Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Head Coach Candidates

I've heard that Payton doesn't like Bryce because of his size. I don't know if that is true or not, but I did hear him say in an interview that he looks for QB's that are 6'1" or more, and will only go shorter if the QB in question is truly special. I don't know if he'd go 3" shorter though, which would be where Bryce Young fits in.
Unless quarterback is truly special. There you go! Bryce Young.

As an alternative to picks, how would you guys feel about offering players versus picks? How might the Saints view a package that included, RB- Pierce, CB- Stingley, S- Pitre, and OT- Howard? Saints would be getting 3 players who just completed the first year of their rookie contracts, one who has a 5th year option, and a veteran OT. All 4 players would be easily replaced through the next 2 drafts and with FA’s.

Dude, you're higher than giraffe vagina.

I want a young and upcoming coach that has some fire in his belly that’s offensively aggressive unlike Culley and Lovie..,
Yep. This is why I think it is ultimately hopeless to expect the McNairs to ever understand how to build a champion. They don't know their limitations and appear to value their own judgement more then they do the football people they hire.

The inherent problem with any talent they bring here is not having an optimal situation to develop them to get better with the best coaches the owners can find.

I do not believe for a second that anyone is getting better under Lovie and Pep and the rest of them. I see regression, if anything.

Yeah i think Car stereo is willing to step back and just sit in the owner's suite and nod his head when cow [Cal .. cell phone Cal] speaks.

Those players too significant and remember no HC wants to give away assets that will help him succeed. Now OJ Howard We do not use anyway..

Wrong Howard.

I knew the commotion my post would make, but it’s a thought process.

What if Payton wants the job and the Saints ask for a similar package of picks given to teams that traded Belichick and Gruden?

How many of us would agree to 2- RD1, 2- RD2, a RD4, and/or a RD5 over the next 2 drafts?

Personally, I think Pierce, Stingley, and Pitre have bright futures in the NFL, but would their departure doom a Texans team with their full complement of picks in 2023 and 2024, excellent cap space, and Sean Payton?

Could Bijan Robinson or Zach Charbonnet replace Pierce? How about Antonio Johnson replacing Pitre? The thing is, the team doesn’t lose picks while gaining Payton. IMHO, Caserio and Payton could refill those spots with even better talent.

If Texans snag Payton I guarantee you they get a QB with #2 , #12 or #34.
I would prefer they get their quarterback after a trade down that brings a bus load of draft picks. I don't think I would trade either Young or Stroud to the Colts. Seattle a long time goal as a trade partner for me will probably extend Geno Smith.

Wrong Howard.

What if Payton wants the job and the Saints ask for a similar package of picks given to teams that traded Belichick and Gruden?

How many of us would agree to 2- RD1, 2- RD2, a RD4, and/or a RD5 over the next 2 drafts?

Personally, I think Pierce, Stingley, and Pitre have bright futures in the NFL, but would their departure doom a Texans team with their full complement of picks in 2023 and 2024, excellent cap space, and Sean Payton?

Could Bijan Robinson or Zach Charbonnet replace Pierce? How about Antonio Johnson replacing Pitre? The thing is, the team doesn’t lose picks while gaining Payton. IMHO, Caserio and Payton could refill those spots with even better talent.

I'm not agreeable to the level of compensation you're describing at all.
But for the sake of debate I'd rather keep those players over keeping the picks.
All three players have proven to be starting caliber.
The picks are a crap shoot

Wrong Howard.

I Understand your post and unlike others encourage you to Post such scenarios as it often causes more conversation and thought. I think the highest I want to go is the Cleveland pick in 2024 round 1 for Payton.

I would prefer they get their quarterback after a trade down that brings a bus load of draft picks. I don't think I would trade either Young or Stroud to the Colts. Seattle a long time goal as a trade partner for me will probably extend Geno Smith.
Carstereo might bring in a vet to partner with Mills but I am convinced he will draft an exciting prospect as well to generate some excitement and boost sales.

Wrong Howard.

I would offer Stingley, 2-33 and 4-103, plus a 2024 2nd for Payton.

Now, Sean could hardball the Saints b/c they gave him the green light to interview for a NFL HC job. If Saints want to much from his new team…..Sean could always threaten to sit in 2023 and then take the job in 2024 which would leave the Saints empty-handed and his new employer bridging the job for a season….maybe with one of his chosen coaches. So we could see how that plays out once talks get serious enough.

This is a real factor. Payton doesn't want to lose draft picks for his rebuild. His leverage over the Saints is he could sit another year, and the Saints get nothing. But the Saints desperately need picks right now. They'd probably agree on a 2nd in 2023.

The biggest plus to bringing in Payton is that he gives the entire organization a credibility that is hasn't had in a long time.

Sure, for one off-season. The he'll be judged by wins and losses like every other coach, including first time head coaches. If anything, he'll be expected to win sooner than some unproven coach.

Hopefully the optics and marketing viability are the least of their concerns for hiring a head coach. That's how they ended up with Lovie.

Sure, for one off-season. The he'll be judged by wins and losses like every other coach, including first time head coaches. If anything, he'll be expected to win sooner than some unproven coach.

Hopefully the optics and marketing viability are the least of their concerns for hiring a head coach. That's how they ended up with Lovie.
And if picks are given up, the expectations will be even higher

If it takes considerable draft assets to get Payton, I think a young coordinator is better for us. We don't have a whole lot of talent, and need picks to build.

If we were a team that was a coach away from contention, Peyton would be my first choice.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Sean Payton contract, explained: Why Saints could get serious draft pick compensation with NFL return
Kevin Skiver
01-08-2023•4 min read

***************************************************************************************************

Before Peyton comes back to another team, the question realistically must be asked..............the same question that came up with Belichick and Brady........................Did Payton make Brees, or did Brees make Payton? At this point, no one can say that they know for sure. Therefore, I'd be a little guarded to give up any significant draft future to NO.

I disagree. I think regardless of his record he'd give them a credibility in the league they haven't had in a while as long as he is HC.

This is a real factor. Payton doesn't want to lose draft picks for his rebuild. His leverage over the Saints is he could sit another year, and the Saints get nothing. But the Saints desperately need picks right now. They'd probably agree on a 2nd in 2023.

Apparently, compensation has been agreed to before the request granted.

Sean Payton contract, explained: Why Saints could get serious draft pick compensation with NFL return
Kevin Skiver
01-08-2023•4 min read

***************************************************************************************************

Before Peyton comes back to another team, the question realistically must be asked..............the same question that came up with Belichick and Brady........................Did Payton make Brees, or did Brees make Payton? At this point, no one can say that they know for sure. Therefore, I'd be a little guarded to give up any significant draft future to NO.

I've never been a fan of the 'who made who' debate. It always sounds like an either/or fallacy. Perhaps, just maybe, they 'made' each other.

The HC-QB relationship has always been of significant importance in the league, but now more than ever it seems. And I don't believe Brady would've been the Brady we've come to know without Belichick as much as Belichick wouldn't come to be the Belichick we know without Brady. Same rings true to me for Payton and Brees. Same could be said for Walsh/Montana, and at least a handful of other noteworthy combos.

If Payton had been stuck with an Aaron Brooks led QB carousel in NO he likely wouldn't be as highly regarded as he is today. But likewise if Brees had been traded to Cleveland in '06 instead of NO we may have never heard of him again. HC's and QB's are intrinsically linked and dependent success-wise to one another.

Can Payton find another QB relationship like that? Who the hell knows. But if not I don't believe it'd be because he was never that good to begin with.

I guess my first preference is to hire a young, OC as HC. Having just looked at Kafka, Johnson and Steichen, for now, Steichen is my choice. Of the three, he has the most experience : four years as a QB coach and four years as an OC. And perhaps a deciding factor, he is the only one with coaching experience on the defensive side of the ball : two years as a defensive assistant.

Good info! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: JB

this is my thing…Shades of Bill Parcells with the cowboys…Jimmy Johnson with the Dolphins…Jimbo Fisher with A&M RIGHT NOW. Some fans here would be all excited b/c we’d have “credibility” again……whatever the hell that means and there’d be a short term boost of excitement for the fair-weather fans to want to go to games at NRG. Me? I’d be:yawn:…ok whatever. show me that you can produce the same without a HOF Qb..show me that you can develop a qb from the ground up b/c Brees was already a pro bowler by the time you got him.

Show me that you can win here.

Back