Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

HC possibilities - Cowher is the current flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like the 3/4. Capers ruined it for me. It's kind of like cherry tomatoes. I got a really rotten cherry tomato one time and I haven't touched one since. It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I never want to take that chance again. Dom Capers 3/4 is that cherry tomato and I never want that taste in my mouth again.

I love Cohwer, but leave the 4/3 intact and continue to build out our D as it is currently structured. There is no need whatsoever to blow up the building when all it needs is a fresh coat of paint. :chef:

I don't like the 3/4. Capers ruined it for me. It's kind of like cherry tomatoes. I got a really rotten cherry tomato one time and I haven't touched one since. It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I never want to take that chance again. Dom Capers 3/4 is that cherry tomato and I never want that taste in my mouth again.

I love Cohwer, but leave the 4/3 intact and continue to build out our D as it is currently structured. There is no need whatsoever to blow up the building when all it needs is a fresh coat of paint. :chef:

You don't like the 3-4 defense just because Capers ran it bad in HOuston? That really makes a lot of sense, when there are a ton of teams that have ran it very well all over the league including the two best defenses every year in Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

Given the increasing popularity of the 3-4, there should be a surplus of 4-3 talent to be had at a discounted rate. For that reason alone, I'd prefer to stay in the 4-3. Add in the nature of our most talented defensive players, Mario and DeMeco specifically, and it's really a no-brainer.

That said, does anyone know what defense was run in Pittsburgh in the stint of LeBeau's absence, and by whom it was run?

Given the increasing popularity of the 3-4, there should be a surplus of 4-3 talent to be had at a discounted rate. For that reason alone, I'd prefer to stay in the 4-3. Add in the nature of our most talented defensive players, Mario and DeMeco specifically, and it's really a no-brainer.

That said, does anyone know what defense was run in Pittsburgh in the stint of LeBeau's absence, and by whom it was run?

I believe it was a 4-3, but I will check with a friend of mine who is from Pittsburgh.

Its simply not happening. That's why I never even let the thought of it happening enter my mind, and set myself up for a let down. I would so love to be wrong, but I doubt I am.

We've got six games left. The only way Kubiak ISN'T here next year is we lose four or five of them, and that's not going to happen. Face it, Kubiak is our head coach next year. Whether that's good, bad, or indifferent doesn't make a hill of beans. Might as well just accept it and go on.

I admit I'm a Super Homer. I supported Capers because I think that coach needs at least 3 years to something going. Revolving Doors don't work. I did turn on Capers eventually.

I have always liked Kubes, and still do. I think he can do. However I would love to have Cowher. However it would take Cowher years to get this team to the playoffs. He'd gut the O-Line, have to draft a couple of RB's, and don't get me started on the 3-4. It would take a lot of Free Agency moves and several drafts to get this team where it would need to be for him to be succesful. So careful what you wish for.

The Texans need to go at least 9-7 this year or I will be be scared. I think Kubes/Smith deserve one more draft to put this together. After that I'll jump on the fire Kubiak band wagon.

P.S. This team lost it's two starting gaurds, a Pro Bowl TE, and it's run game. If this would have happened 3 years ago, we would be 2-8 right now.

Its simply not happening. That's why I never even let the thought of it happening enter my mind, and set myself up for a let down. I would so love to be wrong, but I doubt I am.

I agree. However it is nice to think we would have a coach that would refuse to get beat down in his division year in and year out.

P.S. This team lost it's two starting gaurds, a Pro Bowl TE, and it's run game. If this would have happened 3 years ago, we would be 2-8 right now.

That's part of it, I'm sure, but not all of it. I do agree though with the bolded part.

I would just like to say a record below 8-8 and I think Gary will have an A to B conversation with the boss and then he'll C his way on out the door.

I admit I'm a Super Homer. I supported Capers because I think that coach needs at least 3 years to something going. Revolving Doors don't work. I did turn on Capers eventually.

I have always liked Kubes, and still do. I think he can do. However I would love to have Cowher. However it would take Cowher years to get this team to the playoffs. He'd gut the O-Line, have to draft a couple of RB's, and don't get me started on the 3-4. It would take a lot of Free Agency moves and several drafts to get this team where it would need to be for him to be succesful. So careful what you wish for.

The Texans need to go at least 9-7 this year or I will be be scared. I think Kubes/Smith deserve one more draft to put this together. After that I'll jump on the fire Kubiak band wagon.

How many years does it take? Seriously, this is Kubiak's FOURTH season. How much more time are we going to give him? If we go 8-8 this year, time for a new coach.

How many years does it take? Seriously, this is Kubiak's FOURTH season. How much more time are we going to give him? If we go 8-8 this year, time for a new coach.

You know Tom Landry didn't have a winning record until his 7th season? How things turn out for him and that team? So much pressure in todays game, sometimes ya let go of a good thing too early. Just ask the Browns.

Honestly, I think the Rooneys have as much to do with the Steelers' success as any coach they've hired. The guy who interests me much more is Mike Holmgren.

Would it really matter or make a difference if he were to go 9-7 instead of 8-8 in his 4th season? I don't see how that would make any big difference. If he can't go past 9-7 this season I think he should be axed. I don't want him back at all, but I could understand an improvement like 10-6 perhaps for wanting to keep the guy around.

Just fire everyone even the officer standing outside their lockeroom and the waterboy. Also, the cook's.

I agree. However it is nice to think we would have a coach that would refuse to get beat down in his division year in and year out.

Yes it is, how sweet that would be. :cool:

It seems every year with the Texans there is a quote or rumor that is taken and run with. The Texans have yet to make that holt sh!+ acquisition. Until they start being serious contenders in acquiring great players and coaches, instead of just "rumored" to be interested, I take all these rumors and quotes with a grain of salt.

Other then Shanhan or Cower what are some other names yall wouldnt mind ???? like under the radar guyz IF kubes had 2 go which i think he wont

Question for anyone of you. How much longer does Andy Reid have in Philly if they do not win the big game soon and does he fit the Texans style of play?

Yes it is, how sweet that would be. :cool:

It seems every year with the Texans there is a quote or rumor that is taken and run with. The Texans have yet to make that holt sh!+ acquisition. Until they start being serious contenders in acquiring great players and coaches, instead of just "rumored" to be interested, I take all these rumors and quotes with a grain of salt.

We build through the Draft and Get Medium to small Price F/A to fill in the holes the same succuessfuly formula The steelers use

We build through the Draft and Get Medium to small Price F/A to fill in the holes the same succuessfuly formula The steelers use

the Steelers have good coaching. big difference. we have bargain basement guys or red assed old dudes who think their s**t doesn't stink. Gibbs should be forced to talk to the media until he actually builds an OL that can run the ball on short yardage. You have to earn that level of eccentricity and privilege. He did well in Denver but this whole ZBS/'I'm a big puhcee' running game has to go.

Oh and can we please cut Myers? I did see Caldwell out there at times, thank freaking God. He must suck too to not beat out Myers but at least he is young and has an excuse. He might actually improve. Myers is total suckitude.

I agree with you on that, and its a good way to go. I would just like for the Texans to make a big move every once in awhile. I'm not talking making a big move just for the sake of doing it. If there was a big name player out on the FA market that fitted what the Texans needed at that point, it would just be nice to sing him.

Yes, the Texans need to make a big FA move. Our 'Reggie White with the Packers' type of move. Cowher could pull something like that off. Have Cowher come in and give him some money to work with to build a winner. 4-3 or 3-4. Okoye, Mario, and even Smith could play in a 3-4 alignment. They would need a NT but 2 of those 3 guys could be on the field but would probably mean one would have to go.

One things is for sure, Cowher wouldn't play scared like Kubiak does late in games. It is embarassing.

They had a timeout and :08 at the 31. Were they that worried about a turnover? Are you freaking kidding me. Why make your kicker take a 48 yarder to tie rather than try to make it easier or God forbid, take a shot deep. You have 8 seconds. And its not the first time he has played scared. It's like watching college football sometimes....just pathetic game management across the board.

Schaub needs to be held accountable too. You gotta be able to talk your HC out of stupid calls like that....and its not the first time he has been partly culpable in some of this game management. I am a huge Matt guy but he needs to take command in those situations. Getting the play off without calling the timeout is nice but if you are saving it to center the ball on the hashmarks? are you freaking kidding me. That cost us 10 seconds saving the timeout. Why save the timeout if Kubiak is going to just waste it.

Just simple simple football. Don't rely too much on your kicker especially if he has been kinda pants lately.

Last edited:
How would Cowher message Brown missing Field Goals? From 11/7/2001

snippet:
Through misfortune, the Steelers and Brown might find out just how strong they are as they attempt to recover from the loss to the Ravens. Although he can't predict the future, Cowher believes he already knows a lot about how his team will react when it next takes the field Sunday in Cleveland.

"It's a close football team," he said. "It's a very supportive football team. It's a focused team. It's a team that works very hard and takes a lot of pride. They've done that since they left that locker room in San Diego (after the last game of the 2000 season).

"I don't sense any kind of chink in the armor. Games like this, you find out about yourself. You find out how real your confidence is. If we have strong fiber, we're not going to unravel."

Brown, who stood up to a bevy of cameras and questions Sunday, appeared on his radio show Monday night and dutifully fulfilled a speaking engagement 35 miles north of Pittsburgh on his day off yesterday, spent time among those events to sit down for a meaningful discussion with his coach.

Cowher suggested that Brown take holder Josh Miller, long snapper Mike Schneck and a bag of footballs and "get back on the bike."

"I told him," Cowher said, "I thought he should go over there (to Heinz Field this) afternoon, 3 (o'clock) or 3:30, empty stadium, about the same time (of Sunday's game). Go over there, same spot on the field and go kick."

Maybe it's a sign of progress for a team that remains in first place in the AFC Central, but the hot topic of conversation surrounding the Steelers these days is the kicker.

Not Stewart. Not the wide receivers. After all, the passing game has been one of the most consistent elements about the team the past two weeks. But the little guy from Nebraska who seldom gets his uniform dirty is suddenly the most discussed player on the team.

Cowher said yesterday that he has not lost confidence in Brown, who missed as many field goals in one game as he missed during his entire rookie season in 1999.

"I'd be surprised if there are any lingering effects from it," Cowher said. "I can't foresee the future, but I know my confidence in him is not going to vary. If we get the ball to the 30-yard line, to me that's a minimum of three points.

"He's a very strong-minded guy. I have a lot of confidence in him. Sunday has not hindered my confidence in him at all."

Brown came into the game with a career 84.7 percent success rate on field goals. There has been speculation that the wind at Heinz Field or the deflected field goal earlier in the game might have affected him.

Cowher doubts that the wind was the major factor, and he said that Brown rejected the latter theory.

"The wind situation, I don't look at that as much as what effect did the block have?" Cowher said. "In Kris' mind, it had none. He had a very positive outlook everytime he went out there. It was just one of those things."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_2735.html

As he should be. This franchise should not have a revolving door for the head coach. Kubiak has turned this team into a winner with a winning attitude. Yeah, there have been a few tough breaks here and there this season, and it sucks and it's painful and all that. But we didn't lose those because of coaching. I say you have to stick with him.
uh 8-8 = winning season?
:kitten:

more.... from 1/24/2002

In the weeks since, when the Steelers were at home, Brown practiced at Heinz Field instead of the Steelers' practice facility.

Coach Bill Cowher, a former special-teams coach, had Brown attempt four field goals each day during unspecified points in practice, a trick he learned from the former Giants kicker Matt Bahr.

''It's been that kind of year,'' Brown said. ''I've hit some good kicks that just haven't gone through. The field, it presents challenges. It's been good going over there. Just from a mental standpoint, it's not the first time I've been there all week.''

Even during his worst stretch Brown enjoyed the support of his teammates. During the game against the Jets in early December, when Brown missed two field-goal attempts and an extra point, quarterback Kordell Stewart stood on the sideline, waving a towel, trying to encourage fans to cheer rather than boo when Brown went back on the field.

''I've been that lone ranger, that lonely, lonely ranger,'' Stewart said. ''I didn't have that support you would like to have.''

Last week against the Ravens, Brown made two of three field goals, missing a 35-yarder but making a 46-yarder. It was good enough to exorcise whatever demons might have lingered from the regular season.

''It was good therapy for me, I know that,'' Cowher said. ''He really has kicked the ball well. Even the one that he missed, that was probably the best kick of the three, to be honest with you. The first one wasn't the greatest looking ball that went through, but it went through. I think he's fine. I think he's back, I really do.''

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/24/s...heinz-field-living-in-a-swirl-of-trouble.html

uh 8-8 = winning season?
:kitten:

Well it's not a losing season I guess.

Although I'm growing impatient, I would rather have a team go 8-8 for three years with steady improvement in talent, and then have multiple years in the playoffs the go from the cellar to the playoffs back to the cellar for five years.

I think 15 years ago before the instant information age, we wouldn't have questioned as much, and more people would be happy with Kubiak.

I say give him one more year. If we cut him loose, and we were to go like 4-12, we'd always be looking back saying "maybe they were close with Kubiak".

I love Cohwer, but leave the 4/3 intact...
At this point, I could not care less what the Texans are schematically. I don't care if they are a 4-3, a 3-4, or any other number. I don't care if they run the freakin' wishbone. Just win. And that has a hellava lot more to do with attitude and determination that anything in a playbook.

Kubiak has 6 games to save his arse. I understand why fans (and the players) like Gary Kubiak. Hell, I like Gary Kubiak. I just don't believe in him as a head coach, any longer. He has 6 games to change the perception that he can't get this team over the hump. Another meaningless late season mini streak after elimination won't cut it. Kubiak's back is firmly against the wall.

I have no idea if the Texans have a shot at Bill Cowher. But if Bob McNair wants to become a great owner, he has to find out. And that's by writing the biggest check Cowher will see, to go with the most control of a franchise that is possible. McNair has to put it all on the line in pursuit of a coach that will give his franchise instant credibility. Let's find out if Bob McNair wants to become a champion.

Steelers are battling for a playoff spot too, just like we are.

ya wanna revisit that "good coaching "thingy again?

Steelers are not the same defense they are when they have Polamalo (spelling) in it all's dick lebeau to dial up a lot more exotic blitzes..

No doubt about this.

Two weeks ago, Kubiak was the man. Two losses later. People are shouting Bill Cowher's name. Just remember this: The Texans are two missed field goals away from being 6-3.

Not really. We would have to win it in overtime. Still, we're not 6-3, but 5-5. This team is too frustrating. We only had one real blowout loss. Every other loss has came from the one-yard line or a missed field goal. Such a shame.

Not really. We would have to win it in overtime. Still, we're not 6-3, but 5-5. This team is too frustrating. We only had one real blowout loss. Every other loss has came from the one-yard line or a missed field goal. Such a shame.

Hm. Let me say 3 missed field goals then.

EDIT: And yeah. I'll probably die at 40 thanks to all these years the Texans are shaving off of my life.

Last edited:
Hm. Let me say 3 missed field goals then.

EDIT: And yeah. I'll probably die at 40 thanks to all these years the Texans are shaving off of my life.

count yourself lucky as not having to have spent your childhood following the Houston Suck...err...Houston Oilers.

And that's by writing the biggest check Cowher will see, to go with the most control of a franchise that is possible. McNair has to put it all on the line in pursuit of a coach that will give his franchise instant credibility. Let's find out if Bob McNair wants to become a champion.

I am kind of concerned about this, as I want Cowher as a coach or hybrid, not FO only. As I recall he was pimping Russ Grimm pretty hard a couple of years ago and don't want a rookie in the FO (Cowher), with total control, and as head coach (Grimm) again.

What I do like about Cowher is that Rooney background and some of the characteristics that come with their model - shrewd, build through the draft, loyalty, community. Kind of smells like where we are with the Texans.

As an aside the Kubiak hot seat talk has officially gone national with Clayton yesterday and Mortensen today, which makes me happy. Now we will see if these players want to play for Kubiak.

Texans D as a 34?

Smith-Okoye-Mario
Barwin-Cushing-Ryans-Diles
1st round pick-Pollard-Quin-Reeves

That's kind of ugly. No, that's awful. Some interesting shuffling would have to take place and the mythical "space eating" DT would definitely be a priority. Casey Hampton following Cowher? What?! As long as were going down hypothetical situations.....maybe like:

Smith-Hampton-Okoye
Barwin-Cushing-Ryans-Williams
Quin-Pollard-Taylor Mays-Reeves

That would be fun.

I have hoped for nothing but the best for Kubiak. He's a good man who deserves the chance to succeed. I'm just really starting to worry about the game management and play calling. And, as someone posted before, we play "scared" too much at the end of games. Like Oakland and San Francisco. We looked like we were playing not to lose, instead of playing to win. I just really want to see us go for the jugular some time.

IND @ HOU IND 10-0 = L Only chance is they overlook us.
HOU @ JAC JAC 6-4 4-1 @ home = L We have a chance but we'll see.
SEA @ HOU SEA 3-7 = W or bye bye Kubiack
HOU @ STL STL 1-9 = W or bye bye Kubiack
HOU @ MIA MIA 5-5 3-2 home = Even Should win IMO but not a gimme.
NE @ HOU NE 7-3 1-3 road but playing for a playoff spot. = L

I think Kubiak is gone. We have 3 games against good teams and 3 games against bad teams. Most likely we finish those 6 games 3 and 3. Is 8-8 really good enough for this team? NO!

First off for Kubiak to keep his job we must beat Seattle and St Louis. Losses to either of those teams would show lack of focus and a need to go in another direction IMO and i'll bet McNair feels the same. Add to that no more than 2 losses in the other 4 games.

In other words Kubiack needs to win 4 out of the next six to keep his job IMO. There is no way McNair brings him back if we go less than 9-7 with a coach like Cowher out there saying hes interested. And 9-7 might get him gone under the right circumstances.

His best shot at staying really rest on 4 specific games. Seattle, St Louis, Miami and Jacksonville. Pull ALL those out and theres a chance. I dont see us winning at Indy or against NE whos in a playoff hunt.

You guys think what you want but come Saturday, im going to start scouting 3/4 defensive players for next years draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back