Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

Excited about Mike Kafka joining the interview mix! Another young ascending offensive mind. Former QB. From the Andy Reid and Brian Daboll tree, not a bad place to be from.

The Giants offense may have been the least talented in the NFL. Right down there with the Houston Texans. But Kafka and Daboll managed to make chicken salad and the unit overachieved this season.

Kafka was the play caller as well. Important that a first year HC trusted a first year OC enough to call plays instead of trying to hold onto that duty since that’s what got them the promotion to HC in the first place.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but this list of prospective candidates is impressive, Kafka being the latest. There isn’t a single candidate that is an obvious poor choice. I can’t believe there isn’t a HS QB coach on this list. Heck, maybe Cal is turning over a new leaf, who knows. Maybe the tin man has a brain after all.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but this list of prospective candidates is impressive, Kafka being the latest. There isn’t a single candidate that is an obvious poor choice. I can’t believe there isn’t a HS QB coach on this list. Heck, maybe Cal is turning over a new leaf, who knows. Maybe the tin man has a brain after all.
Looks like Caserio is running the HC search. Hopefully Cal takes his recommendation this time around.

Kalfka is my choice.

I think either Gannon or Johnson would be fine choices as well.

Last edited:
I like the list of candidates. What I want from this list…..a HC who wants to make being the leader of the team his first priority. I don’t want another HC who has aspirations of being one of the coordinator’s as well. I want to see a list of potential coordinator’s the HC would like to hire to begin filling out his staff.

Looks lovely ke Caserio is running the HC search. Hopefully Cal takes his recommendation this time around.

Kalfka is my choice.

I think either Gannon or Johnson would be fine choices as well.

Everyone is looking for the next Mcvay or Lil Shanny. The young offensive mind to take their team to the next level. In Kafka, Johnson and Steichen they have candidates ranging in age from 35-37. Hope they hit on the right candidate and then go to the draft and hit again. If they do, this franchise will have a shot at long term success even if Cal is owner.

I like the list of candidates. What I want from this list…..a HC who wants to make being the leader of the team his first priority. I don’t want another HC who has aspirations of being one of the coordinator’s as well. I want to see a list of potential coordinator’s the HC would like to hire to begin filling out his staff.

Right. HC means Head Coach not head coordinator. I don’t mind his influence and wanting it done his way, but bring your guys in to do it so you’re able to oversee everything instead of being focused a lot more on one side of the ball.

Depends on 2 things,

1. If Cal overpays to get Caserio's guy. Gannon coming here means Cal will have to pay more because of what happened last yr.

2. What the new HC thinks of the QB class and what plan Caserio lays out for him of Caserio's vision. I would say with all of the draft picks and cap space as well as 10-12 players that can be long time starters already on the roster that this job should be appealing even though the team was really bad last yr. Gotta find a QB in either 2023 or 2024 though.

Should no question be a good looking situation. However, how much has Cal aided in not wanting to pay for better FAs and/or possibly not allowing Nick Caserio to make HIS and the HCs picks? Rumors are around that say Cal and/or Easterby had a hand in who was drafted. We know Lovie was who picked Stingley over Sauce even with a strong medical red flag.

I think Cal is going to be a better owner from here on out. I think Hannah is taking a more prominent role, and is directing things behind the scenes. She seems to be the one that is more plugged in, and has quietly become the real power at the top.

I hope so, seeing Cal from what I understand only knew basics of the game when he took control. And his picks of HCs have not helped. I think Culley was just a guy to alter cultural issues in the locker room. Lovie was not all Cal or Nick. It seems Cal liked him and Nick was looking at guys like Frazier. But, when it came picking time Cal took a guy who was on staff. And maybe overrode Nick Caserio on who Nick wanted. If Nick wanted Lovie, I feel only 1 HC was his choice. Not both Culley and Lovie.

Not being particularly familiar with any of the candidates, I watched interviews for several of them.

I'm going to exclude DeMeco because I feel like he isn't going to legitimately be in the mix.

Out of the interviews I watched, and knowing admittedly little about their coaching abilities, I liked them as a HC candidate in this order.
This list is biased towards me favoring an offensive coach.
Ben Johnson
Shane Steichen
Johnathan Gannon
Mike Kafka
Ejiro Evero

Like another of you mentioned, a Ben Johnson / Vic Fangio pairing is my favorite so far.

This is all very very preliminary. Also, my HC evaluations have been nearly as bad as my QB evaluations so take it with a grain of salt.
I loved the OB hire, for example

Anyone know the coaching tree that Ben Johnson is most closely identified with?
His bio doesn't really tell me much about his philosophy or who he is most influenced by.

Man, I’d like to have Sean Payton. If Sean decides to entertain a meeting with the Texans, my hopes could go up b/c the current state of the Texans isn’t as bad as it may appear. My biggest concern, what would the Texans have to give up to the Saints if there was a chance to make it happen?

Man, I’d like to have Sean Payton. If Sean decides to entertain a meeting with the Texans, my hopes could go up b/c the current state of the Texans isn’t as bad as it may appear. My biggest concern, what would the Texans have to give up to the Saints if there was a chance to make it happen?
If I'm NC, I offer pick #12, and if they make negative noises switch it up to the #2.
If they still seem negative, toss in next year's 2nd round pick.

If I'm NC, I offer pick #12, and if they make negative noises switch it up to the #2.
If they still seem negative, toss in next year's 2nd round pick.
I don't think Payton would want to come to a team that is depleting their draft resources.

Remember when Caserio talked about stepping aside if the new head coach didn't want him around? This is the scenario he was talking about.

I don't think Payton would want to come to a team that is depleting their draft resources.

Remember when Caserio talked about stepping aside if the new head coach didn't want him around? This is the scenario he was talking about.

I know there'd be a substantial cap hit, but maybe package Cooks and a 2nd for him?
Although I'm not sure if Cooks would like going back to NO or not. Does he have a NTC?

Depends how much control they grant him.
He could stop the bleeding and has some nice draft picks to work with over the next couple of years.
Whoever they choose I hope he is a primarily offensive minded coach - they should be more suitable to bring a rookie QB along.

No, but he's threatened to retire if he didn't like where he's traded. Cooks is a pain.

I don't know Cooks' opinion of Payton, but I'm wondering if it's favorable enough that he would reconsider staying if Payton is hired. And then I'm wondering if I'd even want him to stay.

I'm not a fan of the kind of little biatch he's shown himself to be, but in fairness, this team is a shyte show that could turn even the best teammate into an Antonio Brown

Payton has a really huge ego, and sort of an OB my way or the highway attitude. He can be an ahole. BUT...like the hoodie, he can get away with it due to the fact that he has a proven track record. I think FA's would want to play for that guy due to his record of success, so that's a plus.

But I'm just not a fan of getting rid of valuable draft assets for a guy that isn't on the field when your roster is depleted. I'd never ever ever EVER (he says for emphasis) give up the #2. To me that's complete insanity. If I really thought he hung the moon and stars...maybe the #12 but honestly even that is a bridge to far for me.

If NO would take a 2nd, I'd be way more amenable to making that deal happen and my interest level would rise dramatically. Worth an interview for sure. Let's see what happens.

Personally, I'm on the Ryans train. He's my #1 guy by far. If he doesn't work out, I've got Kafka, Johnson, and Steichen(sp?) right behind him, and in no particular order. Any of those OC's have a high upside and have shown they can be innovative and shown they can improve QB's. Whoever is most impressive at interview time between the 3. But it's Ryan's or one of these young bucks with a head of steam for me.

Sean Payton is the big splash move, but I'm more interested in adding major pieces to the roster than in watching an egomaniac roaming the sidelines.

Personally, I'm on the Ryans train. He's my #1 guy by far. If he doesn't work out, I've got Kafka, Johnson, and Steichen(sp?) right behind him, and in no particular order.
One of these guys could very well become the next Sean Payton. But...you've got to at least talk to the actual Sean Payton if he's willing to listen. Payton walks into the building, and he's the guy. The players know it. Everyone in the building knows it. Cal knows it. Payton is the Alpha. Not a blowhard like O'Brien. All the crap history of this franchise is put aside. The story is Sean Payton. Instant status for the organization.

Damn. Was reading about when gruden was traded from raiders to bucs.(if article is right)
2 1sts
2 2nds
8 million

Belichick
From jets to patriots

1st and 4th in 2000
4th in 2001
7th in 2002

The jets 5th and 7th in 2001

The Belichick compensation was so worth it for the Patriots. Gruden did get the 1st Super Bowl win, but that team was loaded. They could afford to give up that treasure trove.

Of course, the Raiders blew those picks.

The poster I quoted suggested the #2 pick overall. That's not happening. The #12? That is a lot, but you're getting the face of the franchise. He's got the weight behind his name to turn this franchise around.

Still think he ends up in Dallas, though.
I get it - #2 seems high but who in this draft is worth more to this franchise or impact it more than Payton? Anyone?
I didn't think so.

Back