Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Head Coach Candidates

Ken Niumatalolo is available after Navy let him go. He’s America Samoan and brings the triple option to the NFL. Win-win for the Texans as far as PR goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And also, in 15 years he won one...ONE Super Bowl. Not that it's a bad thing, but Switzer won ONE SB, Bill Bellick, Mike McCarthy won ONE SB...I wouldn't want any of those, ONE SB win could just be a fluke. I'd rather take my chances on an up and coming young guy leading this team.

There’s only been 13 HCs to win multiple SBs and only one of them is actively coaching. So your choices under that criteria are pretty limited.

And also, in 15 years he won one...ONE Super Bowl. Not that it's a bad thing, but Switzer won ONE SB, Bill Bellick, Mike McCarthy won ONE SB...I wouldn't want any of those, ONE SB win could just be a fluke. I'd rather take my chances on an up and coming young guy leading this team.

You’re right. We should hire Joe Gibbs and slap Sunoco and Menard sponsor labels all over the players helmets. Rename NRG the Toyota Center…oh wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm NC, I offer pick #12, and if they make negative noises switch it up to the #2.
If they still seem negative, toss in next year's 2nd round pick.
God dam Bill Obrein!! I thought you were gone.

Man if be comes in with fangio….Dam!

Still for some reason I want Ben Johnson and Fangio more. Young coaches that come along and just take over like he has are rare. Reminds me of Sean McVay. He looks like a natural and the more I look into him the more impressed I am.

TexansCap on Twitter has a podcast with Landry Locker. He says there are some “rumblings” that a couple of the Head Coaching candidates may not be interested in having Caserio around and could potentially want to bring in their own GM.

Sean Payton is obviously one of them.

But the one who surprised me was Jonathon Gannon. Supposedly he MAY want to bring in Ed Dobbs(asst. GM from Indianapolis) who is highly regarded as a talent evaluator.

To clarify- he said these are things he’s hearing and that at the end of it- Caserio is more than likely to stay… just don’t be absolutely shocked if he’s not

There’s only been 13 HCs to win multiple SBs and only one of them is actively coaching. So your choices under that criteria are pretty limited.
They are, but my point is a coach who coached at a high level and only came out with one SB in 15 years....makes you wonder. How good was he really. Win/Loss record was good, but winning the big one? Doug Peterson was HC for 6 yrs and won one SB, but I didn't see a huge scramble to hire him until Jax hired him. His SB winning frequency was twice Peyton's yet for some reason Peyton is more highly regarded.

They are, but my point is a coach who coached at a high level and only came out with one SB in 15 years....makes you wonder. How good was he really. Win/Loss record was good, but winning the big one? Doug Peterson was HC for 6 yrs and won one SB, but I didn't see a huge scramble to hire him until Jax hired him. His SB winning frequency was twice Peyton's yet for some reason Peyton is more highly regarded.

But you are arguing against SB winning coaches vs. up and comers who have never proven anything.

Payton would be the perfect HC to bring a rookie QB along. Offensive minded coach who also develops decent defences.Psyt
Oh, and also has a SB under his belt.
Oh, and I would absolutely give up pick #2 to get him.
:jogger:
Payton going thru 2023 without a QB? Nah..

I don't know Cooks' opinion of Payton, but I'm wondering if it's favorable enough that he would reconsider staying if Payton is hired. And then I'm wondering if I'd even want him to stay.

I'm not a fan of the kind of little biatch he's shown himself to be, but in fairness, this team is a shyte show that could turn even the best teammate into an Antonio Brown
Just me but i want Cooks gone.

Damn. Was reading about when gruden was traded from raiders to bucs.(if article is right)
2 1sts
2 2nds
8 million

Belichick
From jets to patriots

1st and 4th in 2000
4th in 2001
7th in 2002

The jets 5th and 7th in 2001

Any team faced with a prime asset that no longer wants to be associated with said team will demand a fortune. Payton knows he can wait another year and Saints get nothing.

I think Sean goescwhere he wants and he decides how much he gives up.
Let's not forget Saints won't pay any of this year's contract to Payton. That isn't cap but cash in owner's pocket.

This is what I shared on another Podcast. Saints will get something but it does not have to be a round one in my Opinion.
Sean Payton is like having a High value veteran in his prime who no longer wants to play for you. Those usually do not go for round one picks.

NO wants as much as possible but in the end, something better than nothing.
I’d give Payton whatever he wants. Hell, give him part ownership of the team and a ten year deal.

I think Gannon ends up here but in reference to article, McNair pays 2 HC no matter what. That decision in past. He will decide how much he's willing to pay Payton on it's own merit.

Let's not forget Payton reportedly has Fangio to be his DC. If that is correct, that bringing a tremendous duo to Houston. You know each will add coaches under them on their respective side of ball.

Did you forget about Payton turning a team that was in worse condition than the texans completely around and then getting them to the Super Bowl?

15 years he was there from paperbags who dat over fans heads to a superbowl.

TexansCap on Twitter has a podcast with Landry Locker. He says there are some “rumblings” that a couple of the Head Coaching candidates may not be interested in having Caserio around and could potentially want to bring in their own GM.

Sean Payton is obviously one of them.

But the one who surprised me was Jonathon Gannon. Supposedly he MAY want to bring in Ed Dobbs(asst. GM from Indianapolis) who is highly regarded as a talent evaluator.

To clarify- he said these are things he’s hearing and that at the end of it- Caserio is more than likely to stay… just don’t be absolutely shocked if he’s not
Any One have thoughts on who Sean Payton would want as a general manager? I just assumed he would fill that role bringing the $ for him into more reasonable numbers as he wears both hats?

Any thoughts on why Sean Payton is considered by almost everyone as one of the top Head coaches in the NFL despite what you say?

My comment is just based on what is being thrown out there. I have no problem with an interview. But my opinion is anything paid to NO is too much. If NO releases him from his contract, free and clear, then OK. But then again is the rumor he may be insisting on brining in his own GM. This is a contract killer.
What if Payton is also GM? 20 mill for HC and GM more reasonable to me. It's not salary cap $ just pocket $ for owner. If Denver pays Harbaugh $20 m as reported as possible, is that reasonable for Payton?

Personally, I wouldn’t see Caserio being an issue for Payton. I believe they could come together and find a singular direction in which to move the Texans. Caserio successfully worked for 20 years with Belichick, so working with Sean would probably be a walk in the park.

If Sean Payton had any questions for the Texans organization….it’s probably going to be the McNair’s desired level of involvement. He could let them know that football decisions need to be made by football minds and as for their part…..please, be seen but not heard.

Man, if Sean had waited another season there’d be no compensation required. Unfortunately, he’s looking now and that means a trade package would have to be created for the Saints.

Now, Sean could hardball the Saints b/c they gave him the green light to interview for a NFL HC job. If Saints want to much from his new team…..Sean could always threaten to sit in 2023 and then take the job in 2024 which would leave the Saints empty-handed and his new employer bridging the job for a season….maybe with one of his chosen coaches. So we could see how that plays out once talks get serious enough.

As an alternative to picks, how would you guys feel about offering players versus picks? How might the Saints view a package that included, RB- Pierce, CB- Stingley, S- Pitre, and OT- Howard? Saints would be getting 3 players who just completed the first year of their rookie contracts, one who has a 5th year option, and a veteran OT. All 4 players would be easily replaced through the next 2 drafts and with FA’s.

As an alternative to picks, how would you guys feel about offering players versus picks? How might the Saints view a package that included, RB- Pierce, CB- Stingley, S- Pitre, and OT- Howard? Saints would be getting 3 players who just completed the first year of their rookie contracts, one who has a 5th year option, and a veteran OT. All 4 players would be easily replaced through the next 2 drafts and with FA’s.
Are you absolutely crazy? Give up every decent young player the Texans have? That would set them back so far no Coach could make it work. Payton ain't God

I'm just leery of Payton retiring again if thing don't work out as well as he wants them to. I mean, he's already retired once. What's to stop him from retiring again?
If I’m Sean Payton, I‘d want to not just do, but to prove that I could build another Super Bowl winning team again. New Orleans when he first came on there, and the Texans in our current state, are very similar in that both were seemingly laughing stocks of the NFL. It would be like Tom Brady proving he can win a Super Bowl with a different team. I like the idea for sure. He can sell the vision and has the clout to get players to buy into it which is money if you ask me. IMHO

Personally, I wouldn’t see Caserio being an issue for Payton. I believe they could come together and find a singular direction in which to move the Texans. Caserio successfully worked for 20 years with Belichick, so working with Sean would probably be a walk in the park.

If Sean Payton had any questions for the Texans organization….it’s probably going to be the McNair’s desired level of involvement. He could let them know that football decisions need to be made by football minds and as for their part…..please, be seen but not heard.

Man, if Sean had waited another season there’d be no compensation required. Unfortunately, he’s looking now and that means a trade package would have to be created for the Saints.

Now, Sean could hardball the Saints b/c they gave him the green light to interview for a NFL HC job. If Saints want to much from his new team…..Sean could always threaten to sit in 2023 and then take the job in 2024 which would leave the Saints empty-handed and his new employer bridging the job for a season….maybe with one of his chosen coaches. So we could see how that plays out once talks get serious enough.

I like the Payton as coach idea, and agree with your comments regarding his sitting out and the costs to NO, but I want those players as Texans. We have got to get some player continuity going here for sure.

What if Payton is also GM? 20 mill for HC and GM more reasonable to me. It's not salary cap $ just pocket $ for owner. If Denver pays Harbaugh $20 m as reported as possible, is that reasonable for Payton?
First, I just don't like the idea of combining GM with HC. Second, I'm not addressing salary, I don't want to give up draft capital to NO for the rights to hire Payton.

If Texans snag Payton I guarantee you they get a QB with #2 , #12 or #34.
I've heard that Payton doesn't like Bryce because of his size. I don't know if that is true or not, but I did hear him say in an interview that he looks for QB's that are 6'1" or more, and will only go shorter if the QB in question is truly special. I don't know if he'd go 3" shorter though, which would be where Bryce Young fits in.

I've heard that Payton doesn't like Bryce because of his size. I don't know if that is true or not, but I did hear him say in an interview that he looks for QB's that are 6'1" or more, and will only go shorter if the QB in question is truly special. I don't know if he'd go 3" shorter though, which would be where Bryce Young fits in.
I'd be comfortable with Payton making that decision, either way.

It will be interesting to see how he measures officially at the combine, I'm betting he goes 5'11". Payton can make that work but if he ends up here, which I doubt, it will come with certain caveats - like picking who he wants at QB and that is a wise choice.

IMO, Sean Payton can't hardball the Saints because he's already on the payroll. If he wants to coach now, which it seems like he does then the Saints' price whatever it may be must be met or Payton has to sit. I really think he wants to come back now b/c there are some opportunities that he thinks he can thrive in. He's not going to go just anywhere and if the Saints price isn't met, those specific opportunities may not be there in 2024. Also, I don't think you can trade players for staff.

IMO, Sean Payton can't hardball the Saints because he's already on the payroll. If he wants to coach now, which it seems like he does then the Saints' price whatever it may be must be met or Payton has to sit. I really think he wants to come back now b/c there are some opportunities that he thinks he can thrive in. He's not going to go just anywhere and if the Saints price isn't met, those specific opportunities may not be there in 2024. Also, I don't think you can trade players for staff.
The saints could just release him from his contract.

I guess my first preference is to hire a young, OC as HC. Having just looked at Kafka, Johnson and Steichen, for now, Steichen is my choice. Of the three, he has the most experience : four years as a QB coach and four years as an OC. And perhaps a deciding factor, he is the only one with coaching experience on the defensive side of the ball : two years as a defensive assistant.

Yeah i think Car stereo is willing to step back and just sit in the owner's suite and nod his head when cow [Cal .. cell phone Cal] speaks.

Those players too significant and remember no HC wants to give away assets that will help him succeed. Now OJ Howard We do not use anyway..

I guess my first preference is to hire a young, OC as HC. Having just looked at Kafka, Johnson and Steichen, for now, Steichen is my choice. Of the three, he has the most experience : four years as a QB coach and four years as an OC. And perhaps a deciding factor, he is the only one with coaching experience on the defensive side of the ball : two years as a defensive assistant.
I like him very much. Also I prefer an offensive minded Head coach even though I consider myself a defensive minded person.

Back