Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

I find it strange that the media hasn't caught and run with something that Caserio revealed in his press conference.............that he never knew anything about Lovie before he was hired...........that's simply because Cal made the hire, not Caserio.
My understanding was that Culley mentioned Lovie as a possibility for his staff & Caserio brought him in to interview for DC, not HC.

How does Cal know Lovie?

I've confirmed with my sources that Caserio definitely wanted and was lobying for Gannon..............and Easterby was in Cal's ear for McCown. Cal did not want to deal with the backlash of McCown after the Flores lawsuit. Gannon understandably being a defensive coach, wanted to bring in his own DC. Cal would not allow Lovie being displaced. Likewise, if Flores was to be hired, he would have also gotten rid of Lovie because he would have gone back to his 3-4 D.

A most interesting thing in these latest revelations was that Gannon would have wanted to bring Muchak in with him as OL coach.

My understanding was that Culley mentioned Lovie as a possibility for his staff & Caserio brought him in to interview for DC, not HC.

How does Cal know Lovie?
Cal spent quite a bit of time with Lovie through his father, who interviewed Lovie for HC. Cal was also attracted to his Christian values.

It seems that Cal cannot make independent decisions............he has relied on his father for the Lovie hiring..............he has relied on his father for the Caserio hire. Unfortunately he cannot get out of the way and let his GM make the decisions that Caserio should make.

I've confirmed with my sources that Caserio definitely wanted and was lobying for Gannon..............and Easterby was in Cal's ear for McCown. Cal did not want to deal with the backlash of McCown after the Flores lawsuit. Gannon understandably being a defensive coach, wanted to bring in his own DC. Cal would not allow Lovie being displaced. Likewise, if Flores was to be hired, he would have also gotten rid of Lovie because he would have gone back to his 3-4 D.

A most interesting thing in these latest revelations was that Gannon would have wanted to bring Muchak in with him as OL coach.
Perfect example of the dysfunction in this organization and why we could be the Lions for the next decade or more.

I don't have much trust in Caserio at the moment, but part of that may have to do with him being handcuffed like in this scenario. Cal doesn't know shit about football and if he's going to bring in his daddy's football guy (Caserio), then let him do his damn job. Oh, but wait, that Pastor guy behind the curtain who's not supposed to have much say anymore, and who also doesn't know shit about football, still seems to be disrupting the process.

Well, I don't know about that. I like the Lovie hire better than Gannon. So from that standpoint I see Cal preventing his GM from making another mistake.

Not that I think it matters much with the situation the Texans are in, but under normal circumstances, I'd rather take a shot on a younger guy working his way through the ranks, than a guy near the end and who really hasn't been relevant for a decade or more.

Not that I think it matters much with the situation the Texans are in, but under normal circumstances, I'd rather take a shot on a younger guy working his way through the ranks, than a guy near the end and who really hasn't been
I admit my thinking is all jacked up. Trying to figure out what Caserio is really doing. I see Lovie & Pep as part of the plan Caserio started last year.

I could definitely be wrong about that. I guess I still haven't accepted the extent of the waste last season was.

Last edited:
I find it strange that the media hasn't caught and run with something that Caserio revealed in his press conference.............that he never knew anything about Lovie before he was hired...........that's simply because Cal made the hire, not Caserio.
And like I said, good deal. Cal finally grew a pair. All this back and forth between Caserio and the Pastor was too much. They couldn’t make up their minds, so Cal made the decision for them.

I admit my thinking is all jacked up. Trying to figure out what Caserio is really doing. I see Lovie & Pep as part of the plan Caserio started last year.

I could definitely be wrong about that. I guess I still haven't accepted the extent of the waste last season was.
The issue is Cal given The Pastor too much say. And the fact that The Pastor helped Caserio to land this GM job. Makes things a little complicated over there on Kirby.

And like I said, good deal. Cal finally grew a pair. All this back and forth between Caserio and the Pastor was too much. They couldn’t make up their minds, so Cal made the decision for them.
The only decision Cal should be making is letting his football guy do his job. And no, Cal hasn't grown a pair of anything if the Pastor is in the mix about anything football related. Cal says he trusts Caserio, well, freaking prove it. Let the man do his damn job.

The only decision Cal should be making is letting his football guy do his job. And no, Cal hasn't grown a pair of anything if the Pastor is in the mix about anything football related. Cal says he trusts Caserio, well, freaking prove it. Let the man do his damn job.
The same person telling you Cal made the decision is telling you Easterby had nothing to do with nothing.

He made a decision we all knows he usually won’t make. He’s always let these folks run all over them. And you know my stance on this entire situation here in Houston. You should also know I’m not a fan of Cal McNair and the way he’s handling things over there on Kirby.

To me it is looking like Cal made a smart move.

Flores vs Lovie

Easy defense for Texans.

I would challenge you to find a post of mine that said Derrick would fail because of the Hopkins trade.
Just a quick search for blankey and I don't see any predictions that trading Hopkins would be a good thing for Derrick. Just the usual covering of all bases. However, based on your opinions, it's not a stretch to think you expected him to fail without his blankey. Do you have a post where you predicted he would have success without Hopkins?

One things for sure DW4's going to have to grow since he's lost his blankey.

Difference is DW4's going into yr 4 and was better as a rookie than he is today. But yes, I have hope DW4 will be forced to improve now that he's lost his blankey. BTW, how much more patience are you willing to give DW4 along with 35-40 mil per yr? 4 more yrs/5 more? etc...

I've always taken into account all receiving targets and actually cut the Pervert a break his 1st couple of yrs in the league because I thought he would learn. I didn't realize how dumb he really is.

Just a quick search for blankey and I don't see any predictions that trading Hopkins would be a good thing for Derrick. Just the usual covering of all bases. However, based on your opinions, it's not a stretch to think you expected him to fail without his blankey. Do you have a post where you predicted he would have success without Hopkins?
Dude fail to realize it takes some quarterbacks years to improve on their games. He also fail to take into account that he just came off a season ending injury. So he wasn’t going to be mentally ready. Then throw in the fact that O’Brien went away from what he was running in year one with Watson and back to his crappy offense.

There is plenty to blame Cal for but this was a no win situation as soon as Flores put out his lawsuit. Hiring Gannon or Mccown would have brought even more unnecessary baggage to this organization. I tend to think (hope) Caserio would have won out between him and Easterby and we would’ve taken Gannon.

But as it stood with the lawsuit, Lovie was the right hire. And he has already gone through the “growing pains” of being an NFL HC. Maybe he’ll surprise us and turn out to be the best choice afterall.

There is plenty to blame Cal for but this was a no win situation as soon as Flores put out his lawsuit. Hiring Gannon or Mccown would have brought even more unnecessary baggage to this organization. I tend to think (hope) Caserio would have won out between him and Easterby and we would’ve taken Gannon.

But as it stood with the lawsuit, Lovie was the right hire. And he has already gone through the “growing pains” of being an NFL HC. Maybe he’ll surprise us and turn out to be the best choice afterall.
If this is why Lovie is the coach I can understand why people are upset.

My sources tell me all yall are full of sh!t. LOL
I'm not sure why people with sources inside the team bother talking to us simple fans. I have absolutely nothing to offer them. And when I'm wrong about something they just correct me...ahhh, now I know why they show up here.

The back and forth was between Easterby and Cal. Caserio made his choice.

Not from what I heard. You have your source and I have mines Doc.

You know you could be both right.

Caserio and Easterby probably did go back and forth with Gannon vs McCown. Then they took it to Cal. Cal heard both sides for a while because his gut couldn’t make him pull the trigger on McCown.

Then the lawsuit happened.

Then Cal said forget the both of you I am going with Lovie. That created the back and forth with Cal vs Easterby because Easterby thought he was close to having McCown. Caserio stayed out of it so Easterby could take all the fire and (fingers crossed) get on Cal’s bad side. Cal said it would be Lovie and case closed. Owner decision. (Hannah has done a good job giving him some confidence.)

I don’t have any sources but I think y’all are both right at one point or another.

Let me point out nowhere did I say I wanted him to fail. What I said and these quotes were taken out of context. When I used the word blankey I meant he would have to learn how to read defenses better. He did get better after Hopkins left. IMHO

Do you know who Gannon wanted to bring in as DC?

Let me point out nowhere did I say I wanted him to fail. What I said and these quotes were taken out of context. When I used the word blankey I meant he would have to learn how to read defenses better. He did get better after Hopkins left. IMHO
Nowhere did you say you thought he would succeed either. Anyway, like I said previously, it's a pointless debate and it was not worth the effort for me to search this forum for your "blankey" posts.

Nowhere did you say you thought he would succeed either. Anyway, like I said previously, it's a pointless debate and it was not worth the effort for me to search this forum for your "blankey" posts.
He switches up so much therefore he can easily say I didn’t say that or I told y’all I was correct. Lol

But back to the subject. Darn good hire and I hope Lovie and Company succeeds.

Last edited:
Cal spent quite a bit of time with Lovie through his father, who interviewed Lovie for HC. Cal was also attracted to his Christian values.

It seems that Cal cannot make independent decisions............he has relied on his father for the Lovie hiring..............he has relied on his father for the Caserio hire. Unfortunately he cannot get out of the way and let his GM make the decisions that Caserio should make.
It would appear that Cal is a pretty confused and insecure fellow, so his fathers passing must have been quite a jolt for him.

It would appear that Cal is a pretty confused and insecure fellow, so his fathers passing must have been quite a jolt for him.
Having struggled through the deaths of my mother and then a younger brother makes me have great empathy for what the McNairs were going through.

I still believe that his father's passing led to a leadership void in the organization. I don't have any insider info. However, looking from the outside, I can see Cal and Janice grieving and not devoting their full attention to the team and trusting Easterby and BOB to run the team. Unfortunately, Easterby and O'Brien selfishly took advantage of that leadership void and grief for their own personal career advancement and organizational power.

Last edited:

The dam has cracked. My reading of the Lovie press conference is Caserio has been neutered. This is now Lovie's team. However, Caserio is likely to be more comfortable working in this environment.

Last edited:
I find it a bit strange how some think Davis Mills had a very good year and showed promise as a franchise QB, while also saying that out of 32 OCs in the NFL, the Texans OC, Tim Kelly ranked 46th. :)

Last edited:
The damn has cracked. My reading of the Lovie press conference is Caserio has been neutered. This is now Lovie's team.
There's the de facto troll again doing his best with disparaging comments to undermine our confidance in our new GM.
But on the other hand, Lovie to be sure is more likely to have some things to say about Casserio's shopping activity in both the Draft and free agency,
which is a positive because I think most of us want the GM & HC to have a partnership.

It's actually not that difficult to judge on paper. Baseball statisticians use the Pythagorean Theorem to determine expected wins and losses via runs scored. The same can be done for football.

View attachment 9743

The Texans scored 280 points and allowed 452 points.

Expected record = 280²/(280² + 452²) x 17 = (78400/(78400+ 204304)) x 17

Texans Expected Record in 2021 = 4.7 wins - 12.3 losses.

Pretty close to their actual record of 4-13

The other teams that finished in the bottom 5 of record expected records:

Jags - 4.0 Wins - 13.0 Losses (3-14 actual)
Lions - 5.5 Wins - 11.5 Losses (3-13-1 actual)
Jets - 4.7 Wins - 12.3 Losses (4-13 actual)
Giants - 4.7 Wins - 12.3 Losses (4-13 actual)

So the Texans were about 4 TDs away from being the worst team in the NFL. So thank you Mark Ingram, Phillip Lindsay, and Anthony Miller. Your TDs kept the Texans from being the bottom of the barrel.

Impressive!

MathLady.jpg

Having to go struggle through the deaths of my mother and then a younger brother makes me have great empathy for what the McNairs were going through.

I still believe that his father's passing led to a leadership void in the organization. I don't have any insider info. However, looking from the outside, I can see Cal and Janice grieving and not devoting their full attention to the team and trusting Easterby and BOB to run the team. Unfortunately, Easterby and O'Brien selfishly took advantage of that leadership void and grief for their own personal career advancement and organizational power.

The inherent problem is Cal did not clean the entire house when he fired O'Brien. But, I guess he needed Jack to lean on and help him bring in Caserio considering Cal's known personality traits. And it sounds like Jack has worked his tentacles deep into the McNair family, so it'll probably take an exorcism to get him removed.

The dam has cracked. My reading of the Lovie press conference is Caserio has been neutered. This is now Lovie's team. However, Caserio is likely to be more comfortable working in this environment.

Hopefully what this does is focus the organization toward building a solid football team and away from the character building circle jerk that it's been lately. There's nothing wrong with considering a potential player's character in overall analysis and evaluation, but it should not be a primary consideration over talent.

Impressive!

View attachment 9753

The inherent problem is Cal did not clean the entire house when he fired O'Brien. But, I guess he needed Jack to lean on and help him bring in Caserio considering Cal's known personality traits. And it sounds like Jack has worked his tentacles deep into the McNair family, so it'll probably take an exorcism to get him removed.

Hopefully what this does is focus the organization toward building a solid football team and away from the character building circle jerk that it's been lately. There's nothing wrong with considering a potential player's character in overall analysis and evaluation, but it should not be a primary consideration over talent.

Yep

I took alot to get RS tentacles out of the McNair's. I imagine it will be even harder to remove Easterby's tentacles than it was RS.

Hope you're right and if they dont change the way they go about acquiring talent they will never be true contenders. I've been saying this since 2010. Remains to be seen if the McNair's will just let Caserio pick the best players possible.

With the recent additions to the coaching staff, it's pretty clear that this will be Lovie's staff. He's hiring guys he has worked with or has a connection to. Even if McCown joins the coaching staff, he can be labeled a Lovie guy. Lovie has known McCown longer than anyone in the organization.

This is how a football team should be organized. The head coach hires the staff, the GM brings in the players. With input from the coaching staff on what they need, not specifically whom they need. The final cut? That should be a collaboration between the GM and the head coach as contracts, performance, depth, and chemistry need to be considered.

Looking a little less dysfunctional on Kirby.

Back