Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans 2017 3rd round pick, D'onta Foreman, RB, Texas

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Wouldn't be surprised if Smith extended Foreman in the offseason.
I can't wait to hear from CnD about whether the decision to let Foreman's broken foot heal naturally instead of surgery had anything to do with the achillies injury.

Best of luck to Foreman in his recovery. Anything Achilles related sucks to deal with both pre and post surgery. Having had minor surgery done on my Achilles, I wouldn't want that on my worst enemy. Obviously he'll get the best treatment and rehab available but it took me a good 18-24 months before the soreness went away. Still hurts every now and again today and that was 7 years ago.

MasterCush

Practice Squad
i blame the turf for the injuries. Turf is unnatural. The NFL should require grass fields and they should be consistent no matter what the cost. They have the money. Anything short of that is bull crap. This is what happens when the home team plays on turf all the time.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
New
Houston Texans running back D'Onta Foreman is not expected to be ready for the start of training in camp.

In fact, the Houston Chronicle reported that Foreman may not be recovered from a torn Achilles in time for Week 1 and could open the season on the physically unable to perform list.

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL...oreman-potential-PUP-candidate/4941524325320/

Three weeks ago:

Texans head coach Bill O'Brien said Tuesday that he thinks Foreman (Achilles) will be ready for training camp, John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...ns-donta-foreman-could-be-ready-for-camp/amp/

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
New
Houston Texans running back D'Onta Foreman is not expected to be ready for the start of training in camp.

In fact, the Houston Chronicle reported that Foreman may not be recovered from a torn Achilles in time for Week 1 and could open the season on the physically unable to perform list.

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL...oreman-potential-PUP-candidate/4941524325320/

Three weeks ago:

Texans head coach Bill O'Brien said Tuesday that he thinks Foreman (Achilles) will be ready for training camp, John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...ns-donta-foreman-could-be-ready-for-camp/amp/

Might need to move RB up on the draft list.

:coffee:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Reactions: JB

mussop

Hall of Fame
Hate to say it but on the bright side this is a very deep RB class. I hope one of tHe top guys fall to us. And there are so many good third down backs as well. Hope we at least pick one Or two of those up as UDFAs.

Last edited:

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
What Do You Expect From D’Onta Foreman In 2018?
He’s coming off a torn Achilles, so expectations less than a year later should be tempered.
D’Onta Foreman, in the midst of an encouraging rookie campaign, tore his Achilles on November 19, 2017 during the Texans’ victory over the Arizona Cardinals. That’s a devastating injury for anyone, especially a professional athlete. You’ve no doubt heard and read countless stories about how tough the road back is from a torn Achilles, complete with speculation that Foreman, like many other athletes who came before him, won’t be the same player he was before the injury.

The Texans, however, at least publicly, are optimistic. Aaron Wilson reports that the team is actually hopeful that Foreman “...will make a full recovery before the start of the regular season.”

Far be it for me to doubt Foreman’s work ethic or desire to get back on the field, but that seems nuts to me. It’s been less than six months since Foreman tore his Achilles. The regular season is about three months away. Is it reasonable to think Foreman can make a “full recovery” in less than nine months? Is it even reasonable to expect him to contribute to the Texans in 2018?

Given the timing of his injury—November of 2017—I don’t expect D’Onta Foreman to be a factor in Houston’s offense until the 2019 season at the earliest. Am I being overly pessimistic?
https://www.battleredblog.com/2018/6/8/17442092/what-do-you-expect-from-donta-foreman-in-2018

badboy

Hall of Fame
any truth to rumor I'm starting that Miller damaged Foreman's achilles? sarcasm. I hope Miller is used differently than he has been but see nothing to support my hope.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
What Do You Expect From D’Onta Foreman In 2018?
He’s coming off a torn Achilles, so expectations less than a year later should be tempered.
D’Onta Foreman, in the midst of an encouraging rookie campaign, tore his Achilles on November 19, 2017 during the Texans’ victory over the Arizona Cardinals. That’s a devastating injury for anyone, especially a professional athlete. You’ve no doubt heard and read countless stories about how tough the road back is from a torn Achilles, complete with speculation that Foreman, like many other athletes who came before him, won’t be the same player he was before the injury.

The Texans, however, at least publicly, are optimistic. Aaron Wilson reports that the team is actually hopeful that Foreman “...will make a full recovery before the start of the regular season.”

Far be it for me to doubt Foreman’s work ethic or desire to get back on the field, but that seems nuts to me. It’s been less than six months since Foreman tore his Achilles. The regular season is about three months away. Is it reasonable to think Foreman can make a “full recovery” in less than nine months? Is it even reasonable to expect him to contribute to the Texans in 2018?

Given the timing of his injury—November of 2017—I don’t expect D’Onta Foreman to be a factor in Houston’s offense until the 2019 season at the earliest. Am I being overly pessimistic?
https://www.battleredblog.com/2018/6/8/17442092/what-do-you-expect-from-donta-foreman-in-2018
Appreciate the story. I was wondering when we would get some Foreman updates. Personally, I'd go ahead and sign Adrian Peterson to a 1 year deal for a few reasons:

1. At this point I think his expectations "money wise" have come way down if he's serious about playing this season. The Texans could offer him an incentive based contract and probably get his name on the dotted line and into a Texans uniform.

2. He has expressed a true desire to play for the Texans...which to me, means the team will get his absolute best of what he has left in the tank.

3. His mentorship to the RB's should be invaluable.

4. Foreman likes the idea of having Peterson on the sideline and also feels like he would have a lot to offer the RB's.

5. With Peterson, the Texans could smartly IR Foreman for 2018 and give him the proper time to rehab his injury without rushing him back on the field.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

Why do people still want old, washed-up players on the Texans? Haven't we done enough of that in the past?
First, you get him to camp and then you discern if he is washed up or can bring something to the table. If he didn't keep himself in such great physical condition, it would be easy to laugh off his desire to play. Guy is only 33 years old....not like a 43 year old player wanting another shot.

OptimisticTexan

Peterson had:

2015 MINN (Last Full Season): 1,485 YDS / 11 TD / 4.5 YPC / 36 TGT / 30 REC / 222 YDS / 7.9 AVG. Played in 16 games

2016 MINN: (Primarily IR) Viking did not exercise Peterson's option and he became a FA. Played in 2 games.

2017 NO: With the emergence of Ingram and Kamara, there just wasn't any carries for Peterson. Peterson knew this as well. He was traded to Arizona for a RD6 pick. Played in 4 games.

2017 AZ: Had a couple of big games for the Cardinals which showed he still had something in the tank. Cards didn't have a QB to off-set the running game. He still finished 2017 with: 529 YDS / 2 TD / 3.4 YPC / 19 TGT / 11 REC / 70 YDS / 6.4 AVG. Peterson was released March 2018. Played in 6 games.

After his last productive season...Peterson has only played 12 games over the past 2 seasons. That's mileage reduction. Last season he was coming off the injury in 2016. Like I stated, get Peterson here on a 1 year deal with nice incentives and I think he will be playing the season with something to prove. Texans could probably land him for 1-1.5M guaranteed plus incentives.

Scooter

Funky
He was a monster of a talent and probably still has tread on the tires. Does he fit what we're trying to do? Can he block for our priority piece at QB? Can he split wide? I don't want to disparage AP at all, I think he can still be a very dangerous runningback ... for someone else. Exactly the same as Dez (minus some of the personality), he doesn't have a role on this team and isn't the 25 year old phenom that you create a role for. Old and entitled aren't favorable qualities.

If he wants to come here for dirt cheap, absolutely - let's see if magic happens. If he's asking for a real salary ... no can do.

Last edited:
I would sign Peterson if any of the current backs go down. I didn't realize that Lavon Coleman from Washington is 230. He could fill in as that big back until Foreman is ready to go.

OptimisticTexan

I would sign Peterson if any of the current backs go down. I didn't realize that Lavon Coleman from Washington is 230. He could fill in as that big back until Foreman is ready to go.
I don't think Foreman should be rushed back this season. As someone mentioned, it's only been 6 months since he sustained his injury. This guy has a chance to be a special RB and getting him back to soon is no good. If it took him a year to fully recover, that would put him coming back in Nov-Dec. Then he has to get in football shape, which doesn't make him that valuable that late in the season. Sign a veteran and let Foreman really get healthy and stronger so he has the best opportunity to bounce back for 2019.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Peterson is best used on a power running team. I get the feeling OB will finally stop pounding Miller up the middle and use him more aligned with his skillset.

The Saints running game took off last season when they stopped sprinkling in Peterson abd tipping their hand prior to the play with his presence. Cardinals needed a work horse like Peterson because they had nothing else but it wasn’t enough because they “had nothing else”.

He’d look really good on the Cowboys as Zeke insurance.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Peterson had:

2015 MINN (Last Full Season): 1,485 YDS / 11 TD / 4.5 YPC / 36 TGT / 30 REC / 222 YDS / 7.9 AVG. Played in 16 games

2016 MINN: (Primarily IR) Viking did not exercise Peterson's option and he became a FA. Played in 2 games.

2017 NO: With the emergence of Ingram and Kamara, there just wasn't any carries for Peterson. Peterson knew this as well. He was traded to Arizona for a RD6 pick. Played in 4 games.

2017 AZ: Had a couple of big games for the Cardinals which showed he still had something in the tank. Cards didn't have a QB to off-set the running game. He still finished 2017 with: 529 YDS / 2 TD / 3.4 YPC / 19 TGT / 11 REC / 70 YDS / 6.4 AVG. Peterson was released March 2018. Played in 6 games.

After his last productive season...Peterson has only played 12 games over the past 2 seasons. That's mileage reduction. Last season he was coming off the injury in 2016. Like I stated, get Peterson here on a 1 year deal with nice incentives and I think he will be playing the season with something to prove. Texans could probably land him for 1-1.5M guaranteed plus incentives.
If AP (and I loved him in his prime) had something to offer, why didn't AZ keep him? Was it his salary or the fact that he - at his age - ended the season on IR with a neck injury??
Some of both??

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
If AP (and I loved him in his prime) had something to offer, why didn't AZ keep him? Was it his salary or the fact that he - at his age - ended the season on IR with a neck injury??
Some of both??
The tendency is to forget about Peterson's knee injuries/surgeries. In 2011, he suffered that famous quickly-rehabbed right ACL injury. What is very important to understand is that during that same injury, he sustained a right lateral meniscus tear...........a 90% meniscus tear, which was repaired. He evidently bounced back very well from those injuries. However, the 90% meniscus tear by several studies would be expected to break down significantly by 5 years post repair. Then in 2016, he missed all but 3 games after sustaining a severe medial meniscus and lateral collateral ligament tear the same collateral ligament he tore the end of 2007) of his left knee suffered at the beginning of the season. The meniscus was treated this time with excision. He was designated to return and did so mid Dec...........for 1 game..........during which he suffered a re-injury to his knee and a groin tear (having already undergone sport hernia surgery on both sides, one in 2012, and the other in 2013), putting him out the rest of the season. He came back in 2017 to gain less than 3.5 yd/carry. His pile driver neck injury only put a dagger into a lackluster year. And this is not even to mention the multiple low and high ankle sprains and hamstring tears he has accumulated along the way.

Just some things to think about as to why teams are not breaking down his door to sign.

Last edited:

edo783

Hall of Fame
Sounds like his body is falling a part on him. I wonder if at some point of another if he was hitting the needle? This falling apart thing happens to the guys who juice. Might have been in college and just finally caught up with him. Lord knows he put plenty of wear and tear on his body.

Texansballer74

The Marine
The tendency is to forget about Peterson's knee injuries/surgeries. In 2011, he suffered that famous quickly-rehabbed right ACL injury. What is very important to understand is that during that same injury, he sustained a right lateral meniscus tear...........a 90% meniscus tear, which was repaired. He evidently bounced back very well from those injuries. However, the 90% meniscus tear by several studies would be expected to break down significantly by 5 years post repair. Then in 2016, he missed all but 3 games after sustaining a severe medial meniscus and lateral collateral ligament tear of his left knee suffered at the beginning of the season. The meniscus was treated this time with excision. He was designated to return and did so mid Dec...........for 1 game..........during which he suffered a re-injury to his knee and a groin tear (having already undergone sport hernia surgery the end of 2013), putting him out the rest of the season. He came back in 2017 to gain less than 3.5 yd/carry. His pile driver neck injury only put a dagger into a lackluster year.

Just some things to think about as to why teams are not breaking down his door to sign.

I don't think that's the reason why teams are staying away from him. It's more about his demands. He will won't starter minutes. And you can best believe these teams want to go with their younger players. You bring in AP, and he's taking minutes from those type of guys.

Someone will sign him once these youngsters start dropping due to injuries.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
2017 AZ: Had a couple of big games for the Cardinals which showed he still had something in the tank. Cards didn't have a QB to off-set the running game. He still finished 2017 with: 529 YDS / 2 TD / 3.4 YPC / 19 TGT / 11 REC / 70 YDS / 6.4 AVG. Played in 6 games.
Even in a terrible situation, those are just poor NFL numbers. If we did not know the name, Adrain Peterson, this would not even discussion worthy. Another the name is better than the current football player.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Even with an injured Foreman, AP is a hard pass for me. Mediocre blocker, suspect hands, great runner, child abuser, and the end of his career. I'd rather try my luck with an UDFA looking for lightning in a bottle.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Sounds like his body is falling a part on him. I wonder if at some point of another if he was hitting the needle? This falling apart thing happens to the guys who juice. Might have been in college and just finally caught up with him. Lord knows he put plenty of wear and tear on his body.
Steroids? Why would you even think that? Dudes been one of the most physical players in history playing the most physical position for a decade. The last I checked, the life span of a pro RB was 2.5 years. That’s why his body is falling apart. Not steroids.

zshawn10

All Pro
Ethan Turner‏@ETurnerFF_PT
A lot of conversation on D'onta Foreman this weekend prompted a little "most-recent" evidence search this morning. Came across a few studies I hadn't seen previously. Gonna share some knowledge on Achilles Injuries, thread incoming.

https://twitter.com/ETurnerFF_PT/status/1006258526702964736

The thread and the replies to it will help understanding the injury and comeback rates for this kind of injury