Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans 2017 3rd round pick, D'onta Foreman, RB, Texas

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
What impresses me in the highlights is that despite being powerful he seems to have vision to run into space and it's his vision as much as his power that allows him to break arm tackles.

I don't much care about his highlights. I want to mention his heart. With a broken heart after the loss of his infant child, this man played the season. Didn't mention it, didn't make any excuses, just played football. Maybe it was his escape. Maybe it was his way of coping. Regardless I'm pulling for his this year. He's my adopted Texan for this upcoming.

I don't get this. Foreman is a talent, sure. Still, Houston is where quality half-back don't see playing time, yet we sprint out a scrub like Tyler Ervin, and a half-baked guy like Blue.

Grimes is probably the most under-utilized back in the league. It's a crying shame really.

Then the Texans wasted picks like Kenny Hilliard and the aforementioned Ervin.

Then you have a guy like Hunt who needs to be out there playing, too, because he's got magic.

The only thing I can think of is that Blue gets cuts, they'll wear down Lamar Miller, nobody will touch Hilliard on our practice squad, so we'll be left with Miller for a couple of years, Hunt, Grimes and now Foreman.

The kid from San Jose State should go to the practice squad.

This is just a weird way the Texans draft RBs, and then how they handle them afterwards.

I'm with you on Hunt and Grimes.

I think Blue and Hunt get cut or traded and we carry 4 backs, Miller, Foreman, Grimes and Ervin.

I don't much care about his highlights. I want to mention his heart. With a broken heart after the loss of his infant child, this man played the season. Didn't mention it, didn't make any excuses, just played football. Maybe it was his escape. Maybe it was his way of coping. Regardless I'm pulling for his this year. He's my adopted Texan for this upcoming.

Damn it, I just saw that video and was coming here to post something similar.. As someone who was born 2 1/2 months premature back in the early 80's (survival rates weren't very high back then) and also named after my father.. this really touched me. It put things in perspective and made me think what my parents must've been going through, I couldn't imagine. I really hope he has as much success as he can on and off the field.. I'm going to adopt him too.

It's sad.. if only his boy didn't develop that infection,.. There's literally no immune system at that fragile state. I remember my mom telling me when she was finally allowed to bring me home after months in the hospital, she still wouldn't let anybody hold me, because she was scared I was going to get sick.

I'm really rooting for this guy

What impresses me in the highlights is that despite being powerful he seems to have vision to run into space and it's his vision as much as his power that allows him to break arm tackles.
His speed to the outside is really good as well.
He has "football speed" and out-runs people in pads.
This man is an everyday down back. He can do it all.

Run between the tackles or take it outside as well.
We can split carries between Lamar Miller and D'Onta Foreman.

I love that he's excited about playing with the Houston Texans.
He's from Texas City as well. He's a blue-collar Texan just like us.

Super excited about our future backfield for many years to come.
Deshaun Watson and D'Onta Foreman are some heavy hitters.
Big time players. I don't know how we got this lucky guys.
Just like the Cowboys ended up with Elliot and Dak last year.

I'm ok with this pick. This guy looks like a hammer but the OL really needs an upgrade too. Hopefully we can address that issue or foreman will he hit behind the line like miller often did.

The knock on him is he needs to do a better job running behind his pads and be more physical and at the next level and he will, but the kid really only started one season.. But honestly I'd rather have this kid at the bottom of the 3rd round with 207 less touches than have Leonard fournette with the 4th ovrl pick in the draft, the Jags are dumbasses. Adrian Peterson wasn't even drafted that high.

I think this guy is just scratching the surface of what he can be, He just needs to keep his weight in check. 249 pounds is way too heavy for him.

Love seeing Earl in that video.

Last edited:
I did not see this pick coming. Do we believe the presser, where Smith and OB say he was the BPA on their board, or read into that the Texans realized why Miller wasn't the featured back in Miami?

Why would they admit that?.. the guy had over a 1,000 yards rushing at 4 ypc behind a subpar line (being kind) and a QB who couldn't throw the ball and force defenders out of the box. Miller was literally about the only offensive threat we had last season.

Compare the production that he had here on one of the worst offenses ever to make the playoffs against what he did in Miami.. He didn't slip that much, we just didn't give him space, literally. I would've rather used him more in the passing game. Playcalling was horrible.. QB play was even worse.

Last edited:
Why would they admit that?.. the guy had over a 1,000 yards rushing at 4 ypc behind a subpar line (being kind) and a QB who couldn't throw the ball and force defenders out of the box. Miller was literally about the only offensive threat we had last season
That's the only way I can justify picking a RB when the team already has 5 on the roster and there are glaring holes on the O, LB (even though they did great getting Cunningham) and S. I don't hate the pick, it's just that there are bigger needs and players, at those positions of need, that were there for the taking.

I wonder if the inattention to the OL shows the team's confidence in DQ making a full recovery and playing at a high level and Jeff Allen playing better once his busted wheel heals.

I don't get this. Foreman is a talent, sure. Still, Houston is where quality half-back don't see playing time, yet we sprint out a scrub like Tyler Ervin, and a half-baked guy like Blue.

Grimes is probably the most under-utilized back in the league. It's a crying shame really.

Then the Texans wasted picks like Kenny Hilliard and the aforementioned Ervin.

Then you have a guy like Hunt who needs to be out there playing, too, because he's got magic.

The only thing I can think of is that Blue gets cuts, they'll wear down Lamar Miller, nobody will touch Hilliard on our practice squad, so we'll be left with Miller for a couple of years, Hunt, Grimes and now Foreman.

The kid from San Jose State should go to the practice squad.

This is just a weird way the Texans draft RBs, and then how they handle them afterwards.

So because draft picks get preferential treatment at RB that means Foreman will get every opportunity since he was drafted higher than Ervin, Blue, and Hilliard!

That's the only way I can justify picking a RB when the team already has 5 on the roster and there are glaring holes on the O, LB (even though they did great getting Cunningham) and S. I don't hate the pick, it's just that there are bigger needs and players, at those positions of need, that were there for the taking.

I wonder if the inattention to the OL shows the team's confidence in DQ making a full recovery and playing at a high level and Jeff Allen playing better once his busted wheel heals.

He was the Doak Walker Award winner.. and it doesn't really matter if we have 5 on the roster..we're not really 5 deep. There's a TON of dead weight on that backend.

This is not a good tackle draft.. the next tackle taken is not going to be that much better than the other few taken behind him, plus there was a run on DBs before the Foreman pick..

Honestly in all my years of watching the draft, this might be the worst Tackle draft I've ever seen..I don't even remember seeing a run on tackles and the first one didn't come off the board until the bottom of the first round, usually you'll have one go top 5.

To me the drafting of Foreman doesn't say anything about Miller.. It just tells me that there was nobody that separated themselves from the available position group heard who's worth letting Foreman slip further. BPA.

I still think we'll find a S/CB That's one thing R. Smith IS actually good at finding and this draft is deep at safety.. but I've pretty much washed my hands of the offensive lineman in this draft as a whole. I know we'll draft some, but holy hell what a shitty draft for offensive lineman.

He was the Doak Walker Award winner.. This is not a good tackle draft.. the next tackle taken is not going to be that much better than the other few taken behind him, plus there was a run on DBs before the Foreman pick..

Honestly in all my years of watching the draft, this might be the worst Tackle draft I've ever seen..I don't even remember seeing a run on tackles and the first one didn't come off the board until the bottom of the first round, usually you'll have one go top 5.

To me the drafting of Foreman doesn't say anything about Miller.. It just tells me that there was nobody that separated themselves from the available position group heard who's worth letting Foreman slip further. BPA.

I still think we'll find a S/CB That's one thing R. Smith IS actually good at finding and this draft is deep at safety.. but I've pretty much washed my hands of the offensive lineman in this draft as a whole. I know we'll draft some, but holy hell what a shitty draft for offensive lineman.
Shitty OL play would actually be an upgrade to what we saw from Clarke and Allen last season. Allen played injured the whole season, so there's hope there, but Clarke was just gawd awful.

He was the Doak Walker Award winner.. and it doesn't really matter if we have 5 on the roster..we're not really 5 deep. There's a TON of dead weight on that backend.

This is not a good tackle draft.. the next tackle taken is not going to be that much better than the other few taken behind him, plus there was a run on DBs before the Foreman pick..

I'm holding out hope we luck out like the Bears did last offseason when pro bowl guard Josh Sitton was released by the Packers a week before the season started.

How's Lane Johnson's relationship with the Eagles FO doing... :)

Favorite thing about Foreman is that he is entirely self made. Nobody wanted him out of high school. His twin brother was a 4 star WR that everybody recruited. The only reason he got a Texas offer was that Mack Brown wanted his brother so badly he was willing to waste a second scholarship on D'Onta to lock up Armanti.

Nobody thought Foreman would ever do anything at Texas. He used that as fuel and worked harder than every player in the program every day for three years.

Now that the chip on his shoulder has paid off we need to make sure it stays there. His athleticism is sensational but it's his work ethic that makes him special. If he becomes complacent then he'll just be another back. But if he stays relentless he will be a special player.

The coaches will love him. He'll never be late. He'll never be outworked. He'll never do or say anything stupid outside the building. He's the perfect teammate.

Favorite thing about Foreman is that he is entirely self made. Nobody wanted him out of high school. His twin brother was a 4 star WR that everybody recruited. The only reason he got a Texas offer was that Mack Brown wanted his brother so badly he was willing to waste a second scholarship on D'Onta to lock up Armanti.

Nobody thought Foreman would ever do anything at Texas. He used that as fuel and worked harder than every player in the program every day for three years.

Now that the chip on his shoulder has paid off we need to make sure it stays there. His athleticism is sensational but it's his work ethic that makes him special. If he becomes complacent then he'll just be another back. But if he stays relentless he will be a special player.

The coaches will love him. He'll never be late. He'll never be outworked. He'll never do or say anything stupid outside the building. He's the perfect teammate.

I'll add that he's a stud RB. Other than Cook he's my favorite RB in this draft. I like that they added a QB/RB duo that can grow together in this draft and that Hopkins already has a connection with Watson.

With that said if they don't fix the OL it wont matter. It's just like when they draft their last young QB. Spend a fortune in draft capital to get Carr then don't spend any draft capital to protect him. It's like they never learn.

Shitty OL play would actually be an upgrade to what we saw from Clarke and Allen last season. Allen played injured the whole season, so there's hope there, but Clarke was just gawd awful.

Yep. don't fix the OL, get your young QB gun shy and beat up. The offense stinks so lets fire the HC/OC. Sounds like the plan to me.

I'll add that he's a stud RB. Other than Cook he's my favorite RB in this draft. I like that they added a QB/RB duo that can grow together in this draft and that Hopkins already has a connection with Watson.

With that said if they don't fix the OL it wont matter. It's just like when they draft their last young QB. Spend a fortune in draft capital to get Carr then don't spend any draft capital to protect him. It's like they never learn.
I'm still not sold on Brown returning to pro bowl form and the Texans have nothing at RT.

I mocked Antonio Garcia at 89 and he got very close. Never thought Watson or Cunningham would be avail. Didnt expect Smith trade up. Dont'e great but again didn't expect him to be selected. Now go get Davenport. Also like Sharpe RT. So far A +

Really like Foreman. He's the downhill pounder we really lacked last year and he's extremely athletic for a guy with that skill set. Only 2 issues...

1) Fumbles. He really needs to be more consistent tucking that ball away or he will be in O'Brien's doghouse quick.

2) Needs to run behind his pads more consistently. He runs high sometimes and that negates a lot of his natural power.

Foreman coming to the Texans pro day really impressed Rick and BOB it seems.

Also in BOBs three seasons here, only Seattle has run the ball more than the Texans

I agree with you on the OL, but it could be that at the time they picked, an O lineman would have been a reach, and they went with BPA, and that's how it should be. I happy with the picks, and I'll be surprised if they don't grab a couple of OL today.

Regarding Foreman, I like him a lot for short yardage situations, but he's awful in pass protection and he easily coughs it up. I hope he likes the decor in O'Brien's doghouse, because he'll be occupying it a lot.

Just looking at D'Onta Foreman's body composition and running style reminds me of Maurice Jones-Drew. I loved watching MJD play except when he played against us. I don't think it will take much to have this kid turn into a wrecking ball. Seems an offensive overhaul is still in action. I'm okay with that.

Why are people acting like our OL is the 2002 Texans. We have a 2nd round pick from last season entering the fold. XSF has gotten a little better every season and is entering a contract year (will want to prove he deserves a new deal). Gonna be hard to be as banged up on the OL as we were last season as well when we performed league average despite being banged up and having Os and his slow release at QB.

Why are people acting like our OL is the 2002 Texans. We have a 2nd round pick from last season entering the fold. XSF has gotten a little better every season and is entering a contract year (will want to prove he deserves a new deal). Gonna be hard to be as banged up on the OL as we were last season as well when we performed league average despite being banged up and having Os and his slow release at QB.

Feel good pick but doesn't help the team in the immediate future. Should have selected the best OL available at this slot which most likely would have netted a starter. Foreman won't start and will have a minimal impact IMO. At least the Tyler Ervin experience is over. Blue is gone also. Hopefully Hunt isn't sacrificed.

Feel good pick but doesn't help the team in the immediate future. Should have selected the best OL available at this slot which most likely would have netted a starter. Foreman won't start and will have a minimal impact IMO. At least the Tyler Ervin experience is over. Blue is gone also. Hopefully Hunt isn't sacrificed.

A rookie RB is always more of an immediate future pick than a rookie OL... especially in the late 3rd round. Foreman has a much greater chance of producing THIS year than anybody else for us at that spot. RB is the lowest learning curve in the NFL.

Because our RT situation may as well be from 2002.

Last edited:
So one minute it's bpa, now people want the team to reach for a rt in the worse tackle draft in history of the draft? Bill Polian said, don't create a player. When was the last time we've seen the 1st lineman last past 15? If they had him as their best player, you take the best player. I'm sure their board has a rt rated somewhere, we just don't know.

Picking a lineman doesn't mean picking a RT. Talent up front is in desperate demand, how is foreman going to succeed with a sieve for a blocking line? How can Savage or Watson succeed?

Team addressed what it needed to in order not to waste years in a developmental process, and it should have gone all in trying to revamp the line.

If all those players that you mentioned are gone, how will this guy not help us in the immediate future? He's a running back (it doesn't take long to get them on the field), is Lamar Miller going to take all the carries? There's really no such thing as a "feature back" anymore. This guy is going to get carries.

Duane Brown was a 1st round pick and during his 1st season he wasn't even a full-time starter. This Tackle draft sucks so even if we took one at that spot I highly doubt that they would just throw him out there to sink or swim.

We're probably going to have to sign a vet until we get the young tackle up to speed.

I agree with you on the OL, but it could be that at the time they picked, an O lineman would have been a reach, and they went with BPA, and that's how it should be. I happy with the picks, and I'll be surprised if they don't grab a couple of OL today.

Regarding Foreman, I like him a lot for short yardage situations, but he's awful in pass protection and he easily coughs it up. I hope he likes the decor in O'Brien's doghouse, because he'll be occupying it a lot.

Agreed but Foreman can learn pass pro.

He hasn't really played much football in college before last yr. His best yrs are ahead of him. IMHO

There are still some good OL on the board. I would trade up for Dorian Johnson. Bisnowatty/Holden/McDermott etc.... Need to spend the Rd.4 picks to help fix the OL.

So one minute it's bpa, now people want the team to reach for a rt in the worse tackle draft in history of the draft? Bill Polian said, don't create a player. When was the last time we've seen the 1st lineman last past 15? If they had him as their best player, you take the best player. I'm sure their board has a rt rated somewhere, we just don't know.

Honestly off the top of my head I've never seen one fall out of the top 10

Picking a lineman doesn't mean picking a RT. Talent up front is in desperate demand, how is foreman going to succeed with a sieve for a blocking line? How can Savage or Watson succeed?

Team addressed what it needed to in order not to waste years in a developmental process, and it should have gone all in trying to revamp the line.

It's like the Texans org never learns.

Chasing subpar talent out of dire need is what landed us into the Assweiler fiasco.

Honestly with how infrequent these lineman are coming off the board I doubt there's a huge drop off between rounds 3 and 5.. so why reach in round 3 when you can get similar prospects later?

I saw one of the socalled Draft gurus grading the first round and he said he thought the worst pick in the first round was Leonard Fournette because you can always find good running backs in later rounds. So anyway Foreman is big, about Fournettes size with descent 40 speed like Fournett so is that what we've got here, a poor mans Leonard Fournette in the third round ?

Really like Foreman. He's the downhill pounder we really lacked last year and he's extremely athletic for a guy with that skill set. Only 2 issues...

1) Fumbles. He really needs to be more consistent tucking that ball away or he will be in O'Brien's doghouse quick.

2) Needs to run behind his pads more consistently. He runs high sometimes and that negates a lot of his natural power.

I believe the fumbling issues were caused by playing with a broken hand. It's also the reason they didn't throw him the ball last yr. His best yrs are ahead of him. IMHO

I saw one of the socalled Draft gurus grading the first round and he said he thought the worst pick in the first round was Leonard Fournette because you can always find good running backs in later rounds. So anyway Foreman is big, about Fournettes size with descent 40 speed like Fournett so is that what we've got here, a poor mans Leonard Fournette in the third round ?

That's what happened. And our Oline is better than Jacksonville's!

Though poor man's Leonard Fournette is kind of harsh. Foreman was named the nation's top RB last season when he won the Doak Walker award afterall :)

Dorian Johnson will get picked early in the 4th. At this point I'd be looking at one of these guys: Isaac Asiata, Nic Siragusa, Zach Banner or one if the
Chasing subpar talent out of dire need is what landed us into the Assweiler fiasco.

Honestly with how infrequent these lineman are coming off the board I doubt there's a huge drop off between rounds 3 and 5.. so why reach in round 3 when you can get similar prospects later?

This is The Brady Syndrome in effect. Thinking that you can find talent in late rounds because another team struck gold once before doing so.

More importantly was a LB or RB that last piece needed to truly be a contender? Depth is great don't get me wrong, but it doesn't matter who's running it throwing if the guys up front are all "JAGS" ... Talent dropoff is a real thing.

Dorian Johnson will get picked early in the 4th. At this point I'd be looking at one of these guys: Isaac Asiata, Nic Siragusa, Zach Banner or one if the

This is The Brady Syndrome in effect. Thinking that you can find talent in late rounds because another team struck gold once before doing so.

More importantly was a LB or RB that last piece needed to truly be a contender? Depth is great don't get me wrong, but it doesn't matter who's running it throwing if the guys up front are all "JAGS" ... Talent dropoff is a real thing.

Since when are the guys up front JAGS? Duane Brown is still a stud. XSF is a 2nd round pick entering a contract year (will play his best). Martin 2nd round pick. Allen former 2nd round pick (who played like it in his contract year.. hint hint back to XSF) and should be better than last season when healthy. Only JAG would be Clark who kept Khalil Mack from getting a sack in the playoffs...

I know he had the hand issue but when I watch a lot of his film he is not tucking the ball away high and tight. It's swinging around a lot.

That's a coachable flaw. Tiki Barber had that issue until Tom Coughlin fixed him up. Foreman's hands are huge! Coach him up on ball security and hopefully a healthier hand makes a more secure ball carrier!

Back