Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans 2017 3rd round pick, D'onta Foreman, RB, Texas

i for one have total confidence in our medical staff evaluating delontay foreman. intersting fact, hes related to george foreman by like the 5th degree so you know he has winners blood. all you naysayers believing you know more than the texans. there are only 32 nfl teams in the whole world. 32, so they must be doing something right.

Umm no, There's a HELLUVA lot more pro sports medicine jobs than just 32. That is rediculous. And that is without even bringing up the medical staffs of teams in the NCAA who also have team doctors with degrees.

i for one have total confidence in our medical staff evaluating delontay foreman. intersting fact, hes related to george foreman by like the 5th degree so you know he has winners blood. all you naysayers believing you know more than the texans. there are only 32 nfl teams in the whole world. 32, so they must be doing something right.
Did you forget to use :kitten: or :sarcasm:?

Last edited:
You might want to step back your thinking somewhat, as NFL team doctors (and medical institutions/hospitals) essentially campaign, bid and pay large amounts of monies to the team in order to be chosen and have their positions secured. These arrangements, as opposed to the public's perception, are not based on greatest expertise. The manner in which team doctors and the hospitals are selected are very bothersome, as they create a built in conflict of interest. The team has the inordinate power to adversely affect medical decisions. If the team doctor steps out of line, there is always another that is waiting to pay their way into the system.

You might want to step back your thinking somewhat, as NFL team doctors (and medical institutions/hospitals) essentially campaign, bid and pay large amounts of monies to the team in order to be chosen and have their positions secured. These arrangements, as opposed to the public's perception, are not based on greatest expertise. The manner in which team doctors and the hospitals are selected are very bothersome, as they create a built in conflict of interest. The team has the inordinate power to adversely affect medical decisions. If the team doctor steps out of line, there is always another that is waiting to pay their way into the system.

Yeah, didn't he watch the movie concussion.. Hell and plenty of other movies that also cover this subject? Football is the worst sport of all when it comes to pressuring doctors to get/keep players on the field.

Basketball and Baseball actually protect their players. My opinion is, because in those leagues they have guaranteed contracts and are actually fully invested in the player during the total length of their contract. Whereas the NFL will just run you into the grinder and then go find some more fresh meat..Especially at the running back position.

Also NFL players never want to come off the field, BECAUSE their contracts aren't guaranteed..they hide a lot of injuries as well... Then you have the ones that try to be Heroes like Watt (He was incredibly stupid) who just won't shut it down, that's where the Doctors and team should intervene and protect the player from the player.. EVERYONE (from owner on down to the equipment manager) was dumb as a bag of hammers allowing that to happen.

Last edited:
Wish the guy was a little smarter than this. He's got talent and he's stepping into an organization where Lamar Miller is the best we got. This is an opportunity and now would be a great time to step up and seize it.

Wish the guy was a little smarter than this. He's got talent and he's stepping into an organization where Lamar Miller is the best we got. This is an opportunity and now would be a great time to step up and seize it.
After reading this, I feel stronger about the hitch being on the part of the Texans, due to their wanting to have some assurances against his foot injury.

CBA 101: The Draft and Rookie Contracts
3rd to 7th round draftees, and Compensatory Selections

Later draftees are subject to a few different salary escalation rules. First off, their salaries tend to not escalate at the 25% rate, but rather at the Minimum Salary rate for their expected AS and League Year. They are also often tendered a Split Contract that pays different amounts depending on whether the player is on the Active/Inactive list, or on IR or the PUP list. As you might assume, they are paid less if they are not on the active roster. The final difference is that it is unlikely that a player will receive any guaranteed money beyond their signing bonus.

After reading this, I feel stronger about the hitch being on the part of the Texans, due to their wanting to have some assurances against his foot injury.

Which is confusing to me.

I could see a late round flyer, but why pick a guy in the third round where you have these kinds of concerns?

Which is confusing to me.

I could see a late round flyer, but why pick a guy in the third round where you have these kinds of concerns?

pssh....

usatsi_7760340.jpg

Relaaaaaaxxxxx.... I gots this.

I'm going to go out on a limb here... I don't think D'Onta is going to have the great vision we like to see from a RB. You know, where they can see lanes developing out of the corner of their eyes.

You're going to hell for that. I laughed. But you're still going to hell... :spit:

Texans rookie runner D'Onta Foreman learning 'how to be a pro'
June 17, 2017

The initiation of Texans rookie D'Onta Foreman into the fraternity of NFL running backs remains an ongoing process.

Foreman is absorbing knowledge about everything by watching his older colleagues, including veteran starter and Pro Bowl alternate runner Lamar Miller.

Now that the third-round draft pick from the University of Texas has completed minicamps and organized team activities, he's intent on putting that information to use when the Texans report for training camp in July at The Greenbrier Resort in West Virginia.

"It was great," Foreman said during a Tristar Productions autograph show at NRG Arena. "I just tried to get out there and work learn as much as I can and apply it on the field. Just how to be a pro, being around a lot of pros and watching they do. You learn from those guys. You try to fit in the best way you can, just trying to learn the playbook.

"I talk to Lamar. I learn a lot from him. He's more of a lead-by-example person. I just try to take the things away from him that I can apply on the field when I'm out there."

Listed at 6-0, 233 pounds after playing last season at 249 pounds, Foreman provides a mixture of power and speed. He led the nation with 2,048 rushing yards during his final season with the Longhorns before declaring early in the draft.

An unsigned draft pick, Foreman is still working to get into optimal shape. He'd like to drop a few pounds before training camp.

"That's one of the things I want to do is try to tighten up a little bit more and lose some more weight and try to go in there the best that I can," Foreman said. "It's going good. It's a lot of time to get out there and make sure we're doing extra running on weekends and off days. Every day we were off, I was in there running and getting extra conditioning in. I think it's going good."

A native of Texas City, Foreman ran the 40-yard dash in 4.45 seconds and had a 33-inch vertical leap at the Longhorns' Pro Day workout with New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick in attendance. He rushed for 15 touchdowns and averaged 184.4 rushing yards per game.

Now that he's in the NFL, Foreman is determined to make his rookie season count as he adjusts to professional football. He hasn't been surprised so far by what the NFL is like.

"Right now, I'm just really focused on making the team and getting out there and making sure I contribute," Foreman said. "I figured it would be like this. I'm very happy to be in Houston. It's wonderful for me and my family. I'm looking forward to the season."

************************************************************************************************************

When I first read about Foreman's 2016 weight when we drafted him, I thought that he would be our short yardage power back. A close friend pointed out to me that Foreman was NOT a power back, and was more of a finesse back..........BUT, in college he typically had huge holes to run through. With holes in the NFL usually looking more like a straw (especially if the OL performs no better than last year), he will be working much harder for those yards..........and will have ~20 less weight before his goal is attained, to take on defenders. I'm sure that a good part of the decision for losing weight is the problem he has encountered with his foot. The truth is, as things stand now, there are many unknown factors that can potentially negatively effect the player we drafted him to be. It would be nice if none of these come to be. Meanwhile, I will try to remain hopeful.

Last edited:
When I first read about Foreman's 2016 weight when we drafted him, I thought that he would be our short yardage power back. A close friend pointed out to me that Foreman was NOT a power back, and was more of a finesse back..........BUT, in college he typically had huge holes to run through. With holes in the NFL usually looking more like a straw (especially if the OL performs no better than last year), he will be working much harder for those yards..........and will have ~20 less weight before his goal is attained, to take on defenders. I'm sure that a good part of the decision for losing weight is the problem he has encountered with his foot. The truth is, as things stand now, there are many unknown factors that can potentially negatively effect the player we drafted him to be. It would be nice if none of these come to be. Meanwhile, I will try to remain hopeful.

Not sure what makes people think big is good for short yardage. The NFL evidence is almost entirely contrary. Emmitt Smith, Payton, Ladanion, Priest Holmes ... all TD record holding fantastic short yardage guys. All under 210 lbs.

Not sure what makes people think big is good for short yardage. The NFL evidence is almost entirely contrary. Emmitt Smith, Payton, Ladanion, Priest Holmes ... all TD record holding fantastic short yardage guys. All under 210 lbs.
To be fair, in that list, the only one that didn't have strong offensive lines to play behind was Payton.

[.
To be fair, in that list, the only one that didn't have strong offensive lines to play behind was Payton.

What no big backs have had good OLines?

And some of this is pure mythology. Emmitt got 2/3rds of his yards after contact. It's BS he was running thru open holes just rambling down the field.

Not sure what makes people think big is good for short yardage. The NFL evidence is almost entirely contrary. Emmitt Smith, Ladanion, Priest Holmes ... all TD record holding fantastic short yardage guys. All under 210 lbs.

What no big backs have had good OLines?

And some of this is pure mythology. Emmitt got 2/3rds of his yards after contact. It's BS he was running thru open holes just rambling down the field.
Did I say this? Ignoring the OL strength with RB performance, whether big or small back is ignoring an important factor. I agree that Smith was a great back who could definitely get yards on his own. But he had some of the top OL to help him out more than occasionally.

Emmitt was running through open holes, often. This doesn't necessarily have to take away from how much he contributed himself, which is to say a lot, but it's not some out of thin air myth either.

Reactions: JB
Emmitt was running through open holes, often. This doesn't necessarily have to take away from how much he contributed himself, which is to say a lot, but it's not some out of thin air myth either.

Yeah actually it is. Smith had freakish balance, a quick half step to minimize contact and a right arm (almost always carried the ball with his left) to deflect tackles. Lots of RBs have had good/great Olines. Few, almost none, were as good as Emmitt. He wasn't some speed back not getting touched. That's the myth part that he was running unobstructed and that is total BS.

But back to the point. Historically "small" backs have been short yardage/TD machines, not big backs. It's vision.

Yeah actually it is. Smith had freakish balance, a quick half step to minimize contact and a right arm (almost always carried the ball with his left) to deflect tackles. Lots of RBs have had good/great Olines. Few, almost none, were as good as Emmitt. He wasn't some speed back not getting touched. That's the myth part that he was running unobstructed and that is total BS.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that he always ran unobstructed.
But it seems like you're minimizing the fact that he ran behind one of the best offensive lines in the history of the game.

I'm sure you don't dispute that they were, in fact, a historically great OL?

Did the part where I gave Smith his completely fair credit show up on your screen, or was that just left hanging on my end?

Did the part where I gave Smith his completely fair credit show up on your screen, or was that just left hanging on my end?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that he always ran unobstructed.
But it seems like you're minimizing the fact that he ran behind one of the best offensive lines in the history of the game.

I'm sure you don't dispute that they were, in fact, a historically great OL?

They were a great OL. Hudson Houck is a master of OLines on par with Gibbs. They were a bit more pass pro - gave up less than 200 sacks in a decade.

I just feel like people minimize Smith and he was a fantastic hard RB. Much harder than Sanders. For the record, Jim Brown is my favorite but Emmitt and Walter are right behind.

Emmitt's hero was Walter. This sounds a little jacked but Emmitt tried to break Walter's single game record with him in attendance. But he got injured. Was on pace to do it.

Gutsiest performance I've ever seen was Smith rushing 32 times and catching 10 balls in the huddle demanding the ball with a separated shoulder - Giants game.

That's not a RB who got his yards because he had a good OL. He was just good - that's my point.

No one here's said he wasn't good. Or very good, in fact. No one here tried remotely to marginalize his effort or ability. All the same he did benefit often by getting to and through a welcoming hole, paved way by one of the very best olines in history, before putting that considerable effort and ability to good use and rushing his ass off.

Anyone trying to deny or avoid the latter part of that as an actual thing is no less in error than anyone who would deny Emmitt the former. He was a very, very good rb who kinda lucked the f*ck out too. No insult whatsoever for an absolutely deserving hall of famer.

All with excellent vision and decent OL's. Foster wasnt a terrible TD maker either

Denver
Foster had great vision. I really hate that nobody since him plants a foot and cuts. Not sure if that's coaching.
Yes it was the coaching because in Kubiacks Denver zone blocking system which is what Foster broke into the league under Kubiack schooled his backs to run that way while he also emphatically discouraged his backs from using the shake 'n bake approach of running. One cut and go after crossing the los was the mantra !

Denver
Yes it was the coaching because in Kubiacks Denver zone blocking system which is what Foster broke into the league under Kubiack schooled his backs to run that way while he also emphatically discouraged his backs from using the shake 'n bake approach of running. One cut and go after crossing the los was the mantra !
Not totally disputing your point
but
being shown what to do and having the talent/skills to do it at a high level are two different things.
Foster had the talent to make that skill work.

Not totally disputing your point
but
being shown what to do and having the talent/skills to do it at a high level are two different things.
Foster had the talent to make that skill work.
I think the system, popularized in the 90s by the great offensive line coach Alex Gibbs, was more instrumental to Fosters success than any innate skills Foster may have had as a running back . Afterall Gibbs's system put 6th round Draft pick Terrell Davis into the Hall of Fame in Canton.

Denver

Really the ZBS is GOAT Alex Gibbs scheme and was allowed to be implemented by Shanny.

Is this really where the Texans see his role?

*****************************************************************************************

D’Onta Foreman to handle goal line carries for Texans?
2 days ago

Will D’Onta Foreman have a big role for the Houston Texans?
As good as Lamar Miller was during his first season with the Houston Texans in 2016, it was obvious that he needed some help in the backfield.

The Texans made sure they upgraded their backfield this offseason after drafting running back D’Onta Foreman in the third round out of the University of Texas.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle believes that Foreman will likely be the Texans’ short yardage and goal line back during his rookie season.

“I think Foreman will get the ball if they’re inside the five yard line,” said McClain. “And I also think he’ll get a chance he the short yardage and goal line. Lamar Miller needs to stay healthy. Because if he doesn’t and Foreman plays the way a lot of people think he will, we’re going to have to ask Lamar. Do you know who Wally Pipp was?”

Back