, if you know how to post a link)
If you truly believe this I'm certainly not going to change your mind.

Not directed at you, some are already setting up the fall guy when Mr.S-2 fails. And yes I hope I'm wrong.

I've had Earl Cambel sausage links and they're good.

Separate issue.

You just said the oc didn't want CJ?

Back that.
I also thought in that post I said I didn't have a link. Just an opinion..

Do you think everybody from Janice down thought Stroud was their guy? I don't and we can agree to disagree.Sorry about what I did a few days ago. Honest mistake.

Last edited:
I also thought in that post I said I didn't have a link. Just an option.

Do you think everybody from Janice down thought Stroud was their guy? I don't and we can agree to disagree.Sorry about what I did a few days ago. Honest mistake.

No worries on the personal bs.

You just said slow didn't want cj. That's significant. I need substance on that. How did you get that impression?

And they rip off Vrabel's face to find Jack Easterby under there! :corrosion:

And then,

Light refracting from the light house was never infact a ghost. Scooby just couldn't handle his hallucinogenic mushrooms.

The blonde girl wanted the blonde guy but he didn't want her because he was a she / shim. And that was ok because dont ask don't tell. The Lil pup did lines of coke because he was schizophrenic and his doctor never could get the dose right. But they tried and that deserves a participation award.

The librarian girl with the bowl haircut was xzena the princess warrior 30 years before xzena. She literally rode in a van cross country putting herself in harms way waiting on a moment of weakness from the aforementioned blonde.

They were all high as hell and couldn’t remember a thing so they pretended it was a mystery.

And they were in a van.

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:
And then,

Light retracting from the light house was never infact a ghost. Scooby just couldn't handle his hallucinogenic mushrooms.

The blonde girl wanted the blonde guy but he didn't want her because he was a she / shim. And that was ok because dont ask don't tell. The Lil pup did lines of coke because he was schizophrenic and his doctor never could get the dose right. But they tried and that deserves a participation award.

The librarian girl with the bowl haircut was xzena the princess warrior 30 years before xzena. She literally rode in a van cross country putting herself in harms way waiting on a moment of weakness from the aforementioned blonde.

They were all high as hell and couldn’t remember a thing so they pretended it was a mystery.

And they were in a van.

Did I miss anything?
Whoa! I was just smoking some of this vape I got from Seattle a few days ago (smuggled back about 6 vape cartridges and around 8 joints) as I sipped a glass of this brand new EH Taylor (Single Barrel) the wife got me while listening to music out in the front porch and I just lost my train of thought…phook

That game 2 series 1 delay of game penalty was absolutely bs. Maybe that was the coaching staff, maybe that was cj not paying attention, maybe it was something else?
Game management by the coaching staff, player performance, and real time game scenarios will factor into my evaluation
Not too long after our delay of game penalty Miami's coaching staff saved their QB from making the same mistake by calling a time-out.

If he looks like he's working on things, caring, not being a shithead, etc then the leash will be longer.

If he totally sucks, is disinterested, causing drama, etc the leash will shorter.

His link is third party guys on here.
BS

I've PM'ed Powda and let him know a name where I've heard this from and asked him not to share. He's just being contrarian or doesn't believe the guy who told me this. My guy isn't a member of this MB as far as I know. He's a long time season ticketholer.

One things for sure, nothing is going to change your mind.

Last edited:
Penguin is my hero.

Takes a special kind of penguin to make it in these parts......

Even more impressive the quickness to have not wound up BBQed.
Perhaps you should compose a song.. a ballad to your hero?

You know like "this song's for you and you can tell everybody" or Denver's Annie's song. Karen Carpenter had some that tugged my heart.

Maybe hard to rhyme with Penguin...

He is/was a character.

Accuracy is the most important asset for a QB in this system. CJ is definitely an accurate QB. It's not a WCO.

Accuracy is the most important asset for a QB in this system. CJ is definitely an accurate QB. It's not a WCO.
Agreed,

The system works, I just got through watching Purdy. It's just a matter of how quickly Stroud Can learn the system.

What I'm trying to stop is it seems to me that some posters are trying to build in excuses like if Stroud doesn't succeed it will be Slowik's fault.

BS

I've PM'ed Powda and let him know a name where I've heard this from and asked him not to share. He's just being contrarian or doesn't believe the guy who told me this. My guy isn't a member of this MB as far as I know. He's a long time season ticketholer.

One things for sure, nothing is going to change your mind.
You’ve been throwing around two members name for the longest. Now you want us to believe you got that from where again?

I’m running with Coach Ryan’s. He says otherwise.

Back