Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

How patient are y’all going to be with CJ Stroud this season?

Shanahan has always been the one that call play for the Niners.

He had one OC, Mike McDaniels, who became the HC for the Dolphins last year.

The Dolphina went 9-8 and was one and done.
The previous two years, they finished 10-6 and 9-8.

Last season, they added Tyrek Hill.

In summary, McDaniels came to a team that finished 19-14 the previous two years and didn't improve the record.

Slowik is coming to a team that finished 7-26-1 and you expect him to help the team to 10 wins?

Laughable.

The passing game coordinator before Slowik was LaFleur.
He went to the Jets and that team went 4-13 and 7-10.

What success are you talking about?
What about LaFluer s brother who is the HC of the Packers?

Yes the younger LaFluer got stuck with Wilson and the blame fell on him. I suspect the same thing will happen to Slowik if Strouds unsuccessful. Gotta have a scapegoat.

Bottom line is you either trust Ryans choice of Slowik or you don't.

Yes the younger LaFluer got stuck with Wilson and the blame fell on him. I suspect the same thing will happen to Slowik if Strouds unsuccessful. Gotta have a scapegoat.

Well I can see TB found his possible scapegoat.

Do you have a link to how successful the system was in Shanahan first two years in SF?

Or you just know that it was successful because you said so... even as what you said was NOT correct?
LMAO, Shanny became more successful when he traded for Jimmy G.

As an OC the best yr the Texans had offensively was the yr Shanny called plays down on Kirby.

Matt LaFleur started under Kubiak then went to work with Shanahan Sr.
He learned from those experienced coaches first.

And the silliness keeps going and going and going.
What silliness?

Truth is some posters are already setting up excuses IF Strouds not successful. Some not you did the same thing with Derrick.

Wanna bet Derrick struggles this yr without BOB, Kelly running the offense?

Shanahan himself had 2 losing seasons in SF to begin his HC career.

As an OC, he never had a team with a winning record his first year, whether it was the Texans, the old Redskins, the Browns, or the Falcons.
Yep, until he traded for Jimmy G.

Green can't stay healthy; he was bad even when he was healthy.

Did Mason ever made the Pro Bowl?

When will Howard play again?
Can you guarantee that he gets back to his middling level of play when he returns?

The one thing I agree with you is that Scruggs is new (besides Tunsil being the obvious).

They're screwed

Sure invested a lot to get done like Derrick does his masseuses

LMAO, Shanny became more successful when he traded for Jimmy G.

As an OC the best yr the Texans had offensively was the yr Shanny called plays down on Kirby.
That would be wrong, too.

The Texans offense ranked 17th and 10th in points scored under Shanahan.

They improved to 9th, 10th, and 8th the next 3 years (when Shanny left to work with his father).
Rick Dennison was the OC in those 3 years.

That would be wrong, too.

The Texans offense ranked 17th and 10th in points scored under Shanahan.

They improved to 9th, 10th, and 8th the next 3 years (when Shanny left to work with his father).
Rick Dennison was the OC in those 3 years.
Before Shanny became OC where were they ranked? The offense definitely grew under Kyle's watch and continued to grow under Dennison's watch when guys gained experience in the system

Before Shanny became OC where were they ranked? The offense definitely grew under Kyle's watch and continued to grow under Dennison's watch when guys gained experience in the system
In 2007, the Texans ranked 12th in points scored.
In 2008, with Shanahan, they ranked 17th.

The offense continued to get with Kubiak as the HC and Dennison as the OC.

Please stop being ridiculous.

The Vikings ranked lower in both points scored and yards gained in recent years under Klint.
Is it not true that Cousins had his best yr under Kubiak?

BTW, why is it if the offense sucked so bad under Kyle that most fans here were clamoring for him to be the next HC? Sometimes numbers lie, a fact that obviously escapes you. Anyways I'm moving on. Have good night.

It is, you're boy Beathard just sucked at running the system.
LOL, you keep moving the goal post.
I had Beathard as the 5th QB to be drafted, and in the third round.

The Bills bypassed him and selected Davis Webb. LoL.

Rookie HC, Rookie QB.
What did you expect.
Don't forget that Jimmy G was just 7-5 in TD/Int that first year with the Niners.

Beathard was always a long shot to see if he can become a late bloomer like Schaub.

I definitely didn't raise him up like you did with Kelly or Peterman, etc. 🤣

Is it not true that Cousins had his best yr under Kubiak?

BTW, why is it if the offense sucked so bad under Kyle that most fans here were clamoring for him to be the next HC? Sometimes numbers lie, a fact that obviously escapes you. Anyways I'm moving on. Have good night.
What do you have to tell me that Cousins had the best year under Klint?

Secondly, I never said the Texans offense sucked under Kyle Shanahan.

Kyle learned under two successful coaches: his father and Gary Kubiak (neither was born a genius).

Neither was Kyle.

Kyle wasn't born a genius either.

It took all 3 of them some time to become good.

As I remember, you said Gary Kubiak was a mediocre HC for the Texans despite his SB rings, either as a backup QB or an OC.

What about Kyle Shanahan?

Truth is some posters are already setting up excuses IF Strouds not successful.
Truth is before the Texans drafted a QB I argued against drafting a QB because I was concerned this team has not been good in the fundamentals (blocking & tackling) for quite some time.

How are we going to objectively determine if we’re critiquing a bad team or “making excuses”

Truth is before the Texans drafted a QB I argued against drafting a QB because I was concerned this team has not been good in the fundamentals (blocking & tackling) for quite some time.

How are we going to objectively determine if we’re critiquing a bad team or “making excuses”

That’s a fair question, but with this coaching regime, specifically DeMeco, had no doubt this was the time to invest in QB position. Very positive, measured, with a plan of growth for all his players which only can nurture CJ and enhance his skill set, an outcome that lesson’s any chance of him turning into a turd like Watson.

That’s a fair question, but with this coaching regime, specifically DeMeco, had no doubt this was the time to invest in QB position. Very positive, measured, with a plan of growth for all his players which only can nurture CJ and enhance his skill set, an outcome that lesson’s any chance of him turning into a turd like Watson.
Ok

Yet Strouds surrounding himself with the same people Derrick did.

I'd love to drop a young highly rated QB prospect into a team with a solid oline, a great group of pass catchers, and a solid defense that would be awesome. But if you have all of those things you probably aren't gonna draft high enough to get a highly rated QB prospect.

Ok

Yet Strouds surrounding himself with the same people Derrick did.

Not sure how Watson connection relates but do acknowledge there is fraternity amongst NFL QB’s before, during and after play but I’m talking more about that support group in positive way. Hard for any of us to say how close personal relationships are, so I refuse to go down that rabbit hole with such strong conviction and bias. Prefer to see similarities on the field, like pointing up to the heavens after throwing a TD, but then again I am more naive and just a fan of his and direction DeMeco is taking this franchise.

:logo:

Not sure how Watson connection relates but do acknowledge there is fraternity amongst NFL QB’s before, during and after play but I’m talking more about that support group in positive way. Hard for any of us to say how close personal relationships are, so I refuse to go down that rabbit hole with such strong conviction and bias. Prefer to see similarities on the field, like pointing up to the heavens after throwing a TD, but then again I am more naive and just a fan of his and direction DeMeco is taking this franchise.

:logo:
Derrick/David from the inner city/The trash that is Quincey Avery/Marketing guy Burney etc... Yep that's who the McNair's have chosen to get in bed with AGAIN. It's like the McNair's didn't learn a darned thing. But eventually they will learn the hard way AGAIN. All for a mid tier QB prospect. Before you say he's better than this, ask yourself how good do you think Burrow/Herbert/Mahomes/Allen are and is Stroud going to become that level QB?

I'd love to drop a young highly rated QB prospect into a team with a solid oline, a great group of pass catchers, and a solid defense that would be awesome. But if you have all of those things you probably aren't gonna draft high enough to get a highly rated QB prospect.
No argument from me.

I mentioned blocking & tackling. We've consistently been among the worst teams in pass blocking, rushing & run defense. If this was Slowick's 2nd year as OC... I probably wouldn't have an issue.

Derrick/David from the inner city/The trash that is Quincey Avery/Marketing guy Burney etc... Yep that's who the McNair's have chosen to get in bed with AGAIN. It's like the McNair's didn't learn a darned thing. But eventually they will learn the hard way AGAIN. All for a mid tier QB prospect. Before you say he's better than this, ask yourself how good do you think Burrow/Herbert/Mahomes/Allen are and is Stroud going to become that level QB?

Nothing mid-tier about CJ Stroud. Give him time in this system.

:bag:

I really don't understand how you rank a QB.

Would you consider any of these QBs top tier?

Dan Marino (Hall of Fame Class of 2005)
Jim Kelly (Hall of Fame Class of 2002)
Fran Tarkenton (Hall of Fame Class of 1986)
Dan Fouts (Hall of Fame Class of 1993)

None of them won a SB. I guess you could say they all choked in the big games & the only reason they are in the Hall of Fame is because of stats. But I guess they probably got extra points for playing in the pre WWE days of the NFL.

Isn’t Dak considered a top 10 QB for awhile? Lot of experts compare CJ to him. My evaluation of CJ is he has better accuracy than Dak plus mobility, he just hasn’t shown it, but he can move.
What current QB would you compare him to talent wise.

I'm talking accuracy and anticipation, arm strength, mobility etc...

I question Stroud's play under pressure. It wasn't good in college. He's a great thrower of the football when there's a clean pocket, but that's not how the NFL game is played.

@steelbtexan

Ye of little faith. You frequently send the signal that you hope that CJ fails.

As a Buckeye I've seen guys that I didn't think should be on the team either, but I never rooted against them.

What does CJ need to do over the course of his career for you to consider him a successful quarterback?

@steelbtexan

As a Buckeye I've seen guys that I didn't think should be on the team either, but I never rooted against them.

What does CJ need to do over the course of his career for you to consider him a successful quarterback?
I'm not steelb but in the NFL I think the best way to silence critics.

Win. (Preferred to not stumble into the Ws)

I hope CJ dominates becomes the future of this franchise for decades creating a legacy etc etc etc.

However I am a pessimist so Im not holding my breath.

Im not saying CJ is a bust but IMO he has this year to prove himself. IF he looks like 💩.... then I wont be happy giving him another season... but if there is growth etc... he is my QB.... regardless of his future status and I will support him until he gives me no more reason to hope.

I'm not steelb but in the NFL I think the best way to silence critics.

Win. (Preferred to not stumble into the Ws)

I hope CJ dominates becomes the future of this franchise for decades creating a legacy etc etc etc.

However I am a pessimist so Im not holding my breath.

Im not saying CJ is a bust but IMO he has this year to prove himself. IF he looks like 💩.... then I wont be happy giving him another season... but if there is growth etc... he is my QB.... regardless of his future status and I will support him until he gives me no more reason to hope.

Slowik needs to have a game plan that this young offense can execute in order to win. Players gotta execute but Slowik has to be REALLY good for them to get 9 wins, which I think would be a very successful first season for the new staff.

Slowik needs to have a game plan that this young offense can execute in order to win. Players gotta execute but Slowik has to be REALLY good for them to get 9 wins, which I think would be a very successful first season for the new staff.
Slowick and Ryans can be as good as can be but until the young players get enough experience under their belt and learn what it takes to win then 6-7 wins is much more realistic goal.

I'm not Steelb either, but until he changes agents he won't get a fair shake from him.
9 wins is much too high a bar to set this year to be happy with how the team is improving. I want to see effort and improvement from week to week. I expect CJ and the coaches to make mistakes, but I expect them to learn from them and not keep repeating them

I'm not Steelb either, but until he changes agents he won't get a fair shake from him.

9 wins is much too high a bar to set this year to be happy with how the team is improving. I want to see effort and improvement from week to week. I expect CJ and the coaches to make mistakes, but I expect them to learn from them and not keep repeating them

Maybe I've been hitting the pipe too much but I'm hoping for 9, but would be satisfied with 7. I keep telling myself that this is a development year for the offense.

Some of you guys have high expectations for a Rookie HC AND OC and Rookie QB. I'm less than optimistic about my 5-7 win "guestimate".

I know there’s a lot of back and forth that goes on between CJ fans and skeptical Texans fans, but how patient will you guys actually be if the kid looks lost out there? At what point will even his biggest cheerleaders think it’s a good idea to sit him and let the vets take over?

Will being 0-6 at the Bye week be enough, or will y’all still to letting him finish out the season to get all the experience he possibly can?
You gotta give him time to adjust to the league, nail down the playbook and gel with his teammates.
As a rook, he will make mistakes and take time to develop but I hope he shows potential and starts to look good by the end of the season.

@steelbtexan

Win championships and the problem is that guys ahead of him are better than him, Mahomes, Allen,Hurts, Burrow, Herbert etc... and the guys behind him are going to be better Williams, Maye, Klubnik, Manning and I'm a Longhorn fan so I think Ewers has a chance to be better.

This doesn't mean that I'm rooting for Stroud to fail, but I want to hurry up and get the show on the road, so that if he does fail (which is doubtful) then they can move on. I see Stroud as having a Matt Ryan type future. A really good QB who wiltz in the face of pressure. At least that's been Strouds MO in college and I hope I'm wrong.

Back