Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Houston Texans @ Arizona Cardinals, 7:30 PM **Official GameDay Thread** Preseason Gam

At least it can only get better from here. I'm hoping that by the end of preseason that the Texans are playing like a pro team instead of the trash that was on display tonight. I was worried about the qb position before the game now I'm down right terrified.

Dont know why so many people are down, ALL i saw was some vanilla offense and defense. Hell i didnt even see a blitz until the 4th quarter. While on the other hand it seemed that Arizona was using their entire playbook.

It is pre season no need to panic people.

ALTHOUGH i will say Fitzmagic looked worse than i thought he would. Keenum looked way better in his short time he got to play.

I know and expect a vanilla playbook but I DONT expect all the stupid penalties, complete lack of discipline in the secondary, Fitz hitting pretty much nothing and our former 1st round pick Mercilus looking like he has given up

Am I turning 35 or 45 in December? I'd swear the Texans sucked this much 10 years ago. WOW!!! Obsi, I wish I'd taken your advice, but the train wreck factor has taken over. I can't look away, even if I want to.

Beyond guessing is there anything to confirm this? How hard is it to turn in an envelope? If that is all Smith does why is he the GM and not an errand boy. He seems to be the Teflon Don who deflects blame like a HOfer.

There will never be anything published or broadcast if that's what you're asking.

let me ask you this, wasn't it O'Brien's decision to go get Fitzpatrick?

I know and expect a vanilla playbook but I DONT expect all the stupid penalties, complete lack of discipline in the secondary, Fitz hitting pretty much nothing and our former 1st round pick Mercilus looking like he has given up

The 1st string secondary wasnt that bad really, only one who sucked was Harris who was playing for jojo. I did like the pressure the 1st string was applying on the QB though.

I'm just now watching the game, but Clowney is flashing. Didn't look good on that TD pass that was called back, but he's never covered before, either.

Not to be a downer, but clowney getting up the field and transition his pass rush to power is what he struggles at. He got upfield and couldnt turn speed to power. All his rushes where almost which doesnt count in the nfl.

The 1st string secondary wasnt that bad really, only one who sucked was Harris who was playing for jojo. I did like the pressure the 1st string was applying on the QB though.

I would like whatever you're smoking. The entire team was terrible. The secondary gave up two 3rd and 10+ on the first series alone.

Our QB situation is HORRIBLE. Coaching is suspect, GM and ownership are mehh. WR and RB positions are dicey.

what describes our upcoming season: false hope.

we suck

Our QB situation is HORRIBLE. Coaching is suspect, GM and ownership are mehh. WR and RB positions are dicey.

what describes our upcoming season: false hope.

we suck

RBs didn't look that bad. Certainly, as a position, they played better than the rest of the offense.

Not to be a downer, but clowney getting up the field and transition his pass rush to power is what he struggles at. He got upfield and couldnt turn speed to power. All his rushes where almost which doesnt count in the nfl.
Dude, you're looking small picture. Clowney flashed some good things. He can play in the NFL.

Ahhh some good news from tonight's game. The Texans had more total yards than penalty yards. 172 to 126!

There will never be anything published or broadcast if that's what you're asking.

let me ask you this, wasn't it O'Brien's decision to go get Fitzpatrick?

What are you basing it on then? To me the GM has significant decision making power. McNair publicly said that if there is a conflict in who to choose he tells the coach and GM to go to him to settle it.

O'Brien has a long list of failures to make before he is anywhere close to where Smith is on my Fired list.

This is what I don't get... How do you coach your players to avoid physicality? IN.THE.NFL. After watching the Falcons training camp, I'm cringing thinking of next week.

32-0 loss in our 2014 preseason opener.

It wouldn't mean much to me except we're coming off a 2-14 season, and I was hoping to see a determined team hungry to win and coming out with a new attitude.

I'm just glad this doesn't count as a 15th loss in a row.

This team has a lot of work to do before Week 1 against the Redskins. We may as well have our brains beat in the next three preseason games as well. Why not? Anything to light a fire into these players.

Better to play some lousy football in August. If we go 0-4 in the preseason and lose by an average score of 30 points per game it would mean more motivation to win once the season starts. Hopefully.

Okay. I can't sugarcoat tonight. It was beyond miserable. Horrendous performance.

vanilla game plan could not get even that right. Positives for me: Powe and David Hunter at NT, ILBs better over all than I expected, Watt of course, RB Grimes and Blue looked good but did not get their final stats and Lechler. At least Bullock did not miss.

Positional crap: Oline, QB, WR (probably exclude Thomas from this), corners and I would say safeties but I don't think we had any on field tonight.

Now we get to see how good our coaches are at "instructing and teaching".

A J.J. Watt sack for an 8-yard loss early in the game when he battered Carson Palmer in the back on an excellent pass rush. I could have turned the game off after that and called it a night. At least I would have been happy and not scratching my head and wasted my time for three hours.

Beyond guessing is there anything to confirm this? How hard is it to turn in an envelope? If that is all Smith does why is he the GM and not an errand boy. He seems to be the Teflon Don who deflects blame like a HOfer.

Let's make this perfectly clear, BOB MCNAIR IS THE GM, RICK SMITH IS MCNAIR'S ASSISTANT. O'BRIEN HAS FINAL SAY ON THE 53 MAN ROSTER UNLESS BOB"JERRY JONES" MCNAIR DECIDES HE WANTS TO MEDDLE.

vanilla game plan could not get even that right. Positives for me: Powe and David Hunter at NT, ILBs better over all than I expected, Watt of course, RB Grimes and Blue looked good but did not get their final stats and Lechler. At least Bullock did not miss.

Positional crap: Oline, QB, WR (probably exclude Thomas from this), corners and I would say safeties but I don't think we had any on field tonight.

Blue had 5 carries for 30 yards (6.0 average) and Grimes had 10 for 39 yards (3.9 average).

I think the suckiness of the QBs play made the WRs look like they sucked. Is it just me or does Fitz always stare down the man he is throwing to ? I saw it all game, it seemed like he never had a progression and just stared at who he planned to throw the ball to all game long.

I think the suckiness of the QBs play made the WRs look like they sucked. Is it just me or does Fitz always stare down the man he is throwing to ? I saw it all game, it seemed like he never had a progression and just stared at who he planned to throw the ball to all game long.

And this is new?

vanilla game plan could not get even that right. Positives for me: Powe and David Hunter at NT, ILBs better over all than I expected, Watt of course, RB Grimes (10 for 39)and Blue ( looked good and Lechler. At least Bullock did not miss.

Now we get to see how good our coaches are at "instructing and teaching". Team over all looked even worst than I expected.

:spin: am I getting anywhere yet?

Yeah, that guy is 2nd generation Packer front office man; good luck trying to get him to leave Green Bay...
Anyone else?

Bad News is I don't think that Bob "Jerry Jones" McNair will ever relinquish being the Texans GM. Another promising name: Eric DeCosta

Should we be worried about Jadeveon Clowney moving around a little slowly and gingerly? He seems to be about 65 % healthy coming off that sports hernia surgery. I don't see that burst or quickness that he had two years ago when he was the best defensive player in the country. I hope by Week 1 he'll be at least closer to 85 %. I know he's not going to be 100 % healthy with that type of injury anytime soon but he should move around a lot better than he did tonight.

Dude, you're looking small picture. Clowney flashed some good things. He can play in the NFL.

Whoever said he couldnt play in the nfl? Nobody ever said he couldnt play, its a matter of how good he can be. Even before the draft, I always thought he was better vs the run than rushing the passer. I still maintain that.

Folks need to calm down....we were missing virtually all our playmakers on offense and defense...and we were running vanilla everything.....and its preseason....the 1st preseason with a new coach and offense and defense.

Sure it was disappointing to see that performance after being so thirsty for texans football..but you gotta keep perspective here.

The only real thing to be concerned about is all the penalties...

Other than that we got a glimpse of how watt and clowney are going to work together and it looks like they're gonna raise some hell...

Also, Blue looks like a player...Buoye also looks like an upgrade over Harris as well.

folks need to calm down....we were missing virtually all our playmakers on offense and defense...and we were running vanilla everything.....and its preseason....the 1st preseason with a new coach and offense and defense.

Sure it was disappointing to see that performance after being so thirsty for texans football..but you gotta keep perspective here.

Other than that we got a glimpse of how watt and clowney are going to work together and it looks like they're gonna raise some hell...

Also, blue looks like a player...buoye also looks like an upgrade over harris as well.

word !!!

Whoever said he couldnt play in the nfl? Nobody ever said he couldnt play, its a matter of how good he can be. Even before the draft, I always thought he was better vs the run than rushing the passer. I still maintain that.
We expect Clowney to dominate as a #1 overall pick. He didn't look all that good tonight but that was to be expected. He hadn't played a live game in seven months since his bowl game with South Carolina. He also missed a lot of practice time since being drafted (following his surgery).

He really hasn't been fully healthy since two years ago when he dominated like I mentioned. He was the best player in the country at one time. He could become an All Pro in the NFL. The talent is not the issue. It's the health and the mentality he has. He has to have that Watt-like drive. I don't know if he'll ever have that. Keep your fingers crossed.

Should we be worried about Jadeveon Clowney moving around a little slowly and gingerly? He seems to be about 65 % healthy coming off that sports hernia surgery. I don't see that burst or quickness that he had two years ago when he was the best defensive player in the country. I hope by Week 1 he'll be at least closer to 85 %. I know he's not going to be 100 % healthy with that type of injury anytime soon but he should move around a lot better than he did tonight.

Biggest concern I saw tonight was how bad JD got beat in coverage. His lateral speed and change of direction were exposed by TE who beat JD badly for a TD that was called back.

Blue had 5 carries for 30 yards (6.0 average) and Grimes had 10 for 39 yards (3.9 average).
Yeah thanks my internet is Texans sucky tonight, finally able to locate stats and my first post froze and as you see posted twice. Blue also had 2 catches for 14.

Let's see...Pats put up 6 points, 49ers scored 3, and we scored 0. We're right there w the best teams in the league! :headbang::trophy:

Which would be great if we had a franchise coach.

This team took the largest step backwards of any team I
have ever seen in my life.

from 12-4 to scoreless in preseason in 2 years.
(and I believe we still have playoff level talent at multiple
positions..)

Look on the bright side. We get another chance to draft a franchise QB.

Biggest concern I saw tonight was how bad JD got beat in coverage. His lateral speed and change of direction were exposed by TE who beat JD badly for a TD that was called back.
That's true. But I think his pass coverage will look much better once he starts to test out that groin and really use his quickness. Right now he doesn't have any burst. This is not the same guy who struck fear into opposing offensive players two years ago when he was last healthy. At least Clowney looked good against the run during his brief time in the game. I'd like to see him really step it up in two weeks when he plays a lot more in the third preseason game at Denver. Maybe sack ole Peyton Manning once or twice. As well as an INT or pass deflection.

Folks need to calm down....we were missing virtually all our playmakers on offense and defense...and we were running vanilla everything.....and its preseason....the 1st preseason with a new coach and offense and defense.

Also, Blue looks like a player...Buoye also looks like an upgrade over Harris as well.
Nope not calming down preseason or not, I expect to see better play. Could not care about score but where was Mercilus? Where was Posey and Nuk; were they held out? I know Clemmons was on field but where after the snap? I did see a late safety blitz by Pleasanton that was sweet. When I order vanilla ice cream, I do not expect nuts and chocolate syrup or sprinkles but damn the Blue Bell better not be DQ softee.

If it were me, I'd have Obrien and RAC running laps at the next
practice -- what a mess this whole situation is..

(although that might be fatal to RAC given his shape..)

Anyone still not understanding why he has played quarterback for 5 different NFL teams? I fully understand it and know the answer. What I dont understand is why he is the starting quarterback now for the Houston Texans. What did these clowns expect! I have never seen a Houston Texans team play any worse than they did today.

Back