Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

HC possibilities - Cowher is the current flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cowher wants to go where he can win, and win in the spotlight. Neither Carolina nor DC offers that. At least not any more than Houston does. Where would YOU rather coach? Look at all three phases of football, and where your strength is. Houston is Cowher's best option to WIN. But the question is, is it enough exposure for him?

Where did Cowher play his college ball? Where does he live currently? Hint: not in Houston.

If you were Bill Cowher . . . would you want to coach the Houston freaking Texans????

Like they say on ESPN . . . C'mon Man!

1. We have talent. AJ, Schaub, KW, OD, Slaton, Chris Brown on offense. For the 3-4 he loves so much, we have killer speed DE's in MARIO and Barwin, and great LB's with Ryans and Cushing. (NT is an admitted weakness in the 3-4, but that can be worked on)

2. The NY market is not going to open up any time soon with the Jets doing well with Rex Ryan and the Giants the (debatable) best team in football with Coughlin. No way does he consider Oakland on the west coast either.

3. Great facilities, great winter climate.

And why he WOULDN'T come to Houston...

The Dallas Cowboys will have a coaching vacancy in 2010.

One reason he may not want Dallas?....Jerry Jones and Tony Who knows...

If you were Bill Cowher . . . would you want to coach the Houston freaking Texans????

Like they say on ESPN . . . C'mon Man!

The upside for him coming to Houston is huge though, could you imagine if Cowher came to Houston and delivered an NFL championship that this city has been wanting for 30+ years?

He'd have a key to the city, panties would fall from the sky, the sun would always shine no matter where he walked in Houston, etc, etc, etc..

1. We have talent. AJ, Schaub, KW, OD, Slaton, Chris Brown on offense. For the 3-4 he loves so much, we have killer speed DE's in MARIO and Barwin, and great LB's with Ryans and Cushing. (NT is an admitted weakness in the 3-4, but that can be worked on)

2. The NY market is not going to open up any time soon with the Jets doing well with Rex Ryan and the Giants the (debatable) best team in football with Coughlin. No way does he consider Oakland on the west coast either.

3. Great facilities, great winter climate.

And why he WOULDN'T come to Houston...

The Dallas Cowboys will have a coaching vacancy in 2010.
No one seems to think Cowher would come to Houston even if McNair chose to open the vault. You seemingly gloss over the huge hole of not having a NT for the 3-4. Where do you get one? None available in next draft and none I see in free agency. It is like the Rockets saying we don't have a center then calling Australia, you can plug the hole and still not accomplish much.

I don't know what kind of crank someone of you doing saying the Cowboys job isn't more attractive than Houston.

I'm not the biggest fan of the City or of the team, but the only draw back to that job is dealing with Jerruh Jones.

No one seems to think Cowher would come to Houston even if McNair chose to open the vault. You seemingly gloss over the huge hole of not having a NT for the 3-4. Where do you get one? None available in next draft and none I see in free agency. It is like the Rockets saying we don't have a center then calling Australia, you can plug the hole and still not accomplish much.

Where Cowher lands, he'll attract players. Free agents will WANT to play for him. Hypothetically speaking, they would likely plug the hole with Okoye or Robinson the first year, or package Okoye in a trade to a team with a 4-3 to find a stop-gap, until they landed their guy a season or two later.

As far as him going to Carolina, just because he LIVES in Carolina does not mean he'd want to coach there. That's just speculation. Texas is a 2-hour flight from Carolina. His youngest daughter is a senior now, and will be in college somewhere next year, so I don't think location is quite as crucial as it was when he resigned from the Steelers. He's going to want to go somewhere that has a good foundation and will be in the spotlight. Houston fits the foundation part of the bill way more than any other probable NFL franchises that will potentially have a vacancy. Cowher himself often comments on CBS about how good the Texans personnel foundation is. Fact is, though, Dallas is a more attractive option because of their media attention, and Jerruh would sell out to get Cowher like he did for Parcells.

One point I don't see being raised in going after these high-profile coaches. I think their success also depends on their assistant coaches. Most of those assistants are HC's now. Do you think (hypothethically) that if we get Cowher, is the current DC of Pittsburgh going to leave to come here? Or his old assistants give up their HC gigs?

/\ Thanks D. Lee - I was wondering where all this "oh he's only going to city x or y because he's from there" stuff was coming from. I don't recall seeing an "official" document from Cowher noting those cities on his list or written anywhere that he said that.

I would agree with some posters - if it came down to Dallas or Houston (taking personal bias out if possible) would you rather work for Bob or Jerrah?

I'm with ya' man. The Texans haven't built up a good enough reputation to attract coaches like Cowher.

Exactly. He can name his city and his jobs, which probably means both the HC and GM positions. And still doubt that would be enough to entice him to locate in Houston.

Where Cowher lands, he'll attract players. Free agents will WANT to play for him. Hypothetically speaking, they would likely plug the hole with Okoye or Robinson the first year, or package Okoye in a trade to a team with a 4-3 to find a stop-gap, until they landed their guy a season or two later.

As far as him going to Carolina, just because he LIVES in Carolina does not mean he'd want to coach there. That's just speculation. Texas is a 2-hour flight from Carolina. His youngest daughter is a senior now, and will be in college somewhere next year, so I don't think location is quite as crucial as it was when he resigned from the Steelers. He's going to want to go somewhere that has a good foundation and will be in the spotlight. Houston fits the foundation part of the bill way more than any other probable NFL franchises that will potentially have a vacancy. Cowher himself often comments on CBS about how good the Texans personnel foundation is. Fact is, though, Dallas is a more attractive option because of their media attention, and Jerruh would sell out to get Cowher like he did for Parcells.
Cowher will attract FA of course, there just are not any DTs. You really want any of our current DTs as your Nose in a 3-4? (shudders)Why would any 4-3 team give you a starting DT for Okoye? You want to tell this fan base that you are changing defenses now? At least if you went to a 3-4 you might go after Wade Phillips as your DC after he gets fired, I guess.

One point I don't see being raised in going after these high-profile coaches. I think their success also depends on their assistant coaches. Most of those assistants are HC's now. Do you think (hypothethically) that if we get Cowher, is the current DC of Pittsburgh going to leave to come here? Or his old assistants give up their HC gigs?

Excellent point. Everyone seems to think that Cowher orchestrated the Pittsburgh defense that won his Super Bowl. I say it's Dick LeBeau. LeBeau was the defensive coordinator for both the 2005 AND 2008 Super Bowl teams.

I'd rather have Dick LeBeau here as HC and to oversee our defense than Cowher here with who knows what coaching staff.

Cowher will attract FA of course, there just are not any DTs. You really want any of our current DTs as your Nose in a 3-4? (shudders)Why would any 4-3 team give you a starting DT for Okoye? You want to tell this fan base that you are changing defenses now? At least if you went to a 3-4 you might go after Wade Phillips as your DC after he gets fired, I guess.

I said Okoye in some sort of package deal with another player of need to send somewhere with a 4-3. Maybe Okoye, Grossman, and Jacoby Jones to Washington for an underperforming and overpaid Haynesworth? If I was Washington, I think I might do that deal.

I still don't think Cowher would come here, and I don't think Kubiak will be fired this year. This is all hypothetical, so I'm just having fun with it.

I said Okoye in some sort of package deal with another player of need to send somewhere with a 4-3. Maybe Okoye, Grossman, and Jacoby Jones to Washington for an underperforming and overpaid Haynesworth? If I was Washington, I think I might do that deal.

I still don't think Cowher would come here, and I don't think Kubiak will be fired this year. This is all hypothetical, so I'm just having fun with it.
DerekLee, do you read your posts my friend? If Hainesworth is not performing, why would we want his fat body and fat salary here? Now if the right NT was available I might trade those three but it would have to be awesome. Okoye has looked better last two games and JJ is on a roll for pro bowl consideration as of today so it would have to be a pretty solid guy coming here. At least you are offering options.

DerekLee, do you read your posts my friend? If Hainesworth is not performing, why would we want his fat body and fat salary here? Now if the right NT was available I might trade those three but it would have to be awesome. Okoye has looked better last two games and JJ is on a roll for pro bowl consideration as of today so it would have to be a pretty solid guy coming here. At least you are offering options.

Redskins shopping Anthony Montgomery. Height: 6-6 Weight: 330 Age: 25 He might be worth a look. Haynseworth took his place.

I just wanted to be the first to post it. This was it for Kubiak. He plays NOT lose rather than win. Not calling a timeout and at least taking one shot at the end zone with 8 seconds made no sense. It showed exactly the way he thinks. Too conservative.

Bill Cowher will be the coach in 2010.

I would love it if Bill Cowher came. But, Kubiak wasn't THAT bad. He messed up by having Brown out there, but he didn't miss a relatively easy FG...two games in a row...

Bill Cowher will never coach in Houston. He will use them to drive his price up, though.

But just to throw fuel on the flame - NFL.com reports that Bill Cowher's short list is Carolina, Chicago, and Houston. Let the hysteria begin...er, continue.

LINK

I would love it if Bill Cowher came. But, Kubiak wasn't THAT bad. He messed up by having Brown out there, but he didn't miss a relatively easy FG...two games in a row...

But he did prepare this team for two weeks prior to this game. I agree he can't play the game for them, but their is more wrong with this team than Kris Brown missing a field goal.

Bill Cowher will never coach in Houston. He will use them to drive his price up, though.

But just to throw fuel on the flame - NFL.com reports that Bill Cowher's short list is Carolina, Chicago, and Houston. Let the hysteria begin...er, continue.

LINK

I've long believed that Cowher is a midwest kinda guy, and when Lerner cleans house again, is gonna hand Cowher a blank check. The fans there are starting to revolt and the owner has to do something drastic - Cowher fits the bill there, and it's not that far a flight to NC for him.

Assuming the Texans job did come open, it would be an attractive position for many coaches. We have talented players on both sides of the ball. They just don't know how to win. Starts from the top.

Please please stop with these Bill Cowher to Houston threads. Anyone suggesting that is very misinformed as to where or what Cowher wants to do with his career. Coaching the Texans is not even on his radar. Stop with this stuff. It's old now.

Has Cowher ever said or done anything that says he doesn't want to come to Houston?

I really don't understand why not, so someone fill me in.

Especially when this team lost 4 heartbreaking games outta 5. There is potential there and this would be a pretty attractive job for any coach. At least they know they have a QB unlike Carolina and tons of offensive weapons unlike Chicago. If the Texans offer the correct money I don't see guys running from the job.

Kubiak is here to stay. I like the guy, and think if we have enough patience with him he will get us going places. He still makes some very questionable decisions, but it's not his fault his kicker misses easy FGs, or Chris Brown fumbles at the 1 yard line.

OK, let me say this first - I like Gary Kubiak as a person. He is a good man, a good offensive coordinator, and an Aggie. But after all this time I am ready to say ENOUGH. True, it wasn't Kubiak missing FGs, dropping passes, or not tackling people. But he is the HEAD COACH - he sets the tone for the whole team. There are too many times the Texans look like there coach - complacent and kind of "aw shucks I missed that one." The Texans lack an identity. They don't play with the fire that is required to win in the NFL. Football is a violent game, played with tons of emotion. Look at Jeff Fisher on the sidelines - he gets into the game and his players follow his lead. When the Titans were 0-6 Fisher put a Manning jersey on and said he wanted to look like a winner. He was criticized, but his players were motivated and they turned around their play. Agian I like Kubes, I think he is great OC, just probably not a head coach. Many great OC could not make it as head coach. A head coach has to be agreat leader who surrounds himself with great coordinators. I think it may be time for a change after this season.

On that note, this is on NFL.com : " The Houston Texans and Chicago Bears would excite Cowher as well, according to a source, should they opt to make a move." Here is the link http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81471061&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I rooted for Kubiac to come here but I'm really starting to have my doubts. This team just isn't what I wanted to see on the field. We are way too much of a finesse team for my taste. Our line play stinks on both sides of the ball.

I doubt he will but I'd say Bob should at least make the phone call at the end of the season.

I think he will be gone if we don't make the playoffs. I have the utmost amount of respect for Bob McNair. He brought football back to my hometown, against all odds, against all the LA nut huggers who tried to bring a team back there. He is a successful man who doesn't like to lose. He deserves to win as much as anyone for the chance he took in bringing us the Texans. I believe he sees the potential in this team right now. He said this team is expected to complete and be a playoff caliber team. Hiring Bill Cowher would be a huge splash around the NFL. He would bring the credibility that we are seeking.

If he doesn't want to pay the money to get Cowher, I am available for a couple hundred thousand a year...

Cowher would be good in a few years if he's still available(whivh he won't be) and Kubes still isn't getting it done, but how would we be able to run the ball the way he would want to with these middle schoolers we have for o-linemen?

Kubiak will be the coach next year.

As he should be. This franchise should not have a revolving door for the head coach. Kubiak has turned this team into a winner with a winning attitude. Yeah, there have been a few tough breaks here and there this season, and it sucks and it's painful and all that. But we didn't lose those because of coaching. I say you have to stick with him.

I'll admit immediately after the game I was in the "fire everyone, fire them all, find out where their wives and kids work and fire them too" mode.

I think Kubiak will still be here next year, I think we'll probably finish 9-7, and that will be good enough to save his job. He'll get one more draft, one more year's experience for the NFL's youngest team then they'll see what the team can do.

As much as I want to be a "win now" team, I just as much don't want to be the Houston version of the Browns and the crazy moves that team is ridiculed for.

(Had to edit, I had us playing 17 regular season games)

As he should be. This franchise should not have a revolving door for the head coach. Kubiak has turned this team into a winner with a winning attitude. Yeah, there have been a few tough breaks here and there this season, and it sucks and it's painful and all that. But we didn't lose those because of coaching. I say you have to stick with him.

I agree to a certain extent. The attitude has changed. But we still have no identity as a team. We seem to play with a lackadaisical effort way too often. Look at shots of Schaub after a bad throw or dropped pass. Too often he has that "dang I can't believe that happened" puppy dog look. As much as I dislike VY, the man has a fire in him and a desire to win. We need that on our team. From our players. And it starts with the head coach. He has to set the example, get fired up, chew some butt, challenge a player to fight if he needs to. I liek him, and want him to suceed. I'm just thinking he may be a great OC who doesn't have the mentality to be a head coach.

I agree to a certain extent. The attitude has changed. But we still have no identity as a team. We seem to play with a lackadaisical effort way too often. Look at shots of Schaub after a bad throw or dropped pass. Too often he has that "dang I can't believe that happened" puppy dog look. As much as I dislike VY, the man has a fire in him and a desire to win. We need that on our team. From our players. And it starts with the head coach. He has to set the example, get fired up, chew some butt, challenge a player to fight if he needs to. I like him, and want him to suceed. I'm just thinking he may be a great OC who doesn't have the mentality to be a head coach.

And that's Bill Cowher:

bill-cowher-lips.jpg

He's turned this franchise into a winner? In what bizzaro-world do you live where a coach with a losing record, coaching a team who's never had a winning record, is a winning franchise?

Kubiak and Smith have done well to turn over the talent on this team. But, if Kubiak can't get this team into the playoffs by his fourth season, it's time to move on and find someone who can.

That said, barring a major implosion, I think McNair let's him have one more year to get us to the playoffs. If he does, he gets a contract extension; if he doesn't we get a new HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back