Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

The HC pool looks much better than past two seasons. Maybe its the lack of Easterby? Maybe its the draft capital and cap space?

I’d like to see Wes Phillips get an interview here. I have a preference towards getting an offensive mind at the HC spot unless DeMeco wants to come here and bring someone from the Shanny tree.

I really like what Ben Johnson was able to do with the Lions. He got castoff Jared Goff to do more with less talent than Mcvay could in their final years. And Jamaal Williams went over 1000 yards and 17 tds. Heck of a season for Amon-Ra St. Brown (a second year 4th round slot 1000 yards receiving 100+ catches).

Steichen is also an interesting candidate due to multiple years as a productive OC with two different types of QB (but getting success from both).

Johnson and Steichen are my top two candidates for the ones we are aware the Texans have reached out about.

Things are heating up quick within the division! Schefter reports... Colts are also meeting with Aaron Glenn for head Coach interview. I love the job Glenn did turning around that Lions defense, which was dead last in the NFL in almost everything mid-season.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Colts requested permission to interview Lions OC Ben Johnson for their head coaching vacancy.
What's nice about Johnson, is he has coaching experience. Although that doesn't seem to be much of a prerequisite for Colts owner Jim Irsay these days. Johnson helped lead the Lions' offense to the fifth-most points per game this season (26.6), with Jared Goff at the helm. Johnson has just one year of experience as an offensive coordinator but that hasn't stopped multiple teams from requesting interviews with him. With the Colts and Texans both on tap to speak with Johnson, it's possible the Lions will soon find themselves in the market for a new offensive coordinator of their own.

The HC pool looks much better than past two seasons. Maybe its the lack of Easterby? Maybe its the draft capital and cap space?

I’d like to see Wes Phillips get an interview here. I have a preference towards getting an offensive mind at the HC spot unless DeMeco wants to come here and bring someone from the Shanny tree.

I really like what Ben Johnson was able to do with the Lions. He got castoff Jared Goff to do more with less talent than Mcvay could in their final years. And Jamaal Williams went over 1000 yards and 17 tds. Heck of a season for Amon-Ra St. Brown (a second year 4th round slot 1000 yards receiving 100+ catches).

Steichen is also an interesting candidate due to multiple years as a productive OC with two different types of QB (but getting success from both).

Johnson and Steichen are my top two candidates for the ones we are aware the Texans have reached out about.
Why not Gannon?

Head Coach who sees big picture and delegates coaching to his hand picked assistants. Want all player evaluations on Caserio so there is accountability and pure scouting 101.

Funny how now, we’re talking about serious head coaching candidates? Sure seems like. Good upcoming, young assistant could have been selected two years ago. So expect a big name. Not interested in Harbaugh or Payton.

Kirby Smart.
Georgia Head Coach.
Innovative.
Proven.
Would build a dynasty.
Nothing left to prove in College
Ready for the NFL.

College to pro guys have had a mixed record and that’s putting it kindly. I’m bearish on a college HC. I’ll take a pro coordinator. I had Aaron Glen in mind too, but thinking it may be a year early but he would make a good HC. Still bullish on the idea of an OC here with the Lions and Eagles OC’s top of mind.

Kirby Smart 10 year 112 million dollar contract has buyout heavily in the coach’s favor:

Smart would owe the school much less if he leaves on his own: $5 million if he terminates the contract before the end of 2024, $4 million if it’s before the end of 2027, $3 million if it’s in 2028, $2 million if it’s in 2029 and $1 million if it’s before the end of 2031.

Kirby is not just any College Coach.

Kirby Smart 10 year 112 million dollar contract has buyout heavily in the coach’s favor:

Smart would owe the school much less if he leaves on his own: $5 million if he terminates the contract before the end of 2024, $4 million if it’s before the end of 2027, $3 million if it’s in 2028, $2 million if it’s in 2029 and $1 million if it’s before the end of 2031.

Kirby is not just any College Coach.

ehhh, thats what everyone said about Chip Kelley and how "innovative" he was in Oregon with the way he holds practices and runs his offenses in college. It''s also what Texian kept saying about Meyer. 0-3 between both those guys. Porky's spot on here. Those guys are successful on that level b/c they have complete control of the players. Its the direct opposite in the NFL where star players can get you axed if they're not feeling your coaching style or offense.

this is my list as well. Looks like they’re the first two to interview.

Posted in this forum because it seems more relevant.

Excellent - was hoping Ben Johnson would be interviewed for the position, and apparently he will be. He is an excellent young offensive mind.

"Johnson was promoted from tight ends coach to offensive coordinator before the 2022 season and quickly turned the Lions into one of the league's best offenses. After a 2021 season in which the Lions finished 3-13-1 and ranked 25th in the league in scoring (19.1 PPG), Johnson helped turn the Lions into the fifth-highest scoring team in 2022 (26.6 PPG) as they went on to post their first winning season since 2017. The Texans currently hold the No. 2 overall pick in next year's draft and will likely need a bright offensive mind to lead whatever high-profile quarterback they end up drafting. What Johnson was able to do with Jared Goff under center could be enough to have several teams interested in his services."

I’ve listened to a couple of his press conferences and he is impressive. This is the kind of HC we need.

Head Coach who sees big picture and delegates coaching to his hand picked assistants. Want all player evaluations on Caserio so there is accountability and pure scouting 101.

Funny how now, we’re talking about serious head coaching candidates? Sure seems like. Good upcoming, young assistant could have been selected two years ago. So expect a big name. Not interested in Harbaugh or Payton.

Kirby Smart.
Georgia Head Coach.
Innovative.
Proven.
Would build a dynasty.
Nothing left to prove in College
Ready for the NFL.

Can he navigate a tougher nfl salary cap than at Georgia..

ehhh, thats what everyone said about Chip Kelley and how "innovative" he was in Oregon with the way he holds practices and runs his offenses in college. It''s also what Texian kept saying about Meyer. 0-3 between both those guys. Porky's spot on here. Those guys are successful on that level b/c they have complete control of the players. Its the direct opposite in the NFL where star players can get you axed if they're not feeling your coaching style or offense.

Very stereotypical generalizations.

Smart makes Sabin speechless 😶

Not in the lifetime of 100 million suns do I want Mayo or any other NE garbage. Absolutely no way, no howm], just no no no!

Are you talking the average lifetime of 100 million suns, or their lifetimes added together which would be older than the universe itself?

You did the math?

The "average" lifetime of a star (depending on what type of star it is) can be measured in millions of years if it's really huge, or for an estimated 20 billion years (the smaller stars), which is older than the universe itself. Our star has an estimated lifetime of about 10 billion years, and we're almost halfway through that. So our star is "middle aged" for it's class.

No math was used in this post. :splits:

Are you talking the average lifetime of 100 million suns, or their lifetimes added together which would be older than the universe itself?

Added together unless the addition is older then the Milky Way in which case the age of the Milky Way. 😜

The "average" lifetime of a star (depending on what type of star it is) can be measured in millions of years if it's really huge, or for an estimated 20 billion years (the smaller stars), which is older than the universe itself. Our star has an estimated lifetime of about 10 billion years, and we're almost halfway through that. So our star is "middle aged" for it's class.

No math was used in this post. :splits:

Sure, if you believe all of that space gobbledygook. The earth is flat, therefore so is my midsection.

This may have been posted already,

“There’s a lot of really good coaches in this league, so, I think we’re going to be diligent about that,” Caserio said. “You know, as Cal alluded to, there’s a process that the league has in place that you have to go through. The league has done a great job of sort of enhancing the process and the thoroughness of it. Establishment of the job description, which is important, number one.

“Number two, there’s training and other vehicles that each club has to go through to make sure they’re in compliance,” said Caserio.

“Number three, then to get in the process and notification, and then you have parameters in place in terms of when you can talk to candidates, being respectful of their situation, being respectful of their season,” Caserio said. “Then doing some internal review of some of the things that we’ve done. “To your question about what’s important, in the end it’s a leadership position,” said Caserio. “The head coach’s responsibility is to consistently, continually message the players, create belief, create a vision for the team, work in concert with as many people that are in the building.

“My role is a supplementary role to be as big and as much of a resource as possible,” said Caserio. “It has to be a collaborative effort, and it will be a collaborative effort. The only way you accomplish things is together as a team.

“When we look at an actual team on the field, it’s not about one player, it’s not about one position,” said Caserio. “It’s about 11 players functioning at an optimum level. That’s how you have sustained success. It’s no different in a football operation. The head coach-general manager relationship, it’s always been important. It will continue to be important, and the ability to lead the team, message the team.

“There are a number of other things that go along with it, but I think in the end coaching is about teaching and it’s about leadership,” Caserio said. “Those are the things that are paramount. Everybody has different strengths, everybody has qualities, everybody has areas that they’re more accomplished than others.

Back