Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Houston Texans 2024 OTA’s and Mandatory Mini Camp

Does someone want to tell Kamari that locksmiths unlock things?

I get the sentiment and it was a good funny quip - and for the most part, we think of locksmiths as people you call when you lock your keys in your car... buuutttt....

The actual definition of a locksmith is someone who makes or repairs locks, so for the original use of the word it makes plenty of sense.

That would possibly be called PI in an actual game, depending on the crew calling it. The Texans got called for several PI's based on bad throws and the receiver running into the DB.
Very likely...............but what I noticed when I slowed the video down almost frame-to-frame is that he would have probably been called earlier for PI because he pushed the receiver when significantly past 5 yds beyond the LOS. :thinking:

Among the reasons for higher expectations in Houston this season are the additions of running back Joe Mixon and wide receiver Stefon Diggs to the offense, but...

Will Anderson Jr. believes after working with Laremy Tunsil this offseason, he's more prepared as a pass rusher.
Very excited to watch Anderson’s development. Between working with Hunter and Tunsil on the Texans he’s also seeked out Myles Garrett for assistance. He has the perfect mindset to be a great football player. A sponge who will look for every opportunity to gain an edge and improve.

Glad he’s on our team!

Possible super stars in 2024: Stroud, Hunter, Nico, Mixon, Tunsil, Tank, Diggs and Stinger. It can't be just because of Ryans that they keep egos in check. I think they will fit because they like each other and love football.

I'm hoping Stephon has a renewal with this young talent and less burden.

Very excited to watch Anderson’s development. Between working with Hunter and Tunsil on the Texans he’s also seeked out Myles Garrett for assistance. He has the perfect mindset to be a great football player. A sponge who will look for every opportunity to gain an edge and improve.

Glad he’s on our team!
I'm just glad Tunsil is still around for WA to learn from.

I'm just glad Tunsil is still around for WA to learn from.

What’s he going to learn? How to be an unmotivated stoner? Help with the gas mask fit? How to be as lazy as possible? How to go offsides in 10 different ways with flare? How not to be a leader? How to rip off a team and make them love it?

As far as I’m concerned, the further away from Tunsil the better.

What’s he going to learn? How to be an unmotivated stoner? Help with the gas mask fit? How to be as lazy as possible? How to go offsides in 10 different ways with flare? How not to be a leader? How to rip off a team and make them love it?

Are you sure you haven't been wearing the gas mask? I mean seriously...

He said he's learning from Tunsil. You know a top 5 LT in the NFL.

They see a guy who played through a serious knee injury that needed off-season surgery and held up well enough for the team to make the playoffs. He's a tough guy. Not everyone looks at pot smokers like you do.

Everyone knows of the Houston Texans' three-headed receiver threat, but DeMeco Ryans also has been pleased with John Metchie III & others.
Interesting DMR gave extra praise to Metchie, Wayne and Hutchinson but not Noah Brown.

I don't have any rumors to share, but I did hear that Noah Brown could get cut before the regular season starts.
I think it just depends on Noah Brown's preseason. I don't think they gave him three million guaranteed just to practice. I think he's shown us he has the ability if he is healthy.

I don't have any rumors to share, but I did hear that Noah Brown could get cut before the regular season starts.
NC did state recently that the Texans were going to move on from some players this year. That happens every year 🤷‍♂️ so to state it did give me the thought that he’s getting a more sure grip on his roster and he’s down to paring fingernails.

This is petty and low AF. Now what did Tunsil do to you?

I hereby sentence you to 6 months probation. You must also submit weekly urine samples and have a breathalyzer installed on your computer. Hop head!

Interesting DMR gave extra praise to Metchie, Wayne and Hutchinson but not Noah Brown.
Probably because those other guys are young up and comers while Noah Brown is the already proven vet.

I'm not expecting a ton of improvement or development from Brown, but those other three better improve or they won't be on the roster.

Also is Noah even participating yet? I thought he was one of the ones still recovering from surgery.

Probably because those other guys are young up and comers while Noah Brown is the already proven vet.

I'm not expecting a ton of improvement or development from Brown, but those other three better improve or they won't be on the roster.

Also is Noah even participating yet? I thought he was one of the ones still recovering from surgery.
Don't think he's participating.

Noah is very good when healthy. Problem is he's struggled to stay healthy.

He's a really good ST's guy so he's most likely going to make the team. Question is can Metchie beat him out for the WR4 position. It's a great position to be in when we're talking about the WR4 position in the off-season.

Brown had his best season as a WR last year and has improved every year as a player. Going from a back end of roster ST only player to a legitimate WR for playoff teams last two years.

Obviously health is a question mark, but assuming a healthy year… why wouldn’t you expect Brown to improve?

He's a really good ST's guy so he's most likely going to make the team. Question is can Metchie beat him out for the WR4 position. It's a great position to be in when we're talking about the WR4 position in the off-season.

My hope is Metchie gives us a reason to not worry about Diggs leaving next offseason. I want 100% Diggs this season. That’s the team’s best chance at winning this year. But I don’t want to tie up money long term for him. I want to rent him for a Super Bowl run this season.

I would much rather get a contract year Metchie into that three man rotation next season with Dell and Nico. But Metchie has to show he can be that guy this season. Otherwise the team is faced with sinking more $ and/or draft capital into the position to maximize the window.

Brown had his best season as a WR last year and has improved every year as a player. Going from a back end of roster ST only player to a legitimate WR for playoff teams last two years.

Obviously health is a question mark, but assuming a healthy year… why wouldn’t you expect Brown to improve?

Why are we expecting him to be more than what he has shown after 6 injury-plagued years in the pros after leaving college where he played one season because of injuries?

Last season he had 75% of his reception yards in three games. The season before in Dallas he played all but one game, but in 8 games had 20 yards or less.

I like Brown, but even without the injuries he is a WR4 at best who can step up occasionally. He's done nothing that says he can't be replaced by Metchie. I have much higher expectations of Metchie than I do of Brown.

I think I saw that Noah didn’t suit up at all…due to (wait for it) an injury. Shocking I know.

Noah is basically a somewhat less talented Will Fuller. If he has a healthy camp, I see him making the 53, possibly either 4th or 5th in the rotation, but will he play 17 or even 14? I seriously doubt it. He has back issues, and a lengthy injury history. Some guys are made of stone.

I remember Chris Chandler. We used to call him Chris Chandelier. If the guy was so much as touched by a pinky finger, he’d be out a month. His similar career path suggests he should be looking for an insurance job Sooner than later…but I hope like hell I’m wrong. Noah some some real talent, but you can’t make the club from the tub!

I think it will take a lot to move Noah Brown off of the roster.
If you can rack up 6 rec 152 yards and 1 td, then go 7 for 172 in back to back games there is a place for you on an NFL team.

Brown’s real value is as Nico’s replacement. There is not another WR on this roster who can do as good of a Nico impersonation. I want 17 games of high end production from that X WR spot. Hopefully it all comes from Nico. But if Brown gets a game or two in as well and the team is winning then that works too.

If you can rack up 6 rec 152 yards and 1 td, then go 7 for 172 in back to back games there is a place for you on an NFL team.

Brown’s real value is as Nico’s replacement. There is not another WR on this roster who can do as good of a Nico impersonation. I want 17 games of high end production from that X WR spot. Hopefully it all comes from Nico. But if Brown gets a game or two in as well and the team is winning then that works too.

In his career when he has made the field, he's averaged 50 yards a game. In his last season in Dallas he averaged 35 yards while starting 13 games. Take away the two big games this past season and he averaged 30 yards a game starting in 7 of the 10 games he played. You've fallen in love with the exception not the rule.

Special teams is also why I think WR #6 is going to be between Hutchinson and Skowronek and I really have to give Sko the benefit of the doubt there.

It also makes me wonder why they've kept Woods around so long because I just do not see how he wins a job unless there's some injuries. That said I do know he's one of those top end character guys so maybe he's also around as a sort of mentor to the other guys too.

It's not that I don't expect him to improve it's just more a "rate of improvement" if you will.

I expect players like Hutchinson, Metchie, and the other young receivers who are essentially going into year 2 to have the potential to make bigger jumps than a 28 year old vet going into year 7.

And I like Brown, I think he's receiver 5 at minimum and battling Metchie for receiver 4 in this depth chart. He's a great player, I just don't expect to hear the coach waxing lyrical about his improvements when there's year 2 young players who could make meteoric jumps.

I guess but he's also pretty much limited to just being slot cover at this point
Woods can do a lot of things. Backup WR that knows the playbook. Backup punt returner (who's the starting PR?). He also has $1.5 million in guaranteed salary. I don't know if any of that is enough to keep Woods on the roster. But it should be enough to get to the last cut.

Last edited:

Well hopefully Hutchinson can be that guy if we send Brown packing. He’s younger and much healthier than Brown.

In his career when he has made the field, he's averaged 50 yards a game. In his last season in Dallas he averaged 35 yards while starting 13 games. Take away the two big games this past season and he averaged 30 yards a game starting in 7 of the 10 games he played. You've fallen in love with the exception not the rule.
And yet the exception exists and you cannot ignore what he has done. Go ahead and explain to me why Nick signed him for 4 million dollars with 3 million guaranteed. I am directing this at anyone.

Special teams is also why I think WR #6 is going to be between Hutchinson and Skowronek and I really have to give Sko the benefit of the doubt there.

It also makes me wonder why they've kept Woods around so long because I just do not see how he wins a job unless there's some injuries. That said I do know he's one of those top end character guys so maybe he's also around as a sort of mentor to the other guys too.
Hey you do know this will be Woods 2nd year with the Texans. He might not make the cut either, therefore it’ll be only a year.

He’s challenging for a roster spot because he’s a veteran who could be a leader for the youngster.

Highly doubt he makes the 53 man roster this season.

The same reason why any company keeps personnel in leadership roles in management/supervisory positions... granted they still can perform and come through.
Woods is a veteran in the league. Not all the intangibles are performed on the field any given Sunday (...or Monday, or Thursday, or Friday, or Saturday...)

My hope is Metchie gives us a reason to not worry about Diggs leaving next offseason. I want 100% Diggs this season. That’s the team’s best chance at winning this year. But I don’t want to tie up money long term for him. I want to rent him for a Super Bowl run this season.

I would much rather get a contract year Metchie into that three man rotation next season with Dell and Nico. But Metchie has to show he can be that guy this season. Otherwise the team is faced with sinking more $ and/or draft capital into the position to maximize the window.
I want Metchie to succeed for no other reason that I like the guy.

Nicos replacement? But then I saw Noah is 6’2”. I always thought he was a 5’9” guy. I get you now.

They're keeping him around because of the connection he and Stroud have, leadership in the locker room and as a fall back option if injuries strike. I see Woods as a camp cut or traded if another team has injuries at the WR position.

Back