Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

dae2db85a83e5e8609f772bf0c95965b.jpg

I made this meme.

It summarizes how we look as an opening NFL coaching search. There is us and everyone else.

We just aren’t that attractive to “A” level talent coaches right now. No Harbaugh and no Ryans.

dae2db85a83e5e8609f772bf0c95965b.jpg

I made this meme.

It summarizes how we look as an opening NFL coaching search. There is us and everyone else.

We just aren’t that attractive to “A” level talent coaches right now. No Harbaugh and no Ryans.
I think people make too much of this. Let's look at some potential openings and see how they compare to our organization.

Cardinals - They are saddled with a huge contract on a mediocre QB, so you are tied to his hip. Huge problem for a new coach.

Commanders - The Ownership is actually worse than ours lol. Instability throughout and no QB solution, picking middle of the pack.

Raiders - Again, an unstable organization with no clear direction at QB. Made some risky trades that aren't paying off.

Texans - We all know.

Indy - Again, unstable ownership with no clear direction at QB. Similar to Houston.

Is this even reliable? Not saying he wants to come here, but this is pure speculation throughout the post.

For instance, I had a major work comp injury back in 2013, which involved me having to "sue" my employer to fight for my injury claims and monetary claims, but I am still friends with the family and would work there again if the circumstances were right. I actually discuss it sometimes with them. Work-related things aren't the same IMO as just suing someone because they wronged you.

Reactions: JB
I find it hard to believe that he’d pass up any HC job opportunity. Until he actually says it himself, I’m calling BS.
The job has gotten somewhat better with Easterby out of the building. But I think most HC candidates will want to report directly to Cal, with Caserio in charge of personnel only.

Regarding Aaron Wilson, I don't discard his reporting just because he was fired by The Chronic. I know he probably has contacts within the Texans. But Ryans was long gone from Houston by the time Wilson came here. Where did he get his DeMeco inside information?
I think people make too much of this. Let's look at some potential openings and see how they compare to our organization.
Include the Broncos, Panthers, and possibly Rams. It's not pretty out there. But someone will take these jobs. Cast a wide net and don't be afraid to go after the big fish.

Last edited:
People continuously say, "[Guy A] will never take a job with [Team B]" tend not to factor in the reality that there are only 32 of these jobs in the world; and passing on them gets harder and harder each time you do it.

This is probably more true for Gannon than DeMeco, but you never know.

Cardinals - They are saddled with a huge contract on a mediocre QB, so you are tied to his hip. Huge problem for a new coach.

Commanders - The Ownership is actually worse than ours lol. Instability throughout and no QB solution, picking middle of the pack.

Raiders - Again, an unstable organization with no clear direction at QB. Made some risky trades that aren't paying off.

Texans - We all know.

Indy - Again, unstable ownership with no clear direction at QB. Similar to Houston.

I get the unstable ownership.

But those teams you mentioned all have better rosters than the Texans. And as you pointed out they are potentially a QB away.

If you had Harbaugh/Payton picking between those teams and the Texans, all things being equal for pay and control but the rosters stay the same then I would say those coaches would pick another team at this point and time. Arizona may be an outlier.

You can throw Denver, Miami and Carolina in there too.

However, I would say that Arizona and Carolina are two teams we could have a running shot at getting the better coach to come here.

Some guys I like in no particular order.

Brian Callahan, OC Bengals. The guy has done some impressive work with multiple QBs, P Manning, Stafford, Carr, and now Burrow. He is young and understands today's offense and schemes. I trust him with molding our next QB.

Demeco Ryans, DC Niners. We obviously know about Ryans as a leader and person, but what he has continued to do with the Niners defense is impressive. I am very reluctant to hire a defensive guy because the turnover at OC damages teams. With an offensive HC you have at least a level of consistency. But there is no denying him as among the best defensive coaches in the game right now.

Shane Steichen, OC Eagles. Another young innovative OC who has helped multiple young QBs. He has helped Jalen Hurts become a better passer and helped Justin Herbert become ROTY. I would trust him with our next QB.

Jonathan Gannon, DC Eagles. Honestly, the only thing that impresses me about Gannon is the potential ability to assemble a quality staff from previous connections. Outside of that, he does not have a long resume and no history on the offensive side of the ball. His defense is good, but not dominant. He is not my favorite candidate.

Ben Johnson, OC Lions. I like this guy's future, but it might be a year or two too early for us. I love what he has done with Goff and the Lions, but again, his track record is just not as long. I do love how he uses tight ends. Hockenson is a beast.

Kellen Moore, OC Cowboys. Moore has done some good things with the Cowboys and the instability of Dak's availability. His track record with multiple QBs is limited, but he has helped Dak become a legit QB and Cooper Rush looked great at times. I would like to see him move on from Dallas as OC but that's unlikely, as I expect him to get hired as HC soon.

There are obviously more guys, but these few stand out to me. I think I would lean toward Callahan or Setichen personally. I love their track record with young QBs and that is exactly what we need.

While it sounds like Gannon is the guy do the Texans still have to comply with the Rooney rule?

After firing two African American coaches back to back I wonder how hard it is going to be for them?

While it sounds like Gannon is the guy do the Texans still have to comply with the Rooney rule?

After firing two African American coaches back to back I wonder how hard it is going to be for them?
Gannon's name is being "reported" but it's only because he was interviewed twice last season, & wasn't hired as a HC. I don't know if that means he is even the favorite at this point. I hope not.

I hope they look at every good candidate & pick the best one they can find. If that's Gannon, great. I just hope they don't go into this with blinders.

I get the unstable ownership.

But those teams you mentioned all have better rosters than the Texans. And as you pointed out they are potentially a QB away.

If you had Harbaugh/Payton picking between those teams and the Texans, all things being equal for pay and control but the rosters stay the same then I would say those coaches would pick another team at this point and time. Arizona may be an outlier.

You can throw Denver, Miami and Carolina in there too.

However, I would say that Arizona and Carolina are two teams we could have a running shot at getting the better coach to come here.

Depends on 2 things,

1. If Cal overpays to get Caserio's guy. Gannon coming here means Cal will have to pay more because of what happened last yr.

2. What the new HC thinks of the QB class and what plan Caserio lays out for him of Caserio's vision. I would say with all of the draft picks and cap space as well as 10-12 players that can be long time starters already on the roster that this job should be appealing even though the team was really bad last yr. Gotta find a QB in either 2023 or 2024 though.

Very easy, you pay one of the current assistant coaches, I like the RB's coach (Barrett) to interview, promise him a spot on the incoming staff and give him a raise.

Is this even reliable? Not saying he wants to come here, but this is pure speculation throughout the post.

For instance, I had a major work comp injury back in 2013, which involved me having to "sue" my employer to fight for my injury claims and monetary claims, but I am still friends with the family and would work there again if the circumstances were right. I actually discuss it sometimes with them. Work-related things aren't the same IMO as just suing someone because they wronged you.

Business owners aren't known for hiring back ex employees that have sued them. Maybe you've had a different experience, but that experience is rare.

I've never understood the hand wringing about firing black coaches. They've obviously proven that they hire them, so one negates the other at least in my opinion

Last edited:
The Rooney rule is such a farce.

If say the Broncos wanted to hire Payton, they might as well hire the janitor if he's a man of color to meet the Rooney rule.

It has come close to that at times in the past. The good news for the Broncos is that they already have interview list published.

I can't find the original article this was pulled from. But I think one guy that could broker a deal between DeMeco & Cal is Andre Johnson.
True, but I dunno would Andre actually recommend to his former teammate to take that job if offered ?

Everyone (including myself) has said DeMeco Ryans isn't going to interview here. Interesting how his name pops up. It would be a good choice, I just don't see it happening.

I am just not used to the Texans organization making intelligent decisions, it's not their m.o.

Posted in this forum because it seems more relevant.

Excellent - was hoping Ben Johnson would be interviewed for the position, and apparently he will be. He is an excellent young offensive mind.

"Johnson was promoted from tight ends coach to offensive coordinator before the 2022 season and quickly turned the Lions into one of the league's best offenses. After a 2021 season in which the Lions finished 3-13-1 and ranked 25th in the league in scoring (19.1 PPG), Johnson helped turn the Lions into the fifth-highest scoring team in 2022 (26.6 PPG) as they went on to post their first winning season since 2017. The Texans currently hold the No. 2 overall pick in next year's draft and will likely need a bright offensive mind to lead whatever high-profile quarterback they end up drafting. What Johnson was able to do with Jared Goff under center could be enough to have several teams interested in his services."

Everyone (including myself) has said DeMeco Ryans isn't going to interview here. Interesting how his name pops up. It would be a good choice, I just don't see it happening.

I am just not used to the Texans organization making intelligent decisions, it's not their m.o.

There is still opportunity for DeMeco to say no.

So everyone could still be right. But at least the effort was made.

Evero makes for one of the more unusual candidates in recent years. The Broncos finished 5-12 and fired the coach who brought in Evero — Nathaniel Hackett — after 15 games, making him just the third coach since the 1970 merger to be canned before his first season wrapped. But Evero was on Sean McVay‘s first five Rams staffs and was rising before Hackett hired him. Despite steady injuries and Denver’s offense cratering under Hackett, Evero’s defense finished seventh this season.
OIP.biQ4TUiiPT9IQk78DmPBHwHaEK

Ejiro Evero. I had never heard of this guy. He's young (42), but has been in the NFL since 2007. Here are some names Evero has worked under on the defensive side of the ball.

Monte Kiffen (Bucs - 2 years)
Vic Fangio (Niners - 2 years)
Dom Capers (Packers - 1 year)
Wade Phillips (Rams - 3 years)
Raheem Morris (Rams, Bucs - 2 years)
Brandon Staley (Rams - 1 year)

This guy has worked in every defensive system imaginable. Downside? Only one year as DC, no head coaching experience. Would need an older, wiser assistant HC (would Lovie be available?).

🏁 Winning.

Last edited:
Ejiro Evero. I had never heard of this guy. He's young (42), but has been in the NFL since 2007. Here are some names Evero has worked under on the defensive side of the ball.

Monte Kiffen (Bucs - 2 years)
Vic Fangio (Niners - 2 years)
Dom Capers (Packers - 1 year)
Wade Phillips (Rams - 3 years)
Raheem Morris (Rams, Bucs - 2 years)
Brandon Staley (Rams - 1 year)

This guy has worked in every defensive system imaginable. Downside? Only one year as DC, no head coaching experience. Would need an older, wiser assistant HC (would Lovie be available?).

Winning.

Something tells me that if they hire a DC or OC for HC that the new hire is still going to try to maintain play calling duties.

I hope through the interview process that don’t allow that to happen to prevent another OB fiasco.

I understand it in certain situations like how Reed takes over for Bieniemy in tight situations.

Something tells me that if they hire a DC or OC for HC that the new hire is still going to try to maintain play calling duties.
Maybe for the first year or so, while he teaches the playbook to the assistants and the players. If Evero goes with a hybrid system, that would be a big playbook.

I don't know Evero. Not in favor of him. If we go DC, it's got to be a guy with some juice. He's not it. But if we're going DC, why not Raheem Morris? That guy would interest me if he were interested in being here.

I'm most interested in Ryans, Shane Steichen, and Ben Johnson - probably in that order. I'm also ok with Gannon IF he brings in first-class Coordinators. The others linked to the Texans so far at least? Pass.

Raheem Morris has had a shot as a head coach, to the tune of a .356 winning % over 4 years. Maybe he's learned a lot over the past dozen seasons? Just not looking for retreads that have not had success.

Fair point. Still...I like him. I'd at least give him a phone call. Worth kicking the tires possibly.

Sound reasoning.

You left the rest out. Doesn't matter if I know him or not. He's got no juice. The Texans need to make a splash if they want to bring fans back.

He's not it, in the least. There is zero juice with the guy. Not yet. Possibly in a year or two as he builds his resume and gets his name bandied about. I'm ok with an interview, but he's not high on my list. There's a process, and he's not there yet IMHO.

Ryans has tons of juice, but will he want to be here? No idea.

Back