Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Do you actually believe this nonsense? Caserio could have fired Kelly himself. And if Culley didn't like it, he could've quit. And saved the McNairs $17 million.
I know there's a reason Caserio fired him and he said philosophical differences. I could definitely see Caserio wanting to move on from Culley after he said Kelly definitely would be back and Caserio said, I tell you what, neither of y'all will be back.

This doesn't even take into account Calhoun may have wanted to get rid of Culley. I mean, if Calhoun is going to hire HCs then I wouldn't put it past Calhoun to fire HCs.

Just remember nothing has changed down on Kirby. The only thing that may change is the guy picking the players looks like he's better at it than previous GM's.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He did. Agree to disagree

New GM, New HC, New QB all in 2021... clock is running. We're already on HC #2 & sounds like Cal is getting impatient.
So Caserio wanted to hire Lovie

He's not going to be on the clock until he gets 1 full draft, probably 2.

It's like you want a winner next year and that ain't gonna happen. Rebuilds take time.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So Caserio wanted to hire Lovie
Wasn't his first choice, I'm sure of that. Neither was Gannon.

I think he wanted to hire someone to put over Lovie & Pep. Remember, he hired Lovie & Pep. Culley did not. He wanted a Tomlin to put over them. Gannon was not that guy.

I absolutely do not believe GameBoy came up with the idea to promote Lovie all on his own.

He's not going to be on the clock until he gets 1 full draft, probably 2.
In whatever world you live in I'm sure that's the way it is. But in the reality the rest of us live, he was on the clock the minute he boarded that private jet on a one-way trip to the H.

It's like you want a winner next year and that ain't gonna happen. Rebuilds take time.
I don't see the Bengals, Rams, Cardinals, Dolphins, or even the Jags giving freebies to guys they're paying millions of dollars to waste year after year.

I'm not expecting a Super Bowl in 2022, but I am expecting to build on what was done in 2021.

If 2022 is a step forward from 2021, then 2023, when you say the cap will be squared, the Texans will be ready to become relevant.

Texansballer74

The Marine
What exactly was done in 2021 to build on? I mean other than putting all hopes on Mills turning out to be at least decent.

29 players hit free agency. That’s 55% of the roster. Not much there to build on as far as I can see.
The continued growth in Mills, that make shift offensive line and better chemistry for that offensive unit as a whole.

Even though the defense wasn’t top notch, they also showed a lot of potential and promise. Remember you said they wasn’t talented. So let’s take that into account. Let’s also take into account the offense early on in several games could not get past the 50 yard line. The defense actually played some solid football. They were forcing turnovers and were competing in a lot of games. So now, hopefully in this years draft, we would add very talented players on both sides of the ball. Maybe they could get lucky and acquire a few stud players through FA or maybe through a Watson trade.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The continued growth in Mills, that make shift offensive line and better chemistry for that offensive unit as a whole.

Even though the defense wasn’t top notch, they also showed a lot of potential and promise. Remember you said they wasn’t talented. So let’s take that into account. Let’s also take into account the offense early on in several games could not get past the 50 yard line. The defense actually played some solid football. They were forcing turnovers and were competing in a lot of games. So now they hopefully in this years draft, we would add very talented players on both sides of the ball. Maybe they could get lucky and acquire a few stud players through FA or maybe through a Watson trade.
Hopefully they add star level players through the draft. No stud fa will be coming to Kirby this year. The record hopefully will be just as bad next year as it was this year so they can stack back to back yrs of high end talent from the draft together, since they aren't going to win a SB next year.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I think he wanted to hire someone to put over Lovie & Pep. Remember, he hired Lovie & Pep. Culley did not. He wanted a Tomlin to put over them. Gannon was not that guy.

I absolutely do not believe GameBoy came up with the idea to promote Lovie all on his own.

In whatever world you live in I'm sure that's the way it is. But in the reality the rest of us live, he was on the clock the minute he boarded that private jet on a one-way trip to the H.

I don't see the Bengals, Rams, Cardinals, Dolphins, or even the Jags giving freebies to guys they're paying millions of dollars to waste year after year.

I'm not expecting a Super Bowl in 2022, but I am expecting to build on what was done in 2021.

If 2022 is a step forward from 2021, then 2023, when you say the cap will be squared, the Texans will be ready to become relevant.
I think you underestimate Calhoun the same way posters used to say his daddy was a hands off owner.

I live in a realistic world. One where people realize that you can't rebuild a team in 2 years, particularly when you don't have 1st/2nd Rd draft picks in yr 1.

If they aren't going to win a SB I want them to be bad another year, so they can add more premium talent through the draft. Going 8-9 next year would be a big setback for me rebuild.

Like I've always said everything should be done with 2024 in me mind. I really don't care what the record is going to be next yr.

We're have different views on how a teams should be built and how to go about building a long term winner. You gotta suffer a little before you can build a winner.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I believe O’Connell was Caserio’s target all along….and could probably see the ink drying on the contract after the SB…..until the Vikings decided they wanted him more than Caserio. Vikings just had more to offer, so who could blame O’Connell for hitching his wagon to them?

With O’Connell off the radar and time being tight, I think Caserio, Cal, and maybe Easterby had a pow-wow and decided that Lovie would be the safe bet b/c of his immediate knowledge of the roster. I believe the only hurdle they had to jump with getting Lovie on board with this move was his willingness to give the offensive reins to Pep. Lovie surely knew this was going to be propositioned to him when Pep turned down other interviews to stay with Houston.

I had hopes for O’Connell but I’m okay with Lovie since he’ll keep his focus on the defense while Pep is permitted to implement his offensive scheme. I believe Caserio has a strong defensive mind in Lovie and a HC the players will respect and outside of being HC, he has the same thing with Pep and the offense.

Caserio’s job…..get these coaches some solid talent to take the second step in the rebuilding process. Contrary to how some view his 2021 draft…..I believe his 5 picks (entire draft) in the 2021 NFL Draft will all play out their first contracts with the Texans. This would be an absolute first in Texans history. If this team wins 4 games this season and eliminates shut outs while staying competitive for 17 weeks….I’d take that as a positive step in the right direction and another solid draft position heading into the 2023 NFL Draft.

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
This doesn't even take into account Calhoun may have wanted to get rid of Culley.
Cal didn't want to get rid of Culley and pay $22 million for one season. You could see the look on Cal's face during the last game that he was unhappy about what they were about to do. Nick and Jack went to Cal to get Culley fired, each for their own reasons. And it was the right thing, because Culley was terrible and had lost the locker room.

Nick's "philosophical differences" remark was ludicrous. No one wanted to admit the huge error they made and that Culley was completely over his head as an NFL head coach.

I don't know why Gannon wasn't hired...
Gannon wanted to bring his own defense and DC, but Cal wanted to keep Lovie. So, Cal kept Lovie.

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

Even though the defense wasn’t top notch, they also showed a lot of potential and promise. Remember you said they wasn’t talented. So let’s take that into account. Let’s also take into account the offense early on in several games could not get past the 50 yard line. The defense actually played some solid football. They were forcing turnovers and were competing in a lot of games. So now, hopefully in this years draft, we would add very talented players on both sides of the ball. Maybe they could get lucky and acquire a few stud players through FA or maybe through a Watson trade.
Saying they’re not talented meaning not talented enough to compete for anything. There’s some talent just to be on an NFL roster, but they only had the talent of a bottom feeding team. A lot of their starting “talent” wouldn’t be starting on other NFL teams.

Again, most of the hope is that Mills turns out to something. As for the rest of it, nothing has changed, and with 29 FAs, (28 with Burkhead re-signing), they’re actually worse off at this moment than they were on Jan. 9. Yes, I realize free agency and a full draft are yet to come, but right now, they are still “talentless”.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
So McCown wasn't the top choice because he wasn't hired. Do you think McCown was Caserio's pick and Cal told him no? I dont believe this.

Cal overruling the guy he hired to run the football opps is what my problem with this situation is and proof nothing has changed down on Kirby. For God's sake Cal, you hired Caserio to do a job. Let him do his freaking job. If he succeeds he succeeds, if he fails he fails but atleast you've got football people making football decisions.
If he fails Cal is the one out the money, Caserio's contract is guaranteed as long as he's not fired for cause. Steel I seem to recall you saying once you were a business owner, well for a business owner you sure have a very hands off approach and a lot of trust in people that really the jury is still out on. Don't get me wrong, I like the job Caserio is doing and agree he needs the freedom to do his job, but he also just cost the McNairs 22 million dollars for a one year coach so I can understand Cal not giving him free reign with no oversight.

I recall something Vince McMahon once said when they asked him why he had final say on everything "My belt, my TV time, my company, my money, my ass."

OptimisticTexan

If he fails Cal is the one out the money, Caserio's contract is guaranteed as long as he's not fired for cause. Steel I seem to recall you saying once you were a business owner, well for a business owner you sure have a very hands off approach and a lot of trust in people that really the jury is still out on. Don't get me wrong, I like the job Caserio is doing and agree he needs the freedom to do his job, but he also just cost the McNairs 22 million dollars for a one year coach so I can understand Cal not giving him free reign with no oversight.

I recall something Vince McMahon once said when they asked him why he had final say on everything "My belt, my TV time, my company, my money, my ass."
I don’t think Caserio was at Kirby slamming his fist on the conference table for Culley. For all intensive purposes Cal, Easterby, and Caserio decided to find a bridge coach for the start of the teams overhaul. They decided to bring Culley on board to hopefully sway Watson’s stand on leaving the Texans. Culley would also be viewed as someone who could usher in a culture change in Houston. In the end; Watson still wanted out of Houston, the culture change got out of the gate strong but fizzled, then fired up down the stretch. In the end, Culley made far to many mistakes as a first year HC, Tunsil didn’t want to return to the field (which may have been held against him) and Culley stood firmly on his endorsement of Kelly. So Culley is out and Lovie is in….just hoping for the best as Lovie.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Cal didn't want to get rid of Culley and pay $22 million for one season. You could see the look on Cal's face during the last game that he was unhappy about what they were about to do. Nick and Jack went to Cal to get Culley fired, each for their own reasons. And it was the right thing, because Culley was terrible and had lost the locker room.

Nick's "philosophical differences" remark was ludicrous. No one wanted to admit the huge error they made and that Culley was completely over his head as an NFL head coach.

Gannon wanted to bring his own defense and DC, but Cal wanted to keep Lovie. So, Cal kept Lovie.
Agreed, do you think Culley was hired to be the long term HC? Or just be on Kirby for 2-3 yrs?

That's exactly what I think happened with the Lovie hiring.

Calhoun once again not letting his football oops guy run the football side of things. I expect more of what we've seen over the last 2 decades from a McNair run org . I was hoping things would change with Calhoun in charge, but obviously that isn't going to happen.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What exactly was done in 2021 to build on? I mean other than putting all hopes on Mills turning out to be at least decent.

29 players hit free agency. That’s 55% of the roster. Not much there to build on as far as I can see.
The coaching, indoctrination, & the other processes we don't see, but contribute to the overall product on the field.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Except McMahon actually earned his money and knows what he is doing.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think you underestimate Calhoun the same way posters used to say his daddy was a hands off owner.
I do not underestimate his ability to overrule Caserio. I believe he is totally capable of doing it. I do not believe he would come up with the idea of promoting Lovie all on his own. I believe it was one of the options Caserio gave him.

We're have different views on how a teams should be built and how to go about building a long term winner. You gotta suffer a little before you can build a winner.
We've been suffering for a while now. I'm definitely disappointed with the way Nick has started this rebuild. If you're right, then we just wasted 2021 & are on track to waste 2022 & 2023.

I'd rather think the groundwork was laid in 2021. Pep & Lovie. And 2022 is a continuation of it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I do not underestimate his ability to overrule Caserio. I believe he is totally capable of doing it. I do not believe he would come up with the idea of promoting Lovie all on his own. I believe it was one of the options Caserio gave him.

We've been suffering for a while now. I'm definitely disappointed with the way Nick has started this rebuild. If you're right, then we just wasted 2021 & are on track to waste 2022 & 2023.

I'd rather think the groundwork was laid in 2021. Pep & Lovie. And 2022 is a continuation of it.
Agree to disagree, why are you disappointed? Caserio didn't get to hire who he wanted to be the HC. If anything you should be disappointed in Cap and the fact that nothing has really changed down on Kirby.

He didn't have the draft capital or the cap space to lay a solid foundation last year. He might have gotten lucky with Mills/Collins but there's still a couple of drafts to be done correctly before a solid foundation will have been laid. Caserio still doesn't have much cap room to work with this off-season. But he will have plenty by next off-season. Not that Calhoun will let him use it on premium FA talent.

The Rams showed how to win a championship by using trades and getting premium FA. Do you think Calhoun will ever let Caserio run his team that way? I don't.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Caserio didn't get to hire who he wanted to be the HC.
This whole time, it appeared (to me anyway) that Caserio wanted to be intimately involved with hiring the coaching staff, just like he was with Culley.

If he picks Gannon, then Gannon decides he wants his own DC, then it's not really what Caserio wanted in the first place.

It's like going to buy a car & one of your criteria is a sunroof. Then the guy presents you a car without a sunroof. You start to compromise & get used to the idea of owning a car without a sunroof. Then your wife says, you really wanted that sunroof. I think we should slow down & find one with a sunroof.

That's what Cal did. imo

He didn't have the draft capital or the cap space to lay a solid foundation last year.
The foundation is in the coaching staff & "the process"

Caserio still doesn't have much cap room to work with this off-season.
That's completely his fault. One of the reasons for which I'm disappointed.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The coach is hired, let's move on from the process already.
I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of team they field with Lovie. Hopefully one of those strong defensive teams that get turnovers and set up opportunities with special teams.

His interviews kind of remind me of Kubiak, and that's probably just a Texas origin that's devoted a life to football. At this point, I think this team needs someone like that to guide them back to the fundamentals of focusing on football and away from all the off-field drama and whatever other distractions are going on with the front office.

I'm not sure how much I would have been looking forward to a McCown team other than the clown show entertainment aspect of it, but none of that really appeals to me as a football fan.

It does seem that Lovie being on the staff was a given based on recent comments from Nick and Lovie about the HC search evaluation and interview process.

Which is then safe to assume that whatever HC is hired, a condition is placed that they have Lovie as a DC. And really, if we're honest, that's just another form of front office dysfunction when compared to how successful teams usually do it. Maybe it should surprise nobody that their interview list was so short. I have to wonder how many just quietly turned them down to interview based on their conditions.

Porky

Hall of Fame

I live in a realistic world. One where people realize that you can't rebuild a team in 2 years, particularly when you don't have 1st/2nd Rd draft picks in yr 1.

If they aren't going to win a SB I want them to be bad another year, so they can add more premium talent through the draft. Going 8-9 next year would be a big setback for me rebuild.

Like I've always said everything should be done with 2024 in me mind. I really don't care what the record is going to be next yr.

Why do you think calling people by their name is an insult? If you want an insult name it has to be original. I am going with Cal Dung. Now that’s a proper insult.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
The coaching, indoctrination, & the other processes we don't see, but contribute to the overall product on the field.
Well, last year's coaches are gone for the most part. So that's not building off anything they did in 2021, other than completely starting over...again.

And we sure thought the o-line would be improved just with Devlin gone, but they may have gotten worse with Campen. Or maybe they just aren't good from the get go, and coaching doesn't really do much, you know, like for most of this team.

You can have all the coaching, indoctrination and other processes you want, until they get players in here, it doesn't mean much. And let's face it, Lovie isn't here long term, so again, what exactly are they building on?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I have to wonder how many just quietly turned them down to interview based on their conditions.
Plenty, to be sure. And it's not because they thought that Lovie sucks as a DC. It just highlights control issues inside the organization. Few want to be a part of this mess. I'm certain that Lovie was absolutely the best head coach these guys could come up with.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Why do you think calling people by their name is an insult? If you want an insult name it has to be original. I am going with Cal Dung. Now that’s a proper insult.
I'm not looking to insult him

I'm calling him by his royal name and make no mistake that he's king of the Texans org.

I call Derrick his given name instead of what I would like to call him because members I respect asked me not to refer to him for what he really is a POS/Sexual Predator.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This whole time, it appeared (to me anyway) that Caserio wanted to be intimately involved with hiring the coaching staff, just like he was with Culley.

If he picks Gannon, then Gannon decides he wants his own DC, then it's not really what Caserio wanted in the first place.

It's like going to buy a car & one of your criteria is a sunroof. Then the guy presents you a car without a sunroof. You start to compromise & get used to the idea of owning a car without a sunroof. Then your wife says, you really wanted that sunroof. I think we should slow down & find one with a sunroof.

That's what Cal did. imo

The foundation is in the coaching staff & "the process"

That's completely his fault. One of the reasons for which I'm disappointed.
Not going to get into the car analysis.

The foundation is the talent, no amount of coaching can make up for a lack of talent.

Cap doesn't matter this off-season or probably next either, no top tier fa's want to come to Kirby. This doesn't mean Caserio couldn't add talented but unproven guys like Mack/Jeff Wilson/DeEarnest Johnson or Allie-Cox, Dwelley or James Washington on the cheap.

2 Fa's I would really like Caserio to sign on the cheap are Jabril Peppers and Malik Hooker. Sign those 2 guys and Allie-Cox, Wilson and that would be a great fa off-season. IMHO

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Cap doesn't matter this off-season or probably next either, no top tier fa's want to come to Kirby. This doesn't mean Caserio couldn't add talented but unproven guys like Mack/Jeff Wilson/DeEarnest Johnson or Allie-Cox, Dwelley or James Washington on the cheap.
Do the math. Most of those guys are pipe dreams.

Texian

Hall of Fame

The foundation is the talent, no amount of coaching can make up for a lack of talent.

2 Fa's I would really like Caserio to sign on the cheap are Jabril Peppers and Malik Hooker. Sign those 2 guys and Allie-Cox, Wilson and that would be a great fa off-season. IMHO
The Admin is a bottom fisher.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club

I never thought Id see the day that you wanted to keep Watson around.

Admit it, you just want Malik Hooker so Watson will see his last name and want to stick around in the confusion.

Dejaview

All Pro

So you say NC wanted to put someone over Lovie and Pep. Baloney. Last year Culley chose Lovie. NC has already stated he never really knew Lovie until last year. So you think he hired a coach last year he didn’t know, lol. That’s the crap that just never ends here. NC is giving these coaches discretion on who to hire. Look at Lovie this year. Did NC tell him he is going to be the HC AND DC? Did NC tell him Pep will be OC? Pep and Lovie go way back. Did NC hire Lovie’s friend for OL line coach? And according to some posts on this board Gannon fell out because he wanted to hire his own coaches vs NC hiring them. Maybe, just maybe there is more to this than what people want to admit.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Well, last year's coaches are gone for the most part. So that's not building off anything they did in 2021, other than completely starting over...again.

And we sure thought the o-line would be improved just with Devlin gone, but they may have gotten worse with Campen. Or maybe they just aren't good from the get go, and coaching doesn't really do much, you know, like for most of this team.

You can have all the coaching, indoctrination and other processes you want, until they get players in here, it doesn't mean much. And let's face it, Lovie isn't here long term, so again, what exactly are they building on?
As much as Devlin has been maligned here, he has always been considered an admirable Oline coach. So has Campen. Part of the problem has been questionable talent, while the other part has been that some of the players were just not a good fit for the offensive scheme.

OptimisticTexan

Love these interviews, man. The more I hear from Lovie, the more I like him. And really the more it makes me start to look forward to next football season just to see the improvement and where this is all headed. I feel like we have two football men running this franchise now.
Great interview!!!! Let’s just hope Caserio can get these coaches some talent to work with.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
So which one of you was Patrick that Lovie called? :kitten:

On a serious note there seems to be a lot more ceremony and build up to Lovie’s hire than there was Culley. That may just be because of lowering of covid restrictions but I’m hoping it’s because they think he will be here longer.

Porky

Hall of Fame
His likability is off the charts high. Polar opposite of BOB who was grating, putting it kindly. That said I don’t know if he is in tune with the modern game. His teams rarely had a good offense. I don’t know If Pep is the answer but I was tired of bitching about Kelly so now I can ***** about Pep.

I don’t see Lovie taking us to the promised land but he is miles ahead of Culley in every conceivable way. If he can at least get this team to respectability by 2023, that will be a big step in the right direction. From there…is he the guy that can lead this team to be a real contender? I say doubtful but willing to give him plenty of leash to find out.

OptimisticTexan

His likability is off the charts high. Polar opposite of BOB who was grating, putting it kindly. That said I don’t know if he is in tune with the modern game. His teams rarely had a good offense. I don’t know If Pep is the answer but I was tired of bitching about Kelly so now I can ***** about Pep.

I don’t see Lovie taking us to the promised land but he is miles ahead of Culley in every conceivable way. If he can at least get this team to respectability by 2023, that will be a big step in the right direction. From there…is he the guy that can lead this team to be a real contender? I say doubtful but willing to give him plenty of leash to find out.
He got the Bears to the SB….with Rex Grossman and an awesome defense. Patience will be needed here in Houston since they’re starting near rock bottom and probably need a couple of seasons to even begin to sniff the talent levels of Chicago.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

Posting in this thread also...full coaching staff

Dejaview

All Pro
Age is just a number. Lovie looks more fit than me, & I'm not 50

But when you say long term, what are you thinking? 6 years? 4 years?

Right now I'm just looking for a coach that can turn this thing around. I'm more confident that Lovie can do that than any of the "finalists"

Hopefully he can turn this into a winning team. If we don't believe he can get us to the next level, true contenders... move on.

He's like Mills. I don't think Mills is a Championship level QB. But until I see that Championship QB, I'm going to roll with Mills.
Ok, I’m off topic and I’d rather respond to this in the right thread but I am really impressed when I’ve read the bio’s of our full coaching staff at the breadth of connection between them or between them and Lovie. These guys are all on the same page which is going to improve communication. Lovie KNOWS how to assemble a coaching staff….and players are going to want to be a part of it. Just watch. Doesn’t equate to wins but we’ve never had a first step like this in my memory since the Bum years. And I believe Davis fits their mold perfectly Like Pastorini did Bums’.

Texian

Hall of Fame
No Josh McCown anywhere on staff. Tell me again why this jackhole got 3 interviews for HC?
Because at the time it was a 3-ring circus. The circus has since gone under a renovation and now there is only one ring and one ringmaster. His name is Lovie Smith. Cal has since gone back into hibernation with game controller in hand.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
Ok, I’m off topic and I’d rather respond to this in the right thread but I am really impressed when I’ve read the bio’s of our full coaching staff at the breadth of connection between them or between them and Lovie. These guys are all on the same page which is going to improve communication. Lovie KNOWS how to assemble a coaching staff….and players are going to want to be a part of it. Just watch. Doesn’t equate to wins but we’ve never had a first step like this in my memory since the Bum years. And I believe Davis fits their mold perfectly Like Pastorini did Bums’.
I agree. I don't like the process of how we got here, but I like the coaching staff with Lovie and what he has put together. I only wish that Lovie would have been the hire last year, instead of Culley.